Why aren't moods seen in in-game cut-scenes?!

Machine-Elf

Because in cutscenes your facial animations are set by the game engine, otherwise your lips wouldn't move, eyes would not fit the situation, and so on. Moods are a trick from the cutscenes brought outside cutscenes, not the other way round.

Uh, yeah I'm sure this is far from being set in stone and programming around it wouldn't exactly be what you'd call a gargantuan feat. In fact I remember a patch note that explicitly said "moods can now be used in in-game cutscenes as intended" -- but it turned out to be one of those "fixes" that ended up not really fixing anything.

Edited by Machine-Elf

You say it's a no-brainer and that it's a non gargantuan feet. From my understanding encoding a cut scene is quite in depth and this would add an exponential level of difficulty to it.

On top of this, you have emotional queues based on what's going in the story. Is your set mood supposed to override what the story says your character should feel or vice versa?

While my initial gut reaction was the same as the OPs the more I thought about it, it's more complicated then it sounds and might actually take away from the feel of game if implemented.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

You say it's a no-brainer and that it's a non gargantuan feet. From my understanding encoding a cut scene is quite in depth and this would add an exponential level of difficulty to it..

A lot less in depth than developing a legacy system (1.2), a new warzone (1.6), a recurring event and achievement system (1.7), and all the different flashpoints and operations they've churned out so far.

Edited by Machine-Elf

A lot less in depth than developing a legacy system (1.2), a new warzone (1.6), a recurring event and achievement system (1.7), and all the different flashpoints and operations they've churned out so far.

You think so? The would have to redo all the art and animations for each mood for every single cutscene in the game. I don't even remember how many moods there are, for some reason I want to say 16, but that could easily be wrong. So for every cutscene they would need to redo all the art and animation for the PCs for 16 times each, maybe more if I have the number of moods wrong. Think how many cutscenese there are in the game? Probably 100 just for you class quest alone. So to just include moods in your class quest cutscenes that would require 12,800 cutscenes or more (16 moods * 8 classes * 100 cutscenes). And again, that's just cass quests and I'm willing to bet I am WAY LOW on the number of cutscenes for class quests and moods as well.

What you are suggesting would take probably 6 months to a year of dedicated development to complete. And during all that time no other minor bugs, game enhancements or new content would be being generated, because they were too busy making sure the happy mood showed up properly.

Also remember that the mood emotes were added well after launch, IE. well after all of those cutscenes were created, hence why they would all have to be completely redone due to the code base for cutscenese not supporting it currently.