Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you planning for us, BW?

Call me cynical, but knowing how literal Bioware likes to be in order to do as little as possible, I'm going to predict that after this big hint that they are working on something they think we will like for space, we're about to see the unveiling of Tunnel shooters where a second player has control over the gunnery sight.

Edited by Tarka

Call me cynical, but knowing how literal Bioware likes to be in order to do as little as possible, I'm going to predict that after this big hint that they are working on something they think we will like for space, we're about to see the unveiling of Tunnel shooters where a second player has control over the gunnery sight.

Cynical. ;)

Would love to see them add Guild ships to the game and come up with guild ship space missions where somone pilots the ship, someone else is navigator, and the others maning the gun turrets. :cool:

I believe they stated they want to add guild capital ships in the future.

Oh the potential for this game.

:)

I foresee many space bars getting a work out from folks trying to give their turret gunners motion sickness.

I think that Star Wars Galaxies had great space combat because you could actually man the turrets and fight while someone piloted the ship.

I also liked how it let you move freely throughout the map.

That would be awesome if swtor would do that.

That would blow and not in the way of having fun blasting things.

BTW great post OP, still you could have saved much effort saying:

1) BioWare deceived us

2) The space shooter blows

3) They don't want to add 3D free flight, multiplayer movement

4) You'd better quit the game now if you are waiting for a nice space sim.

I've said this before, but I'd be perfectly happy with space combat if they just connected it to my character.

Why is my Smuggler working for the Republic instead of smuggling goods past them?

I don't care if they used the exact same missions as long as they'd change them just enough to make it so I'm actually trying to escape law enforcement or trying to get smuggled goods past some capital ships.

And my Bounty Hunter should be chasing marks through space, not defending the Empire.

I don't mind the space mini-game; I just don't like the disconnect it has to my character.

Only read the lats few padges, but here's my two cents.

I hate that I only need one frigging captial ship turret, but just make pass after pass after pass on the station that I have allready obliterated.

Now, I'm not much for flying games, but it would be nice if I could say to the pilot "Hey! captial ships are that way!"

Maybe it's just me, but as a long-time Flight-sim enthusiast, but a newcomer to the MMO, I can really get "into character" in the ground-based stuff, to the point where, say, I'm on Drommond Kaas running thru the rain, and I'm surprised MY hair isn't wet. But when I enter a space-combat segment, I feel like I'm in a 1980s video-game arcade playing the original Star Wars game...

Nice to see the old 3D-Space Comabt guard in the saddle again. I cancelled my sub at least till the moment when that "ongoing SCS project" will be revealed and described.

I don't need another Star World of Warcraft, i need a Star Wars.

Finally, i need more depth in the every other aspect of SWTOR too. This theme park with the fail-rail space attraction bored me like a hell.

Hey Galius!

I'm glad to see you're still around.

I to would like an answer about full control space combat.

You'd think the hundreds of thousands of posts pre-launch would have gotten us some response.

Keep hope alive, m8.

Good to see you too...

I have little to no faith at this time in Biowares direct for space combat. They have chosen to not only keep us in the dark but do so in such a way that it only breeds discontent.

I have played the space combat a total of two times. Once during beta, and once after game has gone live. I can guarantee you I have not missed out on anything worth doing.

Seeing as they can't even change the skins of your ship, doing something like pvp or free roam for space combat seems to be out of the question. If they can't even figur out how to change the color of a ship or even add new ones not sure how anything else can be added.

I am betting their big SPACE thing is going to be co op rail shooter, which in turn is garbage. Just another thing Bioware could of done before launch. I believe this will be a big issue with others and that's why they haven't said anything. I really really hope I am wrong...:(

I find myself wondering something.

Back in the days of long ago, there was a game called Wing Commander. It was, in my opinion, the finest space combat game ever created.. and it was made way back in 1992.

There were five main-thread versions of that game, and a couple of spinoff sequels such as Privateer.

They were all made by a company called Origin.. which was bought out by EA when Wing Commander - Prophecy was an abysmal failure.

How hard would it be to integrate the existing space sim combat code into a mini-game in this game? They already own the code.. and WC-P was written about ten years ago. It could be slimmed down pretty easily, I'd think.

TLDR: I love SWTOR so far but wish for more meaningfull space content SOMEDAY down the road.

Whether you like space or not, why would a company develop a game with this kind of budget and so many well thought out innovations; innovated crafting, innovated companion system, innovated combat (choreographed LS duels and cover mechanic), innovated stories with choice, innovated full voice over, etc, want to trivialize any aspect of their game? Would it not have been better to leave a system not set to the standards and quality of the rest of the game out, at least until it could be brought up to such standards, rather than have a "meh, it'll do" mechanic within your system? Thank you for your time, and have a pleasant day.

For me 3D space combat is a must have. I'm a Smuggler who can't fly a space ship... I can only ride in one, and man the turret.

Also, the new space missions I've unlocked, while having different names, are the same as the old space missions just harder. (how many different missions do I need to hunt down a prototype fighter?)

examples of other mission types: Image how cool it would be to to have to "Run a blockade" in a 3D environment while overwhelming numbers engage your single ship as your crew calculates the jump to light speed.

Or there's and interdiction cruiser that must be disabled to jump or any host of other ideas that add meaning to the space game, including the first and second sets of space missions. For me the space missions didn't start failing completely until the level 3 missions.

Also, I have two turrets in my ship why can't my one of my crew members man one with reduced damage (very reduced) just to give the feel that I'm actually in a dog fight where my crew cares about the outcome.

I realize that I've brought up a lot more than 3d space flight but I feel that all of this is required to really optimize space combat into an integral part of the game. Still the most necessary aspect of that would certainly be 3D flight. :csw_falcon:

They were all made by a company called Origin.. which was bought out by EA when Wing Commander - Prophecy was an abysmal failure.

How hard would it be to integrate the existing space sim combat code into a mini-game in this game? They already own the code.. and WC-P was written about ten years ago. It could be slimmed down pretty easily, I'd think.

Yes and EA already owns a free-flight space mmorpg that was shut down 7 years ago. Is it something they could do, of course. Is it something they will do, nope.

EA and good business sense have never really been in the same room with each other never mind same sentence.

Years ago they had a beta out for Multi-Player Battletech : 3025. It was amazing. Tons of fun.

They cancelled it before it ever gold in order to give us gems like Majestic (flop), Motor City Online (Flop), Earth and Beyond (Flop)....

So now they have in thier grubby little hands one of the most sought after IPs and they refuse to abuse it to it's full potential...

Yay.. one I do agree with!

Got my post in the general area closed down... Guess im far from the only one that wants the space aspect of the game to actually be something that has anything to do with space.. the current space fight system is quite point less...

Walking around in my spaceship and looking out of the window and see the planet or station I am gonna visit is very nice! But I dont understand why they didnt leave at that instead of giving that pointless spacesim.... Hell Tyrian was more fun and better costumized than this :(

I REALY hope they fix it

Edited by VonAlex

Yay.. one I do agree with!

Got my post in the general area closed down... Guess im far from the only one that wants the space aspect of the game to actually be something that has anything to do with space.. the current space fight system is quite point less...

Walking around in my spaceship and looking out of the window and see the planet or station I am gonna visit is very nice! But I dont understand why they didnt leave at that instead of giving that pointless spacesim.... Hell Tyrian was more fun and better costumized than this :(

I REALY hope they fix it

Because a lot of us really enjoy that space combat system.

I've not played the "Excel in Space" game that some people play, but I have played a certain other Sci-Fi MMORPG with a really popular IP and I much prefer TOR space combat over the other at this point. It's much more exciting, much more kinetic and active, and is something that I enjoy playing multiple times without becoming bored of it.

Would I like something more? Absolutely. I'd love open space PVP with individual players in smaller ships and guilds running capital ships.

But I understand why they added this part into the game. It's fun and it's still Star Wars, and it's a lot easier than the hassles we used to put up with with X-Wing. It's something I can log in and play for a half hour and run a few different missions and be done with it.

I also remember the HUGE outcry from the fan base that resulted when BioWare suggested space wasn't going to be a huge part of the game. The game HAD to have space in it, the fans said, we HAD to have ships of our own, and BioWare did what they had to do to get a space component into the game by launch time.

I'm interested to know what this hush-hush space project is that's going on in BW somewhere. Hopefully we'll get details on that by summer time if not before then...

Wow, this is still going?

While I still feel that there is nothing wrong with wanting more multiplayer content in a pay-to-play multiplayer game... While playing TOR I have noticed that this game has some major problems in, and shortcomings with, its design. Addressing those problems should probably take precedence over adding multiplayer space combat.

The "primary gameplay experience" is way too linear, and way too short, just for starters. BioWare has their work cut out for them and until they can whip the fundamentals into shape... Well, multiplayer space combat should probably wait for an xpac.

Edited by SirRobin