"Girlfriend Friendly" classes?

grallmate

Hey all,

So I've convinced my GF to give the game a shot now that its gone F2P (I'll probably chuck a months sub on her account anyway so she doesn't hate it though). Since then I've been trying to think of what she should play. I told her I wouldn't make her heal and shes never played an MMO before so I was wondering what other people considered to be "Girlfriend Friendly" classes. I'm planning to roll an alt from the same starting planet to level with her and I'll go tank or healer and probably just get her to DPS.

I was thinking Pyro PT and I'd have rolled an Op healer or Sorc and I'd have rolled a Jugg tank. But then she decided she wanted to play Republic side. Vanguard just isn't as cool and I already have a Scoundrel healer. Same deal with Sage and Guardian tank.

My thoughts are:

'Slinger: Great ranged DPS, cover takes some getting used to and bottoming out energy really hurt. I'd probably roll a Vanguard tank to accompany her.

Sage: Good ranged DPS, resource management is a joke. Nice and easy but boring story and doesn't feel "Sagey" until after level 10. I'd roll a Shadow tank to match.

Commando: Simple rotation, same resource issue as 'Slinger but heavy armour might help her out a bit. I'd probably roll a Vanguard or 'Slinger to match.

Sentinel: Great damage, 2 sabers and easy resource management but its melee and has tonnes of abilities. Shadow tank again.

Guardian: Same as Sent, but with heavy armour.

Scoundrel: Stealth, melts things but melee, no gap closer and squishy. Also has variable resources.

Vanguard: Great damage, easy class (Assault spec). Animations are boring and variable resources. Probably pair with a Commando healer.

So far I've capped a Sage, Guardian, Assassin and Scoundrel as heal or tank spec and a Sniper DPS. I've also got a Chapter 3 PT so I know a fair bit about those classes. My Marauder and Commando are still, well, a Warrior and Trooper.

Really, I just want something easy, effective and/or fun for her. Any input would be appreciated. Bonus points if you have feedback from "non-MMO gamer" partners.

For easiness:

PT and get her to start as tank. New player to mmo learn pve mechanics better as tank. She can always switch later to dps if she doesn't like tank. Needless to say PT is pvp-friendly.

For fun:

Stealthy class. She assassin, you operative. That combo can clear all H4 and FP without waiting for 4 people group, and is super fun for pvp.

And tell her dark side has all the cool looking gears :p

Edited by Banegio

Thanks for the thoughts. Thats almost exactly what I thought at first. Then she decided she wanted to run Republic and the mirrors just aren't as cool. I wanted to start on the same planet as her but dual stealthers does have a certain (massive) appeal.

Might have to try again to convince her to run Sith side. Any other inputs?

So... she wants you to choose for her? Well... fair enough, then, I guess.

Don't worry about the mechanics... you can help her with that while you're playing. And, you can pick whichever class best compliments whatever she's playing, to keep things moving. The story is the main draw for many here, so if you want her to keep playing, then getting her invested in one seems to be the way to go. Pick the class with the story you think she'd enjoy the most.

Hey all,

So I've convinced my GF to give the game a shot now that its gone F2P (I'll probably chuck a months sub on her account anyway so she doesn't hate it though). Since then I've been trying to think of what she should play. I told her I wouldn't make her heal and shes never played an MMO before so I was wondering what other people considered to be "Girlfriend Friendly" classes. I'm planning to roll an alt from the same starting planet to level with her and I'll go tank or healer and probably just get her to DPS.

I was thinking Pyro PT and I'd have rolled an Op healer or Sorc and I'd have rolled a Jugg tank. But then she decided she wanted to play Republic side. Vanguard just isn't as cool and I already have a Scoundrel healer. Same deal with Sage and Guardian tank.

My thoughts are:

'Slinger: Great ranged DPS, cover takes some getting used to and bottoming out energy really hurt. I'd probably roll a Vanguard tank to accompany her.

Sage: Good ranged DPS, resource management is a joke. Nice and easy but boring story and doesn't feel "Sagey" until after level 10. I'd roll a Shadow tank to match.

Commando: Simple rotation, same resource issue as 'Slinger but heavy armour might help her out a bit. I'd probably roll a Vanguard or 'Slinger to match.

Sentinel: Great damage, 2 sabers and easy resource management but its melee and has tonnes of abilities. Shadow tank again.

Guardian: Same as Sent, but with heavy armour.

Scoundrel: Stealth, melts things but melee, no gap closer and squishy. Also has variable resources.

Vanguard: Great damage, easy class (Assault spec). Animations are boring and variable resources. Probably pair with a Commando healer.

So far I've capped a Sage, Guardian, Assassin and Scoundrel as heal or tank spec and a Sniper DPS. I've also got a Chapter 3 PT so I know a fair bit about those classes. My Marauder and Commando are still, well, a Warrior and Trooper.

Really, I just want something easy, effective and/or fun for her. Any input would be appreciated. Bonus points if you have feedback from "non-MMO gamer" partners.

my GF plays Pyrotech, and she loves that, its the easiest class in swtor imao, no rotation and much fun. I recomend this. She often tops charts in pvp, and she plays ranked with us with good results, cannot beat only smashers /OP/.

gl

Basically, she just wants to be told what class to play. She doesn't care about the story, or the effectiveness or the playstyle. I want a class that she'll enjoy so she keeps playing :p

Not sure why you fear suggesting something with a resource system more complex than a "flat" bar. She's just newbie - she's not dumb (I hope). Explain the basics of Agent resources to her (KEEP ABOVE 60 - as general rule, at least), and I guarantee she'll have tons of fun with Operative thanks to great animations, amazing story and some nice-looking gear.

Would no suggest BH though, because the story there can be pretty crude, unless she's into "boy's stuff" like fistfights, insults and bragging.

I'd say BH for first char, you get healer as first companion which makes learning curve friendly. Pyro or Tank tree is user friendly too (prodobly tank in dps gear a bit more)

Or, Assassin. Only problem with asa is healer in late game which can make leveling and learning a bit hard for newbie.

p.s. don't treat your gf as half mind person... they are humans like us :p

mine beats me in shooters all the times.... :o

Edited by Atramar

I generally level with my brother, and we're working on our fourth pair of 50s, so we have a decent idea of what leveling combos are the smoothest. :-)

Short answer, from a class composition perspective, go double DPS. You will have absolutely no trouble with anything except heroics while leveling, and even then you should be able to make it through with a healer pet and enough Presence. As for which class specifically, I love TK Sage. I've played most classes in the game, and TK is the most fun DPS spec by far. A lot of intricacy, fairly consistent burst and strong AoE (important for leveling). Also, a DPS sage provides off-healing, which makes the double-DPS combo even stronger while leveling. So, from a mechanical perspective, she should pick a Sage and go TK, and you should level a Sentinel.

Unfortunately, the Sage story is painfully awful. My first class was a shadow, and I adore the class, but the story was really, really bad. From a story perspective, the best class is the Smuggler, with the Knight following up. The Trooper is third, with the Sage falling far to the rear. The gunslinger is a very fun class to play, and not really that difficult. Energy management is easy in certain specs (especially Sharpshooter), and the cover mechanic isn't that unintuititve. Scoundrel is pretty fun too, but it's melee, which can be a little more hectic. In either case, you should level a Vanguard with her and go Assault spec. The trooper storyline is pretty fun to see, even in spectator mode.

From the perspective of learning MMO mechanics, you can't beat tanking. I leveled as a tank as an MMO noob and I learned *so* much. Vanguard tanking is quite easy, almost boring, and leaves a lot of brain power open for studying game mechanics and strategy. You should level a gunslinger if she goes Vanguard.

I really don't recommend leveling the same class together, since you'll have to do every class phase twice and you'll miss out in the "secondary" storyline in spectator mode.

So, from a mechanical perspective, Sage+Sentinel. From a story perspective, Gunslinger+Vanguard. From a learning perspective, Vanguard+Gunslinger.

I don't advise a Healer Class

Why is everyone assuming a girlfriend would want to play a supporting, healing role? Considering she is a newbie, SHE might need the supporting. She should consider a tank or DPS.

I don't advise Republic

Firstly, she may not like the Republic as much as you think. I can tell you, I started playing in January with a group of guys and girls and the girls were among the quickest to get bored with the republic.

Imperial Agent or Scoundrel

Just based on the women I know who have played this, they have enjoyed these classes the best. Generally, the IA storyline seems to be accepted as the best in the game, or at least one of the best. Haven't heard the same said for scoundrel.

Maybe you should both start up NEW characters EMPIRE side. You may be surprised.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

I don't know if you want some input of an actual female, but I'll give it anyway

do NOT tell her what she might like or not like.

you want to play with her, ok, so naturally you want her to 'play with you'

why the HELL do guys always do that to their non-gamer non-mmo-gamer girlfriends?

you want her to enjoy the game, she wants to play republic... and now you're asking us about a way to coax her into playing empire? really?

you want her to play a class that works with the class you play? really?

how about .you. play a 'fitting' class with the class SHE wants to play?

let her just freaking pick a random class, and if she doesn't like it roll a new one. you get to lvl 10 pretty quickly in this game, especially if you play together, so there is not much time wasted until picking an AC and realising 'ok this is not my play style'.

Girfriends are great pocket healers for leveling, and casual pvp. Shame they can rarely (there are exceptions but few...) hold their own in end-game content. :D

I always see girlfriends playing healer Sages/Sorcerers for some reason.

are you really surprised? the healer is 'the girl's rule' according to 'the gamer boyfriend' (barf)

most people aren't very good at a job they don't really want to do.

Vanguard DPS is the most effective, easiest to play, class. Also the guy that said to have her tank is just flat out wrong. Tanking has a lot more responsibilities and requires that you pay attention to more things. This will either distract her and make her play worse or cause her to not have fun, or more likely both.

Plus if you ever do any group content with her, tanks tend to be abused the most by other players.

Also the people saying Imperial stories are better, thats just an opinion. In my opinion the best to worst stories are:

1. IA

2. JK

3. SW

4. Smug

5. RT

6. BH

7. JC

8. SI

On average, the republic stories are better than the imperial ones.

Edited by Icebergy

If all she cares about is just playing the game with you and not the story or class at all, and on the Republic side, I'd suggest a Smuggler, either class, or the Sage. If you want to have mercy on her, then I'd suggest keeping her to a DPS class since those are much more straightforward and easy to play than a healer or tank.

Gunslingers are easy enough since they just kinda stay in one place and fire, which would be good for her. Scoundrels, like you said, are great with stealth and it would be an added bonus if you two could just bypass all the mobs you wanted. Only tricky thing is that their energy management, as I'm sure you know, is harder to adjust to, so it might be difficult for a newer player like her to do it. Granted, I rolled an Operative as my first ever character and got the hang of it, so who knows.

Sage would probably be the ideal choice though, since their DPS is pretty good and mostly it just involves staying at the same spot at a distance. Resource management doesn't come too much into play here and, as long as she doesn't mind the slower story, she should enjoy this class too. And, there's always the option out there as a healer if she wants to switch things up too.

If she really gets into the game, she'll probably start making choices on her own eventually. The first MMO I ever played, my boyfriend suggested what to play. Several months later, I rerolled a different class, became way better at the game than him, was promoted to officer, etc... :o

Honestly I don't think you can really predict what anyone will like. So far on the Republic side I enjoyed the Consular story more than the Smuggler. I don't mean to get too cliche, but maybe going Sage is the simplest idea.

I'd say going double-Scoundrel might be a good idea. You heal, she picks either dps-spec. The stealth factor brings a lot of fun into the game. And if she wants to try out healing, you can always switch roles.

Also, you might of course consider throwing in another set of characters you'd play together. At the moment me and my girlfriend play two shadows (Infiltration both, level ~30) and a marauder/assassin-pair (I tank, ~lv16). I kinda pointed her to pick up Shadow as her first character, but not directly. She would've maybe preferred to go Imperial, but I pointed out the harsh truth that me and my friends play mostly Republic, so she'd get company more easily there - and later we worked over this and made the Imperial pair. She was set on playing dps, so I presented the possibilities to her. She was intrigued by stealthing, so it came down to Scoundrel or Shadow, and in the end, the double-bladed lightsaber was the point that made her pick Shadow. She played Tython and Coruscant alone and I joined her on Nar Shaddaa (did Hammer Station before that, though). And we're having great fun, even when duoing the content as double-dps - although we're advancing kinda slowly as she started in mid-September.

Edited by Memo-

If she really gets into the game, she'll probably start making choices on her own eventually. The first MMO I ever played, my boyfriend suggested what to play. Several months later, I rerolled a different class, became way better at the game than him, was promoted to officer, etc... :o

Honestly I don't think you can really predict what anyone will like. So far on the Republic side I enjoyed the Consular story more than the Smuggler. I don't mean to get too cliche, but maybe going Sage is the simplest idea.

Yeah that was my thinking. I was just looking for something to get her in the door and (hopefully) hooked.

Thanks to those that provided constructive feedback (and read the thread before posting). As I said a couple of times, she just wants to be told what to play to start with. She's never played an MMO before so has no idea about class differences, roles, mechanics or any of the distinguishing things.

She's started a Bounty Hunter and I'm pairing it with an Operative healer.. Couldn't help but laugh when the first thing her character said was "When do I get to start killing stuff", followed by her spending the next 10 minutes telling me to stop talking because she was busy killing stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts. Thats almost exactly what I thought at first. Then she decided she wanted to run Republic and the mirrors just aren't as cool. I wanted to start on the same planet as her but dual stealthers does have a certain (massive) appeal.

Might have to try again to convince her to run Sith side. Any other inputs?

Assassin or pyro PT worked for me. She was happy to do well in PvP. She'll really enjoy the shared dialogue. There's also no reason you can't level up the class that shares the planet with her, then level up another you want to play more. It's only to 10.

Edited by clearsighted

My wife started playing about 5 months after I did. Now she wants to play more than I want to.

It doesn't matter which class or spec she plays. She doesn't want to play because she finds the game interesting, she wants to play because you do, and she'd like to be able to enjoy something that you enjoy. It's a chance to spend some time together, without you getting all ,"GAWD this movie is BORINGS!" And she wants to understand why you enjoy the game. ~it's gonna kinda suck the fun out of playing the game, until she gets past all that and starts enjoying the game by herself.

My wife is pretty new to gaming & her last game before TOR was Plant's vs. Zombies. She's healing Hardmodes now. And she has never been a Star Wars fan.

My advise is.

1. Try not constantly coach her, let her enjoy being a newb & then help her figure out how to play better when she asks.

2. Have her play a ranged class

3. avoid stealth & the positional attacks (ie backstabbing) ~ she's going to be a keyboard turner ~ get used to it

4. avoid the melee classes & tank specs because the knockbacks & goofy camera angles get old.

5. Don't plan on PvPing together, let her explore that on her own if she's interested

6. Don't bury her under crafted gear "gifts" too hard - it takes the excitement out of recieving a new gear drop.

7. Don't underestimate her ability to learn, or overestimate how difficult it is play this game.

8. Get your patience ready, she's going to do some weird stuff (my wife is unable to pass up an exploding barrel)

9. make sure she understands "respecing" and that she's not stuck with those choices, have her build her own spec, and play around her newb choices ~ it's actually quite fun.

10. play to complement the capacity of her toon, and play at her pace.

Commando & sage are probably going to be her best bets Rep side. - either way she'll enjoy the story with either Yuon or Garza. My wife is playing on 6 different toons now. She finds all of the stories interesting except for the Knight story - which she watched me play when we leveled her main.