Is Min/maxed WH/EWH enough for TFB HM.

Hi all.

I'm a PVP based operative healer and I am the main healer in our RWZ team.

I love the challenge that it poses to keep everybody up and maintain my energy.

Unfortunately, these kinds of matches are rare yet so full of potential to learn to heal under severe stress.

Therefore I've started looking into PvE. In my first day I did LI HM and EV HM.

These were walks in the park and I was severely dissapointed because on my shadow tank some healers seem to struggle with the fight.

The next day I got into a TFB HM. Now I've only ever done everything up until EC HM on my tank. Never anything on my healer, never TFB. I was a pug together with 2 more who joined a gulid run. This was obviously not the best group.

I had read up on the tactics and nothing more.

On the first boss we wiped a few times cuz we messed up the yellow circles combined with the blood pools quite alot. It was cleared after a few times so we moved on to the 2nd boss. The group leader had doubts about my gear since Dread Guard isnt that easy to heal. Yet after a mere 2 tries we cleared it already.

Now my question is. Do you experienced raiders find Min maxed combo of WH and EWH gear to be enough for TFB HM? As a single player or a whole team. I didn't do the other bosses cuz we decided to stop where we were. People had to go.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally won't take someone in PVP gear into TFB HM or EC NiM. The reason being your armorings are flat out HORRIBLE in PVE. You're losing a lot of main stat for that expertise. the mods and enhancements are inferior, but not by a lot. It's definitely the armorings that make it a terrible idea. The enrage timers can be tight for those who aren't in DG to begin with and if I'm bringing in someone I don't know, I"m not purposely going to bring someone in who's missing hundreds of mainstat. Could you be successful? yes, but i'm not taking that risk

I personally won't take someone in PVP gear into TFB HM or EC NiM. The reason being your armorings are flat out HORRIBLE in PVE. You're losing a lot of main stat for that expertise. the mods and enhancements are inferior, but not by a lot. It's definitely the armorings that make it a terrible idea. The enrage timers can be tight for those who aren't in DG to begin with and if I'm bringing in someone I don't know, I"m not purposely going to bring someone in who's missing hundreds of mainstat. Could you be successful? yes, but i'm not taking that risk

Glad you're being honest.

1 point though.

My healing wont be a factor in enrage timers. All i do is keep people up.

First off, any healer worth their salt is going to throw in at least 1-2 attacks when they've got nothing better to do so it's not like you should *only* be keeping people up. It behooves you to actually throw out the occasional attack, especially as an Operative where you get easy access to excellent damage via Orbital Bombardment.

Secondly, unless your other healer is making up for your lesser healing capabilities, it's entirely possible that a DPS or tank could die when they otherwise wouldn't had you been in PvE gear and, as such, end up reducing raid wide DPS to such an extent that you hit said enrage timer.

While I might be willing to risk 1 highly skilled player in optimized PvP gear, I would be reluctant to do more than that. If we were planning on doing more than just the first 3 bosses (Kephess is a definite healer gear check considering all of the F/T damage), I would probably just outright say "no". Honestly, if it were a pug, I would probably say no for anything other than storymode for EC or TfB, especially if they don't know the content.

Completely true. TFB HM Dread Guards is definitely the biggest heal check. nonetheless even as a healer you'd be hard pressed by losing that much mainstat. In a raid with me, as a tank in full DG gear, it may not be an issue, but if you were to run a raid group with several ppl in pvp gear including tanks and heals you won't survive it in all likelihood. I recommend just doing some ec hm and getting campaign/bh stuff. if you're on jedi covenant I know my guild and a few others sell runs because we can 7 man it now, so that's a quick way to gear up

First off, any healer worth their salt is going to throw in at least 1-2 attacks when they've got nothing better to do so it's not like you should *only* be keeping people up. It behooves you to actually throw out the occasional attack, especially as an Operative where you get easy access to excellent damage via Orbital Bombardment.

Secondly, unless your other healer is making up for your lesser healing capabilities, it's entirely possible that a DPS or tank could die when they otherwise wouldn't had you been in PvE gear and, as such, end up reducing raid wide DPS to such an extent that you hit said enrage timer.

Ofcourse I throw in the occasional hit when everybody is topped up and when adds have to be killed, but this doesnt change the game really.

And ofcourse i know PVE geared players have more potential in stats, thats obvious. But I am very skilled in healing and did get through TFB HM dread guard.

I'm just looking to have a ground to work on when people doubt to take me on runs.

It is eminently doable to carry a single WH geared healer/dps through Asation HM. Just be clear that you are being carried.

Provided you have a good partner and are a good healer (as you say you are), Dread Guard is not a challenge to heal. One of the healers being undergeared is not a big issue, provided you both heal both tanks and don't try to divide the duties. Dread Guard only becomes a challenge when one of the healers is actually a terrible healer ;)

Operator IX has very low healing requirements for almost all of the fight, so that should be simple as well once you get the mechanics down.

Kephess and Terror will be more interesting. Kephess throws out a lot of damage, and it's easy for a little bit of carelessness to cause a lot of raid damage. On the first phase of Terror, you will be solely responsible for keeping up your side for parts of the first phase. You'll probably be relying on your tank at that point to make up the gear difference when you're too far away for crosshealing. Second phase will be quite hard (lots of damage) but you can make it through with a good partner.

It is eminently doable to carry a single WH geared healer/dps through Asation HM. Just be clear that you are being carried.

Provided you have a good partner and are a good healer (as you say you are), Dread Guard is not a challenge to heal. One of the healers being undergeared is not a big issue, provided you both heal both tanks and don't try to divide the duties. Dread Guard only becomes a challenge when one of the healers is actually a terrible healer ;)

Operator IX has very low healing requirements for almost all of the fight, so that should be simple as well once you get the mechanics down.

Kephess and Terror will be more interesting. Kephess throws out a lot of damage, and it's easy for a little bit of carelessness to cause a lot of raid damage. On the first phase of Terror, you will be solely responsible for keeping up your side for parts of the first phase. You'll probably be relying on your tank at that point to make up the gear difference when you're too far away for crosshealing. Second phase will be quite hard (lots of damage) but you can make it through with a good partner.

lovely how you keep saying carried and reliant on. and partner.

lol.

The stats arent THAT awful, its not that far behind from campaign really.

I still throw out crits of 7.4k when lucky

lol.

If that wasn't the case, it wouldn't be possible.

My post was all from personal experience healing Asation HM with an excellent WH geared scoundrel.

The entire point of this post was to bring attention to the fact that you were able to heal end-game content wearing pvp gear, with little experience in operations. Your reaction to suggestions that you were "carried" pretty much reveal your true motivations.

Congratulations. It is impressive.

I see the issue is the lack of HP, more than anything else. You want around 20k hp so you don't get one-shot by a Disinfect from Operator IX, or the slam from TFB at the tandrum phase.

As your raid group gains experience, they will take less damage. Basically you need about 1600 hps throughputt. You should be fine if your partner is a sorc, otherwise you may have issues when you need raid-wide healing. (e.g. after lightning storm in Dread Guard). It's still doable with 2 merc/operatives, however it is SO MUCH EASIER with at least one sorc.

lol.

You did ask for raiders opinions on the matter...

I'd have to agree though, the stats you lose on the armoring piece is a large amount (not to mention the endurance lost as well). That being said, I'm a strong believer of skill is more important than gear, but there has to be a line somewhere. As someone mentioned earlier, it would be possible to carry an optimized WH/EWH geared char through most of the content (assuming they aren't a tank).

I tanked TFB SM in full recruit gear...

Was it as easy as it should have been? No.

Would a pug group have taken me? No, it was my guild so I got a pass on my gear.

Would I do it again with that much of a gear discrepancy? Probably not, it was too stressful for a "just for fun" run.

Is it possible? Yes.

The point being that yes, you could do it in the gear you have assuming you're as good of a healer as you say you are. Odds are though pugs won't want you in PVP gear, you know, kind of like PVP players don't want PVE geared players in WZs.

Just my two cents.

Grats on the down.

In either of our raid groups, we have the tanks and healers for the most part take out the adds with the dps stuck in the middle. Don’t have to worry about enrage, but do have to worry about more adds if dps has to take time to clear the adds the healers and tanks should have killed. Also have to worry about the big guys interrupting the channel. So killing them as fast as possible is important there, so gear and dps is an important factor even for a healer at least the way our group does it.

I see the issue is the lack of HP, more than anything else. You want around 20k hp so you don't get one-shot by a Disinfect from Operator IX, or the slam from TFB at the tandrum phase.
Healer shouldn't have to worry about slam at all if positioned correctly. Edited by mikebevo

I fiddled around with some AMR profiles. Mind you, I didn't really take the time to properly min-max these. I just plopped the gear on, replaced any lettered mods and corrected a few egregious problems with stock gear. I'm sure someone could tweak these much better than I did.

That said, here's what I got:

Elite War Hero (with PvE stim)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/db5de7ab-54fc-42d3-9751-a8ef99c2790f

1901 cunning

673 bonus healing

35% crit

77% surge

19k hp

Full Campaign (stimmed)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/df3114ae-fdc6-4e51-bce9-62a61bf7421b

2308 Cunning

751 Bonus Healing

35% crit

78% surge

20k hp

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't go into HM TfB or NM EC with that gear, but honestly, look how much better the Campaign stuff is. Why not run HM EC and get some PvE gear first?

This is a gray area, meaning show some theorycrafting..

I will argue that a Elite War Hero equiped tank is easier to say nay to than a Elite War Hero DPS/Healer. The people who say they are being carried by the group- I beg to differ. Most tanks /DPS use some pvp gear in pve. As awesome as the Dread Guard Relics are I still use a Elite War Hero Relic and the Elite War Hero MH. Now I know that this thread wasn't about using PVP relics, but with out the OP linking their gear in a reply we don't know for certain their standing. I would have to see comparison parser numbers to reserve judgement. It is really easy to say nay with out looking at the numbers.

Healer shouldn't have to worry about slam at all if positioned correctly.

Slightly off topic : is there a way to avoid the tandrum hit? The two tanks are taunting when it's up, however we'll still get 1-2 hits on random players. Is there a spot to stand so the healer don't get slammed?

I have never been hit, but I stand about 90 degrees from the tank right behind mdps. I asked the other healer and it seems he has been hit a couple times. I usually get the left and I have noticed my group takes less damage, not sure why that is. However, I guess I was wrong you can be hit. I just have been lucky for once. Edited by mikebevo

It fully depends on the group. We often had WH healers heal for us, no problems at all unless they were paired with a weak healer. They can hold their own, but they couldn't carry somebody else. This was when TFB first came out, now it would be even easier. Just last week we took a fresh 50 mercenary alt in a mixture of recruit mk-2, Tionese, a 61 PvE barrel, and a WH off hand. He had about 16.5K hps. Didn't wipe once until Terror (would have had him too if the correct person battle res'd).

We have taken WH DPS through it, and the numbers they put out are more than good enough to beat enrage timers. Their DPS output was better than some of our weaker PvE players in better gear (albeit, it was a PT and Marauder in the WH).

Haven't tried a WH tank yet, don't think we had any before some of the PvP'ers left to form a dedicated guild.

NiEC, we refuse to take people who aren't in PvE gear.

Glad you're being honest.

1 point though.

Healer DPS is a factor in the strat my guild uses to clear EC NiM due to the enrage timers. I'm sure with more DG gear it will be less of a factor but not right now.

Given how relatively simple it is to get full campaign / black hole gear, I'd suggest you put in your 2 - 3 weeks and grind it out. I'm told you can RE war hero mods with a cybertech / artificer for stabilizers, so having them crafted might be a possibility as well.

OP, if you were a member of my guild, I would bring you in for Writhing Horror through Operator to get you some gear, and then I would sit you for the last two bosses until you had much better gear.

If you have a solid Op group, you can carry 1-2 people through the first three bosses on 8man, and 2-4 people on 16man.

How annoyed would you be if in a Warzone you saw someone in full PVE gear, for me it's the same in Operations, PVP gear belongs in PVP and PVE gear belongs in PVE. Do some work and get some pve gear (doesn't take long to get bh comms) before you do one of the hardest ops in the game, you'll just be a liability to the group otherwise.

Now my question is. Do you experienced raiders find Min maxed combo of WH and EWH gear to be enough for TFB HM? As a single player or a whole team. I didn't do the other bosses cuz we decided to stop where we were. People had to go.

I'd rather carry someone in lower PvE gear, than someone in maxed PvP gear.

Edited by slafko