Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Now I'm curious...do you actually go off to a spot, stand/sit there with your companion hovering over you, so RP these dates? Or all just in your imagination? Because the latter can still be done! :)

Or does date equal "lets kill things together"?

Makeb made me realize even more how little the relationships are. Seriously. Andronikus doesn't acknowledge my Inquisitor and Lemda (Makeb) and my Smuggler have no real way to contact each other! :(

I like the suggestion made in another thread, to have them have new lines when you're characters get to dating/marriage part.

Not holding out any hope for the first SGR story flirts to actually become companions tho. Not after one of them can be killed.

I'd probably RP with Nadia as my romantic interest if it felt more justified via in-game dialogue. Kinda feels forced at the moment. And it would be nice to have a "move here" function for companions like other games do, to keep them off of bar counter-tops and other players. For that matter, they ought to sit down when the player does as well.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We meet a woman who claims to be Kaliyo's ex-girlfriend and Kaliyo doesn't deny it, which does easily lead to the assumption that she is more or less bisexual. BUT, since that 1 ex-girlfriend is the only thing leading to this assumption, it might be possible that Kaliyo is in some way bisexual, but prefers men and only takes women in special cases - i.e. this girl was rich and it seemed that Kaliyo anyway wanted her money more than her. Until this is confirmed, I will keep my assumption that Kaliyo is bi and likes both genders. Even if that is confirmed, I think it would make more sense if a female player could flirt with Kaliyo (especially after finding out about her ex) and then get turned down.

(Emphasis mine.)

That's pretty much Kaliyo all over, from what I've seen: money and excitement. Money and excitement isn't only limited to men and, the main point that people bring up, is that she specifies "people" in the pre-nup agreement, not "men".

On a more personal note, I don't personally like the idea of Kaliyo being the only option for female Agents for a f/f relationship - this is because my main character is a female light side Agent, and doesn't find the idea of Kaliyo romantically appealing. She'd rather romance Rania Temple.

The problem with that statement is most PCs are limited in this regard.

My Smuggler is limited to Corso. :/ Not that Bowdaar or Gus would be any better if they opened up all companions to even just OGR.

My Trooper is limited to Aric. While only level 17, I haven't seen a reason to like him yet. :( Unlike my Knight, were I out of all the companions, I'm still thinking "Doc or Kira?!" but limited to Doc of course.

The lack of options makes the idea of herosexual appealing, even if I don't care for that idea much.

I don't think the low number of same-sex romance options is a problem, nor is the unequal distribution faction-wise. Here's why...

Going from 1-50, some player characters only get one romance option with a companion, and one with someone outside the team. The male Trooper comes to mind.

The fact is, an overwhelming majority of people are heterosexual. I really don't think my male Trooper should have more same-sex opportunities than opposite-sex ones. It'd really stretch the credibility of the story. There should be more women than men interested in dating him.

The same goes for pretty much any female player character who's not a Smuggler or Agent. Why, in the grand scheme of things, would more women than men be attracted to her? It just wouldn't make sense.

Edited by nateslice

I don't think the low number of same-sex romance options is a problem, nor is the unequal distribution faction-wise. Here's why...

Going from 1-50, some player characters only get one romance option with a companion, and one with someone outside the team. The male Trooper comes to mind.

The fact is, an overwhelming majority of people are heterosexual. I really don't think my male Trooper should have more same-sex opportunities than opposite-sex ones. It'd really stretch the credibility of the story. There should be more women than men interested in dating him.

The same goes for pretty much any female player character who's not a Smuggler or Agent. Why, in the grand scheme of things, would more women than men be attracted to her? It just wouldn't make sense.

+1, this is a good point.

Equal means equal.

You get Sergeant Jaxo in 1-50? 55+ you can... I dunno Major Barry. That's equal on "options for male characters".

It works out like this: five options for straight men, five options for gay men, five options for straight women, five options for lesbians.

Honestly? The "romance" is a joke, which is the reason I do not care for it, or see it as more than what they are.

You think the romances are a joke? That's fine. I can understand that. Not everyone cares for the same things.

As for myself, I'm a sucker for characterization, so I enjoyed the Cytharat side-story. I thought it was well done. I don't care that it was mostly just a few subtle [Flirt]s. To me, it added another level of emotional investment in the game. It made me feel like the characters are a little more alive. The romances aren't a major part of the story, but they can certainly give it a bit more flavor (and spice).

If you don't like the romances, you don't have to choose [Flirt]s. I don't see why it's a big deal.

I don't like PvP or Ops that much, but I don't go around arguing against their inclusion.

I don't object to the inclusion of same-sex material; it doesn't interest me, but I know it makes other people happy, and that's fine. But it does need to be kept within the bounds of realism. And far more people are straight than gay in real life.

And then there's the matter of success rate. My Trooper hit on at least a couple of women before meeting Jaxo. I remember one who shot him down cold, and another who played him for a chump. That's not unrealistic; not every woman should be interested in dating him. So, maybe if a couple of same-sex flirt options were added that similarly resulted in, "What? Ewww, no!", that would be cool.

Equal means equal.

You get Sergeant Jaxo in 1-50? 55+ you can... I dunno Major Barry. That's equal on "options for male characters".

It works out like this: five options for straight men, five options for gay men, five options for straight women, five options for lesbians.

Equal in MMOs is never going to happen. Or else some of characters are going to need buffed and/or nerfed, and I'm willing to to put in some leeway/margin of error.

I don't object to the inclusion of same-sex material; it doesn't interest me, but I know it makes other people happy, and that's fine. But it does need to be kept within the bounds of realism. And far more people are straight than gay in real life.

And then there's the matter of success rate. My Trooper hit on at least a couple of women before meeting Jaxo. I remember one who shot him down cold, and another who played him for a chump. That's not unrealistic; not every woman should be interested in dating him. So, maybe if a couple of same-sex flirt options were added that similarly resulted in, "What? Ewww, no!", that would be cool.

(emphasis mine)

We will disagree on this point, but only because I believe that, as a game and a fictional universe, Bioware can get away with making the distribution and representation equal for all three sexualities in question (in NPC options, allowing your character to be straight, gay or bi.) You think it should limited by whatever recent data has been produced.

Also, yes the "success rate" should be reasonable, but I would also argue that Bioware only approach that idea when they actively start to make the availability equal. It shouldn't be that you get three SGR [Flirt]s across twenty levels and two of them are when you're out-and-out rejected, where OGR [Flirt]s number closer ten and have only one rejection.

Keep in mind, too, that some classes just get more action than others. And if you use the ones who get more action as the baseline for equality, you're going to have some classes that get far more same-sex options than opposite-sex ones. And I'm sorry, but that would be dumb.

If equality is really what you're after, you need to use the classes who get the least opposite-sex action as the baseline.

If equality is really what you're after, you need to use the classes who get the least opposite-sex action as the baseline.

I'm referring to, by and large, world-NPC [Flirt]s/romances and companion romances. In class stories, it should be based by class - Sith Inquisitor doesn't get as many [Flirt]s as Agent, but the options in storylines should be equal within them. Make sense?

I'm referring to, by and large, world-NPC [Flirt]s/romances and companion romances. In class stories, it should be based by class - Sith Inquisitor doesn't get as many [Flirt]s as Agent, but the options in storylines should be equal within them. Make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense. But if BioWare is indeed dropping the idea of individual class stories going forward, then what?

Edited by nateslice

Yeah, that makes sense. But if BioWare is indeed dropping the idea of individual class stories going forward, then what?

Then [Flirt]s within class stories are no longer a point of reference. Of course, that (to me) still allows for the retroactive application of companion SGRA's (and I have already define how I believe this should implemented, several times.) It would be unfortunate for many reasons, especially since they aren't going to re-address class stories 1-50 in any manner.

And I really hope Bioware isn't dropping class stories (Cipher Nine, no! D: ), but I must say it doesn't look good.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if gay companions were added who didn't require romancing to recruit, but replaced a pre-existing companion. My female Bounty Hunter would much rather fend off advances from an amorous lesbian than keep Skadge around.

They could have the same role, likes and dislikes as the replaced companion, but just a different name, model, and voice. I'd be pretty happy with that.

Never said you had to romance your companions.

I want Lord Cytharat because I think he's a great example of a more tolerant element of the Sith Empire, good for my Light-leaning Darth Imperius (he'd make a better apprentice than Xalek), and his tactical knowledge would be a valuable addition to my Agent's team, replacing Kaliyo.

My Sith Sorcerer is unable to romance Lord Cytharat for obvious reasons, but my Agent could continue his romance with Cytharat.

Romance, again, would be an option for those who want it.

(emphasis mine)

We will disagree on this point, but only because I believe that, as a game and a fictional universe, Bioware can get away with making the distribution and representation equal for all three sexualities in question (in NPC options, allowing your character to be straight, gay or bi.) You think it should limited by whatever recent data has been produced.

Also, yes the "success rate" should be reasonable, but I would also argue that Bioware only approach that idea when they actively start to make the availability equal. It shouldn't be that you get three SGR [Flirt]s across twenty levels and two of them are when you're out-and-out rejected, where OGR [Flirt]s number closer ten and have only one rejection.

The one problem with this line of thinking continues to be the reasoning for adding it.

No SGR makes it unrealistic! But make it even between OGR and SGR to be fair, even if it's not unrealistic.

And the arguement that it's BWs game they get to dictate what goes in it and how, failed when people would get upset and cry and whine about discrimination if they said, "It's our game, sorry no SGR option" Let's remember the "there's no gay in star wars" line, and the reaction that got and it was taken out of context.

No one really cares about realism, they don't care about what BW decides to put into the game. They want what they want, and they want it in or out as it pleases them.

Saying "realism" is just a word thrown around as it pleases the poster for MOST of the posters. Want realism? Realism = unfair.

Realism is important, too. A story doesn't work without suspension of disbelief. There should be more opposite-sex options than same-sex ones for that reason. I don't mind them adding same-sex options for gay players, "lesbians trapped in a man's body" and fujoshi, but just don't throw in too many or the story suffers in the credibility department.

The occasional rejection, like the ones straight player characters get from time to time, would help, too.

You know who I really wanted to flirt with on my Trooper? Spirakris Zarem. No option, though. It made me sad. Even if she'd rejected him, it would've been cool to have the option to try. I took some comfort in the fact that Jaxo sort of looks like her.

Edited by nateslice

Why?

Does every aspect of the game (including opposite-sex romance) have to be kept in the same bounds? The problem is...there's plenty that's 'unrealistic' in the way opposite-sex romance is handled.

Realism is important, too. A story doesn't work without suspension of disbelief. There should be more opposite-sex options than same-sex ones for that reason. I don't mind them adding same-sex options for gay players, "lesbians trapped in a man's body" and fujoshi, but just don't throw in too many or the story suffers in the credibility department.

I don't believe it will - it's not as if everyone we'll [Flirt] with will automagically reciprocate (excepting the scenario I've already described), but rather this is a demonstration of the character's sexuality.

Frankly, too many OGR options damage the stories' credibility as well, it detracts from the matter at hand to pander to the "I see a hawt girl, hurr" (straight male characters get more romance and [Flirt] options, might I remind you) quarter, but you aren't arguing to restrict current or future OGR options.

I'm not even going to bother with the realism point, I've already said my piece on that.

Well, maybe it is a little silly of me to want a certain level realism in a game with laser swords and all sorts of aliens and The Force. But the birthrate in Star Wars was already downright anemic long before any gay person existed in the canon. Where did all these trillions of people come from if nobody ever produces more than two kids?

I don't believe it will - it's not as if everyone we'll [Flirt] with will automagically reciprocate (excepting the scenario I've already described), but rather this is a demonstration of the character's sexuality.

Frankly, too many OGR options damage the stories' credibility as well, it detracts from the matter at hand to pander to the "I see a hawt girl, hurr" (straight male characters get more romance and [Flirt] options, might I remind you) quarter, but you aren't arguing to restrict current or future OGR options.

I'm not even going to bother with the realism point, I've already said my piece on that.

A tale of basically space age swashbucklers, and the idea of them having the option to flirt, you think detracts? When tales of swashbuckling heroes is just as much about flirting?