strange question

yiggdrasill

i arrived on balmorra today in bug town the republic outpost, ok thats all fine but... i was in bug town earlyer with a sith and saw no republic base, i think its even the same place as the imp one

how does this work? i figier they have done somthing to stop lvl 33 repub players pvping the lvl 20 imps but an explenation on how two areas can exist on exactly the same spot would be nice

Each planet/storyline for the different classes takes place at different times.

What he said.

Otherwise known as...

The weirdest design decision in the history of MMO's... to make the player the center of the universe in a universe with thousands of players.

What he said.

Otherwise known as...

The weirdest design decision in the history of MMO's... to make the player the center of the universe in a universe with thousands of players.

Or...

Interesting twist that actually gives some illusion of a story that happens over time and allows your character to have an effect on the universe (as far as is possible in an MMO). Its certainly better than the timeless "now" of levelling in many MMOs.

As an addendum, Balmorra and Taris are the only planets where you'll experience this division in time between factions. The rest are either completely faction-locked (starter worlds & capitals), completely separated but contemporary (Nar Shaddaa, except the neutral and safe Promenade and the Bonus Series-level areas), or shared and potentially dangerous (pretty much everything else.) Edited by Jenovan

thanks for the answers it was just a bit weird was all im used to having a world split between the factions and the closer you go to their territory the more dangerous it is

Many of the worlds in the game work that way, where the Republic and the Imperials overlap (Tattooine, Alderaan, Corellia, certain parts of Nar Shaddaa (bonus series primarily, plus the promenade area), Hoth).

Others, like Voss and the main quests on Nar Shadda, mostly (exceptions are the area around Voss-Ka and the promenade on Nar Shadda) consist of separate areas where speeders deliver players from the opposing factions so there is no real interaction.

Then you have Balmorra and Taris. As you know, those planets are actually flip-flopped between the two factions in terms of when in the game you play on those planets. So if you are an imperial you might be on Balmorra at level 15 but Taris on level 35. For pubs it is the reverse. Because of that, the entire planets are really separate instances. It simply wouldn't work any other way. Forget thinking about it from a PvP perspective. Think about it from a PvE perspective. It wouldn't work to be a level 15 imperial and arrive on Balmorra to find the level 35 mobs. So they are really completely separate areas (in fact Taris is nighttime on imps and daytime on pubs). I find this to be tremendously cool. Others find it less so. Your mileage may vary :)

Edited by Fubarq