Policy for Non English Speakers

Sentanta

Just want to ask because I cant see anything in the T & C's about this - what is policy on languages used on servers?

There is only English - German and French servers - but there is many other languages and nationalities that play - I have just responded to a fellow national in our native language and I got a whisper from some player saying that if I don't use English I will be reported because it is an English server!

Can someone tell me what the official policy is please?

You can speak in whatever language you feel comfortable with, but usually on servers with designated languages such as English, german, etc. Its polite to take in English.

Most players have bad memories in which they get dropped of an server thats obviously said to be english because other players from a region have decided to move and play there for better ping.

No its not reportable, but it can be a hassle when talk in general using your native tongue.

Oddly enough, this was the topic of some friction on TOFN last night, on Balmorra. I wonder if it was the OP being harassed in general.

Someone took it upon themselves to voice their dislike of other languages being spoken openly on an English server. (S)he did in fact say it was against ToS. The reasoning, "it promotes fear." I would like to take this opportunity to say how disgusting that person was.

Here are a couple of "reasons" the person gave as to why everybody should speak English on an English server:

English is the worldwide accepted language: No, it really isn't. nor is it the most popular language spoken. If I was to go to, say, France, do you know what language everybody there would be speaking? That's right, French! Of course, you could argue that most of Europe speaks English. It doesn't, in Europe, there are pockets of people who speak English, and they are being damned courteous to do so for nothing more than English speaking peoples benefit. In short, Europe spoils English speakers.

In Asia, English does not get you nearly as far as it would in Europe, despite what evidence of Asians living in an English speaking country you may try to think of.

They can speak to each other in any language they fancy in private, not in General: I beg your pardon! You are actually demonstrating your desire to disallow the rights of communication within the gaming platform you use on a daily basis. You have no say about what goes on in General chat. That statement alone shows you as a bully and bigoted little thug, I doubt it would sit well with you if the shoe was on the other foot.

They are filling the chat with their language: Aren't we all? After all, isn't that what its there for. If you object to it as much as you are voicing, you are welcome to use the ignore button. However, you do not have the right to harass someone openly about their home tongue, that is against ToS. If you do not agree to that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

There's nothing stopping them from learning English: Well no, there is not. However, there is nothing stopping you from learning Gaelic (in the OP case.) There is also nothing stopping them from free speaking in their own language. They have the right to do so, and the only thing stopping you enjoying peace of mind about the matter is yourself.

This is an English server: Yes it is, and it appears you have no problem pointing that out at every possible opportunity. However, there is no part of the ToS that states people must speak the language the server denotes. Not every language is represented by servers, please point out where someone could find an Italian server for example, or a Spanish server. As you have guessed, there are no such servers. The servers are segregated not just for recommended language, but global positioning for maximum performance. If that were not true, we wouldn't have USA servers and English servers separately, would we. Like you, everybody has the freedom and the right to choose to play on any server they wish. Someday you may wish to play on a different regional server. Why not, you have every right to do so without fear of harassment or petty bullying. It is the Internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be.

BW/EA should make a Russian/Spanish/Italian/Klingon server: Yes, that is certainly an option. However, the simplest solution is for you to get off your horse and both respect and understand that many people lead vastly different lives from your own. The only negativity in this situation is whatever negativity you bring, none other.

In short, it's not the person speaking (in the OP case) Gaelic that's the issue, nor is it an issue stemming from BW/EA. The problem lies with the person objecting to others enjoying the same game they are playing.

As for the person on TOFN, I suspect they were reported. ;) (and rightly so!)

x

I agree with what was said above, I think people needs to stop with the racism and the xenophobic behavior.

I have absolutely no problem with people using other languages as people have stated they are European servers not UK.

But whoever was using one of the Gaelic languages was being incredibly pretentious and really should have just used English anyone who can understand it will be fluent in English as well.

meh it doesn't bother me one way or the other... but after reading this thread it's funny how many people misuse the word racist... the word has almost no meaning anymore

as far as those claiming they have the "right" you don't (you have no rights here) and as far as the TOS goes... this is an English forum the same as we have English servers... make a thread in another language and watch what happens to it... just saying

Not that you don't have the right to do whatever you want in game as long as you abide by the TOS and EULA. I have to ask though, why would you even ignore them? I ask in all earnest of the sense because I don't see a reason to. First off they may be a great player that can speak English but has a friend on that speaks little to no English. So you possibly ignored a player just because they typed another language that maybe you could learn from or even have a friendship with. I understand if they were just spouting out nonsense or cursing all over the place but to ignore them because of a language seems petty to me.

Because they obviously do not want to communicate with people who do not speak their language so I do not wish to see their gibberish in the chat box. That's what a language you don't understand is, gibberish, a random string of letters. It's not intended as a mean sentiment.

And to make it clear, I did not flame them for speaking in another language or anything of the sort. Simply /ignore and kept on playing.

And for those saying "OMG you should try to learn another language!" I already know 3 fluently yet have never spoken anything besides English in any MMO I've played. Not in general chats.

Edited by Jandi

But whoever was using one of the Gaelic languages was being incredibly pretentious and really should have just used English anyone who can understand it will be fluent in English as well.

I actually quite often use " Madainn mhath" When I show up in the morning, or other exclamations. here or there. I grew up in Portree and used Gàidhlig almost exclusively growing up/ majority of my 30 some years and still " think in it" so it's hard not to drop a word or phrase here or there

though I do cuss up a storm in Huttesse XD

Edited by MatronAdena

meh it doesn't bother me one way or the other... but after reading this thread it's funny how many people misuse the word racist... the word has almost no meaning anymore

No sooner was this posted...

To be honest anyone who reports you, should get a infraction for a basic form of rascim as far as i am concerned.

Irony.

Anyways, I don't respond in English. I ain't no Brit. I respond in 'Merikan.

(Sorry, sorry, too hard to pass up.)

Language is part of your ethnicity now?

Linguistics has always been a part of the definition of ethnicity (well, of ethnic of which ethnicity refers to). Ethnicity is being of a certain ethnic affiliation. Ethnic is categorizing large groups of people based on common characteristics such as linguistics, tribe, nation, religion, culture, etc.

Either way, if the comments from those complaining about language are more than just something like 'i wish people would use english' or 'why don't you use english?', then they probably fall into the policy below. The ones I mentioned that I reported were flat out racist comments and that's why I reported them.

To keep the Service a compliant, fun, fair and safe gaming environment for everyone, you may not engage in any of the following behavior:

Harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything to another player that is unwanted. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated. (See also “Harassment Policy” below.)

Behavior that is always considered harassment includes derogatory and/or hateful comments that are sexual, racist, religious, or related to gender or creed.

It's a courtesy to use the main language of the server you are on but it is not required. Harassing someone for using another language is against the policy of the game/forums and should not be tolerated. Personally, I've found that most players will only post in another language in public chat as a way to quickly find other players who speak that language and then they take it to private chat, they don't carry out conversations in public chat. Seriously, it's no different than someone asking in general if there are any players from Texas or if there are any guilds for 'older gamers', etc. it just happens to not be in english (or 'text speak', which is more prevalent than anything these days).

Japanese-American brown guy here, who speaks both languages.

As anyone who speaks more than one language knows, if you're in a group, it's rude to speak in a language only a few that are present can understand. It's just proper etiquette, whether it's Gaelic, Cantonese, English, so on and so on. Whether you like it or not, general chat and any other default chat channel is a public forum. Same etiquette is expected there.

Granted, the incident that happened to OP is unreasonable, as it wasn't an entire conversation. But I'm talking about the forest, not the tree.

Call me crazy, but I've never played a French MMORPG/server and demanded equality. Or an actual Korean MMORPG and call everyone who doesn't accept my culture and language a bigoted fool.

Why are Americans allowed to be bullied and harrassed for wanting to be in an English environment? "In Rome, do as the Romans." - except when you're in the US. In the US, just demand respect and tolerance, and call everyone a bigot.

Too many Americans are shamed of who they are, where they come from, and are drop-of-a-hat apologists. Just stop.

And for people who either don't speak two or more languages, or don't know what it's like to live, breathe, and eat around people who speak another language than you.......stop posting in these threads. You have no first-hand experience. Your opinions are not qualified; at best, they are only vague assumptions. You are irrelevant to this particular conversation.

Oddly enough, this was the topic of some friction on TOFN last night, on Balmorra. I wonder if it was the OP being harassed in general.

Someone took it upon themselves to voice their dislike of other languages being spoken openly on an English server. (S)he did in fact say it was against ToS. The reasoning, "it promotes fear." I would like to take this opportunity to say how disgusting that person was.

Here are a couple of "reasons" the person gave as to why everybody should speak English on an English server:

English is the worldwide accepted language: No, it really isn't. nor is it the most popular language spoken. If I was to go to, say, France, do you know what language everybody there would be speaking? That's right, French! Of course, you could argue that most of Europe speaks English. It doesn't, in Europe, there are pockets of people who speak English, and they are being damned courteous to do so for nothing more than English speaking peoples benefit. In short, Europe spoils English speakers.

In Asia, English does not get you nearly as far as it would in Europe, despite what evidence of Asians living in an English speaking country you may try to think of.

They can speak to each other in any language they fancy in private, not in General: I beg your pardon! You are actually demonstrating your desire to disallow the rights of communication within the gaming platform you use on a daily basis. You have no say about what goes on in General chat. That statement alone shows you as a bully and bigoted little thug, I doubt it would sit well with you if the shoe was on the other foot.

They are filling the chat with their language: Aren't we all? After all, isn't that what its there for. If you object to it as much as you are voicing, you are welcome to use the ignore button. However, you do not have the right to harass someone openly about their home tongue, that is against ToS. If you do not agree to that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

There's nothing stopping them from learning English: Well no, there is not. However, there is nothing stopping you from learning Gaelic (in the OP case.) There is also nothing stopping them from free speaking in their own language. They have the right to do so, and the only thing stopping you enjoying peace of mind about the matter is yourself.

This is an English server: Yes it is, and it appears you have no problem pointing that out at every possible opportunity. However, there is no part of the ToS that states people must speak the language the server denotes. Not every language is represented by servers, please point out where someone could find an Italian server for example, or a Spanish server. As you have guessed, there are no such servers. The servers are segregated not just for recommended language, but global positioning for maximum performance. If that were not true, we wouldn't have USA servers and English servers separately, would we. Like you, everybody has the freedom and the right to choose to play on any server they wish. Someday you may wish to play on a different regional server. Why not, you have every right to do so without fear of harassment or petty bullying. It is the Internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be.

BW/EA should make a Russian/Spanish/Italian/Klingon server: Yes, that is certainly an option. However, the simplest solution is for you to get off your horse and both respect and understand that many people lead vastly different lives from your own. The only negativity in this situation is whatever negativity you bring, none other.

In short, it's not the person speaking (in the OP case) Gaelic that's the issue, nor is it an issue stemming from BW/EA. The problem lies with the person objecting to others enjoying the same game they are playing.

As for the person on TOFN, I suspect they were reported. ;) (and rightly so!)

x

+1 That's it :)