smuggler story is bad

simplius

seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief

For starters, let's address your seeming inability to count to 2.

You start on the "newbie" planet of Ord Mantell. ------ 1

Next, you travel to Coruscant and at the end of your class story on this planet you acquire your ship. ------ 2

There is no third planet in this equation. Surely you aren't counting the 10 minutes it takes to pick your advanced class on the fleet as a "planet" that you have to quest through? If not, then please enlighten us as to what the heck you are talking about.

Secondly, your central idea that it would have been better to go out and get a ship instead of tracking your old ship down makes absolutely no sense to me.

Let me put myself in Han Solo's shoes. Someone steals the Millennium Falcon (my pride and joy) and instead of tracking them down and getting my ship back you expect me to....go ship shopping? Kill some innocent Captain and steal their ship (which will never equal the one stolen from me anyway)? I don't understand. This makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm really glad the writers of this game aren't taking advice from you. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously?? have u ever SEEN a star wars movie?

no i didnt get far,,and u seem to forget the newbie planet

i know we get ships a t lvl 17, but it would have been FAR better, to simply not HAVE a ship from start

jedis dont start with a lightsaber either, it would have made SO much more sense,,both storywise

and in gameplay,,to go out and GET a ship , rather than getting a stolen ship back,,and no, han solo

would NOT have done it this way,,look at the remastered edition of ANH,,han actually provokes

jabba before takeoff,,,but here im supposed to just get on his trail and grind missions to get it back?

how many stolen cars disappear on earth,,and now imsupposed to find a single ship in the galaxy?

good luck with that,,no han would have :

gotten money for a bountyhunter

or a new ship, and try to chase the thief

One Comment if someone had stolen Han's ship, the Falcon, he would have torn the galaxy apart to get it back. There would have been no way he would have not searched for it. He would have searched for information to the person who took it and did everything he could have to figure out where that person had taken his ship and then went to the location where the thief was and searched for thief and got his ship back.

If Han didn't care about the Falcon, he would have let Jabba have it instead of having the bounty on his head. But he loved his ship.

(and yes I have seen all the movies and read most of the books)

Edited by ScarletBlaze

• 2 weeks later...
Fixed for you. I found this story to be far worse..

I wonder if they gave the SI and JC stories to the same writer or if the writers sat next to each other. The stories do seem a bit similar in terms of the rather uninspiring nature.

The "Force Mystic" stories, overall, seem to be the weakest in the game. They're probably some of the more challenging stories to write, and those stories were (inexplicably) given to inexperienced, or at least largely unpublished, writers instead of to the big name writers with serious credibility/ability.

My biggest gripe with the Inquisitor perhaps comes from my own ideas of what Palpatine's training would have been like to create the character we see in the prequels and later in the OT. I don't get that feel at all from the SI's story. The SI is the underdog/dumb kid who. despite not knowing his arse from a hole in the ground, is thrust into power with Zash behind him as a puppeteer of sorts. I loved the class mechanics, but I just couldn't deal with the story by the time I got to Voss.

Now that I've read Luceno's treatment of Darth Plageius I like Bioware's take on "the Palpatine story" even less.

Edited by Heimskringla

im a HUGE han solo fan so please be patient

a ground rule in games : NEVER give something to a player, and take it away again,

without them being able to do ANYTHING

here its "im a noob smuggler , so i FORGOT to secure my ship,,,bye bye ship"

and so i spend the next 3 planets , chasing "my" ship,,that i only saw a cutscene of

and that makes the EPIC moment , when i DO get it back feeling awkward too

going on board for the first time,,,on "my" old ship

and the story was right in front of them( no , not a sabacc game)

but a storyline , that actually involved GETTING A SHIP

getting some money for informations

using those informations to hack maintenance droids/whatever

and setting up an ambush to to get rid of the previous owner

but here , han just sighs, and says "too bad,,i guess, ill just grind missions , until i find one

involving my ship"

As a Han Solo fan I hereby revoke your right to call yourself a Han Solo fan. Han Solo would (and has) put his life on the line to keep his ship. Your disregard for your ship proves you are unfit to be a captain and will no longer be addressed as such.:hope_08:

P.S: 2 Planets to get your ship back, not 3.

i dont count the fleet on its own, but add esseles,,and u spend 1 or 2 hours there,,thats a small "planet"

and in this game han DOES lose his ship,,without being able to do ANYTHING, thats the first mistake

secondly,,an important part of the jedi story is to get their first lightsaber,,this would have been so much

more natural here

third when i finally do get my ship back, it just feels weird , when i go on board again,,for the first time

i mean the introductary tour on "my old , trusted ship",,really?

playing a version , of how han got his first ship would have been better

or a version of one of the missions , where u hacked maintenance droids

PS! and if someone steals ur car,,painting the neighbours fence prolly wont get it back

getting a faster car and and driving around might be a better idea,,since u cant just call the cops

Edited by simplius

As a Han Solo fan I hereby revoke your right to call yourself a Han Solo fan. Han Solo would (and has) put his life on the line to keep his ship. Your disregard for your ship proves you are unfit to be a captain and will no longer be addressed as such.:hope_08:

actually he does abandon it for a while on dathomir,,and no han is NOT a hero,,

in ANH he is a DRUG SMUGGLER,,,and he is working for jabba,,does that sound heroic to u?

yes he loves the falcon,,and still he puts it on the line in RoTJ

i dont count the fleet on its own, but add esseles,,and u spend 1 or 2 hours there,,thats a small "planet"

and in this game han DOES lose his ship,,without being able to do ANYTHING, thats the first mistake

secondly,,an important part of the jedi story is to get their first lightsaber,,this would have been so much

more natural here

third when i finally do get my ship back, it just feels weird , when i go on board again,,for the first time

PS! and if someone steals ur car,,painting the neighbours fence prolly wont get it back

getting a faster car and and driving around might be a better idea,,since u cant just call the cops

Except Esseles is an option flashpoint that has NOTHING to do with getting your ship back. So it was your decision to do that, you can't complain that Essesles took too long since you didn't have to do it anyway.

Logic for the win:D

more natural here

1. A flashpoint and the fleet =/= a planet.

2. You absolutely can do something about losing your ship. You chase the jerk down and reclaim it. I'm not sure what else you expect to do about it.

3. Your story ideas are terrible.

4. The writers of this game did an exponentially better job coming up with ideas for the smuggler than you.

5. No one in this thread agrees with pretty much anything you've said.

6. The fact that #5 is true ought to tell you something.

Edited by RDeanOU

The ship theft is what makes me hate Skavak so much, making him a good 'nemesis'. I think that part of the story is good, even though I have had trouble getting excited about the smuggler story as a whole.

Basically this. The moment that SoB took off with my ship I wanted to hunt that ***** down and help him take a long, relaxing walk off the side of a cliff. And then shoot him a couple of times; JUST to make sure. I haven't finished the Smuggler story yet, but that definitely got me into it. I had a bit of a hard time getting too involved in the story AFTER getting my ship back (it drops off into a bit of a lull around Taris IMO). I didn't feel weird getting back onto my 'old' ship; I felt accomplished. It's all a matter of perspective really, but if you were expecting to be EXACTLY like Han Solo you were expecting the wrong thing.

I can see the possibility of being a smuggler trying to get your first ship. Starting out as doing planet-side cross-customs smuggling on the planet then moving on and getting your own ship, etc. That could have worked maybe, but with the way the game is set-up it just seems to flow better this way. It just fits.

Yes, let's have an argument about who has the "right" to call him/herself a fan. That won't make us look too pathetic.

To address the issue of the thread; the smuggler story is weak, because of weak plots. End of story. The prologue is the strongest of all the chapters. So if you find that chapter boring, you'll probably fall asleep doing the rest. The rest of the chapters have no momentum, no stakes, no surprises. They are just plain boring.

The smuggler was the first class I really played and the first class to reach lvl 50 with. After that, I stopped subscriping because I was so disappointed in the game, because I had the impression that the other class stories weren't any better than the smuggler's, because a few people told me they thought the smuggler's story was one of the best in their opinion.

A friend persuaded my to try out another class and finish its story. I resubed, and recently finished the SW story, and must say that my opinion of the game has greatly improved following that.

The smuggler story is just plain poor.

My advice is to try and finish another class.

Edited by Andge

Except Esseles is an option flashpoint that has NOTHING to do with getting your ship back. So it was your decision to do that, you can't complain that Essesles took too long since you didn't have to do it anyway.

Logic for the win:D

almost NONE of the mssions are about the ship,,should i just grind mobs until i reach lvl 16?

can i go to coruscant, and get my ship, as lvl 10?,,thats, what i should do, according to ur "logic"

1. A flashpoint and the fleet =/= a planet.

2. You absolutely can do something about losing your ship. You chase the jerk down and reclaim it. I'm not sure what else you expect to do about it.

3. Your story ideas are terrible.

4. The writers of this game did an exponentially better job coming up with ideas for the smuggler than you.

5. No one in this thread agrees with pretty much anything you've said.

6. The fact that #5 is true ought to tell you something.

this thread is mostly occupied by fanbois,,about 10% of playerbase,,some of them even believe this

game is still doing fine,,,and if the smuggler story is so great, WHY ARE SO FEW PEOPLE PLAYING IT?

my ideas may not be great,,im not a writer,,but the story isnt either,and i have the numbers to prove that:

its called DROPPING SUB NUMBERS

This is a stupid complaint.

Having your ship stolen and getting it back was the perfect way to do it.

it it was the perfect way,,why dont hey use it more often then?

no, this kind of mission is very rare,,specially at the start of a game

and the reasons for this, is pretty clear to those , who know something about games

Edited by simplius

this thread is mostly occupied by fanbois,,about 10% of playerbase,,some of them even believe this

game is still doing fine,,,and if the smuggler story is so great, WHY ARE SO FEW PEOPLE PLAYING IT?

my ideas may not be great,,im not a writer,,but the story isnt either,and i have the numbers to prove that:

71% of all statistics are made up on the spot

You have numbers to show us the smuggler is the least played class? And a poll that shows us that the majority of players are not playing the smuggler because they don't enjoy the class story? No? Then S T F U

The number of pirates in the world has been in decline while global temperatures are on the increase. You are confusing cause and effect relationships. Show me the numbers that prove the poor (in your opinion) smuggler storyline is causing a significant number of players to cancel their subscriptions.

My troll-o-meter is reading "Danger!" with this one.

Edited by Malkosis

Following that logic, LoL must have the greatest story ever written.

You have numbers to show us the smuggler is the least played class? And a poll that shows us that the majority of players are not playing the smuggler because they don't enjoy the class story? No? Then S T F U

To be fair, back at the Guild Summit they did reveal class breakdowns, and Smuggler was at the bottom of the pile. Though I chalk the OP getting that right more to coincidence than actual research.

To be fair, back at the Guild Summit they did reveal class breakdowns, and Smuggler was at the bottom of the pile. Though I chalk the OP getting that right more to coincidence than actual research.

IIRC, Scoundrel/Operative DPS builds were the first AC to get repeatedly pummeled by the nerfbat out of the gate. Add the perceived complexity of the cover system, and heavy demographic lean toward Imperials game-wide and it's not exactly surprising that Smugglers fell to the bottom of the population graph.

I also note that the Agent was the least-played on the Imperial side despite it being widely regarded as having the best story of all 8 classes.

And the most popular at the time? Sith Sorceror, despite several threads putting the Inquisitor story near the bottom of the list.

Edited by GymQuirk

Correlation =/= causation. 95 % of all deathrow inmates have eaten pickles so pickles must cause murderous behavior, right?

There is absolutely no evidence that declining sub numbers have anything whatsoever to do with the playerbase being dissatisfied with the Smuggler storyline. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say that is the most absurd and completely foolish theory I have ever heard for why sub numbers are declining. You are suggesting that all of these people are unsubbing from the game not because of game mechanics, lack of end game content, continued performance problems/bugs, or any of the other numerous legitimate problems this game has. No, in your view the most rational explanation for the drop in sub numbers is because people were upset about a specific story choice early in the Smuggler's Act 1 story.

I'm just not sure you are serious at this point. If you aren't serious then +1 internetz for this performance. If you are serious...then wow....just....wow.

Correlation =/= causation. 95 % of all deathrow inmates have eaten pickles so pickles must cause murderous behavior, right?

There is absolutely no evidence that declining sub numbers have anything whatsoever to do with the playerbase being dissatisfied with the Smuggler storyline. In fact, I will go out on a limb and say that is the most absurd and completely foolish theory I have ever heard for why sub numbers are declining. You are suggesting that all of these people are unsubbing from the game not because of game mechanics, lack of end game content, continued performance problems/bugs, or any of the other numerous legitimate problems this game has. No, in your view the most rational explanation for the drop in sub numbers is because people were upset about a specific story choice early in the Smuggler's Act 1 story.

I'm just not sure you are serious at this point. If you aren't serious then +1 internetz for this performance. If you are serious...then wow....just....wow.[/quote

ur theory is ur own problem

yes i know theres is lots of other bad parts, who were more responsible for driving players away

and still i claim this,,if this is the perfect way to set up a mission,,we would see it a lot more

the reason, that it doesnt get so many complaints, is the fact , that it IS a rare form of mission

something "new and exciting",,yes,,but other than that it fails all logic

ur theory is ur own problem

yes i know theres is lots of other bad parts, who were more responsible for driving players away

and still i claim this,,if this is the perfect way to set up a mission,,we would see it a lot more

the reason, that it doesnt get so many complaints, is the fact , that it IS a rare form of mission

something "new and exciting",,yes,,but other than that it fails all logic

I'm actually struggling a little bit to make sense of this. Is English your first language?