Appear offline mode

SkullSader_VI

I know some people might find this tool completely useless and I get that, but if you are like me and are in a

somewhat small and active guild were you play a huge part in you can sometimes be nagged to do things you don’t

really feel like doing.

I am no anti social person I like doing Ops WZs and things like that, but it feels like as soon as I log in it is always “What you doing” or “Want to run this or do that” it has happen so much so that I hardly ever login to my main anymore.

I’ll give you one example that kind of annoyed me so much so that it got me to finally right this

So I and a RL friend of mine were on that spooky ship to recover the HK blue prints we were having fun looking for the bonus mission clues which caught me off guard and had me jump in my seat (good job on that btw Bioware) but then I got a whisper “are you almost done?”

they were planning on running three SM ops (which I find boring to play now because I out geared and ran it 100s of times) for black hole coms (which I never use) and hint after hint of me not wanting to go finally I give in and spend a total three hours grinding ops that I did not care for.

So now I ask if you guys think there should be an appear offline mode in the game I don’t see it hurting anyone it just give people a little bit of privacy who chose to play alone from time to time or am I being a selfish in wanting to play by myself or with another friend. Anyways what do you guys think?

(btw I don’t plan on joining leaving or joining another guild to solve this problem of mine there all good people I like to play with and leaving would just make things worse for me)

Edit: dont know how to post here to well :p

Edited by SkullSader_VI

Learn to just straight up say no. This isn't the games issue, it's yours. I like helping people and such but sometimes you need a little you time to relax and do whatever, tell them that. If they aren't okay with that then they're not good people and they're using you.

This is an mmo, they aren't going to let you turn off the only aspect(s) that make it an MMO and not a singleplayer with co-op.

Edited by ckoneful

I know some people might find this tool completely useless and I get that, but if you are like me and are in a

somewhat small and active guild were you play a huge part in you can sometimes be nagged to do things you don’t

really feel like doing.

I am no anti social person I like doing Ops WZs and things like that, but it feels like as soon as I log in it is always “What you doing” or “Want to run this or do that” it has happen so much so that I hardly ever login to my main anymore.

I’ll give you one example that kind of annoyed me so much so that it got me to finally right this

So I and a RL friend of mine were on that spooky ship to recover the HK blue prints we were having fun looking for the bonus mission clues which caught me off guard and had me jump in my seat (good job on that btw Bioware) but then I got a whisper “are you almost done?”

they were planning on running three SM ops (which I find boring to play now because I out geared and ran it 100s of times) for black hole coms (which I never use) and hint after hint of me not wanting to go finally I give in and spend a total three hours grinding ops that I did not care for.

So now I ask if you guys think there should be an appear offline mode in the game I don’t see it hurting anyone it just give people a little bit of privacy who chose to play alone from time to time or am I being a selfish in wanting to play by myself or with another friend. Anyways what do you guys think?

(btw I don’t plan on joining leaving or joining another guild to solve this problem of mine there all good people I like to play with and leaving would just make things worse for me)

Maybe not like an "appear offline mode", I think it would be better maybe as just a kind of "Busy" status you can use to have some privacy. Seems like a fine idea to me :cool:

Maybe not like an "appear offline mode", I think it would be better maybe as just a kind of "Busy" status you can use to have some privacy. Seems like a fine idea to me :cool:

"Busy" sounds good, but I still think they would ask me whether or not I am close to being free soon.

I think it requires more than a fake "offline" status.

"Do not disturb", "AFK" or even custom status would be most welcome and useful, since people would not be bothering you in the first place according to your current status. Unless they don't care but then it falls to:

Learn to just straight up say no. This isn't the games issue, it's yours. I like helping people and such but sometimes you need a little you time to relax and do whatever, tell them that. If they aren't okay with that then they're not good people and they're using you.
Edited by Elysith

Actually, I was wishing I had the same thing too. While I enjoy chatting with all my friends, sometimes it can get overwhelming when a dozen people are whispering me the entire time I'm logged on. Sometimes I just want to play with one or two people for a couple uninterrupted hours, but I don't want to insult/upset the others by ignoring their whispers and etc. So appearing as offline would be nice. Edited by Radzkie

I support this idea as well. Call it what you want. AFK, Offline, Busy, etc. I like it. I tend to enjoy playing support classes for their versatility. I end up doing allot of healing or tanking because no one else will do it....so there are many times I'd just prefer to sit back and be silent. I enjoy having people around, but not all the time. This would be a great way to let people know that you are busy and to ask someone else.

• 2 years later...

Resurrected! :rak_03:

All though most of the time I enjoy playing with others the option to appear offline would sometimes be nice, that goes for all games that have a friend system because sometimes you just want to do your thing.

really feel like doing.

Edit: dont know how to post here to well :p

did the whisper that you chose to read really disturb you that much? break your immersion?

try closing the chat window so that when you choose to read your message, you dont see the messages?

this game is completely broken right now, i really hope they aren't going to consider something like this

Resurrected! :rak_03:

All though most of the time I enjoy playing with others the option to appear offline would sometimes be nice, that goes for all games that have a friend system because sometimes you just want to do your thing.

. Just be glad its not like Cryptic games... not only can they see you on ANY character your playing, but it even shows you when your playing entirely different games....

IE: Anyone in your friends list in Star Trek Online would open their friends list up and see

yourplayername@yourplayerhandle - Champions Online

(or Neverwinter or whatever other game Perfect World Entertainment owns that you play)

That game also has a privacy setting... but its per character so they see your @name log in but not who your on so all anyone has to do is send a tell like this:

/tell @youraccounthandle I see joo!!!

and it goes to whoever your on... yeah anyone not a window licker can bypass the "privacy/offline" mode... :rolleyes:

Oh.. and anyone set to private.. shoWs up in the list in italics...

Actual offline person is regular font hiding person is italiced...

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

I guess swtor doesnt have the entire facepalm market cornered ;)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

. Just be glad its not like Cryptic games... not only can they see you on ANY character your playing, but it even shows you when your playing entirely different games....

IE: Anyone in your friends list in Star Trek Online would open their friends list up and see

yourplayername@yourplayerhandle - Champions Online

(or Neverwinter or whatever other game Perfect World Entertainment owns that you play)

That game also has a privacy setting... but its per character so they see your @name log in but not who your on so all anyone has to do is send a tell like this:

/tell @youraccounthandle I see joo!!!

and it goes to whoever your on... yeah anyone not a window licker can bypass the "privacy/offline" mode... :rolleyes:

Oh.. and anyone set to private.. shoWs up in the list in italics...

Actual offline person is regular font hiding person is italiced...

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playername

Offline@playernameplayername

I guess swtor doesnt have the entire facepalm market cornered ;)

That sounds like my living nightmare. I have alts that I purposefully keep separate friends lists for and do not refer to just so I can have time to myself.

I know this is an MMO, and that grouping with people is part of an MMO, but that doesn't mean grouping should be all anyone ever does in an MMO.

I know this is an MMO, and that grouping with people is part of an MMO, but that doesn't mean grouping should be all anyone ever does in an MMO.

for the record there is a chat setting to where anyone who whispers you gets a notice of "yourname is busy"

However I forget what the chat command is.

I dunno... the current broken social indicator serves the function pretty well.

Unless I go out of my way to see if my friends are online by specifically looking at the friends window, I have no way of knowing whether they're online or not unless I happen to be looking at the screen when the log on.

Then again, if they cycle through alts, it might tell me I have 20 friends online even though nobody is because it doesn't update when they log off so it's a crapshoot at best.