first time dread guard relic purchase for guardian, elemental vs energy?

PostalS

Hello and thank you for your time,

I am playing a tank guardian and I finally have 300 daily commendations for the first time and want to buy a DG relic. I'm pretty sure I'm going for the shield amplification proc one.

But I need some info on the dmg proc relics. It's my understanding from reading the forums that the energy and elemental dmg relics benefit from force power instead of tech. So logically I would want one of these two dmg type relics.

Is that correct?

If so, wouldn't the energy one, dread guard relic of cerulean nova, be the correct choice since it does 280 dmg compared to the 210 from the elemental one? If they cost the same and one does 70 dmg less than the other, why would anyone choose the one, dread relic of elemental transcendence, that does lesser dmg?

Thanks for your time,

Postal

Relics don't benefit from any power, they always deal flat damage. Difference between elemental/internal and energy/kinetic is that first one is not mitigated by armor, while second one is. For some classes, there is no differece between elemental and internal, while others might have some skills increasing all elemental/internal damage(including damage from relics).

From what I remember, energy/kinetic relics give more damage for classes with passive armor penetration, and elemental/internal for classes/specs without. So if you're playing focus with 30% penetration, energy relic will deal slightly more damage than elemental, in vigilance slightly less.

Relics don't benefit from any power, they always deal flat damage.

According to the latest player tests ( there are a couple of threads with hours of parses on the subject) They can crit the internal and kinetic relics take your tech crit chance and the elemental and energy relics take your force crit chance.

So yes for a Jedi Guardian you have to choose between elemental and energy the rest is correct one of them ignores armor so its good for classes that dont have any type of armor penetration and the other one is good for classes that have armor pen, or skills that reduce enemy armor.

Difference between elemental/internal and energy/kinetic is that first one is not mitigated by armor, while second one is. For some classes, there is no differece between elemental and internal, while others might have some skills increasing all elemental/internal damage(including damage from relics).

From what I remember, energy/kinetic relics give more damage for classes with passive armor penetration, and elemental/internal for classes/specs without. So if you're playing focus with 30% penetration, energy relic will deal slightly more damage than elemental, in vigilance slightly less.

Hello and thank you for your time,

I am playing a tank guardian and I finally have 300 daily commendations for the first time and want to buy a DG relic. I'm pretty sure I'm going for the shield amplification proc one.

But I need some info on the dmg proc relics. It's my understanding from reading the forums that the energy and elemental dmg relics benefit from force power instead of tech. So logically I would want one of these two dmg type relics.

Is that correct?

If so, wouldn't the energy one, dread guard relic of cerulean nova, be the correct choice since it does 280 dmg compared to the 210 from the elemental one? If they cost the same and one does 70 dmg less than the other, why would anyone choose the one, dread relic of elemental transcendence, that does lesser dmg?

Thanks for your time,

Postal

I'd go for internal which you did not even list here :) Internal means that all damage reduction, armor etc is being ignored. I think.

According to the latest player tests ( there are a couple of threads with hours of parses on the subject) They can crit the internal and kinetic relics take your tech crit chance and the elemental and energy relics take your force crit chance.

I mentioned only power, because everything benefits from crit and surge. Regarding types of relics. my reserach on this subject says otherwise, that there is no relation whatsoever. But, assuming there is one, by all means it's better to go with one that might have better change for crit.

and the other one is good for classes that have armor pen, or skills that reduce enemy armor.

But there, I have to disagree. Skills that reduce enemy armor reduce it for everyone, player doing this doesn't get any extra benefits, so possesing only skill that reduces enemy armor(like Sunder) does not allow energy/kinetic relics to hit more than internal/elemental on target with boss-like armor.