Breath of fresh air ARTICLE: Why I Play SWTOR

I think a lot of kids (when I say kids I mean anyone under 25 since I am old lol) did not grow up with Star Wars the way I did. We didnt have computers to play with we had star wars toys and our imagination. I think thats why all of us old folks overlook the little bugs and quirks because its the whole setting we like. Those bugs and quirks can be fixed or worked around. The setting and the feel of the stories etc are not so easy to get right.

I'll say I dont play this game because of pvp. I dont play this game because of pve. I play this game because its Star Wars. The other stuff is secondary to me. I would never play GW2 as good as it may be to some people because it is not Star Wars.

Edited by Leggomy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of kids (when I say kids I mean anyone under 25 since I am old lol) did not grow up with Star Wars the way I did. We didnt have computers to play with we had star wars toys and our imagination. I think thats why all of us old folks overlook the little bugs and quirks because its the whole setting we like. Those bugs and quirks can be fixed or worked around. The setting and the feel of the stories etc are not so easy to get right.

I'll say I dont play this game because of pvp. I dont play this game because of pve. I play this game because its Star Wars. The other stuff is secondary to me. I would never play GW2 as good as it may be to some people because it is not Star Wars.

Hehe, hell, life is bugs and quirks. I'm darned near 40 and used to it.

Can someone point me toward these negative reviews that are coming from IGN and Gamespot? The only negative things that I see are reports about the analyst who said that the game would have less players by this time next year. The only reviews I see are 8 and above.

On topic, thanks for the great article! I personally am still having a lot of fun with the game. About to finish my second 50, and looking forward to starting another alt to experience another story.

The game isn't without its problems though. I would like a functional way to form a group for FPs. I've only done four of them since beta, and the highest level one was Athiss. I think that BW needs to address the server population problem. I also recognize that some people are upset by the focus on story, and were looking for more in the way of progression raiding. The game is not for everyone, and all those behind the hype (BW included) are probably to blame for some of the hate.

PS, does this make me a fanboy?

Can someone point me toward these negative reviews that are coming from IGN and Gamespot? The only negative things that I see are reports about the analyst who said that the game would have less players by this time next year. The only reviews I see are 8 and above.

On topic, thanks for the great article! I personally am still having a lot of fun with the game. About to finish my second 50, and looking forward to starting another alt to experience another story.

The game isn't without its problems though. I would like a functional way to form a group for FPs. I've only done four of them since beta, and the highest level one was Athiss. I think that BW needs to address the server population problem. I also recognize that some people are upset by the focus on story, and were looking for more in the way of progression raiding. The game is not for everyone, and all those behind the hype (BW included) are probably to blame for some of the hate.

PS, does this make me a fanboy?

Yeah, it'll be nice when they implement the server transfers and the LFG tool soon.

That's a great point. And the games that we DID have were extremely simple (like the Star Wars games for TRS-80 in 1977 and 1978) and the infamous Empire Strikes Back cartridge for the Atari.

But as you said, it all still hearkened back to that feeling we had sitting in theaters, watching that huge star destroyer fly by in that epic first scene, and keep going... and going... and going... and going... a star-hopping swashbuckling farm boy dragged into a galactic conflict, a brash smuggler with an eye for profit but a greater passion in his heart if it could just be pulled forward, and a beautiful princess who, while needing a rescue, was anything but your typical damsel in distress.

Our Star Wars figures weren't perfect. Their lightsabers that extended from their arms had a little tab that stuck out the back of the arm. The tips could get bent pretty easily if you weren't careful. Their elbows and knees didn't bend. But they were close enough to the real thing to play with them for hours on end, without writing furious letters to Kenner complaining about bugs in design and lack of realism or bashing the designers for lack of vision.

We just figured out how to make do with what we had and enjoy ourselves anyway, without browbeating our friends about how their Star Wars figures would be worthless and undesirable once the new G.I.Joe figures hit the market with their bendable elbows and knees.

It was a simpler time, and we had less expectations. In some ways, I feel sorry sometimes for some of the kids coming up today and how they are being "trained" in the modern marketplace. But then again older folks have always worried about the younger generations, wondering if they weren't broken, so I can't say it's really any different now. But from the posts we see from time to time... it sure seems like it.

To the original point and the quote above... those toys and games all left a LOT to the imagination. WE had to fill in those gaps ourselves. We didn't demand that Kenner or Atari or someone else do it for us. We learned to do it as a matter of course. Today, with a game like SWTOR that hits so close to home and does such a great job representing this fantastic universe of ideas, it seems like child's play to gloss over the problems we find and still focus on the fun and enjoyment that's there to be had.

And the enormous amount of technological progress since those days of playing with plastic figures on the living room carpet while our parents watched television in the background really has made a difference.

When you slid that little plastic tab and Luke's lightsaber stuck out of his arm, YOU had to make the lightsaber sounds. And they might have been close, but they weren't quite the same as Ben Burtt's fantastic work on the original movies. Now... you just have to hit "Z" and watch your lightsabers come flaring forth, with that classic dead-on harmonic humming sound.

And we could make our own laser sounds as we flew our big plastic X-Wing toys around the room by hand, but they weren't quite the same as those awesome effects in the movies, at least without grabbing one of Dad's wrenches and running outside to smack a guide wire on the nearest telephone pole.

Now we just double click... type in a password... select a character, and you're off and running in an amazing world. I love every second of it.