Good evenly priced computer

Revontal

Ok I'm trying to get a new good priced desktop that can play swtor any suggestions?

Cheap as in around $1000>

And a good ram...and all that good stuff

Feel free to be 1 out of 100 people that stare at this and usually don't respond but if you are 1/100 that do respond what are your suggestions: Just a desktop no accessories maybe a new mouse but that's it.

Ok I'm trying to get a new good priced desktop that can play swtor any suggestions?

Cheap as in around $1000>

And a good ram...and all that good stuff

Feel free to be 1 out of 100 people that stare at this and usually don't respond but if you are 1/100 that do respond what are your suggestions: Just a desktop no accessories maybe a new mouse but that's it.

Get yourself something with a i5 3570k CPU (~200$) and a Radeon HD7870 Ghz Edition / GeForce GTX 660 TI (~ 200$ as well) upward...

Add to that 8 GB of good quality RAM (SDRAM DDR3 at 1600 speed. Should be around 80$.

I'm really not into mainboards, so I can't give you any advices there.

Then you still have a large part of your budget for a HD (1 TB with good fast speed suitable for gaming will be at 80 - 100$) and a SSD if you wish. PSU, case and additional fans/heat sinks aren't that expensive compared to the aforementioned parts

OR:

if you don't want to build a custom PC, stuff like this looks quite ok:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227460

just my 2 cents, speaking of newegg try -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019096%20600030537%204022&IsNodeId=1&name=%24750%20-%20%241000

the links give a selection to browse through at your price range.

or -

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:114|lp:500:hp:999.99|&Sort=1

as far as cpu's the 4th gen i5's should serve well enough. and for graphics try to stick to the GTX ( intel ) level of gpu's, the higher end 600 series ( GeForce GTX 660 for example ) will run swtor quite well. ( I know almost nothing about amd so can't advise you there ).

you can always save up to upgrade your graphics to the GTX 700 series later on. I personally would get something with a mid range i7 for cpu as in theory it will be better able to handle the next batch of high end games that come out next year, and upgrading a cpu will depend on what the motherboard can support.

anyway, hope this helps at least a bit - :)

I have been hearing good things about Digital Storm, they now have a pre-built system that is not much more than what one could build it themselves from what they say. Myself, I just bought one a few days ago since I don't have much money to buy a fancier PC and don't have the skill or nerves to build one myself. :)

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish.asp

The Level 3 looks nice I think and had mostly what I wanted.

I have been hearing good things about Digital Storm, they now have a pre-built system that is not much more than what one could build it themselves from what they say. Myself, I just bought one a few days ago since I don't have much money to buy a fancier PC and don't have the skill or nerves to build one myself. :)

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish.asp

The Level 3 looks nice I think and had mostly what I wanted.

I like what they did in the way of builds there, wish they would allow people to customize a rig though. But I agree Level 3 or better is what you want if for no reason than you go from an i3 to an i5 and you get a heftier PSU, which if you're going to change anything out or add anything having more power helps. If you're brave enough to build yourself you may actually spend more than what those are running, however, you get a lot more options in the way of customizing it.

This is what I built less than a month ago... now there are a handful of things I'd do differently but nothing earth shattering. And if I had a tighter budget there are a lot of things I would have done differently, starting with the need for a second hard drive, I'd go for the SSD only if I had to save some green.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=657949

If you choose to do a build yourself drop me a line and tell me your budget and I'll at least tell you how I would do it myself for that price.

But no matter what you choose let me say, upgrading to a better system to play this game does make a world of difference, I used to play on my laptop with the lowest settings of everything, now I play highest settings everything and WOW.. just amazing, it's a whole different experience.

It doesn't help I am still on a Dell XPS 420, going on almost 5 years old now... It's a quad core, but only has an ATI 3800 series graphics card. It runs fine on Medium at 30fps, 60fps at low... But either the card or fans are going since it seems to be running hotter now so have it set to very low otherwise it's way too loud. :)

As for the non customizing at DS, it's only for that model since they are pre-built and ready to ship... I didn't want to wait the 2-3 weeks most places would take but can see myself going for a full custom in a few years if money is less tight. Actually, their top tier PC starts at 10k IIRC. :D

Edited by sabbey

It doesn't help I am still on a Dell XPS 420, going on almost 5 years old now... It's a quad core, but only has an ATI 3800 series graphics card. It runs fine on Medium at 30fps, 60fps at low... But either the card or fans are going since it seems to be running hotter now so have it set to very low otherwise it's way too loud. :)

Didn't you say you just bought a new PC? :confused:

Anyway, have you cleaned the fans and heatsinks in your old rig from dust and renewed the heat transfer paste at the joints of CPU and GPU and their respective heatsinks?

Maybe this helps a bit.

Yeah, I purchased it Friday night and it hasn't shipped yet... I did clean out the dust again a couple of weeks ago however on my older PC. As for applying the new paste, had no idea that is something I could do. I keep thinking I might take a course at the adult school here, but really would like to start building my own rigs eventually.