How to obtain Lvl 31 Armoring/Mod/Enhancements

LordHartigan

Through reverse engineering only. So armoring and mods is through cybertech and enhancements are through artifice. You must acquire gear with grade 31 item modifications via comms or running operations, rip out the item modifications and then reverse engineer the item modification. As always there is a 20% chance of success.

That being said, my advice...don't actively seek the schematics. If the opportunity presents itself go for it, but otherwise don't bother. Why?...

#1 gear with grade 31 item modifications are available for elite commendations. Meaning that demand for crafted ones is lower than in the past

#2 the materials to craft the grade 31 item modifications usually cost more than the crafted items are valued at. On average (on my server) the materials run about 1mil and crafted item modifications sell for about 1.2mil. factor in the GTM cut and the profit margin is negligible.

And FYI, I am most definitely not trying to protect my "business." I only have a handful of grade 30 and 31 schematics because I practice what I preach and have never crafted any (I sell the materials and buy the finished product).

Edited by psandak

That's how you get from green to purple, but aren't the recipes discovered through slicing missions or something like that. I don't think you can buy the 31 recipes from any vendor (other than the GTN)?

slicing will return up to '28 schematics.

if slicing could return '31 schematics, you'd find them on the GTN.

That's how you get from green to purple, but aren't the recipes discovered through slicing missions or something like that. I don't think you can buy the 31 recipes from any vendor (other than the GTN)?

Trainers do not have the schematics for grade 31 nor 30 items. None. The schematics aren't drops either, so no chance of finding them on the GTN.

Like psandak explained, you can only get them through reverse engineering

Slicing provides on a crit with sliced tech missions, schematics for augments, not for armorings, mods, etc....

Trainers do not have the schematics for grade 31 nor 30 items. None. The schematics aren't drops either, so no chance of finding them on the GTN.

Like psandak explained, you can only get them through reverse engineering

Slicing provides on a crit with sliced tech missions, schematics for augments, not for armorings, mods, etc....

So as an example, something Advanced Aptitude Mod 31 which is purple, what would you reverse engineer to get the schematic for that?

So as an example, something Advanced Aptitude Mod 31 which is purple, what would you reverse engineer to get the schematic for that?

Yes. All item modification schematics (armoring, mod, enhancement) above grade 28 (that's 30 and 31 for the moment) must be learned by reverse engineering existing item modifications.

There is no such thing as a premium/green or blue/prototype Aptitude Mod 31 (or any other grade 30 or 31 item modification); they are ALL purple.

Yes. All item modification schematics (armoring, mod, enhancement) above grade 28 (that's 30 and 31 for the moment) must be learned by reverse engineering existing item modifications.

There is no such thing as a premium/green or blue/prototype Aptitude Mod 31 (or any other grade 30 or 31 item modification); they are ALL purple.

Thanks, I think I get it. Basically above 28 they're a drop in the form of gear is what you're saying, right? I'm not going to be able to get the schematic from a crew skill mission or reverse engineering anything other than the mod the schematic is for. Only purchasable from GTN or reverse engineering it from a drop.

Edited by LordHartigan

Thanks, I think I get it. Basically above 28 they're a drop in the form of gear is what you're saying, right? I'm not going to be able to get the schematic from a crew skill mission or reverse engineering anything other than the mod the schematic is for. Only purchasable from GTN or reverse engineering it from a drop.

That is correct. And I will repeat my advice, do not actively seek them out; if the opportunity presents itself go for it, otherwise don't bother.

So, do you have a 100% chance to learn the schematic if you RE a mod? Or is it, like lower level mods, 20%?

It is 20%. This, the decrease in demand (due to comms gear offering grade 31), and the cost of materials exceeding the value of the crafted products, are the reasons why I advise against actively seeking these schematics.

Wow, that sucks.

So, basically, this is Bioware saying 'We don't care what you, the player wants, we're going to force you into wearing specific items if you want the best bonuses. What happened to character customisation?

ALL endgame mods should be available to the crafters. Expensive, yes, but available (and at a lower cost than hundreds of commendations for a chance at unlocking the schematic). That was the whole point of having the orange items in the game in the first place.

@dazednconfuzed,

Um, set bonuses for operation grade gear are linked to the armoring within the piece of gear. You can rip out the armoring (and mod and enhancement) of the piece you get with the token and put it into any piece of the same type (chest piece armoring must go into another chest piece) and the set bonus transfers.

It has been this way for quite some time now.

Yes, if you RE a set piece armoring, the set bonus is removed if you get the schematic. But who wants ~90 armorings (9 slots with moddable gear, 10 sets of gear across four classes [2 classes fill 2 roles, 2 classes fill all three roles], minus a handful of off-hands that take barrels/hilts) clogging up their crafting skill window more than it already is?

#1 gear with grade 31 item modifications are available for elite commendations. Meaning that demand for crafted ones is lower than in the past

Very slightly disagree. From what I've seen, main-hand weapons are not offered for Elite Commendations, which means that blaster barrels and lightsaber hilts would still be popular, since (at least for the off-hand lightsaber) the primary weapon component is off-hand only when ripped out. Being able to RE, learn, and then craft the 31 hilts/barrels such that they can be used in the main-hand weapon would be very beneficial and profitable - Might Hilt 31s are about 1m on my server last I looked, for example.

Very slightly disagree. From what I've seen, main-hand weapons are not offered for Elite Commendations, which means that blaster barrels and lightsaber hilts would still be popular, since (at least for the off-hand lightsaber) the primary weapon component is off-hand only when ripped out. Being able to RE, learn, and then craft the 31 hilts/barrels such that they can be used in the main-hand weapon would be very beneficial and profitable - Might Hilt 31s are about 1m on my server last I looked, for example.

But how much do the one MMG, five I-5s, and five EEEs cost? Last I checked, on my server (The Harbinger) MMGs were running about 425k, the I-5s 75k each (375k total) and the EEE were running 25k each (125k total). That's 900k in the exotic materials throw in another 20k for the basic materials (10 of each carbonic crystal and primordial artifact fragments) and take out the GTM cut of 6% (that's 60000 credits) and you are generating 20k in profit or 2.174% profit margin from your 920k investment.

Now take into account that the non-raider has to spend that million credits per 20% chance of getting the schematic in the first place. Even if you get the schematic on the first try it will take 50 sales before you break even. Multiply that by every failed RE. Or you can raid HM S&V and/or HM TfB and hope no one needs the main hand or off hand respectively so you have the opportunity to RE.

Lastly, when you consider the stat differences between the grade 28 hilt/barrel (which is trained) and the 31 (+14 in both stats), the number of players willing to lay down 1 million credits for that boost, HAS to be incredibly low; not to mention the fact that ONLY subscribers can have a million credits available to them (F2P has a 300k credits total limit and Preferred has 350k....without unlocks of course).

Is all that still worth actively seeking the schematic for even ONE grade 31?

Well, that's one way to do it. However, the I-5s can be obtained with 35 - what? Basic Commendations? - each, so 175 for one hilt; the EEEs drop from HM55 FPs, which you need to farm, anyway, for Elite Commendations to buy an off-hand weapon to RE the hilt; the basic mats can be farmed quite easily instead of being purchased - could probably get ten of each just doing Oriconion dailies; the MMG I'm not familiar with, but I'll assume Op drop, and say that's the one thing most likely to be acquired with credits.

So, really, minimal financial investment for pretty solid financial return. Especially since everything you need to do to get the mats yourself (FPs and dailies) basically makes you piles of credits, too. However, there is still a significant investment - one of time, rather than credits. The true value of any of it is difficult to measure, though, as it is entirely up to the individual. I mean, you may only gain 14 strength going from a Might 28 to a Might 31, but you also gain plenty of raw weapon damage on top of that - and raw damage, for a weapon based DPS, is almost always worth more important than mere stats.

As I said initially, I was only slightly disagreeing. There is some value, but, as a crafter, you have to weigh the potential gains against your investment of either time or money. Personally, if I had nothing better to do with Elite Commendations, it'd be worth my while.

As I said initially, I was only slightly disagreeing. There is some value, but, as a crafter, you have to weigh the potential gains against your investment of either time or money. Personally, if I had nothing better to do with Elite Commendations, it'd be worth my while.

At this late point, I am in that boat. But, IMO, that is more "the opportunity presenting itself" than actively seeking the schematics. I am using legacy gear and three full 31+ characters to ship elite comms item mods to my cybertech and artifice. But I am only running HMFPs to complete the weekly on those three characters. Running HMFPs every day just for the elite comms is too much like actively seeking for my taste.

But how much do the one MMG, five I-5s, and five EEEs cost? Last I checked, on my server (The Harbinger) MMGs were running about 425k, the I-5s 75k each (375k total) and the EEE were running 25k each (125k total). That's 900k in the exotic materials throw in another 20k for the basic materials (10 of each carbonic crystal and primordial artifact fragments) and take out the GTM cut of 6% (that's 60000 credits) and you are generating 20k in profit or 2.174% profit margin from your 920k investment.

I don't disagree with your assesement of not activately looking for these schematics, but the profit is not made this way. For the longest time, when it comes to hilt/barrels etc, the actual profit are the crits. You sell the extra item on GTN. Or you keep it for your next customer so then you can sell those other mats. That's a lot more than 20k

Lastly, when you consider the stat differences between the grade 28 hilt/barrel (which is trained) and the 31 (+14 in both stats), the number of players willing to lay down 1 million credits for that boost, HAS to be incredibly low; not to mention the fact that ONLY subscribers can have a million credits available to them (F2P has a 300k credits total limit and Preferred has 350k....without unlocks of course).

Man... the boost from a 28 weapon to a 31 is friggin huge. Yeah, the increase in mainstat is small, but that's not what matters. What matters is the increase in tech/force power (it has the same value as power) which is really big. I don't have the game now so I can't say for sure how much it is. Also, a higher hilt/barrel rating will increase the base damage of your weapon, so all your abilities will be affected by that new number.

Upgrading your mainhand is the single best upgrade you can make. By far. The 2nd one is offhand.

I don't disagree with your assesement of not activately looking for these schematics, but the profit is not made this way. For the longest time, when it comes to hilt/barrels etc, the actual profit are the crits. You sell the extra item on GTN. Or you keep it for your next customer so then you can sell those other mats. That's a lot more than 20k

I have said as much in (many) other posts: one is completely dependent on crits for any significant profit.

And many many more times over,many crafters chose that approch to make their big creds, which they accomplished.

But not all crafted item are as dependent on crits as grade 31 item modifications. All the grade 28s I sell are VERY profitable even without crits. I made my first 10 million credits selling nothing but blue grade 22 augments during the summer of 2012 (when augment slot kits came out) because the profit margin ran at about 200%. Grade 28 blue augments are not THAT profitable but still positive profit margin without crits.

But not all crafted item are as dependent on crits as grade 31 item modifications. All the grade 28s I sell are VERY profitable even without crits. I made my first 10 million credits selling nothing but blue grade 22 augments during the summer of 2012 (when augment slot kits came out) because the profit margin ran at about 200%. Grade 28 blue augments are not THAT profitable but still positive profit margin without crits.

And despite of this dependency on crits, you could make 10 millions or more on a single day by selling armorings.

The introduction of the next gear set and the subsequent possibilty of obtaining schematics from 78 gear will make cybertech the cash-cow it used to be during the black-hole and dread guard-gear days.

And despite of this dependency on crits, you could make 10 millions or more on a single day by selling armorings.

The introduction of the next gear set and the subsequent possibilty of obtaining schematics from 78 gear will make cybertech the cash-cow it used to be during the black-hole and dread guard-gear days.

"could make 10 million" implies there is a chance of not making anything. selling grade 28s, I DO make millions and have trouble keeping up with demand, but only because I do not try very hard.

And you are right that with grade 78s becoming craftable on the horizon, item modification crafting skills, will be cash cows. But that is also one more reason NOT to seek 31s...31s will be (if not already) obsolete.

Edited by psandak