Sith Sorcerer Lightning Abilities: Lackluster Sound Effects?

ShadowMasterRP

So I leveled my Sith Warrior to 50 and enjoyed the experience quite a bit.

Especially after they fixed the sound channel issue that made a lot of sounds not play, playing a warrior became really fun with all the sound effects from light saber strikes and Force Choke and so forth.

But now I've started up playing a Sith Sorcerer and... it just feels so lackluster.

The sound effects for the various Force Lightning abilities are really weak and quiet even at 100% volume. I'm guessing this is because the sound effects are played from the target rather than from the casting player character, or somewhere in between, while the sound system in the game makes you hear sounds depending on how close or far your character is from the source of the sounds.

It just doesn't feel like I'm frying an enemy with Force Lightning at all. More like I'm standing there and watching someone far, far in the distance being electrocuted, but they're so far, I can barely hear the sounds of it happening.

Anyone else feel disappointed in Force Lightning ability sound effects?

Or perhaps there's some trick to making them louder than they are at 100%? :sul_confused:

Maybe you can spam something that isn't force lightening? I hear it just fine when sorcs only use that single ability over and over... its nice and loud too.

I will endorse a buff to the sound effects of the ability in return for a higher cd on it.

Agreed, abilities like thundering blast and chain lightning really need more of that cracking thunder sound.

Ever had a lightning bolt strike somewhere within relatively close proximity to you? The sound makes you jump out of your skin - that's what we should be getting out of abilities like thundering blast/chain lightning.

Also, for visual effects, the lightning seems to be pretty weak - very translucent and spread out, instead of focused. Electricity doesnt work that way, it doesnt form a million little arcs randomly going through the air at the target, watch a tesla coil firing off sometime bioware - more focused, single-arc lightning please.

I had a lightning bolt strike the road around 10-15 feet in front of my car while driving once. It didnt even look like 'normal' lightning up close, it looked like a massive orange laser beam blasting the asphalt out of the road, had a shower of asphalt chunks pelt my car.

• 2 years later...

I would suggest explosive surge type sound, troopers pulse cannon is rediculosly loud and graphic, and would fit more with the sorcerer than that little carbine set to hurricane Katrina mode.

I also believe lord of the rings online got electricity down decent with the Runekeeper solitary thunder traits. Their casts are 1 maybe 2 arcs and long range and I love the visuals of Vivid Imagery ..overall I wasn't happy with other aspects of that game and quit it, but I do think their lightning abilities are spot on realistic and feels more like your watching a revised version of the Sith sorcerer ..Hey BW take a look at them RK's ..I'm sure lotro won't be mad if u took some ideas that they probably took from Star Wars to begin with haha

Lightning Sorcerer sound effects are lackluster? o_O I find their sound effects to be the most prominent across the different DPS specs. In fact i wish i wish the TK sage version would be propped up a little bit more (Sorcs get a loud crackling sound when Lightning Storm procs. TK sages don't have as prominent sound fx when their Tidal Wave procs. Heres a short Lightning
(w/ Sound fx that i made) Edited by paowee

I had a lightning bolt strike the road around 10-15 feet in front of my car while driving once. It didnt even look like 'normal' lightning up close, it looked like a massive orange laser beam blasting the asphalt out of the road, had a shower of asphalt chunks pelt my car.

YIKES! That's a once in a lifetime experience, if that (hopefully).

I do think the sound is a bit lackluster. I also think that the sorc abilities are largely similar in terms of visual appearance as well - purple lightning #1, #2, #3, etc.

I agree with this! The only effct I love is the Force Storm because for 1 second after the skill is complete, you hear that thunder in the background, just like when palpatine killed mace windu and zapped him out the window. I would LOVE that force thunder sound effects.

:o