So I tried to tell my wife...

SteffizleESQ

if your in your 30s, even early 40s you are born into the first console/gaming/generation.

Atari 2600 (cartridge slotter)

Commadore 64.

Amiga

Master System

Mega Drive

Nintendo 64

Playstation

PC

Playstation 2

Xbox 360

Playstation 3

Gaming Laptop

This is my history of gaming... My hobby....

But its not my life, family comes first this is my bonus on nights when theres nothing on TV. My ex-spouse stated its not the gaming itself thats the issue its the fact your chatting and having conversations with others and not me...... Which when you look at it,, was true....

If all you were doing was logging in and having conversations while you LOL AFK then yeah it's wrong. If you were just doing stuff and talking casually with guildies/friends etc. then yeah it would probably not be the case as your ex-spouse is saying.

You must have had a stage 5 clinger on your hands because if you are that selfish to get upset over communication on a game then that is a shame.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I have the perfect relationship. She loves reality tv and i love gaming. when her tv shows are on i game when they are not we geo cache or out to dinner. Thank fully there are alot of reality tv shows.

If you can't have 60 minutes of uninterrupted time to yourself, each day, at this point in your relationship- your wife needs to get a life. Sorry if that sounds pretty rough- there just isn't a nicer way to put it. I actaully had this problem in my own relationship (over 10 years together now). I resolved the issue by laying out this way.

My Darling Dearest Love... pick 1 because you will not get both.

1) you can have 5 minutes of every hour for the next 50 years, and I will be there for you anytime you need me.

~or~

2) you can have 30 minutes of every hour for the next 5 years, and then I will leave you to preserve my own sanity.

Pissed her off..... 1 time...... over 9 years ago

If she can't find something to entertain herself for 60min each day.... You can't spend every waking moment with someone without learning how to hate them. As for making a gamer out of your wife- she just hasn't met the right game yet.... TOR made my wife into a gamer.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

Female online gamers have more sex than females who do not play online games. I'm not making it up, it's Science! Admittedly, ~2,000 people is a very small sample size compared to the over 300mil people in the US, so the results should probably be viewed as preliminary (at best). Still, it's an interesting trend.

So just maybe, guys, you'd better be starting her off with Farmville and Gardens of Time on Facebook and working up from there...

Paige

http://www.technewsdaily.com/3447-women-game-sex-study-finds.html

Text of article is here, highlights are mine.

Gaming may be good for a girl’s libido, her social life and her self-esteem.

Findings from an online survey of 2,132 U.S. adults conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of social game developer GameHouse reveal that women who play games — on their computers, on social networking sites and mobile devices — have different habits and attitudes from their nongaming female counterparts. Women represented the majority (55 percent) of online gamers in the study.

Gamers are more social in “the real world,” according to the study. Forty-two percent of female online gamers socialize with friends and family in person at least once per day compared with 31 percent of women who do not play online games. Further, 86 percent of female online gamers socialize on social networking sites compared to 71 percent of those who do not play online games.

Gamers are no more couch potatoes than nongamers. Nearly half of each group (49 percent) said that they work out or play sports at least once a week.

Gamers also have more sex. It was also found that more female online gamers (57 percent) have sex more often than women who do not play online games (52 percent). More than half of the women surveyed (64 percent) said they were in a serious relationship (i.e. married or living with a partner). Seven out of 10 women reported they were happy with their relationship.

“It's nice to know that females who play online games are happy – both in their relationships and even in the bedroom," Matt Hulett, chief gamer at GameHouse, said in a statement.

Older, wiser and more fun

Respondents reported feeling happier and smarter as a result of playing online games. Fifty-five percent of women who play online games said that they are happier in their life because they play online games and 50 percent feel that online games make them feel smarter.

You won’t find a majority of online gamers clubbing in Manhattan. These women are older and most live in the South. Sixty-four percent of female online gamers are over 35 years old and are 42 years old on average. Thirty-five percent of them live in the South, compared to 21 percent in the Northeast, 22 percent in the Midwest and an equal percentage in the West.

I sort of pity you having a wife that didn't understand better than that, but let me tell you about a former co-worker of mine, his wife was so addicted to another MMO, I'll call it CoW just for laughs, that she spent all her time on there instead of with him, it got to the point where if they were going to be physically intimate, she would be playing the game bent over while he, you know. Yeah it can get that bad. She left him for the best tank on her server and moved into some guys parents basement. All that while he was working a job to make $500 a day and then had to deal with liver cancer, and she left him just like that for another game player, it happens. Incidentally my friend got treated and is in remission, he got his job for $500 a day, and she calls asking if she can come home, and he promptly tells her to stay the heck away.

Not all ladies are like this. I personally couldn't date someone who wouldn't let me play a little - if it was not interfering with, you know, actual relationship stuff.

That being said, as a gamer girl who is also in the market for a lady, yes, not a lot of ladies are into video games BUT... I have, on the flip side, encountered ladies who have ended up with boyfriends who do not understand their gamer needs. I am hoping dearly I end up with either a fellow gamer or someone with some solo hobbies we can do in the same room so as we can converse while gaming or knitting or whatever. Also, everyone needs some alone time.

Timing is everything. Surely, OP, your wife must have some kind of hobby or a favourite TV show that can entertain her for an hour a day.

Ok, I had to get in on this one. Perspective from a 24 yr old, successful salesman.

My fiancee left me last december (2010) because I did not treat her with respect, and prioritize her over my hobbies. Looking back she had every right to do this and I believe we are both in better relationships currently.

There are two very important keys to successfully have a relationship and mmo coexist IMO: balance, and the ability for both of you to understand this is a hobby.

My current gf of 6 months allows me to bring friends over to her place for a d&d game a run on wednesdays. But we both understand gaming is my hobby. I even used the word 'passionate' when I first started testing the waters by confessing that I enjoy gaming.

However, equally important is balance. I no longer play every night. I understand that that is not healthy for my relationship or fair to my gf. Instead of an hour a night I compact my time on weeknights that both of us know have been set aside. And scheduling is important!!!! Now she is no longer disappointed if she wants to go to dinner and I have a raid planned. We both know Sunday evening is for Football and TOR. BUT, Tuesday evening is date night. Period.

I think the most important thing is not being with someone who wants/expects you to change. Nor should you expect the wonderful person in your life to grab a controller when the next Madden comes out. And guys.... dont expect your woman to respect your game if you give her **** everytime she turns on a decoration show, bride show, or the oscars. Fair is fair. you better plan on watching the Titanic with her if you expect her to play Assassins Creed woth you.

My two cents.

I like your attitude. My husband and I have been married nearly 15 years. He enjoys cars, movies, and anime. I am the gamer of the family. My husband and I both respect each others hobbies and give each other the time to enjoy them. The key is to love and respect someone for who they are, not who you think they should be. I made that mistake in my first marriage and will never go there again (my first was also a bit of a d****).

...that playing 30-60 minutes a day makes me a "casual" player.

Bad idea.

She'll only get worse. Seek marriage counsiling or a divorce before you have any kids. If she cannot respect you and your time, she's a selfish skirt and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

My husband and I both play the game and have no issues with it. My only problem is he does not share his computer enough to let me play more. My computer should be able to play it but has had issues with it from day one. She should let you play some, only an hour a day isn't asking much, now if you were trying to ask for say 10 hours a day she would have a gripe.

Bad idea.

I try to spend 30-60 minutes a day, in a casual Real Life, but sometimes I rush through it and get it all messed up.

:D

Some online friendships are golden, just like the "real" ones. ;)

Bad idea.

So what's the problem? She's unimpressed that you're a "casual" player because she thinks an hour a day is "hardcore" and to find out that you're only a "casual" is upsetting? I can understand that.

Play more and win her respect. If not you'll just be another person trying to fit this mould society is throwing at us that marriage is not about love, respect, trust, fun and living together and building lives together, but instead it's all about how much you'll sacrifice for them, how much you'll give up, what you won't do in case they get upset, who you won't see in case they get upset etc. Personally I could not imagine anything worse (because I've lived this scenario and I know how bad it really is). And whatever you do is up to you. Can't give you anymore advise than that, as it's your life and it's not really my place. But

She'll only get worse. Seek marriage counsiling or a divorce before you have any kids. If she cannot respect you and your time, she's a selfish skirt and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Please do not bring children into this and expose them to her, which if she's their mother they will be. Same as for any future relationship you get into that's abusive like this one.

But I agree with her. You should try playing long enough to get something done when you do play. Again, if you're not comfortable with that, maybe ask her to stop pressuring you and changing you into something you don't want to be.

Edited by Darnu

Bad idea.

not to be a jerk, but with that time your wife should be very happy and greatfull, i also solve it by inviting her to play with me (gf) but she is not into SW universe so she still play other know online game while i play this one.

easy like that, we all end playing same time and meet in bed for pvp :p bestgame ever

been married since '94 and i've been gaming all that time (console/PC/MMO's) and wife has never complained (much....she gets slightly peeved when i play CS or TF2 and 'insult' the majority of players :p) because me playing lets her hog the TV and watch all her CSI's & phone-to-save-this-untalented-idiot program.

we will sit and watch the occassional program together - sons of anarchy atm, but mostly im on the PC, shes on the TV....17 years without a major row (im 43 shes 52)

just a matter of finding a sweet balance between each other and not upsetting that once you have it....

anyway...if she complains just tell her to get in the kitchen and make you a bacon sarnie :p if that gets you in trouble, great, women ignore you then and gives you more time to play without the moaning :D