Jedy Gurdian Advices.

LilOlKyleKatar

Hi guys, i'm a totall noob and i've just subscribed to the game.Decided to go with a tanky kind of character and jedi guardian seemed like a viable option. But after some Heroic quests with other people it just turned out that i'am not a lot useful as a tank and also bad at dps. Sentinel is a much better dps and also not as bad as a tank. So, i've been wondering if it is that i'm just really bad and something is wrong with my build and equipment, or just sentinel is simply more powerful .

Guardian is really a bad class for a beginner. It's on par with others, but it takes time to get used to and to learn - compared to the alternatives.

I suggest that you try Shadow or Vanguard - they are a lot easier with resource management, and their combat range is more flexible.

What level are you at?

Tanks are not there to deal tons of damage. They just have to keep enemy's attention so other guys won't get hurt a lot. If you have ability called Guard, you should use that on either the healer, or your strongest groupmate (the one who often "tanks" instead of you - that is bad). Most importantly you need to use Soresu form all the time. This form will make you generate less Focus, but will make you generate more threat (you need to have the most threat of all group members to tank successfully) and give you a nice armor boost. You should also wear a Shield generator, not just a generator. And another quite improtant thing is that it is YOU who starts combat. If the sentinel charges in before you, your task of getting enemies' threat will be way harder. As a tank, you are kind of a leader in your group. Before each encounter, you have to check if your group is healed and has full resources, and then start combat by engaging strongest enemy and making as much threat as possible in the tiny bit of time you have before others charge in battle.

Sentinels deal big damage, and so they also generate big threat. They however can not tank, because they only wear medium armor and stronger enemies would tear them apart (which is not the case on lower level planets, but wait and see). If they charge into fight first and don't give you the chance to get your initial threat, it is their fault and you are not bad for not getting all the enemies on you. Again, at your stage people might blame you, but later you will see that the reasonable damage dealers wait for tank to start combat.

If this sentinel seems to be tanking instead of you, you can use taunt (if you already have it) on the strongest enemy. That will make it attack you, and if you will keep attacking that enemy, the sentinel should not steal it from you again. If he does, then you are probably doing something wrong. You don't really need to worry about weak enemies, your damage dealers can tank these easily and they die quickly. Generally you should try to keep the silver and gold enemies from attacking your groupmates.

You should also make yourself some kind of reasonable ability rotation. You can not only use your strong attacks, because these cost focus and if you have no focus you will do nothing, and lose threat. You can't only use your basic attack because this builds focus, but also deals low damage and generates low threat, so you will probably lose enemy's attention if the strong sentinel attacks it. You need to build your focus using Leap and Sundering Strike (and Saber throw, if you have it), then you can do some of your strong attacks. You should already have Blade Storm, that you should use if there is a single strong enemy, or Force Sweep for a tight pack of enemies.

If you are in level 10-ish, there are not that huge differences between the roles. But later in game (25+) you will notice that the roles are strightly split. At Coruscant, your sentinel can pull threat of enemies and live, but if he does that on for example Balmorra's heroics, well, then he will probably die.

And yeah, as the guy above me said, Guardian is not the easiest tank, some call it the hardest, least balanced, wrongly built etc etc. If you want to tank easily, Vanguard is the choice, but for sake of your fun and good feeling, stick with your Guardian if you like it, as soon as you get used to the mechanics and learn your stuff, you will be good. No one starts as a master. Have patience, I personally actually recommend going with Guardian because they are the coolest tanks! :)

Edited by Slivovidze

Guardian tanking is a little tricky when you have more than one target. But single target, you'll have no trouble keeping aggro. I've leveling a Vanguard now, and tanking is a bit easier overall. But I don't think you will regret your decision to stay guardian :)

Have played a Guardian since release and I have to say, I didn't feel like a "tank" until into the 30's! Keep at it though! I find it totally rewarding.

As for stats, you want to be using a shield on a tank Guardian and a focus on a DPS Guardian. Stack Endurance over Strength on mods. armorings, etc for tanks. Vice versa on DPS.

Guardian is really a bad class for a beginner. It's on par with others, but it takes time to get used to and to learn - compared to the alternatives.

I suggest that you try Shadow or Vanguard - they are a lot easier with resource management, and their combat range is more flexible.

If you've played a protection based warrior in games like EQ, WoW, or LoTRO, you'll feel right at home with a Guardian and easily be able to transition into the class.

I find my Guardian far more versatile than my Vanguard and Powertech for PvE, and the latter for PvP.

i am leveling my guardian tank now and i have a question :)

how much def chance/shield chance/absorb rating is reasonable for guardian tank?

i have searched for this info for some time but none of the guides really says it clear enough :)

i have lev50 vanguard and she is basically shielding type of tank (12%/53%/75% - def/shield/absorb respectively, with buffs). to what level should i stack defense and other stats on my guardian? can i completely ignore shield and go for defense only?

If you've played a protection based warrior in games like EQ, WoW, or LoTRO, you'll feel right at home with a Guardian and easily be able to transition into the class.

I find my Guardian far more versatile than my Vanguard and Powertech for PvE, and the latter for PvP.

Disagree. Guardian resource management is trickier. It has a higher threshold of effective play than most other ToR classes. Saying that from personal experience with all core ACs at 50 (save for PT/VG - can't bring myself to level it because it's mindnumbing. Stuck at 30-ish).

i am leveling my guardian tank now and i have a question :)

how much def chance/shield chance/absorb rating is reasonable for guardian tank?

i have searched for this info for some time but none of the guides really says it clear enough :)

i have lev50 vanguard and she is basically shielding type of tank (12%/53%/75% - def/shield/absorb respectively, with buffs). to what level should i stack defense and other stats on my guardian? can i completely ignore shield and go for defense only?

Shield is a huuuuuuuuuge source of mitigation for all ToR tanks in PvE. I wouldn't advise ignoring it.

I don't think it's wise to stack Defense excessively - it hits diminishing returns quickly. As Guardian, I it's safe to say that you can afford to have a balanced set of stats Less Absorb, slightly more Defense, compared to your Vanguard.

Edited by Helig