Color crystals should be statless.

gabarooni

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the stats off em and move them into something else. IMO Color crystals should just be for color to add a little uniqness and diversity to your character.

That idea was confirmed as being discussed within Bioware according to Dulfy's last interview. It would be nice if this happened.

They have said recently that they are considering this but they need to look into it in detail due to potential issues with Artifice and other things.

^ This.

BW has said they are looking into this, but the slap to the face for Atificers would be something to worry about.

I'm still for a focus crystal to replace the stats.

They have said recently that they are considering this but they need to look into it in detail due to potential issues with Artifice and other things.

yes it would take away a major thing that artifice does. but they can work around that i suspect if they put their mind to it.

^ This.

BW has said they are looking into this, but the slap to the face for Atificers would be something to worry about.

I agree. Add an extra mod slot on weapons and saber/blaster off-hands for the stats, replace the color slot on vibroknives, focii, etc. to the stat slot. Artifice gains the ability to craft the focusing crystals using the appropriate level power crystals as the crafting item and boom, color crystals go back to what they should have been in the first place: vanity only and artifice gets a new item to sell without losing a thing in the process. They'll still be able to craft their usual colors: red, blue, green, magenta, yellow, and orange but now players won't feel 'forced' to give up their favorite color just because it has inferior stats to one they just got as a drop.

People said this even before the game was released.

Also there should be a client side option to use "cannon" colours. So black and other silly coloured sabers get replaced with normal ones, jedi don't appear with red sabers and sith with blue/green etc.

Edited by NasherUK

People said this even before the game was released.

Also there should be a client side option to use "cannon" colours. So black and other silly coloured sabers get replaced with white ones, jedi don't appear with red sabers and sith with blue/green etc.

Eh, black cores I can agree with since black is the absence of color but your second point is a greater point of contention and really is a topic in its own right.

I think what they need with regards to crystals is not statless crystals abut adjustable stats crystals. This way I get 41 points and then I can decide whether they go into endurance, willpower, etc... This will also add a whole new dimension to the game since you could endlessly mess with different builds/settings for your character...

Take the stats off em and move them into something else. IMO Color crystals should just be for color to add a little uniqness and diversity to your character.

I could not agree more. It would be a nice way to personalize our characters, without having to worry about stats and replacements.

The stats on the crystal are often so minimal. Why does it matter?

If you're speaking generally, it really doesn't. However, in terms of min/maxing in both PvE and PvP, if you want maximum performance out of your character, you will do whatever is necessary to reach it.

As an Artificer, this is my suggestion:

I kind of dig the whole "focus crystal separate from color crystal" setup. However, what I am not keen on is rebuying, relearning, and re-reverse-engineering a metric butt-ton of crystals for all my lower-level alts that I craft them for.

Now, that said, if the crystals somehow were tweaked to do more than just basic "endurance / critical chance" boosts, then I'm definitely for it. If the colors Artificers get to make now are more varied - say, they get to make Blue, Cyan, Black-Blue, Black-Cyan, Purple, Pink, Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, Viridian, etc. color crystals - then that's also a good bonus, since I really wanted all my characters to have different colors of sabers / blaster bolts, and some of them just don't have any available options until either really high level, or a PvP item which has stats that are useless to a non-PvPer like me. Obviously some colors would need to stay "off-limits" for crafters, for whatever reason - Cartel Shop stuff like the White crystals, etc. But still, more basic colors earlier on are always better. Let us customize the crap out of our guys.

So, if executed really well, it could be awesome. If executed porly, it could really suck. I'm thinking, as far as Focus Crystals go, have a good mix. Endurance, Will, Strength, Aim, Cunning to cover basic stat increasers. Then, maybe a few specific crystals - Shield Chance / Absorption, Crit Chance / Surge, Power / Accuracy, etc. This way, they can pick to either stack up on a stat they're lacking in their gear, such as Endurance or Strength, or grab two "bonus stats" that their gear might also lack - like Crit Chance and Surge, or Power and Accuracy. Dual Wielders would get more of a boost, since they have two weapons and thus two crystals, but maybe that's the trade-off for being a pure DPS-spec - higher damage potential.

I don't have a head for balance, so it wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't seem popular because it's somehow overpowered for specific situations, but still - maybe a step in the right direction for a suggestion?

Edit: I should add, I'm all for color crystals being in the individual weapons, and not tied between dual wielders - I personalyl use a red saber and a blue saber, to show how my guy's more neutrally-aligned force-wise.

Edited by Calsetes

^ This.

I think that would satisfy the Artificers. Just convert all their current crystals to focus crystals and give them a generic color crystal schematic for each color they've already got available to craft. That way nobody loses their magenta schematics and such.

Once crystals become nothing but cosmetic I wonder what the prices will do. Will they go down since the market will be saturated with a ton of statless fluff items, or will some colors go up in price once the initial market bloat is handled?

The economy is another thing to consider for this reason. If all those statted magenta crystals all just became a plain cosmetic color crystal then instead of various level-appropriate crystals you now have a truck load of fluff. The prices would probably initially plummet, much to the dismay of higher level artificers who sell certain crystals for profit?

DWers wouldn't get an extra boost because they added moddable off-hand items just for that reason. I get what you're saying though.

Ah, that explains why my one character had an orange shield when I logged in since coming back last week. I thought I had gone crazy or something.

Can artificers make filled or empty offhand generators and focii? And any idea where I would find the schematics? Sorry to wander off-topic a bit, but this is news to me.

Ah, that explains why my one character had an orange shield when I logged in since coming back last week. I thought I had gone crazy or something.

Can artificers make filled or empty offhand generators and focii? And any idea where I would find the schematics? Sorry to wander off-topic a bit, but this is news to me.

I'm pretty sure they can and I'm sure there is, but I'm not 100% on that. Can't confirm in-game as I'm at work.

This would be ok if they compensated Artificers somehow. It's not cheap to level a skill up to 400 and buy all the add ins. For example, I've spent a fair number of Warzone Marks learning how to make the high end crystals. If those crystals now no longer have stats, do the Artificers get back their Warzone Marks? The Credits spent on high level schematics? Are they compensated with something else of equal value?

I think this idea has merit, but if not executed correctly, it will leave a lot of Artificers upset.

...they could convert all current crystals that drop or are sold into statless appearance crystals, and leave the ones with slots for artifice. That way there would still be a demand for those kind of crafted crystals.

In fact, this is probably the best way to do it IMO.

Have all crystals plain, no stats.

Add the ability for any player to add an augment slot.

Give artifice the ability to craft the crystal into a crystal with a mod slot.

So the crystal could have two slots...one mod, one augment.

This would be ok if they compensated Artificers somehow. It's not cheap to level a skill up to 400 and buy all the add ins. For example, I've spent a fair number of Warzone Marks learning how to make the high end crystals. If those crystals now no longer have stats, do the Artificers get back their Warzone Marks? The Credits spent on high level schematics? Are they compensated with something else of equal value?

I think this idea has merit, but if not executed correctly, it will leave a lot of Artificers upset.

That is why, I think, they're having such a difficult time deciding on what to do. They could always keep the stats on them but just get rid of the low level stuff and make all of the existing +41 crystals useable at level 10 like they did with the ones from the cartel shop. While you would lose out on the mats you used REing for the low level stuff, at least you won't lose out on the comms you spent getting the stuff at 50.

sounds like an excuse to rob raiders and pvpers of their "unique" color status and move it into the cartel market. get off your alternate accounts you bioware mark execs.

Take off your tinfoil hat good sir, your brain is melting.

People have been asking for this for years. Nothing new and makes 100% sense. The main issue is what to do with Artifice skill.

You just sound like a paranoid person. :rolleyes:

Edited by Eillack