Will they release 1.5 with current memory leak situation?

Matty-Wan

I cant imagine anything that would turn off new users more then the performance issues that cause the constant freezing and crashing that we know as "playing swtor". I implore you BW, fix the completely out of hand performance issues. If not for your current player base, then for the players you hope to garner... Edited by Matty-Wan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they will. With 1.4, my lag/FPS issues came back and PvP for me can such a f'ing pain. If 1.5 makes lag/FPS issues worse or not get any better, I can already tell you the TORtanic 2.0 will sink just like its predecessor.

:(

"SWTOR was doing just fine, until it took a Patch 1.4 to the knee."

—Urael

Edited by MOPSFounder

Perhaps the problem isn't as prevalent as we think it is. I was initially affected, but updating drivers and playing in windows mode fixed all performance issues, running on the highest settings. I have a pretty regular laptop, too, certainly not made for gaming.

I share your concern, though, if performance problems are still common. If so, maybe there is something to address them further in the 1.5 patch.

More likely, the BioWare MO to this game seems to be introduce problems first, as some are unpredictable, and fix the major ones afterwards. All others linger as is.

Edited by arunav

I think they will. With 1.4, my lag/FPS issues came back and PvP for me can such a f'ing pain. If 1.5 makes lag/FPS issues worse or not get any better, I can already tell you the TORtanic 2.0 will sink just like its predecessor.

:(

"SWTOR was doing just fine, until it took a Patch 1.4 to the knee."

—Urael

prolly yes,,the scary part, is that BW seems to be AIMING for the iceberg

this game have bled subs since launch,,i dont think ive seen ANY mmo population drop so fast

still they havent reacted to that fact in any reasonable way

Performance went to crap after the last update. I'm tired of everyone saying "it must be your computer" all the time. Let me tell you two things: if it was just my computer there wouldn't be be people complaining about it all over the forums and in game, and... BioWare is not going to give any of you a free month of gameplay or send a ****** to your house if you defend them all the time, so stop already. I don't know what you people think you owe BW/EA/LA/Disney, but I'm tired of seeing you same half dozen people going on every thread telling everyone their computer sucks. Just shut up, they screwed up the game, everyone knows it, if you think you're going to get a cookie for denying it you're wrong.

never seen anyone talk about this in game. Must be rare.

It isnt rare.

A huge % of players are concerned by the problem. Some more than others.

For some it's just a small drop in performance since 1.4, forced to play in window mode or lower graphics details.

For others it's worse, with fps going from 60 to 5 in specific zones, and/or having light glitches everywhere on the screen each time they use a saber or a blaster.

And all these with 2000€ computers which are usually running bf3 (as an example) with maxed graphics and great fluidity on multiplayer maps surrounded by 30-40+ players...

Let's just be frank and honest: their 1.4 code is c.r.a.p.

So either they correct it for 1.5 or should already prepare for hearing big laughing from new players coming to test the game with the f2p option. I really hope they have conscience of that fact that they game, as it is now, is technically in a bad shape (not talking about the content here, which is another matter)

Cause new players wont take the pain to come here posting about these bugs, they will install the game, test it, laugh, and quit. Simple as that.

Edited by Draksen

prolly yes,,the scary part, is that BW seems to be AIMING for the iceberg

this game have bled subs since launch,,i dont think ive seen ANY mmo population drop so fast

still they havent reacted to that fact in any reasonable way

age of conan lost 75% of its subs in 2 months. WAR lost 75% of it's subs after the first month.

btw why are you still playing?

I still have to play in windowed mode or the game studders so bad that it is unplayable. Even in windowed, there is still some studder, just not as bad. I also agree with what someone said about it not being computer related. 1.4 happened and suddenly this game plays terrible, but every single other game runs just fine. Yes computer parts can go bad suddenly and with bad luck it can happen at the same time an update to a game is made, but to have that happen to thousands of people at the same time that all have the exact same problem is beyond the realm of coincidence.

I am amazed at the amount of hate thrown towards BioWare complaining about game systems and I am very curious as to the number of people who really understand what is required to perform changes on this scale, understand the complexities of coding a game let alone an MMO.

I am not saying that SWTOR is perfect by any means when it comes to the performance. I am also curious about people who say they have run this game at MAX settings with no issues on a laptop that isn't designed for gaming. In all honesty I am rarely able to get SWTOR to run on MAX setting smoothly on my laptop and to me it is not a bad laptop.

I did have some performance issues when 1.4 launched. But they have no gone. I do have some other issues as well in heavily populated areas but not to what people seem to be saying. 1.4 they updated their shadows. They aren't as blocky and certainly their performance across the board is better.

But that said, I know everyones rig is different and I have yet to have any real issues on my system. It isn't able to run BF3 at max settings, but it is good enough to get SWTOR looking as good as possible. Try tweaking your graphics settings in your graphics card control panel. Play with the different in game settings to see what works. You could spend the time you have complaining about it trying to put some effort into making the game look better and perform better.

Every game engine behaves differently and to think just because one game can run at max settings without problem that another can do the same. SWTOR uses the HEROEngine and if you are curious about how the engine works, look it up. I can assure you what is required behind the scenes to get an MMO engine working with all various components is vastly different than that of the Frostbite engine.

I am looking forward to the changes in the shaders for 1.5. But it seems that this might be another area in which people might complain about the performance.

NOTE: How do you know it is a memory leak? Are you looking at the used memory and noticing it going up and up and up, and no releasing any?

I cant imagine anything that would turn off new users more then the performance issues that cause the constant freezing and crashing that we know as "playing swtor". I implore you BW, fix the completely out of hand performance issues. If not for your current player base, then for the players you hope to garner...

What freezing and crashing? I've experienced neither, personally. I just came back, but I never had problems in the past either. The only real complaint I have gameplay-wise is load screens being too long.

I cant imagine anything that would turn off new users more then the performance issues that cause the constant freezing and crashing that we know as "playing swtor". I implore you BW, fix the completely out of hand performance issues. If not for your current player base, then for the players you hope to garner...

Careful, the "my game runs fine on my pc so it must just be you" people are coming. :cool:

Careful, the "my game runs fine on my pc so it must just be you" people are coming. :cool:

See the thing is, the game DOES run fine on my computer. I don't even have a computer that is all that good. I did have this problem where it would only run on very low settings once, but I believe that was before 1.4. I restarted my computer and it was back to working just fine.

I'm not saying that Bioware shouldn't fix it, or that anyone with this problem has a ****** computer. What I'm saying is that you CAN play the game full speced just fine. Maybe there is something that your computer is doing that is interfering with TOR.

See the thing is, the game DOES run fine on my computer. I don't even have a computer that is all that good. I did have this problem where it would only run on very low settings once, but I believe that was before 1.4. I restarted my computer and it was back to working just fine.

I'm not saying that Bioware shouldn't fix it, or that anyone with this problem has a ****** computer. What I'm saying is that you CAN play the game full speced just fine. Maybe there is something that your computer is doing that is interfering with TOR.

Well, after 1.4 I started having stuttering issues and even computer freezes requiring reboots...since then I have found that playing in windowed mode and AA off has seemed to fix my problems I guess. I have a decent pc too, i7 2600, 8g ram, gtx 580...drivers up to date. It's just one of those things. Like I said though I can play the game still, that's all that matters to me even if it's not playing optimally. I don't see any problems with my hardware, other games play just fine. Memory leak is definitely real, I open up task manager and see the memory usage soar while playing.

Edited by Darth-Rammstein

95% of the issues experienced from 1.1 to the current iteration of SWTOR have not affected me. I think there is a very vocal majority that likes to hype up most of the issues in this game and the majority aren't even regular users of this forum, but instead actually play the game.

The game is at n means unplayable to me, but it can't be my PC alone (although it certainly contributes - who in his right mind tries to play on a laptop?) because whenever I group with guildmates, we have many lag spikes at the same time, most notably in Kaon and PvP, since 1.4. And we all play on different machines, with different settings, and it's hard to believe ALL of them are so sub-par as to be the cause of the lag.

"We continue after the advertisment..." has become a staple in teamspeak.

So: Yes, an improvement would be nice.

The game is at n means unplayable to me, but it can't be my PC alone (although it certainly contributes - who in his right mind tries to play on a laptop?) because whenever I group with guildmates, we have many lag spikes at the same time, most notably in Kaon and PvP, since 1.4. And we all play on different machines, with different settings, and it's hard to believe ALL of them are so sub-par as to be the cause of the lag.

However, one issue directly arises with a statement such as that.

What are we talking about?

And personally I believe when reading the majority of these topics, most people have no clue what they're talking about beyond the point of recognizing that there is some form of performance issue in one way or another.

For example in your experience and guild mates, what sort of lag are we talking about?

My bet is you're experiencing server side lag, where for a brief period of time animations finish up, but no movement or new actions may be performed. Occasionaly during such a brief hickup the game goes completely still, but you may notice a 3rd party FPS counter to remain having a solid FPS. This sort of lag tends to primarily be a server side issue, or connection to such. Something which has been around prior to 1.4 as well for that matter, although I must say that during the last month or so my guild hasn't experienced these anymore on TRE.

Whereas others are referring to constant stuttering, such as one of the videos posted earlier. Although people tend to cry this is not a hardware related thing because they can play another game fine.... it frequently is a hardware related issue. Many of them tend to have setups which may still function well for e.g. FPS games, but for the typical MMO are out of balance. Differences in setup are key.

In FPS games priority can pretty much be defined as:

GPU > CPU > RAM

Whilst for MMO's the order of preferences is pretty much vice versa:

RAM > CPU > GPU

In particular for crowded scenarios such as the fleet, 2GB is definitely not going to cut it, and 4GB is very limited as well if you have other applications open. So instead windows is going to use your harddrive as temp memory, which is slow and cumbersome, in particular if you're not using SSD's. This causes major FPS drops within the crowded MMO cities, such as the fleet.

Additionally CPU recieves more strain in MMO's as they are developed for ancient devices, since otherwise the community is in an outcry. Therefore it uses DX9, with hardly any multi-core abilities. So you may have as many cores as you desire, however SWTOR is greatly limited in what it can use. So the result, people are complaining their 8x 2.4 Ghz fails at running this fluently. Whilst forgetting SWTOR may effectively only use 25% of such a CPU, whilst BF3 is much more inclined to use e.g. 60% if needed. This makes it so that even high-end machines, may negatively be affected. Compared to what they're used, even moreso than more outdated machines.

Is this a client issue? Yes it is, but it is not one which may be resolved without negatively affecting a lot of players, or by introducing the cumbersome need to support a multitude of rendering engines.

And then there's the occasional stutters, a lot of which frequently nails down to HDD issues, driver issues or conflicts. Frequently, this is a player-side issue. E.g. a HDD in the process of dying, where the game is hitching over a few files on bad sectors. Or outdated drivers (GPU, directx, sound, chipset) which may not affect all titles but a few you're playing.

I haven't noticed anything but that isn't to say some people aren't. I would assume if they know about it they are working on it, may even be why they held 1.5 back a week even after it was done and tested.

Also I have noticed whenever they forego a weekly maintenance the game gets twonky. Almost like a droid who hasn't had a memory wipe in a while :D

Patch 1.6 Rise of the Server Farms? :D

I can't say about the PvP, but I have noticed certain parts of Koan doing this and they said they are aware of it and working on it. So 1.5 *crosses fingers*. Though the Koan lag spike is literally only like 1.5 seconds for me.