Anyone test SWTOR yet on one of the new Ryzen Processors?

ZionHalcyon

It doesn't make sense to use the word actually in your statement when your statement is not actually actual. you made your statement as though it were the definitive truth yet you provide no sources. The truth is the benchmarks are very much back and forth depending on the game, the optimizations, and which version of bios was used for testing the AMD chips. It also doesn't make sense to make a blanket statement when referring to Performance because there are several different chips at different price points.

Intel has people everywhere...

It doesn't make sense to use the word actually in your statement when your statement is not actually actual. you made your statement as though it were the definitive truth yet you provide no sources. The truth is the benchmarks are very much back and forth depending on the game, the optimizations, and which version of bios was used for testing the AMD chips. It also doesn't make sense to make a blanket statement when referring to Performance because there are several different chips at different price points.

here you go look at the gaming benchmarks

The AMD cards released alongside Ryzen 3000 series are pcie 4.0... 5700 and 5700xt

They aren’t “true” PCIe 4.0 yet.

Ie, they have PCIe 4.0 connection, but the infrastructure is still optimised for 3.0 because that’s what most people will have for a few years yet. Using it on a 3.0 or 4.0 motherboard won’t affect the GPU performance.

In about 18 months when you finally have Intel on 4.0, you will see a lot more optimised GPUs for 4.0. Which means if you don’t have a 4.0 motherboard, you will essentially be gimping the cards through put performance.

here you go look at the gaming benchmarks

LOL. Are you serious? LOL. His video is your reason for making blanket statements as though they are absolute facts? You're not helping your case. I stand by my statement. There are a number of factors that go into benchmarking and you should never make blanket statements when you're talking about comparing entire ranges of products. the reason I laughed and asked if you were serious is because the one source you provided in rebuttal just happens to be the one guy who was in such a rush to get his benchmarks out that he admitted to frying one of the AMD chips because he couldn't be bothered to pay attention to what was going on.

Upgraded to an NVME for my boot drive, kept the 4tb hdd and kept the 1080 ti gpu. Ram went from 2400mhz ddr3 to 3200mhz ddr4, couldn't keep that old ram.

My upgrade may come sooner than I want it to. Last week I started having unexpected shut downs and last night I had the weirdest thing I’ve ever had happen in swtor.

I was playing as usual and then the game froze. Ok, no biggy.

But when I did the PC restart, it booted slow and when I went into swtor, it was like I’d just installed it and it played the logo, credits, cut scenes (or would have if I’d not hit escape). Then in the game, my task bars were back at default, my mouse was screwy and all my preferences were back to default, including sound. All except keybinds. It was so bizarre.

Now that may just be the game, but it could also be Windows or some piece of hardware that caused memory error or hard drive fault. I did have combat recording on in preferences, so I guess that could have caused a glitch on the SSD.

I’ll give it a week and see if anything else weird happens on the PC. If so, I’ll have to start troubleshooting everything. Fingers crossed it’s not hardware because I’ve a 5770k and Intels insistence on changing sockets all the time makes replacing things difficult at times. ie, Motherboards or CPUs.

That is one thing I’ve always liked about AMD, they’ve mostly tried to find a sock and stick with it through multiple CPU generations. Intel change theirs every time. So that’s another + for an AMD upgrade if you need a new system.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

my upgrade may come sooner than i want it to. Last week i started having unexpected shut downs and last night i had the weirdest thing i’ve ever had happen in swtor.

But when i did the pc restart, it booted slow and when i went into swtor, it was like i’d just installed it and it played the logo, credits, cut scenes (or would have if i’d not hit escape). Then in the game, my task bars were back at default, my mouse was screwy and all my preferences were back to default, including sound. All except keybinds. It was so bizarre.

Now that may just be the game, but it could also be windows or some piece of hardware that caused memory error or hard drive fault. I did have combat recording on in preferences, so i guess that could have caused a glitch on the ssd.

I’ll give it a week and see if anything else weird happens on the pc. If so, i’ll have to start troubleshooting everything. Fingers crossed it’s not hardware because i’ve a 5770k and intels insistence on changing sockets all the time makes replacing things difficult at times. Ie, motherboards or cpus.

That is one thing i’ve always liked about amd, they’ve mostly tried to find a sock and stick with it through multiple cpu generations. Intel change theirs every time. So that’s another + for an amd upgrade if you need a new system.

ouch. :(

My upgrade may come sooner than I want it to. Last week I started having unexpected shut downs and last night I had the weirdest thing I’ve ever had happen in swtor.

But when I did the PC restart, it booted slow and when I went into swtor, it was like I’d just installed it and it played the logo, credits, cut scenes (or would have if I’d not hit escape). Then in the game, my task bars were back at default, my mouse was screwy and all my preferences were back to default, including sound. All except keybinds. It was so bizarre.

Now that may just be the game, but it could also be Windows or some piece of hardware that caused memory error or hard drive fault. I did have combat recording on in preferences, so I guess that could have caused a glitch on the SSD.

I’ll give it a week and see if anything else weird happens on the PC. If so, I’ll have to start troubleshooting everything. Fingers crossed it’s not hardware because I’ve a 5770k and Intels insistence on changing sockets all the time makes replacing things difficult at times. ie, Motherboards or CPUs.

That is one thing I’ve always liked about AMD, they’ve mostly tried to find a sock and stick with it through multiple CPU generations. Intel change theirs every time. So that’s another + for an AMD upgrade if you need a new system.

Weird. That almost sounds like your Windows refreshed itself. There's a lot of files that can do what you describe once they're deleted: Windows Key + R and paste: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings. I think your UI settings (scale, quickbars) are located in your documents folder...? Can't remember offhand.

It sounds like something got overheated and flaked out. Clean the dust out of the machine and make sure all fans are working properly.

Of course, something may now be just permanently flakey.

Weird. That almost sounds like your Windows refreshed itself. There's a lot of files that can do what you describe once they're deleted: Windows Key + R and paste: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings. I think your UI settings (scale, quickbars) are located in your documents folder...? Can't remember offhand.

Yeah, I always back them up. And they were still there.

It sounds like something got overheated and flaked out. Clean the dust out of the machine and make sure all fans are working properly.

Of course, something may now be just permanently flakey.

Whole system is always clean and is water cooled. It’s definitely not an overheating issue.

• 4 months later...