Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

While I like this kind of combat, I don't think it belongs in this game. The current missions are good because they have a specific duration.

I know you answered this in your OP but I think you are mistaken. It will deflate the player count in the game. IE more players will be up in space and therefore the planets would be less populated. I have no problem regarding people spending their payed subscription time to do what they want. However, it does become a problem when what they want factors into what other players DON'T want.

Player counts on each planet are incredibly low even now. If space combat is made more like this then more players will gravitate to it and that will cause populations on the ground to even further dwindle. Planets that have 10-20 players on them on average would turn into 5-12 players. The point of an MMO is to be with other people. But by making too many areas for people to explore you cause the density of players to fall dramatically.

I'd be all for an improved space combat like this if it didn't have an impact on player numbers, but that is just too big a factor, imo, to make improving space combat like this worth while.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did my first space combat missions last night, and while they were fun at first because it was something different, it left a lot to be desired. I really hope that the "tube" model is simply a taste of more to come, as there is so much potential in a 3-axis space combat model in both PvE and PvP. Edited by Darronis

There certainly is space to do something new, but yeah they risk requiring alot of computer power to play anything that build another engine into.

The current works well i enjoy it, enough as most people do, there could be more missions more change more differences etc.

I do feel like i should mention the best time i have had playing a starwars flight sim, was the "Battle for endor" Freeware floating around on the internet.

Its mostly boxes, But it does what it does and does it well.

Something like that with updated models would be awesome but it would also take away from ground mmo a lot.

Right now i have little intention of leaving my ship to do anything else if i can do daily missions + sending my companions to the salt mines, it will encourage people just to play that for the entire session and never enter an instance.

Right now it isn't a great idea, Communitys are still being built on my server its still hard to get groups together to do anything 40+

We don't want to take more people away from that.

I do think however once a lfg system not the one in wow..

Has been setup that this should be the next kind of goal not taking away from content updates but something they can surprise us with a few patches down the road.

Good to see this post again. Still saddens me when I think about "what could have been", don't get me wrong I think SWTOR is a pretty decent game but still so much potential. For as long as they've been working on this game I wonder what happened when they decided to put what we have in the game.. In the game.

While I like this kind of combat, I don't think it belongs in this game. The current missions are good because they have a specific duration.

Player counts on each planet are incredibly low even now. If space combat is made more like this then more players will gravitate to it and that will cause populations on the ground to even further dwindle. Planets that have 10-20 players on them on average would turn into 5-12 players. The point of an MMO is to be with other people. But by making too many areas for people to explore you cause the density of players to fall dramatically.

I'd be all for an improved space combat like this if it didn't have an impact on player numbers, but that is just too big a factor, imo, to make improving space combat like this worth while.

I understand that concern. One of the main reasons there are so few players per planet is because Bioware decided to seperate the playerbase into shards so that there arent a ton of people doing the same quests at all times or logging down an area... While i love this game i think that segregating the population into seperate instances was a horrid idea. Hopefully they will do away with the planetary and fleet shards and we can all actually play together.

Thanks for the kudos guys and girls. Lets hope that after they fix the bugs and add some more endgame content they take another look into improving space content.

One of the main reasons there are so few players per planet is because Bioware decided to seperate the playerbase into shards

I play on one of the most heavily populated servers and almost never see shards.

I have no personal opposition to the kind of space combat you want, on the single caveat that its development doesn't cut into the development of the actual game.

Didn't Bioware state that there will be some major changes for space?

Edit:

Quote from "What's next for the Old Republic"

- Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

Edited by Oobro

Completely agree with all of this... Space combat and starships are such a crucial part of the SW universe... you just have to look at the most relevant fights in the movies (Deathstar Battle, Endor Battle, Coruscant Battle) all of them took place in space!

WE've gotten a ship, with gear and everything as part of our character! now the only thing it needs is some further expansion! go for it BW.

PS: really the fact that there are less players on each planet is not THAT dramatic, just think that in SWTOR planets are like the different zones in other MMO's, and in most of them u woudnt see too many people either. (did u ever meet some1 in Swamp of sorrows?(WoW) I didnt ^^).

It's silly to imagine that Tie Fighter the Star Wars Simulation game from the mid 1990's was and still is the pinnacle of space combat simulation and was only a 24 megabyte game.

Well, X-wing and TIE Fighter. But I agree, And I am surprised those games weren't listed at the end of his post with the other 3d games.

Not to mention:

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter

X-Wing Alliance

Freespace

Freespace 2

+ the modding community Total Conversions for Freespace 2. They have made some pretty amazing conversions for that games engine.

Oh, btw. I agree with the OP.

• 5 weeks later...

I personally refer to it as Free Flight. But you missed out completely on some very very very important starwars games that came out a couple decades ago well before our computers were giant gaming machines (actually somebody did mention them). Tie Fighter and X-Wing were flight simulator type games that had dog fights as well as battles against Corellian Corvettes and Star Destroyers. You had to balance your shield power, full frontal, balanced front and rear and rear. You needed to keep energy balanced as well between the engines and blasters as well. When approaching your target(s) you needed to shift shields to full front, pull power from engines into blasters so you could take out the enemy while surviving. Once you pass them you had to reverse shields to rear, and if no other targets required to shoot change back from blasters into engines so you could speed away for another pass.

Another thing these two games did differently is the amount of laser fire coming at you. Evasive maneuvers were mandatory as there were literally hundreds of shots coming at you. But also you weren't alone, you had the rest of your wingmen with you in the battle. They took casualties just like the enemy. In the space battles here it certainly feels you are alone and the enemy has a pisspoor targeting ability as you dont take nearly as much damage in each of the runs. There is next to no way to die IMO in this 'Tube' space battle (or what ever it is) short of crashing into asteroids. Even suicide missions are out of the question, but werent in Tie Fighter and X-Wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_TIE_Fighter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing

I even played Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe on one of my oringinal 486dx machines. X-wing and Tie Fighter were barely playable on our schools tandy 1000 hx/ex machines but we did it. Not to mention that Freelancer mentioned has been out awhile as well when our computers were half the power they are today, so we know it is entirely possible for this to be done. Just need to have the will to provide it eventually. I personally havent experienced many of the bugs people complain about in game. It feels quite well made to me but maybe I have my computer much more well built and in tip top shape for a 5 year old hunk of junk.

Edited by ryuoki
Found a post refering to what I did. Minor acknowlegement.

(did u ever meet some1 in Swamp of sorrows?(WoW) I didnt ^^).

I did. But more of it was pvp related or the other faction.

People complaining that this is an MMO should take in account that in ALL of the StarWars movies no single pilot did the job by themselves but had a squadron. They could leave the current space missions for those flying solo while having other space operations that require a group.

Wow, you put the words from my mouth onto the forums better than I could ever had. I'd personally love if they made a 3D space shooter, and kept the current space version as the mini-game it is. The rail shooter allows NO progression whatsoever, and while a break from ground missions, doesnt give me any reason to keep me with the game

As soon as some says something good about JTL I know to ignore the rest of what they say. The only good thing about JTL was not waiting for shuttles anymore. I'm sorry, rose colored glasses or what JTL was so mind numbingly dumb I can't have any respect for the opinions of people who enjoyed it.