Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

in the end, companions were released with hetero romances, which without indication of them being interested in women at all in-game before them being chosen for S/S romance, makes them "straight with an exception/If it's you, it's okay". I would rather they keep them that way, only for O/S romance.

In other words: You don't want to share your toys.

I played through five of the class-stories, and you have to be willfully blind to not see the subtext to the behaviour of some characters. Kaliyo and Talos for example.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no indication, so I assume they be straight (exception those who actually have indication of being bi/straight up say they have been with women before).

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate you not trying to state that they "definitely aren't gay" like its a fact. I disagree with you and hope mightily that if they ever do decide to add SGRA content that they do so with the existing companions. ;)

in the end, companions were released with hetero romances, which without indication of them being interested in women at all in-game before them being chosen for S/S romance, makes them "straight with an exception/If it's you, it's okay". I would rather they keep them that way, only for O/S romance.

do I really have to repeat it .again.?

the only reason you assume them to be straight is because you currently have no option to find out otherwise.

and I already told you that I do not want to put a spoiler for you, but one of the companions you named earlier IS indeed not straight. it is mentioned in-game. (and with several other companions their questlines are at least 'questionable')

it won't be a 'straight with an exception' deal at all. in fact, how do you not know that they aren't gay with an exception? I've never seen Corso flirt with any woman beside my smuggler. he sure 'jokes around' with the guys, though (up to a certain point anyway, as soon as they start flirting with the female smuggler he becomes the jealous male :rolleyes: ... and btw, I don't remember him ever mentioning any previous relationships, so he might actually really be the 'innocent boy' from the country, who is just now 'finding himself', including being sexual )

Edited by amnie

Using Kira as an example, there's no indication she likes men (in my game).

Psst.

There's a canon one in the Jedi Knight class quest story.

Well I wouldn't know. My JK has been level 14 for the last 10 months waiting on SGRA's. If you mean the companion you get, I don't think he is a JK. :D If you mean someone else, well maybe one pureblood sith out of the entire galaxy, okay sure. But when I go to the Jedi temple and see half a dozen of them wandering around it is ridiculous.

no indication, so I assume they be straight (exception those who actually have indication of being bi/straight up say they have been with women before).

Well, we get limited interaction with the Companions to begin with, so it's a bit silly to even make the assumption they're straight.

We don't get to see them when they're off camera, so to speak - like if you don't take that companion with you (lets face it, some companions are less useful than others) and leave them on the ship all the time. Then you only interact with them during their individual stories, and that's what like... two or three times per chapter at most?

And even when you do have them with you, they react to the conversations you're having and the missions you're doing.

There's no indication EITHER way, imho.

Well I wouldn't know. My JK has been level 14 for the last 10 months waiting on SGRA's. If you mean the companion you get, I don't think he is a JK. :D If you mean someone else, well maybe one pureblood sith out of the entire galaxy, okay sure. But when I go to the Jedi temple and see half a dozen of them wandering around it is ridiculous.

I mean someone else, yes. As for those dozens wandering around, I mentally edit them out in the same way that I don't consider the class stories to actually be canon - if they are then, using the Jedi Consular as an example, there are a HEAPload of barsen'thors out there who are all the only one left who can wield that funky shielding power.

Right, but it's a 'thing' too (like, a deal is made out of it) b/c it's so uncommon whereas the JK Sith pureblood is treated the same as any other Jedi (which is odd to me).

Oh, I get that.

But 'uncommon' doesn't mean 'ridiculous'. All I'm saying is there's precedence.

My take is that there are some companions that are pretty well defined as being straight in some conversation options. Of course without an appropriate gendered person for them to open up to about it you won't encounter that dialog and therefore it is questionable what their sexuality is. From a purely speculative front I can say Corso at the very least has a "gay for you" kinda vibe as written so making him Bi would make sense. Some characters do reference other escapades or even have them whilst you ignore them defining that they are in fact interested in a specific gender though not necessarily disinterested in the other. Kira seems to me to be more interested in tweaking the orders nose about the whole no attachment thing than any specific gender though I hope for all the lesbians sake they don't make her swing that way as no one deserves that obnoxious lost puppy thing male female gay or straight.

Risha and Akavi both firmly indicate with the right dialog choices that they are not into women. I think Akavi gets downright violent over the suggestion. This isn't just the shooting down a three way either.

Kaliyo talks about hooking up with men and women so would make perfect sense to just open up as a Bi option. On the other hand also really obnoxious so same boat as corso and kira.

I think theran denies being into dudes at one point but could be a case of the laddy doth protest to much, unhealthy fixation on his holo AI thing aside.

Edited by angrydurf

Seriously? You think Kira's obnoxious?

Can't stand her. Way too much "I'm a rebelous rebel who rebels!"

And give her background that makes even less sense to me. I'd think she'd want to hew as close to the code as possible. Though i guess they try and explain it away with the whole "I have been tested and know I can withstand the darkside" thing but I don't like it.

Also she is in the way of the OTP robosexual love with T7

I have a question....I keep seeing people say that Dev's have said the SGR material would only be with new companions and not existing ones. Then someone always says that they never said that. Oddly, I kind of *do* remember hearing that somewhere, but I don't recall where. It could be that it was someone's assumption based on what they have said, but I'm not sure now where it would have come from. Anyone know where this comes from? Edited by chuixupu

I have a question....I keep seeing people say that Dev's have said the SGR material would only be with new companions and not existing ones. Then someone always says that they never said that. Oddly, I kind of *do* remember hearing that somewhere, but I don't recall where. It could be that it was someone's assumption based on what they have said, but I'm not sure now where it would have come from. Anyone know where this comes from?

Have not heard such from an official source myself, and will be terribly disappointed if it were indeed the case.

I have a question....I keep seeing people say that Dev's have said the SGR material would only be with new companions and not existing ones. Then someone always says that they never said that. Oddly, I kind of *do* remember hearing that somewhere, but I don't recall where. It could be that it was someone's assumption based on what they have said, but I'm not sure now where it would have come from. Anyone know where this comes from?

There are only 2 official statements to my knowledge that have ever been made about SGRA. First was pre-launch when they said "this will be a post launch feature" and the other was at guild summit. Neither said anything about any possibilities of how they would implement this. So the answer is, no one knows that they are going to do.

Well there's this:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Which seems to point towards "new companions" but then there's this:

When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)...

Which points towards "existing companions"

So...Idunno.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Well there's this:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

Which seems to point towards "new companions" but then there's this:

When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)...

Which points towards "existing companions"

So...Idunno.

The second quote could just as well be about additional companions that either didn't make it, or are part of a future story update that was already written. The story guys were supposed to have a very large lead that would make it into the game at some point.

It's all worded carefully so that they don't have to indicate either - thus one of many reasons this thread exists in the first place. nobody knows anything for sure because BW:A aren't telling us even simple details like 'They'll be all new companions,' 'They'll be existing companions,' or 'Both'.