Is reporting rude behavior even worth it?

Radzkie

I am not sure if reporting rude behavior in general chat is worth it. I've been playing this game for a year now, and have yet to report anyone for it, since I generally ignore rude people and try not to get involved in any "fights" I see in the game. So I'd like to get any of the communities opinions that I can get on the subject. Even if it's just one person.

The reason I ask is because I recently got attacked. For anyone who cares to know more detail:

In general chat, I said that the rumor about "green item drops from Makeb replacing dread guard gear" was stupid. I shouldn't of used the word stupid, but I did. My mistake as I soon found out.

I then got attacked by a player with an endless amount of insults like "WoW-kiddie douche bag", "autistic", "asperger tears baby" , on and on mixed in with why he thought I was wrong. I didn't fight back...I simply explained where I got my opinion from but the insults kept on coming.

Of course I ignored this user.

Edited by Radzkie

It seems to depend on the server you are on (I know it shouldn't) but I have found servers with lower population get away with less, whereas the Prophecy of the 5... wow, im amazed at the stuff I've seen in general chat that goes unpunished.

I am not sure if reporting rude behavior in general chat is worth it. I've been playing this game for a year now, and have yet to report anyone for it, since I generally ignore rude people and try not to get involved in any "fights" I see in the game. So I'd like to get any of the communities opinions that I can get on the subject. Even if it's just one person.

The reason I ask is because I recently got attacked. For anyone who cares to know more detail:

In general chat, I said that the rumor about "green item drops from Makeb replacing dread guard gear" was stupid. I shouldn't of used the word stupid, but I did. My mistake as I soon found out.

I then got attacked by a player with an endless amount of insults like "WoW-kiddie douche bag", "autistic", "asperger tears baby" , on and on mixed in with why he thought I was wrong. I didn't fight back...I simply explained where I got my opinion from but the insults kept on coming.

Reporting this type of behavior is the only way there will ever be a hope of a decrease in it. The reason is because I'm pretty sure Bioware doesn't police chat. If enough of these people are slapped with suspensions, or even permabans for repeat offenses, then maybe they will learn that there actually ARE consequences for behaving like anonymous beastly savages.

Even if little Jimmy is allowed to spout off at his mother with that mouth (in this day and age, it's entirely possible) he shouldn't get away with it in public. Yes....for all of you out there who embrace an entitlement mentality, PUBLIC INCLUDES THE INTERNET.

Change can happen if people who CARE about decency PUSH BACK.

I recieved a warning not that long as ago so someone is obviously looking at it. Not sure how much they are looking into it though because as far as I could remember I had never said anything offensive to anyone with the exception of a borderline comment in a warzone. I basically told my team mates to get their stuff together, I didn't curse and I didnt direct it toward an individual person. Now, I believe a premade was on the recieving end of my comment and that they all reported me and perhaps also told their guildies to do so. Such a BS move.

Personally I think that warzones should be a safe haven. You should be able to take out your frustration and tell other people to man-up. There should obviously be some restrictions, such as threats and racial slurs, but that's about it.

As for the fleet and planets, I have pretty low tolerance for BS in general chat. I'm not reporting people for it but I just don't see any reason for arguing there.

Edited by Washingtoon

I agree, reporting such behaviour is the only way. Also, ignoring rude players (node thieves, security chest thieves etc.) has proven really valuable to me. I just hope, the ignore list has no limit... :)

Cheers, Niko

From what I understand, the ignore feature DOES have a limit....not sure what that limit is, however I have heard many people say they have maxed the thing out without having to try too hard.

maxed the thing out without having to try too hard.

Hehehe... Yeah, there really ARE a lot of people behaving ignore-worthy out there. Oh well, as I think that putting a (low) limit on such a vital feature can only be done by mistake, I'll start sending bug reports about the limit once I reach it - on a daily basis. :cool:

Edited by dermitni

I reported a player yesterday for advertising he could make Dread Gaurd level mods. I should've checked his schematics but I didn't. Well I traded the mats and 20k for tip (because he didn't ask, so I gave him something). He began to ride away on his speeder and I whisper him, "Where you going?". He put me on ignore and took my mats.

I switched to another character and asked him kindly for my mats. He said he doesn't know what I was talking about. I told him was going to have his account banned and he replied give me 25k and I'll give them back. I reported him and haven't heard anything.

If you see a guy by the name of Lordxrevn or any variation on either side, buyer beware.

I only really started using the ignore function since F2P started. General chat standards have plummeted. I've got a stack of names now added to my ignore list. True there are some awful F2P's but my issue are with the players who burn them because they dare to ask a question in general chat (yes, the questions may seem stupid but hey nobody became an expert playing this on day one!). I saw a question in general chat "How do I make my companion reappear?" within seconds the abuse started, not just off a single player but four or five people started abusing the question for no apparent reason at all. References to his mother, racist, vulgar, gender related.... within 1 minute most of the subjects were covered! If I had been on the end of that I would probably have logged. I whispered the player to answer his question but before I finished typing he had logged (I cant say I'm surprised). So I scrolled back through the chat log and reported the players that were so obnoxious. I don't know if the report function even works, I do get an automated message to say it's being actioned but that's the last I hear about it.

I only really started using the ignore function since F2P started. General chat standards have plummeted. I've got a stack of names now added to my ignore list. True there are some awful F2P's but my issue are with the players who burn them because they dare to ask a question in general chat (yes, the questions may seem stupid but hey nobody became an expert playing this on day one!). I saw a question in general chat "How do I make my companion reappear?" within seconds the abuse started, not just off a single player but four or five people started abusing the question for no apparent reason at all. References to his mother, racist, vulgar, gender related.... within 1 minute most of the subjects were covered! If I had been on the end of that I would probably have logged. I whispered the player to answer his question but before I finished typing he had logged (I cant say I'm surprised). So I scrolled back through the chat log and reported the players that were so obnoxious. I don't know if the report function even works, I do get an automated message to say it's being actioned but that's the last I hear about it.

The numbers of undesirables have increased only because the population overall has increased. It is not a F2P thing. Many of the worst people that I encounter I subscribers.

The only way to hopefully get general chat better is to report certain people that go above and beyond what is acceptable behaviour and contary to what some think there are rules that everyone agreed to before they get to play.

You can use the excuse well not everyone reads it but that doesn't matter you agree to it when you began to play. Saying well I didn't know or I didn't read it is a excuse, cope out. There are reasons for the rules and everyone agreed to abide by them.

I will report those that have stepped out of line, racial slurs, sexual comments, etc. Those should never be tolerated.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

The numbers of undesirables have increased only because the population overall has increased. It is not a F2P thing. Many of the worst people that I encounter I subscribers.

Yeah I agree mate. I was trying to say that the new players seem to be getting the majority of the abuse from the long term players.

The only way to hopefully get general chat better is to report certain people that go above and beyond what is acceptable behaviour and contary to what some think there are rules that everyone agreed to before they get to play.

You can use the excuse well not everyone reads it but that doesn't matter you agree to it when you began to play. Saying well I didn't know or I didn't read it is a excuse, cope out. There are reasons for the rules and everyone agreed to abide by them.

I will report those that have stepped out of line, racial slurs, sexual comments, etc. Those should never be tolerated.

QFT! Report away! Although I have to say, I am rarely paying that much attention to general chat as I'm usually fighting or listening to a cut scene convo. Still a new player, here. But if they respond to reports of rude, unacceptable behavior, then it is our responsibility to report people who break the rules. Assuming they do respond to reports.

• 1 month later...
Here's what I think is best in regards to this problem. Add such people to your ignore list while you are playing. Then remove them from the list one you are done playing. That way the ignore limit can never fill up. Personally though I think that these chat channels should be policed so that the company can deal with these individuals directly and get to the bottom of the problem as to why these people choose to be rude. Of course this is just a suggestion.

I mentioned it before somewhere, but I would love if more games took Riot's approach to it. It's a rather forward thinking approach to reports/suspensions/bans. The more a player is reported the more likely they are to appear in the Tribunal. The Tribunal is basically any number of players who meet certain criteria that voluntarily view why the person was reported and chose to either Pardon the case for not enough to Punish on, Punish the case for clear guilt, or skip the case due to not being sure one way other the other. If the majority of players deem the actions to merit a punishment then the player is suspended in increasing increments of time up until 1 week/2week suspension. After that, if the player hasn't changed their ways they get the ban hammer.

Internet based games in general have slid down as far as standards and who better to judge than the players who are subjected to the nonsense? A lot of people criticize the whole setup and it probably does have it's flaws, but it is quick and it is efficient. Players that feel they have been wrongly suspended are able to make a case for themselves and attempt to have it lifted. Players who are banned don't get such a luxury. If you've been suspended that many times, you're doing something wrong.

Edited by iEuthanasia
Phrasing

It's about 50/50. I've had people just go off and be quite rude both in game and on the forums and the results have been mixed. I get a response to every one, and as usual, they don't share if or what action was taken. But then I see some the next day or two, going off like it never happened.

Character names too. I had one that constituted a very disgusting sexual proclivity, but it must be a regional vernacular, since he is still has that name. I still have him on my ignore list and I removed and added him to the friend list and back to ignore, so he still has that name and it's been over a month.

Meh...

Well, reporting is totally useless ... unless someone is spaming...

If he calls you names your only option is ignore...but from what ive seen... noone who got reported has ever even got a warning....

also.. if he calls you asperger or WoW kiddie... why you wet your pants?

ignore and go on....

I reported a player yesterday for advertising he could make Dread Gaurd level mods. I should've checked his schematics but I didn't. Well I traded the mats and 20k for tip (because he didn't ask, so I gave him something). He began to ride away on his speeder and I whisper him, "Where you going?". He put me on ignore and took my mats.

I switched to another character and asked him kindly for my mats. He said he doesn't know what I was talking about. I told him was going to have his account banned and he replied give me 25k and I'll give them back. I reported him and haven't heard anything.

If you see a guy by the name of Lordxrevn or any variation on either side, buyer beware.

it not forbidden.. if he decides to be a thief its part of game....

you cant report people because they accept items that YOU trade them :D

Edited by Prysha

Was that on Red Eclipse server? I've met one chap with the same style of communication.

Nope. I'm sure there's a lot of people like him though.

Well, reporting is totally useless ... unless someone is spaming...

also.. if he calls you asperger or WoW kiddie... why you wet your pants?

I found out that reporting is not useless. :)

"Wet my pants"? Um...wat?

I respectfully replied to him and kept my cool the entire time.

To everyone else: Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Radzkie