[Power pools]: why do we switch them?

Snotrq

Hi there, I got a simple question, and haven't find any answer yet.

What do power switch actually do?

I saw it increases the regen of ressource, and stack the shield better for example. But what else, do I travel faster when in travel stance & does it affect the post-combustion cost? Do I shoot harder in blaster stance, and does it affect the shot cost. Things like that.

Thanks by advance for anyone who got precisions (maths at best, but I presume GSF is too young for it) on this. It would help to know what the power pools are exactly doing, assuming we must sacrifice something else to upgrade it.

Edited by Snotrq

You deal more damage when routing energy to the weapons, shields "overcharge" a bit, and I guess it also speeds you up a notch although I'm not sure about that.

power to engines increases your engine pool for boosting. Anytime i'm not firing, i'm diverting power to engines. I rarely ever use F2, and like Tux said, never use F4

Edited by Vember

You deal more damage when routing energy to the weapons, shields "overcharge" a bit, and I guess it also speeds you up a notch although I'm not sure about that.

It's a little more complex than that.....

F1 -> Boosts Regen rate of weapon power pool / decreases shields slightly (Yellow/green) / Slows regen rate of engine power pool

F2 -> Boosts Sheilds (Blue/Green) / decreases regen rates of BOTH Weapon and Engine Power Pools

F3 -> Boosts regen rate of Engine Power pool / decreases shields (yellow/green) / decreases regen rate of weapon power pool

F4 -> [default setting] Normal shields (Green /Green) / Normal regen rates of weapons and engine power pools.

F4 isn't a bad setting......especially in a scout on the way in..... a barrel roll and engine power boost will get you all the way there....without sapping shields.

It affects the regen rate of your various pools. If you have Power to Blasters active, for example, your blaster pool regen rate is faster than normal while your other two pools regen at a slower rate.

If I am attacking, I'm using F1, if I am taking damage or evading to regroup I go to F2 and if I am boosting from one node to the next I am in F3. If I'm in F4, I have hit the wrong button.

Routing power to weapons increases their power slightly and buffs their recharge rate and nerfs recharge rate of other two.

Routing power to shields gives you more survivability and buffs their recharge rate nerfs recharge rate of other two.

Routing power to engines increases your speed slightly and buffs their recharge rate nerfs recharge rate of other two.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

Okay, thanks for your replies

Geezus...USE THEM!

I do ! I wanted to be sure of its effects before investing into it as an upgrade. But wasn't sure if I was actually dealing more damage in weapon stance. I was only sure about what Oteefo said, aka the regen downsides.

I'm still not sure tho. I do feel Laurreth is right (because why the shield stance would benefit the shield if the blaster one don't increase their damage/ even more logic for the motor pool), and I feel dealing more damage in blaster stance. But maybe it's placebo? Again I'm only sure about the regen & shield effects.

It kind of have to augmente damage along with regen, as it wouldn't make much sense if blaster shots weren't actually benefiting from the weapon power upgrading. Still, ain't sure of it.

Another question I had is mind is, if I upgrade my blaster power pool. Do I benefit from it when I switch other stances? Even something <33%. Can't say

I see lots of claims that it boosts weapon damage or speed when power goes to weapons/engines.

I haven't seen evidence of this. Only that switching power boosts regen rates, while reducing regen to the other two.

In the case fo shields, putting power to them makes the outer ring blue - presumably more powerful than green. I think people may be saying it boosts damage or speed because they feel it should be "balanced" to do something similar to what they see with the blue shield level, without actually having any evidence.

Note - I'm not saying it doesn't boost damage or speed. Just that I haven't seen any evidence yet. I'd like to see some. It does change regen rates, and probably max shield level (or why blue?), but let's see something concrete on a boost to damage or speed before declaring that to be the case.

OP: switching power levels is vital, so you can shoot when you need to shoot, heal when you need to heal, and run when you need to run.

Edited by Wainamoinen

I think I use power switch more than I fire my weapons tbh. I hated the F1, F2, F3, F4 options, so I switched them around for quicker/easier access.

Power to Weapon -> Shift+Mouse Scroll Up

Power to Engines -> Shift+Mouse Scroll Down

Power to Shields -> T

It feels more like a manual throttle shift with the power settings and seems to fit the flying feeling style of Star Wars Galactic Railgun Fighter

I see lots of claims that it boosts weapon damage or speed when power goes to weapons/engines.

I haven't seen evidence of this. Only that switching power boosts regen rates, while reducing regen to the other two.

In the case fo shields, putting power to them makes the outer ring blue - presumably more powerful than green. I think people may be saying it boosts damage or speed because they feel it should be "balanced" to do something similar to what they see with the blue shield level, without actually having any evidence.

Note - I'm not saying it doesn't boost damage or speed. Just that I haven't seen any evidence yet. I'd like to see some. It does change regen rates, and probably max shield level (or why blue?), but let's see something concrete on a boost to damage or speed before declaring that to be the case.

OP: switching power levels is vital, so you can shoot when you need to shoot, heal when you need to heal, and run when you need to run.

the damage increase is actualy very significant just try it out by yourself, hit the target while in shield stance with any blaster and than switch to weapon stance while firing, you will see increased numbers (20-30%)

for example with my heavy blasters i hit hit around 280-300 in shield or engine stance and ~400 in weapon stance at max distance

Edited by Luckyluzi

I almost certain I can see a difference in full normal speed (W held down) in my Strike when prioristing Engines. It's most noticeable when switcing from e.g. Weapons prio to Engine prio, since Weapons prio reduces power/regen from shields/engines, so the effect is more noticable when switching.

I don't know if boost speed is affected by engine priority though - it's a bit too fast to try and visualling gauge :-)

Not really controlled tests. Would be good if we could get an Imp and a Rep shoot at each other a bit, with Fraps (or Bandicam or whatever) running to record, and try a decent number of shots with and without boost to weapons.

Maybe two ships on the same side, with the same effective speed loadout, could race in a line using just W, one with boost to shields and one without.

I know that my speed using W without boost is snail slow, whether I have power to engines or not, but it's hard to compare.

It should be noted, especially by scout pilots, that there are multiple levels of engine power regeneration even when you focus your power towards engines.

Focusing towards engines will improve your overall regen rate, yes, but you will regenerate power at a slower rate based on how fast you're moving. If you hold down W all the time, your power will regenerate slowly. If you hold S to slow down or hit X to stop for a few seconds, with power diverted to engines, your engine power pool will fill up extremely quickly. As long as you're not being shot at, it's a good idea to plant it for a second or two to boost your engine power back up if it's low.

Ok I tried it on the tutorial Satellites to establish how much the increase will be and with power to weapons or shields the average hit was 291 and with power to Blasters it jumped to 390 so it is a significant boost to your dps and not only to the regeneration (as far as I can tell without a proper 1v1 dueling mode ;) )

Ok I tried it on the tutorial Satellites to establish how much the increase will be and with power to weapons or shields the average hit was 291 and with power to Blasters it jumped to 390 so it is a significant boost to your dps and not only to the regeneration (as far as I can tell without a proper 1v1 dueling mode ;) )

Good idea, and interesting result.

A circa one third increase in damage is a lot, and something you'd definitely want to utilise.

I rarely ever use F2

In my experience you can dance around a satellite pretty much forever with boosted shields unless half an armada is going for you. It's a huge boost to survivability as long as you can frequently break line of sight to avoid gunships and missiles, and a valuable tool for the last Strike Fighter to try and hold the fort until reinforcements arrive.

changing power pools is really useful. For insntance, if you are a scout and need alot of engine power then you press f3 and get extra power to the engines so the engine power bar recharges faster. If you are a gunship, you want blaster power to regenerate faster so you press f1. Or maybe you are a strike fighter in a dogfight and need more shields, press f2 and you get slightly more powerful shields that recharge faster. The only disadvantage is that with one overcharged the other two's regeneration is cut in half, if you want it all even press f4. It really helps in some situations.

But wasn't sure if I was actually dealing more damage in weapon stance. I was only sure about what Oteefo said, aka the regen downsides.

I'm still not sure tho. I do feel Laurreth is right (because why the shield stance would benefit the shield if the blaster one don't increase their damage/ even more logic for the motor pool), and I feel dealing more damage in blaster stance. But maybe it's placebo? Again I'm only sure about the regen & shield effects.

No, it's not increasing your DPS per shot. It's increasing your power available for your weapon systems. Using your weapons drains power from your weapons system. Boosting power to the weapons system allows you more use of your weapons before the power drains out. With engines, if you boost or use special abilities, it drains power from your engines...and others can drain your engine power with certain abilities. Increasing the engine power let's you use those power-consuming abilities more often and withstand the engine draining abilities of others more often. Raising engine power is particularly helpful in the initial race to the nodes and when moving from one node to another or re-spawning.

Fantastic, thanks Saerosxx. So that appears to be a 15% boost to primary weaapons when prioritising them, or a 15% loss when prioristising another system.

(

Avg of low power and prio power = (290+390)/2 = 340.5.

Low power as % of average = 290/340.5 = 85.4%

High power as % of average = 390/340.5 = 114.53%

)

all the F key setting have a passive effect indeed, as you mention just having Power to Blasters increases Regen and the actual damage per hit, Shield go up a notch, for example green to Blue.

As for Engines, you definetly travel faster with, I dont think your boost is exactly increase in speed tho probably since it seems to be a percentage value of your base speed, but in any case your regular flight speed is definetly faster with and without "W"

Edited by Botho