PT VS Merc PVE DPS

DubFanahtic

this is definitely NOT guess work.

i've spent about 12+ hours and 2-3 million (mod swapping) testing both Merc/Pyro and VG/Assasult, multiple specs.

TORParse breaks down everything. that's not saying i have the best rotation for the class/spec, but i do what i would do in actual combat. i'm sure there is some room for improvement.

http://www.torparse.com/a/86351/7

http://www.torparse.com/a/83927/2

I don't think the original poster was discussing the Merc (Pyro) spec, but rather the Merc (Arsenal) spec, vs Powertech. Merc/Arsenal is better damage than Merc/Pyro, which is why I don't think your post is really in tune with what the thread is about.

Powertech (Pyro) definitely has better damage output than Arsenal. I haven't tried Advanced Prototype, but I've read up on it a fair bit. Apparently, while it doesn't match the dps of Powertech Pyro, it still does better than Merc (either spec). While Advanced Prototype also has some nice utility, it lacks the mobility of Pyro due to the need to remain stationary during flamethrowers, which are a part of its rotation. It is also easier to manage in terms of heat, since it automatically decreases heat at an increased rate.

just wanted to chime in on PT dps, imo its frigging awesome. MOXed TfB hm first boss the other day, mine is only in full rakata, with 1 BH item (ear piece) rest of the raid was full BH. i did 1426 dps by the end of the fight, top DPS was a mara with 1436 dps.

and on the TD discusssion, i dont use it, pointless, i also dont use IM either, flame bust gives me my dot i need, i only use FB, RS, RP, Rshots and my dps in rakata is around 1300-1400. IM is far to high an energy cost to ever warrant me using. and i find putting the points for TD into aim more productive.

IM does a lot more damage than flameburst. It's definitely worth applying to the target, and not just for the dot. Leaving it out of your rotation is a significant loss of damage.

My mercenary in full blackhole gear did 1930 dps on my first HM Writhing Horror kill, as there is a lot of trash and it's easy to skyrocket your numbers on the fight via AOE. A better representation of your dps would be HM Dread Guard, since it is pretty much a single target fight and you can spend the vast majority of your time wrecking em. My Merc used to do about 1400 dps on the Dread Guard fight. When I swapped to Pyro Powertech my first kill had me at 1800 dps. These are rough numbers, but I think they speak for themselves.

Edited by Craftamancer

this is definitely NOT guess work.

i've spent about 12+ hours and 2-3 million (mod swapping) testing both Merc/Pyro and VG/Assasult, multiple specs.

TORParse breaks down everything. that's not saying i have the best rotation for the class/spec, but i do what i would do in actual combat. i'm sure there is some room for improvement.

http://www.torparse.com/a/86351/7

http://www.torparse.com/a/83927/2

IMO Pyro Merc does a bit more than what you did with your vanguard, except at 30m range.

Technically there's a small benefit to being at rocket punch range as a merc pyro but it's not worth being there for in an ops fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/71081

Also in an ops fight you have someone applying an armour debuff which adds about 8% more damage to the kinetic and energy damage a pyro merc does. An arsenal merc doesn't get a damage increase in an ops like that.

Edited by Gyronamics

My mercenary in full blackhole gear did 1930 dps on my first HM Writhing Horror kill, as there is a lot of trash and it's easy to skyrocket your numbers on the fight via AOE. A better representation of your dps would be HM Dread Guard, since it is pretty much a single target fight and you can spend the vast majority of your time wrecking em. My Merc used to do about 1400 dps on the Dread Guard fight. When I swapped to Pyro Powertech my first kill had me at 1800 dps. These are rough numbers, but I think they speak for themselves.

only this one speak the truth,

top dmg will depend on boss's skill,

qualified merc/sniper/even sorc will top on hm boss1 fight,

pt/mara will top on boss2,

idk why OP post this thread, go test by urself,

i would say no more.

IMO Pyro Merc does a bit more than what you did with your vanguard, except at 30m range.

Technically there's a small benefit to being at rocket punch range as a merc pyro but it's not worth being there for in an ops fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/71081

Also in an ops fight you have someone applying an armour debuff which adds about 8% more damage to the kinetic and energy damage a pyro merc does. An arsenal merc doesn't get a damage increase in an ops like that.

i'm sure you can make that argument. i think i know the class very well, but have my own playstyle which i never claim to be the best, or perfect.

what i have noticed, based on playing VG/AS vs Merc/PT is the mobility, instant casting, and instant CGC proc.

my rotaions are much smoother, i NEVER have to lose DPS when moving (aoe, goo, fire, etc.), and most importantly (to me) i can kite LIKE A BOSS. also, in and outs on bosses.

i've parsed both, using my playstyle and builds, and i find VG/AS to be an all around better option for DPS, at the moment. OPs and FPs.

PT can put up numbers in PVE, but their utility is terrible. No threat drop whatsoever, no CC, no knockback, the only useful things they have is a pull (which generates threat, which is bad), and a taunt, which has situational utility at best. I'd rather have a marauder, juggernaut, assassin, or operative for a melee DPS. The short cooldown for interrupt is about the only redeeming feature of the PT, and you have to spec into it.

PT can put up numbers in PVE, but their utility is terrible. No threat drop whatsoever, no CC, no knockback, the only useful things they have is a pull (which generates threat, which is bad), and a taunt, which has situational utility at best. I'd rather have a marauder, juggernaut, assassin, or operative for a melee DPS. The short cooldown for interrupt is about the only redeeming feature of the PT, and you have to spec into it.

that's what guard and taunts are for. everything has a trade-off.

i can stay at 10m, while melee cannot, and still put out 1700+ DPS, while moving, which Merc cannot.

while i will say i would rather have Merc utility, mezz, heal, cleanse, agro dump (vs. taunts, grapple, aoe stun), i play a DPS class.

and, the way i play it (which i am not saying is best, just best results for me not having a solid OP/FP group), usually on average of 200-300 DPS per fight increase on my VG/AS vs. my Merc/PT (in exactly the same gear).

i PvE like i PvP, rarely sitting still, staying at ideal ranges (10m limit) and avoiding as much damage as possible, DOING as much damage as possible. and i find it much more intuitive on a Vanguard or Powertech.

*EDIT* i've found the instant proc CGC to be roughly 50DPS increase versus rapid shot procs, especially in situations where you must switch targets regularly.

Edited by T-Assassin

PT DPS is always going to be a few hundred higher than Merc DPS in PvE. PT sims have it capping at 2185 in Full BiS gear, whereas mercs caps in the mid 1900's. My mara is capping out at mid 2200's now, so personally anything that can keep up with me in a raid is pretty impressive (this week in NiM EC Firebrand/Stormcaller, I was sitting at 2036 dps and 250k damage higher than any other DPS in raid). PT's can keep up pretty closely, merc's can't.

Lack of threat drop is an issue.

The rest is meh though. Pulls/knock backs/cc are not required on any challenging pve content.

Marauders have bloodlust, which is very nice, true, but the rest don't really bring anything substantial other than DPS to an ops fight. Really, ptechs ability to stay at 10m range for almost all of their DPS, and I'd count their ranged attacks as good enough to break even with lack of a charge/sprint. (Rapid shots for a ptech can do 1k+ DPS with combustible proc, plus rail shot.

But as others have said, both ptech and merc are viable in ops.

PT DPS is always going to be a few hundred higher than Merc DPS in PvE. PT sims have it capping at 2185 in Full BiS gear, whereas mercs caps in the mid 1900's. My mara is capping out at mid 2200's now, so personally anything that can keep up with me in a raid is pretty impressive (this week in NiM EC Firebrand/Stormcaller, I was sitting at 2036 dps and 250k damage higher than any other DPS in raid). PT's can keep up pretty closely, merc's can't.

that's EXACTLY what i am seeing, based on my testing on dummies as well as parsing since i've done a few HM OPs.

again, most of the testing done has been in ideal situations (OPs dummy), where moving, interrupts, etc. are variables in DPS.

just swapped out 2 more mods (all 61's minus belt, 63barrel/63OH armor) and i'm up another 100 DPS. (i was using WH Rifle, now all PvE mods in rifle)

My point is, i've yet to be in a fight where i could stand still and free cast without having to move or get interrupted, which is NEVER an issue on VG. thus, further increasing DPS in OP/FP's.

Merc needs fixed, NOW.

here's a parse: 8/8/25 VG/AS (no SS, 9.5m range)

http://www.torparse.com/a/89546/59

and one w/ SS 3.85m range (8/8/25):

http://www.torparse.com/a/89563/58

Edited by T-Assassin