any good republic stories?

skullkandy

I want to play through with a republic character since I have one of every class on the empire side. I'm just having trouble finding one that the story isn't awful for. I've only played the republic classes up to level 11 each and hated every one. What's you recommendation for the best republic story?

and because story is somewhat subjective, it isn't that i find being a bad guy better than a good guy, it's that I felt the empire characters had depth and the republic was 2 dimensional (as far as I've gotten.) The republic every quest is either the option to stop saving the galaxy and rescue every old ladies kitten from a tree being the universes butler or murder and eat the cat in front of her.

Do any of the republic stories get some depth to them and some characters that are believable further into the story, or is it all childish writing and cheesy things no one would ever say or do?

Edited by skullkandy

To be fair, none of the class stories are deep by Level 11. Sith Warriors get a new Master, for example. The only exception I can think of is the IA, which is great from the get go.

I really liked the Trooper story myself, I know others felt it was too bland, but as weird as it sounds, that is what I liked about it. The story is about being a (highly skilled) normal guy in a land of magic and lightsabers. M1-4X doesn't hurt things either, hands down the best companion in the game.

For the Jedi experience, the Consular story is solid. Note that by "Jedi experience" I mean self-sacrifice and diplomacy. I found the story itself boring, but it was a perfectly legitimate Jedi Story.

Although I have not made a Knight yet, I often hear it referred to as "The KOTOR 3" story. I have also not taken a Smuggler to a place where I would really experience the story.

To be fair, none of the class stories are deep by Level 11. Sith Warriors get a new Master, for example. The only exception I can think of is the IA, which is great from the get go.

I really liked the Trooper story myself, I know others felt it was too bland, but as weird as it sounds, that is what I liked about it. The story is about being a (highly skilled) normal guy in a land of magic and lightsabers. M1-4X doesn't hurt things either, hands down the best companion in the game.

For the Jedi experience, the Consular story is solid. Note that by "Jedi experience" I mean self-sacrifice and diplomacy. I found the story itself boring, but it was a perfectly legitimate Jedi Story.

Although I have not made a Knight yet, I often hear it referred to as "The KOTOR 3" story. I have also not taken a Smuggler to a place where I would really experience the story.

I see what you're saying about it not being deep at level 11, I think I didn't phrase that well. I don't mean like a deep plot, just characters that don't feel like they were written by a 2nd grader. Characters that have personalities which I have found a serious lack of on the republic side.

I think i'll try the trooper then. I think swtor really boiled jedi down too much. In the movies even jedi have unique personalities. So far all the jedi I encountered in swtor are so cheesy and bland.

Edited by skullkandy

You would not know until you try it. For example mentioned Consular story a lot of people find boring. Yet, I have 2 consulars but can not force myself to finish leveling my smuggler. JK - is very epic, Smuggler - very self-centered, Trooper - is about Republic bad side and how real heroes still remain loyal despite all that, Consular - all about diplomacy. I would say play until lvl 10, go through the first FP and see for yourself if you like it.

I'd recommend a Knight because it's the only class whose story I actually enjoyed after Act 1. You said you want a story with depth so I strongly recommend playing neutral or slightly-dark alignment because full lightside is literally Jesus-IN-SPACE! and full darkside doesn't really make sense story wise.

Trooper is a very fun class and has a very strong Act 1 but the story completely dies after that. Every mission in Act 2/3 is basically Garza saying "Go here, do that, kill him" and you say "FER DA REPUBLIC herp derp" Fun if that's what your into, but there's no real story there.

Smuggler has a decent Act 1 and lots of one-liners throughout but the story is pretty weak. Less smuggling and more Republic errand-boy.

Haven't played consular past the first few planets. From what I've read the story doesn't actually seem that bad in regards to actually having one, it's just comparatively boring.

it isn't that i find being a bad guy better than a good guy, it's that I felt the empire characters had depth and the republic was 2 dimensional (as far as I've gotten.)

I agree. I still would argue that a neutral or light sided empire player gets the best experience as far a roleplay is concerned, because he actually has to make tough decisions and reconcile his/her morals with his/her duty/beliefs.

I mean, the entire trooper story, for example, can be described by a loud "Sir, for the republic, sir!", no matter which alignment you are. (´Though an evil tropper might leave out the "Sir")

It figures that while basicially all republic stories feature Imperials/Sith as the main villain (I think it is all stories, actually) the Imperial stories usually have fellow Imperials/Sith has the archenemy on the backdrop of the ongoing Imp/Rep conflict. No wonder which stories feel more complex and less one-dimesional / black and white.

If you want a character that has serious character and perfect voice acting, roll a female smuggler. Best one liners in the game. Story does not live up to either the IA, Warrior or even the knight for that matter, but for a toon that takes on a life of her own you cannot beat the female smuggler. Perfect either light or dark too. My main is a female sawbones that wants the credits, but has a heart of gold, but also leveled an alt with someone that played a darkside female gunslinger and the lines were just as good, if not better.

Story wise the smuggler story is not epic like the warrior or knight, but I still found it very entertaining if only for the comic relief it grants. Even grouping now on alts, I hate to group with female smugglers because that is my toons voice and giggle. Only toon I feel that way about.

Story wise, the best story on the republic side to me was the Knight. Although, the only one I have replayed so far is the Consular (shadow and sage), it isn't terrible, but it does not compare to any of the imp stories. I still find it better that the trooper story.

Edited by mikebevo

I mean, the entire trooper story, for example, can be described by a loud "Sir, for the republic, sir!", no matter which alignment you are. (´Though an evil tropper might leave out the "Sir")

Have to disagree quite a bit there, have you finished Chapter 3 on a Trooper? Trooper starts out as "Sir, yes sir" for sure, it moves away from that very quickly unless you are Neutral.

Edited by Syas

from what i can recall i liked the trooper story.. could'nt be bothered to finish any of the others

it's typical militaristic.. the whole climbing up the ladder earning rank after rank etc

and it probably had the best act 3 out of all classes

Edited by hallucigenocide

I've got 50s of the Imp Agent, Sith Warrior, Consular, Bounty Hunter, 2 Smugglers and 3 Troopers. Trooper is hands down my favorite story.

I'll preface this with my attitude that, especially on Republic Side, anybody who gets really up-tight about being LS or DS will miss out. The most fun character stories are always the ones where you do what you want, and you don't care what the heck the alignment or companion reactions are (good or bad). Every time you hit Esc and go back to take a differant path that is not what you initially wanted to do, you are robbing yourself of a little bit more of the story that you actually wanted. Ignore the little tabs and play your character how you want, consequences be darned.

Okay, that being said, I still feel like the Trooper was the most fun. Right from the beginning I get the feeling of being that Greeny that is just following orders. By the time I complete my squad, I feel like a real special forces unit where I'm the one giving the orders. I've played it through differant ways, from being the loyal soldier to being the "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" kill 'em all guy who joined up just to shoot folks. Even tried it as a more diplomatic female Trooper who always tried her hardest to save lives and avoid violence. Each way gave me a unique experience and made it great fun.

Perhaps only with the Sith Warrior have I felt more animosity towards my ongoing antagonist. Sure, with the Smuggler I really hated Skavek, but I never could quite get the vibe that I was afraid of Rogun or the Voidwolf. With the Consular, in comparison, I felt almost no animosity towards my enemies at all (perhaps that's because the story is written to be more calm, but I just didn't seem to care so much about fighting those guys).

With the Trooper though

first fighting my way through the old Havok Squad, their betrayal left a wound. I barely knew them, and yet it was a huge deal. Whether I was Republic Loyalist and hated them for what they'd done, or I was just the tough as nails veteran who empathized with their reasons, but wasn't going to let that sort of treachery stand (or even as the career lapdog who just saw them as a loose end that was stopping him from being able to promote up by giving Havok a bad name), hunting those guys down meant something.

From there, it's a brief pause to recruit Vik, Yuun, and the pilots on Belsavis, and then we're off to bust up our big target, making the Trooper one of the few classes that actually is PROactive instead of reactive. Rakton doesn't come after us; we throw the first shots that starts this rivalry. And when Rakton kills Jaxo (or kills all those soldiers while I save Jaxo), that made it personal.

My final showdown with Rakton, it was still every bit as exciting as hunting Havok. Really, only the Sith Warrior ends on such a high note.

So if you enjoyed the Imperial side of things and you want a Republic character, Trooper is my big recommendation. Non-stop fun.

Trooper has a good ending, IF you go Dark. The LS options for ending made me sick.

IA's ending was made of pure awesome.

Consular's was "meh," but then the entire Consular story was dishwater dull.

Smuggler's story I've hated from the beginning. I love the game mechanics (they're IA mechanics, after all), but I utterly despise everything else about the Smuggler with the sole exception of Guss Tunno.

JK looks like it will end well (still slogging through Voss with mine, and altaholism slows me down).

To sum up for OP, there might be one good republic story.

He stole my ship!

HRRR TRRK MRRR SHRRRP!

Yeah, that motivation lasts for about 10 levels or so, then wears thin. I do wish someone on the writing team knew what a privateer was, so that when the Republic names me one, I could do what a privateer does. That would have been cool.

They don't, so it wasn't.

Smuggler act 1 is excellent. It goes downhill from there before picking up again in act 3. Consular and trooper stories are pretty ok to decent and JK's is pathetic farce. So given the choices smuggler's story is the best at least as my tastes go. None are as compelling as sith warrior's which is the one empire story I completed.

As an aside, the Tuna has a hilarious line once you make it to the Axial(?) park on Corellia.

Edited by Aelaias

Trooper story is poor man's Mass Effect trilogy. Act 1, you run around hunting the SOB who, a)wronged you, b)can make Very Bad Things happen to your motherland and retire him in the end. Act 2, you go around collecting your superbadarseful team of the most superbadarseful badarses that ever badarsed in this Galaxy, and oh, there is some sort of something else going around pretending to be a plot, I guess? Act 3, you are saving the world, or at least the part worth saving to, by running around doing some boombastic superdupermegaawesome stuff and wondering where the hell is your antagonist, because it seriously cannot be this lame guy, right?

In short, if you liked Mass Effects, second one in particular, chances are you'll like Trooper story too.

I agree. I still would argue that a neutral or light sided empire player gets the best experience as far a roleplay is concerned, because he actually has to make tough decisions and reconcile his/her morals with his/her duty/beliefs.

I agree this is true. A light side Warrior, Agent or Inquisitor is a really fun romp. For a bounty hunter, it's just an honorable fighter, but still good. By contrast, playing a dark sider as a Jedi makes no sense, but it's actually quite interesting as a Smuggler or Trooper.

Not true at all. Troopers get thrust into bad choices regarding alignment and some really tough moral choices. Sometimes being the good soldier requires acts that are clearly evil or dishonorable. Being a light side trooper all the way often times finds you disobeying direct orders. There's is more depth to that story that you are letting on.

It figures that while basicially all republic stories feature Imperials/Sith as the main villain (I think it is all stories, actually)

The Jedi Consular's final boss is neither Imperial nor Sith. The Smuggler only gets involved in the War in earnest after Act II.

the Imperial stories usually have fellow Imperials/Sith has the archenemy on the backdrop of the ongoing Imp/Rep conflict. No wonder which stories feel more complex and less one-dimesional / black and white.

I don't agree this lead to greater depth. The Warrior story is superb, the Inquisitor story is absolute nonsense. The Agent is fun but don't think too hard about it. The Bounty Hunter has a choice on who his final opponent will be.

personally, I was not amused by my Jedi Knight's story... I found her/him almost mary suesish in the amount of wish fufillment the story provides.... I just don't buy the because destiny says so excuse that is so prevelant. their lack of true development is another issue..

not a bad story... just not worth it's hype.

"Because destiny says so" is the cornerstone of story for all four Force user classes, and that's why I prefer the rest, who get to make their own destiny. And among Chosen Ones, Jedi Knight and his moustache-twirling counterpart Sith Warrior both are rampaging over-the-top Mary Sues when the other two are a bit better written. And given how both JK and SW stories look like they've been coined in Cliche factory, assembly line No. Banality, I think nobody even bothered to do anything creative with them - they're both competently manufactured, unabashed wish fulfillments (now with laser swords!) - silly fun to rock out with your saber out, but better not to overthink it.

This thread encouraged me to give my Trooper another go (currently at the beginning of chapter 2. Thought it was decent but not great).

And I'm surprised at how many people disliked the Knight story. I'm guessing because it's very predictable and a bit cheesy during certain scenes?

• 6 months later...

If we're talking early game republic stories then trooper and smuggler though each for very different reasons.

Trooper - let's be honest, whole ord mantell is a trooper zone, smuggler's just a passerby there. His own story, and ord mantell quests blend together for great start to his story. Also the army doesn't require you to be lightsided. There's even a funny convo with one of your companions about jedi being mentally ill letting enemies go rather then blasting them to bits:) Still it is indeed about serving the republic and going the way they point you to (well duh! You're a soldier not a biker!).

Smuggler - i think his story in the beggining is even better then trooper's. You don't get the feeling of grandoise and deep moral dillemas as trooper (since ord mantell is really his zone), but you get the feeling of freedom and it being personal. From the very get go, it's you, your own personal story, and everything that happens next is your own call. This story of all the 4 made me pick most darkside choices without any regrets. Cause i'm not a jedi, i don't defend the republic, and that blaster isn't hanging around my belt for show. When ppl screw with me they get the business end of my blaster and i got not jedi council or generals giving me disciplinary speeches:rak_03:

Edited by Mizef

You need to RP a bit in your mind if you want to enjoy all the stories. Put yourself in your character's shoes. BE your character.

JK is the protector. I played mine as a true Jedi.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no chaos; there is harmony.

There is no death; there is the Force.

Smuggler is a rascal. I played mine as suave and a bit greedy, with a pinch of sarcasm.

Trooper is your typical meathead grunt. You're not out to find secrets, you're not a credit hungry narcissist. You're a soldier. I played with that mindset.

I haven't played the consular past level 20 yet, so I can't offer advice on that.

Edited by Faolon