The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

CelCawdro

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever considered the remote possibility that Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is as good, if not BETTER than the class stories?

Considered and dismissed. It's an impossibility. The class stories are great in no small part simply because they are separate. That being said, my expectations aren't high at all - at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the first quest has our throats crushed by a Hutt, rendering us all mute. :rolleyes:

Have you ever considered the remote possibility that Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel is as good, if not BETTER than the class stories?

- Wrath, you defeated countless Jedi and are an important asset to Empire's campaign. By defeating false Voice, you solidified your position Emperor's personal executioner. It will be your job to severely punish those who would attempt to defy the Emperor as he slumbers and plans to take catastrophic revenge on the Jedi who dared challenge him.

- I'm ready Hand. Show me me my target that I can enforce Emperor's will.

- Yeah about that, there are some Hutts that need schooling.

Yup buddy, certainly better.

- Wrath, you defeated countless Jedi and are an important asset to Empire's campaign. By defeating false Voice, you solidified your position Emperor's personal executioner. It will be your job to severely punish those who would attempt to defy the Emperor as he slumbers and plans to take catastrophic revenge on the Jedi who dared challenge him.

- I'm ready Hand. Show me me my target that I can enforce Emperor's will.

- Yeah about that, there are some Hutts that need schooling.

Yup buddy, certainly better.

Heh, yeah those darn slimey Hutts! How dare they to be neutral - nukem' now! ;)

To be fair, those characters arose out of an era when just when what it meant to be a "Jedi" was being rediscovered - the old traditions were lost, and had to be rediscovered. In this particular era, Force-using traditions are firmly entrenched.

Even in this ageof TOR, there are those who defy the traditions. My assassin's storyline quests have this mentioned in her storyline cutscenes.

If we were going to go by "what's the norm" we wouldn't allow Chiss Force Users, as they're a rare occurence.

The Lightsaber/Blaster Force User could be that rare occurence. :) Which, so far, all the class storylines seem to be about the best/rare figure.

It's ok G, you were prolly thinking about this as you were typing. :D

I have real problems with Makeb, I think it's hidden by the Force. :eek:

The person was concerned about no more class story ever, which is Cel's speculation here.

That seems pretty likely from what we've been told and the rate of content developments, look at Makeb, then imagine 8 class stories to go with the main planet story, we'd not be seeing it till 2014.

Personally I suspect we'll never see class story in the same context at L1-50 in SWTOR again. :(

If they dont continue with the class story line (the BEST thing about this game) then whats difference then any other MMO out their. I really hope they continue with the class story lines as this was the impression I was given everytime they say they will contunie with the story line. I dont want JUST a general story line I want both or theirs no point in me playing this game.

We've been told that Makeb doesn't include class-specific story and that it will contain content to level 55. So that's not going to happen.

Yeah I know I was just replying to the poster above who appeared to be bemoaning the likelyhood there will be no new classes. Personally I don't care much about that and would much prefer advancing the stories we already have. Though as you said sadly this appears increasingly unlikely.

I don't have a problem with this. The class stories sort of come to completion with lvl 50 and at that point I don't mind if the story quests become more world centric rather than class centric. One issue I had with class stories was that it was primarily solo content. Other classes didn't have a lot of incentive to join a different class for their questing. If the story line now moves in a direction where it feels like the whole population is at risk and needs to band together it may push people to group to complete story content which is something I would like to see.

I don't have a problem with this. The class stories sort of come to completion with lvl 50 and at that point I don't mind if the story quests become more world centric rather than class centric. One issue I had with class stories was that it was primarily solo content. Other classes didn't have a lot of incentive to join a different class for their questing. If the story line now moves in a direction where it feels like the whole population is at risk and needs to band together it may push people to group to complete story content which is something I would like to see.

That's what flashpoints are for - common areas that classes can group up for to deal with an overarching, universal threat. BioWare has moved away from those in those, too, unfortunately. I much prefer threats that are tailored to my class, and often just as imposing. A specific enemy does not make them any less of a threat - it merely means that your character is the most suitable person to take them out.

Sorry, but I've done the Deathwing/Arthas overarching threats, as well as quests that have my Death Knights picking posies for Druids and my Shaman using experimental poisons on villagers for a zombie scientist. I'm done with that. My character is a hero, not a mercenary (unless I'm on my mercenary;)).

That's what flashpoints are for - common areas that classes can group up for to deal with an overarching, universal threat. BioWare has moved away from those in those, too, unfortunately. I much prefer threats that are tailored to my class, and often just as imposing. A specific enemy does not make them any less of a threat - it merely means that your character is the most suitable person to take them out.

Sorry, but I've done the Deathwing/Arthas overarching threats, as well as quests that have my Death Knights picking posies for Druids and my Shaman using experimental poisons on villagers for a zombie scientist. I'm done with that. My character is a hero, not a mercenary (unless I'm on my mercenary;)).

Frankly I lost you like 3 sentences in. I think there was WoW talk in there which was probably why. Not a WoW veteran.

The game is going to have to get a little more grown up to survive in the long haul. If 50-55 starts to venture into sand box territory with Mekab then that is a good thing.

I try not to look at 50 as end game. This is still lowbie content and by this time next year we will probably be talking about an expansion and a new lvl 60 cap. Some of that leveling arch as the level cap goes up must start requiring parties of 3+.

But I see this problem being solved for people like you who would prefer to still be able to solo: The devs have already mentioned that we will be able to use 3 companions in the future at some point. If they start creating content that is a little tougher and requires a group, someone will have the ability to group or someone will have the ability to pull out their healer and tank companion as a dps, or pull out their dps and tank companion as a healer and run around in a 3 person group solo.

But I do disagree with you (I think if I read you correctly) about the story line. I would like a universal story at some point that makes it feel like all of us are in danger and need to band together to save the galaxy. That's what Star Wars is about to me. It's not about banding together to fight a tirant in an OP or FP.

Frankly I lost you like 3 sentences in. I think there was WoW talk in there which was probably why. Not a WoW veteran.

The game is going to have to get a little more grown up to survive in the long haul. If 50-55 starts to venture into sand box territory with Mekab then that is a good thing.

I try not to look at 50 as end game. This is still lowbie content and by this time next year we will probably be talking about an expansion and a new lvl 60 cap. Some of that leveling arch as the level cap goes up must start requiring parties of 3+.

But I see this problem being solved for people like you who would prefer to still be able to solo: The devs have already mentioned that we will be able to use 3 companions in the future at some point. If they start creating content that is a little tougher and requires a group, someone will have the ability to group or someone will have the ability to pull out their healer and tank companion as a dps, or pull out their dps and tank companion as a healer and run around in a 3 person group solo.

But I do disagree with you (I think if I read you correctly) about the story line. I would like a universal story at some point that makes it feel like all of us are in danger and need to band together to save the galaxy. That's what Star Wars is about to me. It's not about banding together to fight a tirant in an OP or FP.

To clarify, I meant that story content is best when it is created specifically for the character you're playing. To put it into Star Wars terms, my Sith Warrior would never smuggle cargo for the Republic, nor would my Trooper engage in esoteric, mystical archaeology, just because someone happens to be paying them enough. Both of those activities are iconic to the Star Wars universe, but they don't necessarily make sense depending on who is performing those actions. And yes, those are extreme examples, but it also serves to illustrate that you cannot delve into these very specific aspects of the Star Wars universe with a shared story. If my Warrior, Inquisitor and Trooper all share the same story, characterization becomes a moot point.

Are there universal threats? Of course. But it doesn't make sense for our characters to deal with those threats in the same manner. In a way, virtually every class story is working to the same goal (at least, for their specific goals). Every character simply does so in a different way.

To lose that is to lose what made SW:TOR special, narratively.

Edited by CelCawdro

I personally would pay for the class stories to continue (ie an expansion). If BW/EA is as interested in making money as the majority of people on this forum seem to believe then I don't think you can rule out them having a one off fee expansion fee which would bring in the next chapter(s) of the class stories.

Without the continuation I think I'd be inclined to switch my account down to a F2P account. I'm still happily playing through each class (have done 4 of the 8) so have plenty more of this content to get through. But once I'm done with that I can't really see much need to continue paying (until there is alot more content in one go to get my teeth into).

Im against a generic

I dont want to replay the same thing on my alts(will not)

Yeah, i have actually decided already that once i finish all 8 class stories I will be leaving characters behind.

Whn new content comes out and level cap increases happen, it will be 1 rep and 1 imp. I am not leveling 8 characters through the same stuff.

Honestly, they made this game pretty hard to manage when they went the route of Kotor mmo. If they had made a similar SWG clone with wow elements and just questing. It would be a huge success, maybe. Emphasis on the maybe. Selling your game with "Story Driven MMO" is just something very hard to pull off if not impossible.

Honestly, they made this game pretty hard to manage when they went the route of Kotor mmo. If they had made a similar SWG clone with wow elements and just questing. It would be a huge success, maybe. Emphasis on the maybe. Selling your game with "Story Driven MMO" is just something very hard to pull off if not impossible.

Because SWG was a huge success.

Oh wait...