Thoughts on early access

StarDestruction

I pre-ordered this game almost 3 whole long weeks ago. I spent over 5 minutes on the incredibly complex process of ordering it offline and plugging the numbers i got emailed to me into one bar, i should be rewarded. Sure i know that for this launch there is probably more people planning to play than any other mmo ever and i really didn't put nearly as much forethought into this as the people who are playing now but why should that matter. I WANT TO PLAY!!

I've been poking around on all the forums and have noticed so many other geniuses just like me who are fed up with this crude attempt to stagger the leveling experience. I mean i would rather have bioware spend all their money buying servers they can't even in the best case scenario and have to spend hours on disruptive and very annoying maintenance in about 3 months than go another minute without swtor. And who doesn't wants to spend hours on end working your *** off to be the best on your server only to be ripped from one server to another finding that theres some uber guild slightly further along than you or with slightly better players. Well I know what I'd do in that situation, destroy my guild to get into that new one. What friends who needs em its all about being the best.

If you haven't noticed by now I love mmos and I'm way more hardcore than you and to top it all off way smarter than the people at bioware. What do they know not like they've had any experience whatsoever managing mmos. If it was me every single pre-order would get a server named after them after all the 5 bucks i paid extra should be more than enough to finance something like that. Bioware really should spend all their money to make their servers both low populated and extremely expensive. I certainly don't want them spending money on innovations in the game. Blow my money on all sorts of gadgets that are going to sit around collecting dust for the rest of the life of this game.

Its not only that there's more!! When i play mmos i like to play socially with the people around me. I've always had the best experiences when i leveled to max level with a guild and then started into end game content with people I've been playing with forever. So after playing the beta and really getting a feel for the game it dawned on me. If there were a couple thousand other level 3 people who were my exact same class doing the exact same quests just think of all the time we'd have to socialize with each other as we waited for the mobs to respawn.

What if i have to kill a group of thugs somewhere that shouldn't be too hard seeing as with masses of people around me if and when i manage to finally get that first shot on a mob and mark it as mine odds are it'll be dead by the 15 other people competing with me. Think about it that way we can only focus on using whatever move does damage to the target the fastest and we all know that's the only way to truly get good at your role.

Sure all these things are great but nothing compares to that feeling you get when your sitting in a log in queue after you went afk for 20 minutes and got log out. Personally i want the log in queue to be longer than the time i was planning to play the game for and i plan on playing this game until i pass out from malnutrition or sleep deprivation whichever comes first

I know I bet I'm starting to sound like I'm whining but the truth of the matter is that I was promised a chance at 5 days of early access and now 6 days before the game officially opens i still haven't gotten my email. I just don't understand how bioware could do this to me. I mean to me #1 fan pre-ordered this game 3 weeks ago. Its just unfair to me and everyone else who like me put off pre-ordering for way to long and instead of kicking themselves in the head for being slow need to flame the devs who've worked on this game for years making it something that I seriously am having trouble waiting any longer for.

this.

Agreed... Sadly, I purchased the game within 15 minutes of pre-orders being available, but didn't redeem the code until a couple of days later.

Who knew the part where you actually give them money was completely inconsequential.

Oh, and if we still get log queues after this circus act that will be evidence enough this process was a "fail"...

Edited by Riff-Raff

Surprisingly enough I actually thought through purchasing the game today, and redeem my code just a couple of hours ago that I would be able to play 'early access'. But never mind, there are a lot of people out there who haven't been able to play even though they completed that process in September so I am not pissed, I'm happy to wait a few days for the official launch, no biggie! Look forward to playing with you all.

I find it amazing at the number of people criticizing Bioware and the SWTOR teams on the forums. The release date is still officially Dec 20. One of the benefits of the preorder was the opportunity to start playing UP TO 5 days before launch. The way everyone is behaving, you would think that the staggered entrance was after release date.

They staggered entrance into the Beta in November as well, if I recall correctly. Personally, I would rather them prioritize the entrance based on order date than have an unforseen issue pop up to delay my own entry date. Yes I only pre-ordered a few weeks ago myself.

To put it simply, everyone just needs to relax and not live your life around an MMO. The game will be there, and you will get in before the "unwashed masses" on Dec 20th. Why can't you just enjoy the game and relax a bit?

Oh! Right....... this is the Internet and we are contractually obligated to flame, complain and belittle one another.....

Seriously, just relax and be happy for the email when it arrives. I don't mind a staggered start, it will cut back on some of the overcrowding at the beginning of the game.

Love the post was great. I just wish i would have put in my pre order back when my husband did so that we could be playing together right now, but i didn't even know if i wanted to play this game till i got to help beta test during the thanksgiving weekend. i put my order in a week ago and i have known since doing so that i might not get to play a full 5 days early i figure id be lucky to play a day early but watching my husband play this game has made me almost the happiest woman around he has been following the development of this game for the past 3-4 years now and when they announced you could start preordering back in july i told him to go for it and we would come up with the money for him to play he has been so excited like a little kid on christmas day so i don't mind not getting to play with him means i can take care of the kids and he can enjoy his game.