From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

irishfino

I do so love a happy Quinn, and Ald is just about the only Wrath that has one :)

Ald loves his Quinn very much. He makes all his meals, walks him three times a day, and provides him with a suitable environment for being an incredibly stiff, by the book, strategist who loves the Empire.

Feed and bathe your Quinn as often as possible and you will have a loyal servant. :D

Thanks for reading everyone!!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFC Thread crosspost!

There’s Got To Be a Morning After

Ald was half-awake when he made the first mistake of the day. It was a damn good thing he was the Force sensitive one, though the sheer force of the glare he was on the other end of… well, it shriveled parts of him worse than Hoth.

“That thing is no longer part of our lives,” Vette hissed quietly.

“Malavai-” Ald started.

Captain Bastard,” Vette spat angrily, “is not to be spoken of in our bedroom.”

“Our be – Vette, if anything, these are my quarters.”

“We’re married now, Ald,” Vette said sweetly.

“That doesn’t mean my things are suddenly yours.”

Vette fluttered her eyelashes. “You sure didn’t think that last night. And what a wonderful night it was.”

Ald didn’t need the reminder. Not anymore anyway. He should have known the weight on his chest was off. He had confused the tiny Twi’lek’s upper half for a hastily thrown arm. Was he really that far gone? The short answer was yes. This was a quick fix that came at a terrible cost, but he needed her. He needed the balance she brought with her. She was available and she made that much known nearly the second the man had disembarked. He had waited, avoided her advances, and dodged her presence until he couldn’t deny that he needed something to ground him. And she was convenient. It was wrong of course. It was terrible. It was a disaster in the making. But stars above did it feel good. He felt normal. He felt more normal than he had in weeks.

“-and a ring would be rather nice, don’t you think?” Vette asked. Apparently she had been talking for some time.

“Sounds proper,” Ald said quietly. Sounds like something Malavai would say.

“Ugh, you sound like that creature. You’re not still thinking about him, are you? Not when we’re together, right?”

“No, love,” he lied. It must have been convincing, because she blushed straight to sapphire.

“You’re such a sweetie,” she said with a smile. “I think a nice, relaxing bath is in order.” She grinned. “I’m a bit sore from last night.”

Ald very nearly jumped from the bed. “I’ll get on the HoloNet and look up jewelers.”

Vette squealed as she made her way to the refresher. “Will you tell me what you’re ordering?”

“Let’s leave it a surprise.”

“I can’t wait!”

He could. And he really should have. Fool.

Notes:

Vette is, arguably, obsessed with Ald by this point. Ald has been very nice to her, took off her collar when she asked, and asks nothing of her. When she finally, finally has the chance to get him, it's under incredibly poor circumstances and she's so very paranoid he'll continue his search for Quinn. Which he does. This causes her to attempt to tighten her grip on Ald, which ultimately fails.

That being said, comments in the SFC Thread lead me to believe Vette isn't seen as capable of such... not really malice, but obsessive behavior. To me, no matter how cheerful a person appears, there is always a darker side tucked away that could be prodded to the surface under the right conditions.

Edited by irishfino

Morning After – Oh, Captain, My Captain What Have You Done?

Malavai wasn’t in bed. He wouldn’t be, of course, he was too busy facing down the wrath of the crew. Not the Wrath, as he was now, but the actual crew and their anger at his… Was it really a betrayal? In the strongest sense of the emotions roiling around the Fury, it was. He tried to kill his boss - though he claimed Ald was never his boss to begin with - and that attempt was really betrayal. He lied to Ald. He lied to them all. Then he turned around and tried to murder him. The crew wouldn’t do anything rash, Ald was sure. Nothing would harm that man unless Ald willed it to be so. And he didn’t will it.

Ald slowly made his way from his bed to the conference room. Ah, the table. So many memories. Most of them good, even. Malavai was standing at the head of the table, staring straight ahead, his face a carefully compiled mask. Things in the room were quiet, but tense.

“My Lord,” Malavai greeted, inclining his head slightly.

“Captain,” Ald replied. “I trust all is well?”

“The best course of action at this juncture is for me to depart the crew and leave you to your campaign against Darth Baras.”

“If that is truly your wish, I will not deny you your transfer papers.”

“It is the quickest way to get you and the crew back on track to getting you confirmed as the Wrath, my Lord.”

Ald looked to the rest of the crew. Their faces betrayed nothing and only Jaesa knew enough to keep her emotions locked behind a wall of the Force.

“I’ve forgiven your misstep Captain,” Ald said calmly. Pierce snorted. “There is no need for you to leave the crew.”

“I have compromised the crew and ruined unit cohesion. It is best if I depart,” Malavai said stiffly. No, he was Quinn now. He had stepped back into that role and away from the role of Malavai, his lover and confidant.

“I will draw up the papers that will allow you safe transfer to wherever you see fit,” Ald said evenly. He turned away from the group then. “I’ll transmit them to you when we dock.”

Then he left. He left them to whatever tense arrangement they had previous to his arrival. He entered his quarters, ensured the doors were locked, but set to alert him should anyone need him, and climbed back into their bed. His bed, now.

He was always very different from other Sith. Here, in this moment, with this weight against his chest, he let himself go. He left the Sith teachings of rage and hatred and allowed himself to feel sorrow and hurt. And when his Captain was gone and the tears had dried up, he would close himself off from the others. Nothing would get in and nothing would get out.

He would live on his anger at the emptiness quickly taking hold in his chest. He would regress and become the Brute if it meant killing Baras. He would fit into the Sith mold, defeat the Empire’s enemies, take down the Republic and conquer the Galaxy. All without his Captain by his side.

The void in his chest expanded and he became numb. He would remain numb, truly numb, until his Captain was returned to him.

Notes:

Inspired by the SFC Thread Prompt: Morning After.

Morning After – The Return

He could scarcely believe the man was back on his ship, back on the Bridge as if he had never left, back in his arms. The moment was bittersweet, tainted by reality and Quinn’s insistence that Ald deal with the situation with Vette. He wondered if Quinn was still Quinn or if he was Malavai again.

The man next to him stirred then rolled over. Ald waited for a reaction and he got one. Quinn looked at him with wide eyes, lips slightly parted as if he had gasped then he froze completely.

“Am I dreaming?” Quinn asked quietly.

“No,” Ald replied, “this is very real.”

“I fell asleep.” Quinn sat up quickly and started to move from the bed. “I – I apologize, my Lord.”

Ald placed a comforting hand on one of Quinn’s shoulders to halt the other man’s panicked movements. “It’s alright. I kept you up late with conversation.”

“It wasn’t late, my Lord. I should – I should have more control than that.”

“We didn’t sleep together, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Technically, we did.”

Ald chuckled softly. “In the most literal sense, yes.”

“Have you spoken with Vette, yet?” Quinn asked quietly as he tried to settle back onto the bed. He was mostly successful.

“I was sleeping,” Ald replied blithely.

“Right. Right.”

“Are you alright?”

Quinn shook his head. “I’ve barely slept since I left.” He paused and looked at Ald. “I waited, you know.”

“For what?” Ald asked, confused and curious at the same time. He had a small hope Quinn had waited for him.

“For the end,” Quinn replied, his voice taking on a strange edge. “I waited for Baras to kill me like the rest of his spies.”

“He was far too busy trying to stop me on Corellia to worry about a pawn.”

Quinn flinched and turned his head away. Ald felt bad and ridiculously triumphant in that tiny moment. He could make this man feel shame, feel useless, feel like he threw everything away. He had this power over Quinn, now, and he could use it if he felt inclined to. But he didn’t. He wanted to move on. Move on with Quinn. With Malavai.

“Malavai,” Ald said quietly. To his greatest surprise, and, perhaps, his undeniable happiness, Quinn turned to him. “I have forgiven you. I told you as much last night.”

“I shouldn’t be here,” Malavai said quietly. “I don’t belong.”

“You belong with me, by my side.”

“What about Vette?”

“I’ll talk to her.”

“My Lo-”

Further conversation was halted when Ald lunged for Malavai, pressing his lips against his rather insistently. And Malavai found himself unable to resist the comfort Ald offered.

Ooh, vignettes. Excellent!

Ald felt bad and ridiculously triumphant in that tiny moment. He could make this man feel shame, feel useless, feel like he threw everything away. He had this power over Quinn, now, and he could use it if he felt inclined to.

Love that bitter little revelation!

Ooh, vignettes. Excellent!

Love that bitter little revelation!

Ald continues to have mixed feelings on the matter and I'm glad I'm able to convey that. If I fretted as much over anything else as I did my writing, I think I would have revolutionized a few fields of study, lol.

Morning After – The Return: Vette

They had talked briefly, oh, so very briefly, when Quinn returned to the ship. How could she love someone so short-sighted, someone so obsessed with another person they would break the heart of whoever they were with to be with their obsession. She never would have done that to him. In fact, she wouldn’t have been so obsessed with another person that she dropped everything to be by their side.

The irony of their situations was lost on her, but it didn’t matter. What mattered now was getting Quinn off the ship. One way or the other. She did hate a mess.

Notes:

Incredibly short. A drabble, I suppose. I can't seem to get into Vette's head at the moment. And I want to. I want to tell things from her side so it doesn't look like I'm vilifying her. I think Ald's early adventures might be best for it.

I'm babbling.

Edited by irishfino

Twisting Words

“I’ve thought about growing out my hair,” Ald announced over dinner.

“Can you?” Malavai queried. Ald scrunched up his face. “It’s just that I’ve never seen a hair on your head. I thought you were permanently bald.”

“I may not be able to grow facial hair like some scruffy Captains I know, but I do have hair on my head. I just shave it.”

Malavai chuckled. “What style would you attempt?”

“Attempt?” huffed Ald. “And I was thinking of keeping it short. Maybe an inch at the longest.”

“I can work with that.”

Ald laughed quietly. “My mind went to a very interesting place just then.”

“Do share.”

“It isn’t proper over dinner.”

“I’m finally rubbing off on you,” Malavai said triumphantly.

Ald snorted a laugh then covered his mouth. He had to know what effect he was having on Ald. He just had to.

“You’re doing this on purpose,” Ald teased.

“Doing what?” Malavai asked innocently.

“Sending my thoughts into a Nar Shaddaa sewer.”

“I cannot be blamed for that, my Lord. I am entirely innocent in such matters.”

“You’re no blushing virgin.”

“You’re in one of those moods aren’t you?”

“Where everything you say is perverted in delightful ways? Yes.”

Malavai shook his head. “I had better get dessert on the table, then.”

“Ooh, sounds fancy.”

“I found a bakery that specializes in cheesecakes made with Membrosia. I was offered a sample and found it suitable.”

“Sounds perfect.”

And it was.

Notes:

I like cheesecake. That is all.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesecake is best. Broan loves cheesecake. He and Quinn should go cake shopping :p

Oh my god, that would be hilariously awesome!

Oooo double date!

Two Sith and their officers. [squee] Sounds so awesome!

Thanks for reading everyone!

Celebrate with Me

Ald was definitely enjoying his vacation. If it could really be called a vacation; it was a rare thing that his sort of presence or power was needed on the battlefield. Was it really a vacation if you seldom clocked in for work? He decided it was because vacation sounded better than “There’s no use for me at the present moment so I might as well skip off into the sunset and do whatever I want.” Yes, vacation had a much nicer ring to it.

Ald sighed happily and laid his head back on Malavai’s chest. It hadn’t been his idea to take a bath together, but Malavai looked so relaxed in the tub, well, he couldn’t help himself. Malavai obliged, of course, though he could have said no and Ald would have left it at that. He had been awfully… loving lately. Kinder, more comforting, eager to cuddle. Ald created a small list in his head of the changes and was curious as to why. Nearly dying was likely the biggest factor. Well, not really dying, but becoming a mindless murder machine. Murder machine. Ald sighed softly. Broonmark. Vette. Dammit, why couldn’t he enjoy his bath without these thoughts coming to him.

Malavai shifted slightly and looked down the bridge of Ald’s nose. “Something bothering you? You’ve become tense.”

“Nothing important, just an errant thought is all,” Ald replied.

“Is it about your upcoming birthday?”

Oh, stars, he’d forgotten about his birthday! He sat up straight and spun around in the water.

“Did you forget again?”

“I never celebrate it, it’s nothing worth remembering.”

“It is the day of your birth. I daresay you wouldn’t be here without it,” Malavai said. Ald shook his head in amusement. “It’s worth celebrating, if only a little.”

“You don’t celebrate yours,” Ald said quietly.

“I acknowledge the day for what it is, but I am usually on duty on the day and find little purpose in celebrating after.”

“It’s not something I seek to acknowledge. It’s just another day.”

“It’s not just another day, Ald,” Malavai said, tilting his head slightly. “It’s not like Valentine’s Day or Sacking Day. It’s your birthday. On that day, you have officially survived another year, made another year’s progress, changed a little over the course of that year, made friends, enemies, what have you, and, most importantly, you’ve lived to impact others lives for another year. In times such as these, this is a momentous occasion. Life is dreadfully short, Ald, you should celebrate while you can.”

Ald blinked a few times then arched a brow. “You’ve got something planned, don’t you?”

“A contingency plan, but it does require your cooperation to go into effect.”

“It is a surprise?” Ald asked, a bit of excitement creeping into his voice.

“In part. We’ll be visiting the Killik mounds, the Oroboro nest specifically. I received Vector Hyllus’ contact information from your aunt. He will be our guide. We won’t be there long enough to become joiners, but we will be able to enjoy our time there.”

“I’m actually a bit excited.”

Malavai smiled. “I should hope so.”

Ald smiled back. “Shall we continue our bath?”

“The water’s getting cold.”

“I think I can help with that.”

“And here I thought I was insatiable.”

Notes:

With my own birthday coming up, I decided to write about Ald's. Ald never celebrates his birthday, which isn't actually his day of birth. The day he considers his birthday is the day he became Aldrdinar. Ald doesn't remember his actual name anymore, so looking up records is more effort than he willing to make for a life he knew little about.

As far as Quinn knows, the date in Ald's files is his birthday. Ald hasn't told him otherwise. Yet, anyway.

Edited by irishfino

Cross-post from the SFC. Hoping the rest makes its way out of my brain soon...

Reunion

Ald and Malavai were out for a day’s adventuring in the shops on the House Thul grounds. It was a rather nice day, nothing like the crisp cool air of Spring to bring a chill to the bones, but that was nothing a nice hot cuppa couldn’t fix. He was very relaxed, sitting there at the tea shop’s outdoor seating across from Malavai who was busy explaining the day’s events. The first stop, of course, was for tea at the little shop Ald had noticed when they visited Alderaan those years ago. He didn’t have time then, but he had the time now and it was nice to have that time. He was able to put aside being a Wrath, if only for a little while, and enjoy a cup of tea. When they were finished with their tea, and Malavai with his itinerary detail, they paid and bill and left. Time for a leisurely stroll to the shuttles, though Ald argued it was hardly leisurely if it were planned. Malavai ignored him, of course, and continued on his way. Ald shook his head, amused and exasperated with the man.

“Da’nath!” shouted a voice.

Ald froze in his tracks. The voice shouted again, closer this time. He was paralyzed. That voice was familiar and that word – it sounded like a name. The hustle and bustle of the people around him faded into the distance. He heard and felt things in his bubble, but outside of that and he was dead to the world.

“Da’nath?” the voice asked. It was right behind him now. “Is… that really you?”

He didn’t want to turn around. He didn’t have to. Malavai was there running interference against whoever this was who dare step to the Wrath in such a matter and how dare they presume they know who he was. He could hear feet shuffling and that voice, that voice he couldn’t quite place was pleading with Malavai for an audience. Malavai was having none of it. But Ald was curious. And filled with terror. He turned toward the voice and called off his Imperial to allow him time to study this person. It was a female. Normal height, slight build, blonde hair, grey eyes. Nothing special. No one special.

“As Captain Quinn here,” Ald said as he pointed to Malavai, “has stated, I am not this ‘Da’nath.’ I am Darth Aldridinar, Emperor’s Wrath and I am currently on a short holiday. If you require assistance, find the nearest Imperial station, and let them know.”

“You’ve cut your hair,” the woman said quietly.

“Madam, I do not know you. You are interrupting my private time. Desist this immediately.”

The woman fretted with her hands. “You don’t remember me; of course you don’t remember me. How could you remember me? And after what I did. What your father talked me into. Oh, Da’nath. I – I – I know it’s you. A mother never forgets the face of her child. I’m so sorry, Da’nath.”

Ald stared at the woman, his face blank and closed. No sane person would claim what she claimed. No sane person would approach the Wrath and demand an audience. No sane person would want to be his mother.

“What is your name, woman?” Ald asked stiffly. Malavai arched a brow, but remained silent.

“Katri, my Lord,” she replied quietly. “Katri Sto.”

The name resonated with a memory, a very distant memory. From before the Jungles, before the Brute, before the changes.

“My Lord, we are falling behind schedule,” Malavai said insistently. “We should have departed five minutes ago.”

Ald glanced at Malavai then back at Katri.

“Run a scan, Captain. If this woman’s claims are true, we can reschedule. This is more important if true, don’t you agree?”

Ald’s tone brooked no room for argument and Malavai was wise enough not to disagree with Ald in public unless the circumstances were extreme. This was minor. And when this was dealt with, the woman would be dealt with. Malavai did as he was asked, pulled his medical scanner from a pouch on his belt, and scanned the woman then Ald. The device dinged and displayed the results.

“I – my Lord,” Malavai started.

“What is it, Captain?” Ald asked calmly.

“Her claims are true,” Malavai said simply.

Ald could have fainted.

• 4 weeks later...
Where have Ald and Quinn been? Their story has fallen to page 3! I take they are site seeing on Makeb too much :(

Oh, they've been on Makeb. I have some neat shots of an error where Quinn did not run when Ald got too close. They are, in effect, hugging and very nearly kissing. I have them posted and I can message you a link if you'd like. I will say that the site is notorious for tumbling things and Aldrdinar is very silly and Quinn is very stiff. And it's about Ald's life.

^__^

Oh, they've been on Makeb. I have some neat shots of an error where Quinn did not run when Ald got too close. They are, in effect, hugging and very nearly kissing. I have them posted and I can message you a link if you'd like. I will say that the site is notorious for tumbling things and Aldrdinar is very silly and Quinn is very stiff. And it's about Ald's life.

^__^

Your Quinn can be jealous with Ald Flirts with Lord Cytharat? :p

^__^

That would be fun! I"m enjoying your Talos stories as well, so if any other of Ald's relatives want to fall in love with companions I like, I won't complain ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Your Quinn can be jealous with Ald Flirts with Lord Cytharat? :p

He is so very jealous. He, of course, uses his best blank face, but I know. I know.

That would be fun! I"m enjoying your Talos stories as well, so if any other of Ald's relatives want to fall in love with companions I like, I won't complain ;)

I looooove Talos. I'm tempted to spin those two into their own thread, but I have so many stories going at the same time... I'd be crazy to start up another, lol.

A Gift of Silk and Oddity

Malavai wasn’t happy. They were back at the little tea place and Ald was listening to the woman quite intently. She was nervous, as she should be, but still breathing, as she shouldn’t be. At least in his humble opinion.

He stood behind Ald in his usual parade rest stance and watched the woman with his best neutral face. She shied away from his look and he could only hope that it was the look in his eyes that turned her gaze elsewhere. He did often practice the blazing eyed neutral face. He would never admit that openly, of course, but he did.

When the woman started in on Ald’s father, Ald dismissed him. Yes, Ald was Sith, and, yes, he was powerful, but this woman had the power to tear him down and rip out his very foundation for being and not even realize it. He didn’t want to leave Ald alone with her, not for one damned moment, but he was dismissed. He left, as was his duty as an officer, but he hated it, as was his role as Ald’s partner. It was an interesting balance between the two. So interesting and engrossing it was nerve-racking and draining. It was fulfilling, of course, that couldn’t be denied.

He decided to wander the shops in the market. Such frivolity wasn’t normally in his nature, but being dismissed, wishing to remain close, and feeling oddly frisky had him walking and looking, looking and walking. He happened upon a small shop that specialized in Killik wares and stepped inside. The woman behind the counter shot up as soon as the bell near the door dinged and ran over to him.

“Yes, yes, hello!” she said excitedly, wringing her hands in front of her and grinning. “Welcome, welcome to my shop. I have many Killik things. Items. Membrosia, silk, carapaces if it pleases. Many things!”

Malavai smiled at her and he swore she swooned. She was a bit fidgety, small, and pale, but she seemed reliable if not a little off-kilter. Whatever she had done to acquire such a variety of goods must have had an effect on her mind. Partial exposure to Killik pheromones perhaps.

“You mentioned silk,” he said, eyeing the store and its goods. Killik weapons of various size and shape, carapaces from the very small, which were housed in cases, to the very large, which were eerie to stare at for too long. Small pods of various size lined one shelf labeled “Membrosia” while another shelf housed a variety of silks.

“Only the finest here!” she said exuberantly. “Hand woven shirts for the most fancy of parties, night clothes for men and women, a few delightful piece of undergarment for more intimate affairs, sheets, pillow cases, wonderful little eye covers for sleeping in the dark. Everything, everything to be made by hand and of silk I have, yes.”

“What would you recommend for a Sith Lord who isn’t very fashion conscious, but enjoys the coolness silk can offer?”

“Male or female?”

“Male.”

She grinned from ear to ear, turned, and signaled for him to follow. He was very careful not to bump any racks or any frightfully tall and creepy carapaces as he followed her through the cramped shop. She did seem to have a bit of everything, everywhere. The woman knew her shop and her customers well. She lead him right to a table stacked with silks and, rather than let him pick a set for himself, she picked one for him. It was neatly folded and a deep Merlot in color. He was surprised and even more so surprised when she giggled.

“You like it, yes?” she asked, still grinning that grin of hers.

“It’s quite nice,” he replied.

“Take them,” she said, thrusting the silk into his chest.

He grabbed it quickly and nodded. “How much?”

“Take, take,” she insisted. “I know when I have a customer for life.”

He arched a brow. “Do you do this for all of your customers?”

“Only the special ones. Now, go. You partner will enjoy the sheets.” She paused and grinned impossibly wider at his curious expression. “No one buys sheets for a Sith unless they share a bed.”

He nearly turned as red as the sheets he clutched against his chest. The shopkeeper only giggled and waved him toward the door.

“Come back and tell Glinda how they worked, yes?”

“I – of course.”

She continued grinning at him until he turned around and, even then, he was sure she was still grinning that strange grin of hers. When he was outside the door she stopped him, thrust a bag in his face, then disappeared back behind her counter to wait for the next customer or for his return, whichever came first. He was grateful for the bag as it would have looked mighty strange to walk around with a set of silk linens. He made his way back to the table he had left Ald and found him alone and staring into nothing.

He carefully approached the table. “My Lord?”

Ald gave a start and blinked rapidly a few times. Malavai sat down in the chair next to Ald, carefully avoiding the chair the woman had previously occupied. He set his package on the table and waited.

“What’s that?” Ald asked, pointing at the bag on the table.

“Something I found in a shop. How did your conversation go after my dismissal?” There was no accusation in his tone, but Ald shifted his gaze to him and frowned.

“You were making her nervous. I wanted her to speak freely.”

“I meant nothing by my question, my Lord.”

“As you say.” Ald paused and considered his words carefully. “I… have a brother,” Ald said quietly. “They had another kid after me with very similar results except he – except he was blind. To the Force, that is.”

“They dared to think they were capable of having another child?” Malavai asked hotly.

“I asked her something similar. She didn’t have a good answer, only that she was desperate to have another child, another chance.”

“Where in the Empire did they live? How did no one notice a Force gifted child disappear from a Force-blind family?”

“I don’t know. Every bit of information I tried to uncover had either vanished or never existed. I was an unregistered Force-sensitive at the very least.”

“I am utterly astounded at the gall, my Lord. They sire a child who is Force gifted, never register him, delete his records, and dump him in the jungle when he’s too difficult to handle. Not only that, but they go on to have more children.”

“She was regretful, at least. That’s… enough for now. I have her frequency should I feel the urge to speak with her further, but, for now, I am rather tired.” He frowned a little harder. “Apologies.”

Malavai shook his head. “You’ve done nothing wrong. As it is, I do have a rather nice gift for you for such an occasion. Tiredness, that is, not finding a family member who abandoned you.” Ald sputtered a laugh and Malavai offered a very small half smile. “Come, we will retire to the suite and I will show you what I have.”

Malavai stood from the table and waited. Ald was slow to stand, his legs a bit numb from sitting for so long.

“I didn’t take you for one who shopped,” Ald said lightly.

“Call it a fit of whimsy. Which reminds me, the owner of the shop sent me on my way with this at no charge, but she is rather sure she has a customer for life. I must admit I am eager to return to her after giving you the gift to validate her instincts.”

“She sounds strange.”

“She was.”

Ald laughed at Malavai bluntness as he led the way back to their suite. He was tired now and it was barely past the noon hour. He would have Malavai inform Vector of their shift in plans. He was sure the Joiner wouldn’t mind the extra time at home, but leaving a Host without his guests was rude and Ald was anything but.

Edited by irishfino

• 1 month later...
Ehehe, quirky shopkeepers embarrassing Quinn can never not be funny, and I love how you worked in the detail of one of his actual in-game gifts.

Weird shopkeeps are the best. I want to try to work in the other gifts he gives in-game, but I have no idea how that'll happen, lol.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Anniversary

“My Lord,” Quinn said as he entered the room.

Ald rolled over to his side, stretched, and smiled. “That was an amazing nap.”

“No dreams?”

“No, not yet anyway.”

“Perhaps, this year, you won’t have any.”

“Did you get what I asked?”

“Yes.”

“And the arrangements are made?”

“Did you expect any less of me?” Quinn asked, quirking an eyebrow.

Ald smiled. “Of course not. You’re my answer man.” He ignored Quinn’s eye twitch at that comment. “Shall we?”

“Once you get dressed, yes.”

“I like sleeping naked,” Ald said with a grin of impossibly pearly white teeth.

Quinn blinked at him, turned on his heel and left. Ald giggled to himself. The man was still stiff in ways, but he had gotten better. A little, at least. Sort of. He was still exacting though and, today of all days, Ald needed that. He needed Quinn’s stability to help him get through this.

It wasn’t every day you shot someone’s remains into orbit.

“Are you ready, my Lord?” Quinn asked. His finger was poised over the release button. He was ready. He was more than ready to move on with their lives.

Ald wasn’t. Or, rather, this method of disposal didn’t feel right. It didn’t feel right to leave them drifting in space.

“Change of plans,” Ald said quietly.

Quinn dropped his hand and nodded. He knew Ald would change his mind. He always did when it came to her. As always, he had a back-up plan. He informed Ald of this and was a bit disappointed when he only agreed with half of the plan. The other half he said he would take care of himself. Quinn didn’t like it one bit.

Later in the evening he approached Ald as Malavai, his lover and confidant. He found Ald sitting on the bed in their shared quarters on the Fury.

“Will this help?” Malavai asked quietly. “Disposing of her this way, I mean.”

“She wasn’t trash, Malavai,” Ald replied stiffly.

Malavai sighed and moved toward the bed. “I’m not implying she was. Unfortunately, when dealing with remains, there is no gentle way to put the handling of them. You dispose of them like trash because they are a shell that formerly contained someone you may have cared for.”

“You’re quite cold.”

“She tried to kill me.”

“She failed.”

“She only failed because of that modified virus. Technically, I still died. I’m still not the man I was before then.”

“But you’re alive. That’s all that matters. Right?”

Malavai quirked his lips up and sat down next to Ald. “I am alive, mostly healthy, and very happy.” He put his hand on Ald’s knee. “I know this is hard and I have no words to take away the pain you feel at doing this, but I will say this: I am here when you need me.”

“That means a lot to me.”

“I should hope so. It’s quite painful for heartfelt words to fall on deaf ears.”

Ald chuckled for a moment then sobered. “It really hurts,” he said quietly, his voice thickening with tears.

“I know.”

Ald wasn’t sure how he felt about all this. He left her there. He buried her with a sapling and left her there. She would live on, in a way, but he still felt strange about leaving her there. She had started this journey with him before he left Korriban.

It was Malavai who had the idea to have a drink. Some sort of glowing, blue Chiss vodka. It reminded him of her.

Ald raised his shot glass. “To Vette,” he said.

Malavai hesitated for a moment then raised his glass and replied in kind. They knocked back their drinks and coughed in unison. It was very strong vodka.

“Sweet stars,” Ald said with a chuckling cough. “That is strong.”

“That’s the point of it, isn’t it?” Malavai asked stiffly. He cleared his throat a few times to stop the burning. It didn’t help much.

“You know, I’ve never seen you drunk.”

“You never will.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“My Lord, with all due respect, I would drink you under the table and then some.”

“It’s a challenge.”

Malavai grabbed the bottle and poured another shot for them both. He knocked it back and smiled at Ald.

“It’s on, Quinn,” Ald said with a toothy grin.

“I’m Quinn now?” Malavai chuckled. He poured another shot and knocked it back. “You should catch up if you hope to win your own challenge, my Lord.”

Ald reached across the table and snatched the bottle from Malavai. “You’re going down.”

“Are you coming on to me?”

“Yes.”

“I’m in a relationship.”

Ald cackled and downed another shot.

It wasn’t every day you buried a friend. And Ald was thankful for that. Also this vodka. He was really thankful for this vodka.

• 4 months later...