The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 05: Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Plo Koon

Aurbere

Welcome to the fifth match in our tournament! Our previous match saw Shaak Ti defeat Luminara Unduli through superior skill and cunning. But onto the next.

Our next battle is between Jedi Master Plo Koon and Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

(For the purpose of this analysis, we are to believe that Qui-Gon Jinn is as he is in The Phantom Menace, as that is the best example of his skills)

Battlefield: Naboo Swamps

Lightsaber skill:

Qui-Gon Jinn:

Qui-Gon Jinn was renowned as one of the finest lightsaber duelists in the Jedi Order. He was a master of the fourth form of lightsaber combat, and displayed incredible mastery with it. He proved capable of easily defending himself against multiple enemies and blaster-wielding foes, indicating that he has virtually eliminated two of Ataru's weaknesses.

In combat, Qui-Gon Jinn used wide and powerful two-handed strikes, coupled with sudden flourishes to defend himself. However, due to the limits of his age, Qui-Gon Jinn mostly abandoned the acrobatic techniques of Ataru, instead relying on his intuition and experience. His defense was strong, but not as strong as it could be due to his study in Ataru.

However, Qui-Gon Jinn, despite his mastery of Ataru, was still saddled with a few of its weaknesses. He suffered from a weakened defense, and inefficiency in close quarters. These two weaknesses, together with fatigue from a drawn out duel, led to his untimely demise against Sith Lord Darth Maul.

Plo Koon:

Jedi Master Plo Koon was widely acknowledged as one of the greatest lightsaber duelists in the Jedi Order. He was a master of the Djem So form, a form known for powerful strikes and a strong defense followed by a powerful counterattack. However, Djem So practitioners are often lacking in mobility.

His mastery of Djem So was such that he was able to defeat Asajj Ventress while suffering from a broken arm, and match the skills of Nightbrother Savage Oppres.

Edge: There is no doubt that Qui-Gon Jinn is incredibly skilled. However, the weaknesses of his lightsaber form can be easily exploited by Plo Koon's Djem So. Plo Koon is the superior duelist here, though not by a large margin.

Physicality:

Qui-Gon Jinn:

Qui-Gon Jinn, despite being past his physical prime, remains a capable fighter. Even though he has mostly abandoned the acrobatic skills of Ataru in lightsaber combat, he remains a skilled acrobatic. He also applied kicks and punches to his form, indicating some skill in hand-to-hand combat.

However, Qui-Gon Jinn is still an elder Jedi. Because of his increased age, Qui-Gon Jinn tires over a long battle, which contributed to his defeat at the hands of Darth Maul.

Plo Koon:

Jedi Master Plo Koon is an aging Jedi Master. However, he remains physically very strong. As a Kel Dor, he possesses the advantages and disadvantages of his people. His hide is very thick, allowing him to withstand extreme temperatures, and even the vacuum of space. Plo Koon's extrasensory organs on his head also provide him with advanced reflexes, which would only be heightened by his Jedi training.

However, he also has his physical weaknesses. In comparison to other species, Plo Koon has a weakened constitution, which means that his bodily health is weaker than certain other species. His antiox breath mask is also a notable weakness. Should his breath mask be removed, he would slowly die from suffocation. This was used against him by Savage Opress.

Edge: While Plo Koon's mask is a severe weakness, because Qui-Gon Jinn is a Jedi and deeply in tune with the Living Force, it is unlikely that this weakness will come into play. The edge goes to Plo Koon, as Qui-Gon still falls prey to the limits of his age.

Mentality:

Qui-Gon Jinn:

Qui-Gon Jinn was considered a maverick by his peers. His dedication to the Force and devotion to the belief of the Living Force, he often went against the Jedi Council and the Jedi Code. It was for these reasons that Qui-Gon Jinn was regarded as a Gray Jedi and not allowed on the Jedi Council, despite his renown in the Jedi Order and his close relationships to many of the Council's members.

In combat, Qui-Gon Jinn relied more on his intuition and experience. However, he often focused more on the "here and now," leading to a lack of forethought. Also, Qui-Gon Jinn's master Count Dooku had created a series of lightsaber movements that were always effective against Jinn. This either points to Qui-Gon Jinn being predictable, or Count Dooku's skill.

Plo Koon:

Plo Koon shared the same beliefs as his fellow Kel Dor- a sense of 'rough justice.' His species mainly saw issues in terms of white and black, and were often overly retributive to certain situations. One example being that a man was executed for theft. Plo Koon's sense of rough justice caused many to consider him bordering on being a vigilante.

Because of these beliefs, Plo Koon betrayed Ahsoka Tano, whom he had a close bond with, when she was accused of treason.

In combat, Plo Koon was level-headed and calm. He devoted several years to developing a calm mind.

Edge: Qui-Gon Jinn's lack of forethought in combat, and possible predictability, are severe mental handicaps against the unflappably calm mentality of Plo Koon.

Force Powers:

Qui-Gon Jinn:

Qui-Gon Jinn has a very strong connection to the Living Force. He often uses the Force to augment his physical capabilities, allowing him to defy his age to give him superior acrobatic abilities. He also possessed skill in telekinesis, however when he applied these skills in combat, he often dropped his guard to do so.

He was a skilled telepathic, able to reach out with the Force to communicate with willing subjects. However, it is unknown whether or not he is able to do so against unwilling subjects. His skill in telepathy also extended to his use of mind trick. Unfortunately, mind trick resistant species' such as Toydarians and Hutts are unaffected by his mind tricks.

As previously mentioned, Qui-Gon Jinn is a devout follower of the Living Force. In combat, he rarely used the Force offensively. He preferred to let the Force work through him and use him as a tool, rather than the other way around. However, when he did use his powers in combat, they were usually very powerful.

Plo Koon:

Jedi Master Plo Koon possessed a wide range of abilities. He possessed incredible telekinetic skill as he was able to move objects without facing them.

He was also a powerful telepath, able to communicate with his neice Sha Koon from lightyears away. He was also able to infiltrate the mind of Iaco Stark and listen in on his plans.

Plo Koon also had an expert knowledge of the physical world, and was able to manipulate the environment around him. This allowed him to summon dense fogs, create small whirlwinds, freeze rivers and lakes, and raise or decrease temperatures. His knowledge of physics allows him to use these abilities quickly, and gave him a broad range of methods to use it for.

Plo Koon was also a user of Force lightning, which he called Electric Judgment. However, this ability was used once, and for passive reasons. It is an option for him, but it is unlikely that he will use it here.

In addition to his Jedi abilities, Plo Koon was also a member of the Baran Do Sages, and studied many of their abilities, particularly those of the hassat-dur family. However, these abilities are not applicable in combat, and thus it is unlikely for them to be of use here.

Edge: Overall, Qui-Gon Jinn has an incredible connection to the Living Force, but does not often use his power offensively, preferring to let the Force work through him. Plo Koon has no qualms with applying his Force powers in combat. In terms of power, they are rather equal, but Plo Koon gets the edge in combative application.

(Note that when I give the edge to someone, it is just my opinion)

Who will win? Who is truly superior?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this is a spite, really all Koon needs to do is wear Qui-Gon down. As you said, he is well passed his prime if were using TPM(though using his prime it would still be a spite lol), his duel with Maul on Tatooine afterwards on the ship he was out of breath pretty much. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

<3 Aurbere. That was a bad read sorry. It felt to much like you just want Plo to win. I know he is one of your favorite characters. If they are both old and weak, why go to the trouble to point it out in Qui's case and just gloss over it in Plo's.

<3 Aurbere. That was a bad read sorry. It felt to much like you just want Plo to win. I know he is one of your favorite characters. If they are both old and weak, why go to the trouble to point it out in Qui's case and just gloss over it in Plo's.

Why? Because it is a glaring flaw in Qui-Gon Jinn's abilities. Qui-Gon uses a form that is built to be incredibly agressive, and often fatigues the user. Plo Koon does not share that same weakness. Plo Koon's form, while agressive, possesses a solid defense, giving him far more options in a standard duel.

If I thought Plo Koon would win outright, I would not have done this.

I feel like this is a spite, really all Koon needs to do is wear Qui-Gon down. As you said, he is well passed his prime if were using TPM(though using his prime it would still be a spite lol), his duel with Maul on Tatooine afterwards on the ship he was out of breath pretty much.

Probably, but then he was able to sustain a long drawn out duel with Darth Maul on Naboo, albeit with Obi-Wan at his side. However, we see several points in the duel where Qui-Gon fights maul solo, meaning he can handle himself.

Probably, but then he was able to sustain a long drawn out duel with Darth Maul on Naboo, albeit with Obi-Wan at his side. However, we see several points in the duel where Qui-Gon fights maul solo, meaning he can handle himself.

While right, he was doing that on Tatooine too. The point here being, unless Qui-Gon can finish the fight in a timely manner(which I don't see happening) and not have it be drawn out, he isn't gonna last long.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

While right, he was doing that on Tatooine too. The point here being, unless Qui-Gon can finish the fight in a timely manner(which I don't see happening) and not have it be drawn out, he isn't gonna last long.

Good point, however we have to remember that Qui-Gon Jinn was a master of Ataru (which could be considered the second most agressive form). Which means that Qui-Gon Jinn can keep Plo Koon on the defensive, coupled with his sudden flourishes to block Plo Koon's Djem So counterattack. Qui-Gon is also faster than Plo Koon.

Good point, however we have to remember that Qui-Gon Jinn was a master of Ataru (which could be considered the second most agressive form). Which means that Qui-Gon Jinn can keep Plo Koon on the defensive, coupled with his sudden flourishes to block Plo Koon's Djem So counterattack. Qui-Gon is also faster than Plo Koon.

Yes he was, but this again all goes back to his age and physical status which compared to Koon isn't great hence why if he doesn't get through to Koon he is just gonna waste himself. Its the biggest negative factor here for Qui-Gon.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Qui-Gon attacks Plo with a quick flurry which Plo easily blocks. Qui-Gon leaps over Plo's low strike and cuts for Plo's chin. Plo raises his blade and catches Qui-Gon. The maverick flips over Plo's head and kicks him in the kneecap. Plo falls, and Qui-Gon raises his lightsaber to strike Plo down. Plo rolls aside and blasts Qui-Gon with a Force push. Qui-Gon goes with the momentum and lands on his feet and throws his lightsaber. Plo blocks the saber aside and comes at Qui-Gon slowly but firmly. Qui-Gon begins to wear out, so he gets desperate. He leaps into the trees and hides from Plo. Then he gets behind Plo and beats him down with a combination of punches, kicks, and slashes. Plo stays resolutely where he is, blocking each of Qui-Gon's blows, wearing down the older Jedi. Despite this, Qui-Gon gets in a few good blows and injures Plo. Desperate, Plo brings in his electric judgment and brings Qui-Gon to a halt. Then, with a few moments' reprieve, he moves in and takes Qui-Gon down with his lightsaber.

Plo Koon wins. Kind of hate to say it, because I love Qui-Gon, but Plo is just a better fighter I believe.

Plo Koon wins. His environment-control abilities would be the downfall of Qui-Gonn. With both on their prime forms, I would give the victory Jinn, as he was considered one of the greatest duelists of the time, one of the few who could stand up against Windu, the best swordsman of the time and arguably of Galactic History. But taking Episode I as base, I don't see how Jinn can overcome Koon. They would've been a match both with force and saber skills, I think, but with Koon changing the environment, he could easily tire Jinn at an accelerated rate, opening the way for his victory.

Koon's victory on this one.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

Yes he was, but this again all goes back to his age and physical status which compared to Koon isn't great hence why if he doesn't get through to Koon he is just gonna waste himself. Its the biggest negative factor here for Qui-Gon.

That's a good point. While I put a lot of focus on Qui-Gon's faults (which are so very glaring), Qui-Gon has advantages over Plo Koon.

For one, he is faster. Djem So practitioners are noted to be slow, relying on physical strength over superior mobility. Qui-Gon Jinn, despite not using acrobatics as often as an Ataru user should, he remained very quick. When he augmented his physical self with the Force, he possessed superhuman abilities. Plo Koon has shown no such skill in this ability. While we could assume that he can, being a Jedi Guardian and all, I wouldn't assume anything.

Second, Qui-Gon Jinn possesses a greater understanding of the Force. Perhaps not combat applications (which would make this point moot), but he has an incredible understanding of the Living Force.

He is very intuitive, but he lacks in tactical knowledge. If Qui-Gon did not have this weakness, he would have a mental advantage over Plo Koon, as he also has a very well honed mind, something Plo Koon continues to work on. While Plo Koon is a very calm Jedi Master, he considered Qui-Gon of a mental superiority, and even possessed vigilantism. Had Qui-Gon more developed his tactical forethought, he would beat Plo Koon in the mentality category.

I sound like I'm making excuses :p /sigh

Qui-Gon attacks Plo with a quick flurry which Plo easily blocks. Qui-Gon leaps over Plo's low strike and cuts for Plo's chin. Plo raises his blade and catches Qui-Gon. The maverick flips over Plo's head and kicks him in the kneecap. Plo falls, and Qui-Gon raises his lightsaber to strike Plo down. Plo rolls aside and blasts Qui-Gon with a Force push. Qui-Gon goes with the momentum and lands on his feet and throws his lightsaber. Plo blocks the saber aside and comes at Qui-Gon slowly but firmly. Qui-Gon begins to wear out, so he gets desperate. He leaps into the trees and hides from Plo. Then he gets behind Plo and beats him down with a combination of punches, kicks, and slashes. Plo stays resolutely where he is, blocking each of Qui-Gon's blows, wearing down the older Jedi. Despite this, Qui-Gon gets in a few good blows and injures Plo. Desperate, Plo brings in his electric judgment and brings Qui-Gon to a halt. Then, with a few moments' reprieve, he moves in and takes Qui-Gon down with his lightsaber.

Plo Koon wins. Kind of hate to say it, because I love Qui-Gon, but Plo is just a better fighter I believe.

Interesting scenario, however, I doubt Electric Judgment will come into play here. Plo Koon has only used it once (though he says he wouldn't ignore). But the scenario is plausible.

Plo Koon wins. His environment-control abilities would be the downfall of Qui-Gonn. With both on their prime forms, I would give the victory Jinn, as he was considered one of the greatest duelists of the time, one of the few who could stand up against Windu, the best swordsman of the time and arguably of Galactic History. But taking Episode I as base, I don't see how Jinn can overcome Koon. They would've been a match both with force and saber skills, I think, but with Koon changing the environment, he could easily tire Jinn at an accelerated rate, opening the way for his victory.

Koon's victory on this one.

I took Qui-Gon Jinn from TPM because it gives us the best example of Qui-Gon Jinn's fighting style and physical capabilities. However, I would like to advise everyone that you should take all of Qui-Gon's abilities into account. That includes his ability to duel with Mace Windu evenly.

Basically, it is Qui-Gon in TPM, but we can consider all of Qui-Gon's skills.

Edit: *Bites tongue at Marcel's post* Nvrm not the thread..

Anyway, Aurbere while right he would be faster that speed is only going to help him for so long and eventually he is gonna be worn down(which won't take long).

That's a good point. Simply put, I think Qui-Gon has the advantage early on and could actually win if the duel goes his way in the early game, but if the duel does drag out, Qui-Gon's advantage is gone.

Basically, Qui-Gon has to be very agressive in order win, but this works against him over time.

I just want to clear something up here.

Qui-Gon Jinn is equal, if not superior, to Plo Koon in lightsaber skill. His only downfall is that he is physically impaired. In this sense, Plo Koon is physically superior, but Qui-Gon may be more skilled (if he isn't equal to Plo Koon).

I just don't see any chance of Qui-Gonn defeating Koon that fast. Only if he manages to worn out his oxfilter, but that's unlikely to happen.

Edit: *Bites tongue at Marcel's post* Nvrm not the thread.

Why that?

Edited by marcelo_sdk

I just don't see any chance of Qui-Gonn defeating Koon that fast. Only if he manages to worn out his oxfilter, but that's unlikely to happen.

Why that?

Apart of your post just stuck out at me, has nothing to do with the battle though hence the holding back. In fact, it also made me come to a realization so thanks.

Apart of your post just stuck out at me, has nothing to do with the battle though hence the holding back. In fact, it also made me come to a realization so thanks.

You're welcome :D

But I just asked out of curiosity, I was not shure if that was a good or bad thing, but if it's off-topic, let's move on.

For one, he is faster. Djem So practitioners are noted to be slow, relying on physical strength over superior mobility. Qui-Gon Jinn, despite not using acrobatics as often as an Ataru user should, he remained very quick. When he augmented his physical self with the Force, he possessed superhuman abilities. Plo Koon has shown no such skill in this ability. While we could assume that he can, being a Jedi Guardian and all, I wouldn't assume anything.

Alter Environment gets rid of this advantage. Make the ground soft or quicksand-like around Jinn, or make the ground simply go into the water (it's a swamp:D). This would also tire him out as he would have to be constantly moving to evade the altering environment.

Alter Environment gets rid of this advantage. Make the ground soft or quicksand-like around Jinn, or make the ground simply go into the water (it's a swamp:D). This would also tire him out as he would have to be constantly moving to evade the altering environment.

There are several issues with that (while I applaud your creativity :)).

Firstly, I do not believe that one can turn the ground into something quicksand-ish. It could be possible, but I don't think so. But even so, this would hurt Plo Koon just as much as he would have less room to move.

Secondly, he can't force the ground to go into the water. He can, however, draw the water out of the swampy ground to accomplish the same effect. Again, though, this affects Plo Koon just as much.

Plo Koon can, however, freeze the water that surrounds him, limiting Qui-Gon's movements. However, it is likely that this would distract Plo Koon (if only momentarily), which would give Qui-Gon an opening to strike.

We should also remember that Qui-Gon Jinn fights with his intuition, which means that he adapts to the flow of battle. While Qui-Gon Jinn lacks tactical forethought, he is a smart duelist.

Edited by Aurbere

There are several issues with that (while I applaud your creativity :)).

Firstly, I do not believe that one can turn the ground into something quicksand-ish. It could be possible, but I don't think so. But even so, this would hurt Plo Koon just as much as he would have less room to move.

Secondly, he can't force the ground to go into the water. He can, however, draw the water out of the swampy ground to accomplish the same effect. Again, though, this affects Plo Koon just as much.

Plo Koon can, however, freeze the water that surrounds him, limiting Qui-Gon's movements. However, it is likely that this would distract Plo Koon (if only momentarily), which would give Qui-Gon an opening to strike.

We should also remember that Qui-Gon Jinn fights with his intuition, which means that he adapts to the flow of battle. While Qui-Gon Jinn lacks tactical forethought, he is a smart duelist.

Canino exagerated a little the effects, but his idea is right. The power to change the environment would be decisive for Koon to win. He doesn't need anything drastic like turning the water to ice, he just needs a subtle thing, like making the air more heavy by evaporating some water and increasing the air moisture. That would break Qui-Gonn even more quiclkly, and Koon would feel nothing due to his oxfilter. But even if he choses to do something more drastic, I don't think it would had any major effects on him, assuming he was a master with this tecnic.

Well his only feat with Alter environment that I could find show him doing, is moving clouds to provide cover.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48765/2683152-new_picture__2_.jpg

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48765/2683153-new_picture__3_.jpg

There is also the bit, that he can make fog or ice.

A Kel Dor, Plo Koon can control the environment to create fog or ice.

--Taken from The Ultimate Visual Guide

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

In particular, he used his expert knowledge of physics along with the Force to alter the environment—the resourceful Jedi could create small whirlwinds as well as a dense fog over a limited area, freeze tiny rivers and lakes, and raise or lower the temperature of his surroundings enough to incapacitate an opponent.

Plo Koon's Wookieepedia article

I haven't read this until now, but that's exactly what I said. By changing the air moisture he could incapacitate the targets, what would be even more critical to Qui-Gonn.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

Wait, when did Savage Oppress exploit Plo Koon's breathing mask weakness, or even face him for that matter?

But anyway, concerning Alter Enviroment - I doubt its going to come into play here seeing as it needs a deal of concentration of Koon's part, something Jinn's aggressive style will not permit.

Query: Are you sure Koon is a master of Djem So? I've come across several (while not exactly reputable) sources stating he was a master of Shien... although it would seem plausible that he was a master of Form V as a whole.

But either way, I think your right to say that Plo Koon would win this. And I agree with the edges you've given.