Item Levels

OneCreation

Hi,

Is it possible to make a high level item a lower level item? I know that a item becomes a higher level when you place better modifications on it. But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..

yer some item have a certain field which the player needs to fill in order to use or wear the item like your said helmet you need to be level 30 to wear if you play as a jedi some lightsabers require you be light side points 1 or dark side points 1 stuff like that also i think if you happen to put lvl 45 mods into a lvl 30 helm then the helm would then need you to be lvl 45 for you to wear it.

if this makes sense great if not im sorry :) hope it helped :)

Hi,

Is it possible to make a high level item a lower level item? I know that a item becomes a higher level when you place better modifications on it. But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..

You're looking at the wrong thing. As a hypothetical example, let's say you had a level 30 helmet that was modifiable and you removed a mod and replaced it with a level 11 mod (which actually costs you credits if you really remove it). If the level 30 mod had a +18 cunning, +30 endurance, and the level 11 had a +2 cunning, +3 endurance, then your cunning went down by -16 and your endurance went down -27, so that helmet just bought you a whole lot less protection than it did with the higher level mod. Higher level mods make a given piece of modifiable equipment better/more powerful. The requirement that you must be at least a Level X to wear it does not factor into this. It will always be a Level 30 piece of equipment--just not provide you that level of protection.

This begs the question. WHY would you want to do such a thing? If it's bound to you, you can't use it anywhere else, so you can't give it to an alt, for example. It costs you, one way or another, to do this, either in a destroyed higher level mod or in credits, and it lowers your protection. I'm not seeing an upside here.

Edited by MSchuyler

But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..

I know it doesnt make sense, but that is working as intended

Most moddable items, even ones that are stripped of all mods, have level requirements of their own. Crafted moddable items have no mods at all, but that crafted item can be level 11, level 20, level 30, or level 48. And as you have found you can buy a level 30 helmet with level 29 mods, and even after you strip it of all mods, the helmet still has its own level requirement.

The criteria for being able to wear an item will be determined by the highest level requirement in it. Whether that higher level is from a mod (which will override the helmets level requirement) or the helmet itself (if you try to put a low level mod in it, like you did OP).

This begs the question. WHY would you want to do such a thing? If it's bound to you, you can't use it anywhere else, so you can't give it to an alt, for example. It costs you, one way or another, to do this, either in a destroyed higher level mod or in credits, and it lowers your protection. I'm not seeing an upside here.

Because that means if it werent this way, every single piece of moddable armor, crafted, from drops, from operations, pvp, whatever...would be have a level 1 requirement if it were stripped down. I'm guessing they wanted to keep some armor unique by giving it a higher level requirement or having it require PVP rank and stuff like that. Cartel Market armor is the exception to this rule, but you are paying real money, or usually a lot of creds for those level 1 adaptives (unless it's a covert chest of which there are 20 pages worth on the GTN).

Because that means if it werent this way, every single piece of moddable armor, crafted, from drops, from operations, pvp, whatever...would be have a level 1 requirement if it were stripped down. I'm guessing they wanted to keep some armor unique by giving it a higher level requirement or having it require PVP rank and stuff like that. Cartel Market armor is the exception to this rule, but you are paying real money, or usually a lot of creds for those level 1 adaptives (unless it's a covert chest of which there are 20 pages worth on the GTN).

My fault for not explaining myself. The part I'm having difficulty understanding is why someone would want to level DOWN a piece of gear by installing "smaller" mods in it. if you could give it to one of your other characters, I could see doing it, but if it's stuck on you, i.e. bound, then I don't see the point.

Yes, puttng different mods (regardless of level) in the piece will bind it to you. But he could do it the other way around: mail it to a lower level character who could then change the mods to something more appropriate. Though as others have said, the level requirement is probably in the shell, not the mods, so it would still retain its higher level requirement, even with lower level mods in it.

My fault for not explaining myself. The part I'm having difficulty understanding is why someone would want to level DOWN a piece of gear by installing "smaller" mods in it. if you could give it to one of your other characters, I could see doing it, but if it's stuck on you, i.e. bound, then I don't see the point.

Well, it's just a guess, but one reason might be that you really like the look of the piece, but aren't of a high enough level to use it yet?

Well, it's just a guess, but one reason might be that you really like the look of the piece, but aren't of a high enough level to use it yet?

This is very common for me. My Sniper, for example, its only lvl 25 but i wish i could use the "then kilometer killer" sniper rifle, for the good looking. No chance. Must wait up for lvl 48 to use it because its "skeleton" have lvl req too.

I wander why devs have put lvl requeriments on the "skeleton" orange gear, maybe are because of the craft materials? Or their schematics? Or maybe its just to dont allow everyone has every look from start, needing improbe their chars on the game to "earn" the given piece requeriments...

Personally I think it's good that you have to earn things, and that is a good reason to do things the way they currently do. It's more satisfying that way, rather than just having everything you want right at the beginning. Of course they undercut that a little by also having cool-looking stuff in the Cartel Market available for real money. But hey, if it keeps the game alive then so be it.

But the piece has a level requirement all its own, even with no mods installed and a negligible protection value, Changing the mods would not change the level at all. Plus, how would you get a level 30 piece when you are a level 11? I've seen a mod itself dropped that is a single level above me that I could save until I went up +1, but I've never seen a level 30 piece drop to a level 11 toon.

I wish OP would come back and explain, just for curiosity's sake. I know it's not an earthshaking problem.

Changing the mods would not change the level at all.

Yes, I know, that's why he's asking if it is somehow possible to change the level of it, seeing as merely ripping the mods out doesn't do that. As we know, this is not possible, but he was asking if it was.

Plus, how would you get a level 30 piece when you are a level 11?.

Maybe he saw it on another player, liked it, and searched for it on the GTN? Maybe he has a higher level alt that got it as a drop, and he wanted to send it to his lower level alt?

Edited by PLynkes

There's also the Cartel Market. It's possible to buy stuff before you're at a level to use it. There are several higher-level armor sets in the Equipment section that require Level 31. However, they say this up-front, so there really shouldn't be any sort of confusion on that front.

But the piece has a level requirement all its own, even with no mods installed and a negligible protection value, Changing the mods would not change the level at all. Plus, how would you get a level 30 piece when you are a level 11? I've seen a mod itself dropped that is a single level above me that I could save until I went up +1, but I've never seen a level 30 piece drop to a level 11 toon.

I wish OP would come back and explain, just for curiosity's sake. I know it's not an earthshaking problem.

You can buy gear higher then your level from the GTN...

In fact some of the drops are so common in certain brackets that you will see a bunch of the same items on the GTN. Since those drops are so common you will see them going for dirt cheap on the GTN, cheap enough so that a low level can afford it. You wont see a level 30 item drop for your level 11, and you cant go to the Belsavis Commendation Vendor/Mod Commendation Vendor in the Fleet and buy level 43 stuff with your comms at level 11. You cant even buy level 43 stuff from those vendors as a level 42.

but being able to wear it, as we've been discussing is another matter

Edited by swtonewbie

I think base adapative shell gear that has no base stats should all be availlble to use at level 1 as essentially it is just purchased for looks at that stage, like the items on the cartel market or social vendors. It's the Mods, armourings and enhancments to buy or craft that should be leveled.

Alot of non adaptive (Does not armour up with the armouring upgardes) orange gear and certainly moddable purple gear has got base stats even without any mods, and hence why the shelll is item levelled to the equivlent green/blue gear.

I guess the argument would be to make all gear that can be moddable true adpative shell gear with no stats added when it has no mods. Thus all moddable gear can be used at Level 1 as it is all truely adpative.

I think you should be allowed to remove all the mods of a orange piece which should take its stats back to zero and item level back to 1 and then e-mail it to lower levels, without it becoming bound in the process. Basically the item level of the moddable gear should be the same as the highest mod, armouring or enhancment level that is in it hence level 1 when there is nothing there.

I think base adapative shell gear that has no base stats should all be availlble to use at level 1 as essentially it is just purchased for looks at that stage, like the items on the cartel market or social vendors. It's the Mods, armourings and enhancments to buy or craft that should be leveled.

I dunno...we've already got people wearing CM gear which allows them to wear non traditional gear for their class. SW wearing CM BH gear, BH wearing CM inquisitor gear, and consulars and JK's running around in dancer outfits. Customization is good, but what you are suggesting sounds like unrestricted customization. It might just be me but that doesnt seem very "Star Wars" to me...of course we are already halfway there with all the dancing and half naked outfits, so not like it can get any worse.

I was just wondering though, what did you mean by this?

Alot of non adaptive (Does not armour up with the armouring upgardes) orange gear and certainly moddable purple gear has got base stats even without any mods, and hence why the shelll is item levelled to the equivlent green/blue gear.

I've actually never heard of that before, just for my own information can you name an example of a piece of gear that does this?

A piece of adaptive gear will have the rating in parenthesis (), and the base armor rating for you and your comp (non droid). But i havent seen any non adaptives yet that didnt have the base armor rating.

I dunno...we've already got people wearing CM gear which allows them to wear non traditional gear for their class. SW wearing CM BH gear, BH wearing CM inquisitor gear, and consulars and JK's running around in dancer outfits. Customization is good, but what you are suggesting sounds like unrestricted customization. It might just be me but that doesnt seem very "Star Wars" to me...of course we are already halfway there with all the dancing and half naked outfits, so not like it can get any worse.

I was just wondering though, what did you mean by this?

I've actually never heard of that before, just for my own information can you name an example of a piece of gear that does this?

A piece of adaptive gear will have the rating in parenthesis (), and the base armor rating for you and your comp (non droid). But i havent seen any non adaptives yet that didnt have the base armor rating.

To me if there is no armour(Just base only) or base stats in any adaptive armour it should be available to use at level 1. Yes I understand your concern about looks but to keep a traditional look you could limit certian armour pieces which need to be worn by certain classes without having a item level on the item shell.

There is distinction here for me between adapative gear which without any mods just has base armour value and increses armour value with the level of the armouring mod put in it, aswell as the stats. Then alternativly standard custom orange or purple gear which does have a static armour value to its item level without any mods installed and the mods simply improve the stats, armour value stays static the same. I think alot of players refer to both types as adaptive which is were the confusion lies.

My argument was to weather we needed the standard custom gear in favour of having all moddable gear truly adapative so that you can flexibly transfer it between your alts without the having a item level on the armour piece when no mods exist in it. Thus in taking all the mods out of a moddable peice it becomes just a empty adapatve shell peice again that can be used by all from level 1, with some restriction on certain peices to maintain traditional class looks. :cool:

Edited by NOTACTICS