Jedi and Violence

Cavell

Regarding slavery it is aganist the law in the Republic.

Under Republic Law 44-12, Rylothian slave collars and the chips used to make them are illegal in Republic space--even for Senators.

But that is only in Republic space. Neutral planets don't fall under that law.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of this is not even relevant to the topic so i keep this brief. All imperial citizen are drafted into the military because its mandatory the military has also controls all mundane aspects of live like cleaning and cooking. Look at the pierce's profile and the history movies if you want proof. So in short every citizen gets a military grade education.

You didn't answer some important points, for example alien rights.

I agree that if you are

-a human

-born on the right planet (like Dromund Kaas), and not a forced labor world

-no slave

-no Force sensitive

-and get nice superiors, especially a pragmatic Sith

the Empire is a nicer place to live.

So you are basically saying, you'd rather live a slightly better life on the expense of others (aliens, slaves, conquered worlds), than live in a system that struggles, but tries to give freedom and equal rights to everyone. And I don't believe that that's really your opinion.

And by lore Corusant is one part a glorious city and a part massive shanty town . Look it up at wookiepedia.

True. But that's the case for every city world. And I bet there is crime in the lower levels of Dromund Kaas too. You just never see them. Your impression of Kaas City in this game is as if you would see the Senate Plaza and the Senate building on Coruscant, and nothing else.

And the Old Galactic Market and the Justicar Territory were nice places to live before the Sacking.

And slavery in my opinion is the worst hypocrisy of the republic. Not only do they allow large amount of slavery through the black market but they do a lot of business with slavers like the hutt empire. Look at Ryloth the republic has done nothing to aid the twileks.

Well, let's see our world. Great Britain was the first country to abolish slavery. Should the have completly cut all ties to every other country because of that? Are the western countries hypocritical for buying oil from dictatorships that violate human rights?

Oh btw pierce is insubordinate which caused him to miss few promotions. It has nothing to do with blood ties. Now look at general Hesker a lowly grunt that worked himself up to a general.

Yeah, it is possible. But there are also lots of promotions based on family ties and favors. Far more than in the Republic military.

Actually the Jedi have commited their share of uncalled for aggressive actions.

They struck out against the legions of lettow for leaving the order and studying the dark side. They struck at them first even though the legions of lettow said they would be content with peace.

Which is the only one I can think about. So one time the Jedi Order did attack first. It is not the usual way.

Well, let's see our world. Great Britain was the first country to abolish slavery. Should the have completly cut all ties to every other country because of that? Are the western countries hypocritical for buying oil from dictatorships that violate human rights?

Republic: striving for high ideals being accused of not being perfect. Empire: not striving for high ideals and being excused for all sorts of atrocities. Lolwut.

A great lesson for kids - those who set high moral standards and haven't yet reached them, despite success in other areas, deserve to be mocked. Those who set low moral standards deserve to be encouraged, as long as they are impudent enough to walk over other people and at least smart enough not to trip over their own shoelaces.

Edited by Helig

You didn't answer some important points, for example alien rights.

I agree that if you are

-a human

-born on the right planet (like Dromund Kaas), and not a forced labor world

-no slave

-no Force sensitive

-and get nice superiors, especially a pragmatic Sith

the Empire is a nicer place to live.

So you are basically saying, you'd rather live a slightly better life on the expense of others (aliens, slaves, conquered worlds), than live in a system that struggles, but tries to give freedom and equal rights to everyone. And I don't believe that that's really your opinion.

True. But that's the case for every city world. And I bet there is crime in the lower levels of Dromund Kaas too. You just never see them. Your impression of Kaas City in this game is as if you would see the Senate Plaza and the Senate building on Coruscant, and nothing else.

And the Old Galactic Market and the Justicar Territory were nice places to live before the Sacking.

Yeah, it is possible. But there are also lots of promotions based on family ties and favors. Far more than in the Republic military.

Which is the only one I can think about. So one time the Jedi Order did attack first. It is not the usual way.

Mate we are talking in circles so im only going to say this yes the empire is not the nicest place to live but i still think the republic is worse. Many of the so called rights are nothing more then illusions. If i have to choose between the pretty lies of the republic and the ugly truth of the empire then give me the truth. Oh yeah alien rights? have we forgotten the domination experiments already?

Of course their is crime in the empire. But its 99% lower then the republic. The economics of both factions greatly and as i said before every single one of its citizens fall under the imperial army.

I think your GB is just stupid. Trading is one thing. But the republic says they abolish slavery yet KEEP importing slaves and then say to other nations slavery is bad. That raises a few eyebrows with me. Yeah its technically illegal but they simply make a new word for it, in this case they call slaves under contract(did i already explain that i hate pretty lies) and keep on going .

Maaruin i find it quite amusing that you say that imperial promotion is based on blood ties. It simply does not support the lore. their are plenty of imperial grunts working their way up. In contrast to the republic that as a high amount with corrupt and incompetent soldiers. I have yet to play the troopers story to full but im already lolling how the mere grunt gets promoted over political reasons.

Republic: striving for high ideals being accused of not being perfect. Empire: not striving for high ideals and being excused for all sorts of atrocities. Lolwut.

A great lesson for kids - those who set high moral standards and haven't yet reached them, despite success in other areas, deserve to be mocked. Those who set low moral standards deserve to be encouraged, as long as they are impudent enough to walk over other people and at least smart enough not to trip over their own shoelaces.

They are not striving but they are bull********. That makes them far worse then the empire.

They are not striving but they are bull********. That makes them far worse then the empire.

The burden of proof is on you.

Also, lol@ your logic. As long as the bully doesn't claim he's good, it's a-OK. But if a kid who behaves much better overall claims that he follows high moral ideals, yet has not achieved them yet, he's suddenly worse than the bully.

That just doesn't make sense. Yes, hypocrisy is bad, we get it. But look past your maximalism. Do you really think that admitting that you're "bad", or at least "not good" justifies oppression, war crimes, and atrocities that are "a-OK" for the Empire? Does it really make the Empire "a better place to live"?

Edited by Helig

The burden of proof is on you.

Also, lol@ your logic. As long as the bully doesn't claim he's good, it's a-OK. But if a kid who behaves much better overall claims that he follows high moral ideals, yet has not achieved them yet, he's suddenly worse than the bully.

That just doesn't make sense. Yes, hypocrisy is bad, we get it. But look past your maximalism. Do you really think that admitting that you're "bad", or at least "not good" justifies oppression, war crimes, and atrocities that are "a-OK" for the Empire? Does it really make the Empire "a better place to live"?

2 words: domination project. And for the record both are bullies but one acknowledges that while the other one tries desperately say he is not while he definitely is one. But as long as you know that you are doing it wrong you can change (that's why their are quite a few progressive members within the sith empire like malgus). Hiding from it and covering with a thin veneer righteousness makes it that much more difficult to change.

Mate we are talking in circles so im only going to say this yes the empire is not the nicest place to live but i still think the republic is worse. Many of the so called rights are nothing more then illusions. If i have to choose between the pretty lies of the republic and the ugly truth of the empire then give me the truth. Oh yeah alien rights? have we forgotten the domination experiments already?

Oh, yeah, you think one hidden, illegal experiment balances out institutional opression in the whole Empire.

You said you prefer the ugly truth to pretty lies. Does this mean you prefer a state with one hidden experiment with prisoners to a state with 100 experiments with prisoners that are legal?

I prefer a state where the government has to cover up immoral activities with lies because they are illegal and you can sue them for it.

Of course their is crime in the empire. But its 99% lower then the republic. The economics of both factions greatly and as i said before every single one of its citizens fall under the imperial army.

99%? Where did you get that numbers?

I think your GB is just stupid. Trading is one thing. But the republic says they abolish slavery yet KEEP importing slaves and then say to other nations slavery is bad. That raises a few eyebrows with me. Yeah its technically illegal but they simply make a new word for it, in this case they call slaves under contract(did i already explain that i hate pretty lies) and keep on going .

That's new to me. When did the republic do that? Who was a slave under republic law?

Maaruin i find it quite amusing that you say that imperial promotion is based on blood ties. It simply does not support the lore. their are plenty of imperial grunts working their way up. In contrast to the republic that as a high amount with corrupt and incompetent soldiers. I have yet to play the troopers story to full but im already lolling how the mere grunt gets promoted over political reasons.

Well, that's the impression I got from the behavior of most Moffs and high officers. If that's not the case, they failed to represent an army based om merit accordingly. Maybe you are right on that one.

Hiding from it and covering with a thin veneer righteousness makes it that much more difficult to change.

What?? You can just drag it out in the open. In a system were these things are illegal, you don't have to change things, you just have to try your best to get the law enforced.

Edit: Yeah, Malgus would have changed the Empire for the better. (In fact, he did, as we will see in upcoming content.) But he still had nothing against slave labor and against war crimes, slaugter of civiliens etc.

Edit2: I think I mixed up the domination project with project noble focus. What is the "domination project"? I can't recall it right now.

Edited by Maaruin

. If the Force didn't exist, the Jedi would be terrifying.

If the Force did not exist the Jedi would be nothing but a bunch of hippies in a drum circle talking about changing the world, without having the power to do so. The force is what gives them the ability to be terrifying.

Edited by PoisnDusk

If the Force did not exist the Jedi would be nothing but a bunch of hippies in a drum circle talking about changing the world, without having the power to do so. The force is what gives them the ability to be terrifying.

I don't think so. I could see the Jedi as a monastic knight order, like we had several in history. With changing weapons they would have to change business, probably towards medical and humanitarian aid. (St. John Ambulance for example started out as a military order.)

The structure of the Jedi order is to strong for them to be a bunch of hippies and they could do some things to change the world like many non governmental organisations. But of course not as much as the can with the Force.

2 words: domination project. And for the record both are bullies but one acknowledges that while the other one tries desperately say he is not while he definitely is one. But as long as you know that you are doing it wrong you can change (that's why their are quite a few progressive members within the sith empire like malgus). Hiding from it and covering with a thin veneer righteousness makes it that much more difficult to change.

I note that the discussion has changed to attacks on the Republic as a government rather than violence in the Jedi Code. Ah, the things you miss when life gets in the way.

Although historical precedence would argue against your point in many respects. Long term evils that are institutionalized and normalized with the morals of a society have consistency proven harder to eliminate in the long term than activities that were immoral and hidden by a society that preached against them. Slavery in the United States is a very good example of the former; study of early post-Revolution US politics shows an awareness on the part of many that slavery is wrong and should end. However, it had been institutionalized and made part of the legal framework of the nation and was diabolically hard to even talk about, let alone end. Several of the Founding Fathers and others of their generation wanted to do something about but the practice was not only culturally entrenched but legally so as well. Had it simply been an illegal activity conducted by members of the society, once found it could be eliminated with criminal prosecution and that would be the end of it. Since it was culturally and legally enshrined it took another 70+ years, millions of deaths, and unknown loss of resources to accomplish the end of slavery.

On the other hand, the Tuskegee syphilis experiment was conducted in secrecy in a culture and society that rejected such acts as abhorrent and when it was discovered, changes were made to existing laws, rules, and structures to ensure that it could not happen again. There would have been no moral outcry in such experiments were widely known about and accepted as part of the culture and legal system. It would have taken a much greater effort to put the current laws and rules that govern human experimentation into effect.

Both cases taken together show that when something is official, it is accepted. Even by many who find it morally objectionable or horrific, because it is part of the system and the way things are. That is the case for things such as slavery, alien genocide, etc. in the Sith Empire. They are the rule. There are legal and cultural precedence and inertia that any attempt to rectify those evils would have to overcome. In the Republic, those same things are illegal. When they are discovered, they are stamped out. The incidents of slavery seen in the movies, games, and such take place not in Republic space but in Imperial, or more often, Hutt or unaffiliated space. Blaming either the Republic or the Jedi for what happens there is quite a stretch.

The argument for the Republic as a bully is also a big difficult to seriously consider once the sequence of events is taken into account. In TOR, the war ended by the Treaty of Coruscant ended with the Sith Empire attacked the Republic. They picked the fight. In KOTOR, the Sith led by Revan attacked the Republic. In the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith started it all by attacking the Republic.

There may be a theme you notice here.

In each case, the Republic is larger than the Sith Empire, has more people, more resources, more industry, and that tells in time. That does not make the Republic a bully. The Sith Empire picked a fight with a bigger kid. That does not make the bigger kid evil or a bully when they hit back. To again use a historical occurrence, the Empire of Japan attacked the much larger, much richer, much more industrialized nation of the United States. No one would look at the rest of World War II and say that it was immoral of the US to fight back. This is the same situation.

However, I will also say again that this does not seem to have much to do with Jedi and their use of violence. Perhaps this should be the topic of another thread?

The argument for the Republic as a bully is also a big difficult to seriously consider once the sequence of events is taken into account. In TOR, the war ended by the Treaty of Coruscant ended with the Sith Empire attacked the Republic. They picked the fight. In KOTOR, the Sith led by Revan attacked the Republic. In the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith started it all by attacking the Republic.

This has been the main theme of Star Wars actually, even the 100 Years of Darkness was caused when the Dark Jedi (who later became the Sith) attacked the Republic completely unprovoked after being exiled from Tython for assaulting Jedi and trying to force Jedi to fall to the Dark Side.

The Republic has never ever been the aggressor. At the most they have launched serious counter-attacks.

A lot of people blame the Republic and the Jedi for the supposed "Genocide of the Sith" which didn't happen... At least not in the way Gnost Dural is trying to make it seem. What those people forget is that this was probably the last straw for the Republic.

In the 100 Years of Darkness the Dark Jedi, as previously mentioned, attacked them without any provocation and plunged the galaxy into 100 Years of War with trillions on top of trillions of deaths. The Republic, when they, backed by the Jedi Order, defeated the Sith the Republic wanted to execute the Sith for war crimes. The Jedi Order argued for leniency and instead gave the Dark Jedi (who would become the Sith) a ship, food, and supplies and said, "Get out of Republic space and don't come back."

Which was probably the nicest thing that could be done all things considered.

The Sith supporters forget that happened.

When Naga Sadow caused the Great Hyperspace War I can imagine the Republic being very angry and there was probably a conversation like this that took place:

Republic Military:

"Okay, that is it. I am sick of these mother-lovin' Sith in our mother-lovin' galaxy. We are gonna wipe them all out and end this once and for all."

Jedi Order:

"That isn't such a good idea. We should be lenient. We should give them a..."

Republic Military:

"Oh heck no. That is the crap you said last time. Now look what happened because of it. These guys almost destroyed 2 planetary capitals including Coruscant and that one psycho blew up an entire STAR SYSTEM with the power of his mind. Uh-uh. No. Way too dangerous. We need to go to Korriban and nuke 'em 'till they glow then shoot them in the dark."

Jedi Order:

"They can be contained, they can be retrained..."

Republic Military:

"No. Did you not understand the words that were coming out of my mouth? THAT... GUY... BLEW... UP... AN... STAR SYSTEM... WITH... THE... POWER... OF... HIS... MIND! Can you guarantee that nobody else can do that same kind of thing?"

Jedi Order:

"Well not but..."

Republic Military:

"Exactly. Now that that discussion is done.. Lets see if we can't finish these guys off..."

ProfessorWalsh;4968432]

When Naga Sadow caused the Great Hyperspace War I can imagine the Republic being very angry and there was probably a conversation like this that took place:

Republic Military:

"Okay, that is it. I am sick of these mother-lovin' Sith in our mother-lovin' galaxy. We are gonna wipe them all out and end this once and for all."

Jedi Order:

Republic Military:

"Oh heck no. That is the crap you said last time. Now look what happened because of it. These guys almost destroyed 2 planetary capitals including Coruscant and that one psycho blew up an entire STAR SYSTEM with the power of his mind. Uh-uh. No. Way too dangerous. We need to go to Korriban and nuke 'em 'till they glow then shoot them in the dark."

Jedi Order:

Republic Military:

"No. Did you not understand the words that were coming out of my mouth? THAT... GUY... BLEW... UP... AN... STAR SYSTEM... WITH... THE... POWER... OF... HIS... MIND! Can you guarantee that nobody else can do that same kind of thing?"

Jedi Order:

"Well not but..."

Republic Military:

"Exactly. Now that that discussion is done.. Lets see if we can't finish these guys off..."

Lol, nice

Edited by ScarletBlaze

This has been the main theme of Star Wars actually, even the 100 Years of Darkness was caused when the Dark Jedi (who later became the Sith) attacked the Republic completely unprovoked after being exiled from Tython for assaulting Jedi and trying to force Jedi to fall to the Dark Side.

The Republic has never ever been the aggressor. At the most they have launched serious counter-attacks.

A lot of people blame the Republic and the Jedi for the supposed "Genocide of the Sith" which didn't happen... At least not in the way Gnost Dural is trying to make it seem. What those people forget is that this was probably the last straw for the Republic.

In the 100 Years of Darkness the Dark Jedi, as previously mentioned, attacked them without any provocation and plunged the galaxy into 100 Years of War with trillions on top of trillions of deaths. The Republic, when they, backed by the Jedi Order, defeated the Sith the Republic wanted to execute the Sith for war crimes. The Jedi Order argued for leniency and instead gave the Dark Jedi (who would become the Sith) a ship, food, and supplies and said, "Get out of Republic space and don't come back."

Which was probably the nicest thing that could be done all things considered.

The Sith supporters forget that happened.

Republic Military:

Jedi Order:

Republic Military:

Jedi Order:

Republic Military:

Jedi Order:

"Well not but..."

Republic Military:

Nice walsh you just summed up why the empire is morally better then the republic i couldn't have done it better myself . But of course the Sith where not dark Jedi. In fact the whole sith empire was deceived in fighting the republic by their own leader Naga Shadow. While large amount of sith didnt want to fight btw. I cannot really blame the current empire for wanting revenge when the republic genocided your people and tires that same stunt again with Revan. But hey genocide is A-okay if your the good guys right?

Nice walsh you just summed up why the empire is morally better then the republic i couldn't have done it better myself . But of course the Sith where not dark Jedi. In fact the whole sith empire was deceived in fighting the republic by their own leader Naga Shadow. While large amount of sith didnt want to fight btw. I cannot really blame the current empire for wanting revenge when the republic genocided your people and tires that same stunt again with Revan. But hey genocide is A-okay if your the good guys right?

Wait, you blame the Republic for wanting revenge at the old Sith Empire, but not the Sith Empire for wanting revenge on the Republic? What did you say about hypocricy?

But honestly, the Republic has done some pretty bad things in the past. Not only the genocide on the Sith. The Pius Dea crusades were horrible. But in game time, the republic is ashamed of the end of the Great Hyperspace War. So ashamed they either try to hide it or blame the Jedi for it.

In the Empire, those things would be remembered as "Our Glorious History".

And right now I'm convinced that only Revan and HK-47 knew about the genocide plan. Everything else makes no sense. I know the Jedi Council, and they would never accept something like that. And the Supreme Chancellor wouldn't either. Hell, even General Garza would doubt the sanity of someone who suggests this.

Wait, you blame the Republic for wanting revenge at the old Sith Empire, but not the Sith Empire for wanting revenge on the Republic? What did you say about hypocricy?

But honestly, the Republic has done some pretty bad things in the past. Not only the genocide on the Sith. The Pius Dea crusades were horrible. But in game time, the republic is ashamed of the end of the Great Hyperspace War. So ashamed they either try to hide it or blame the Jedi for it.

In the Empire, those things would be remembered as "Our Glorious History".

And right now I'm convinced that only Revan and HK-47 knew about the genocide plan. Everything else makes no sense. I know the Jedi Council, and they would never accept something like that. And the Supreme Chancellor wouldn't either. Hell, even General Garza would doubt the sanity of someone who suggests this.

I dont say that the old sith are the wronged party. But to genocide an entire race because they where deceived in attacking the republic by their own leader is going way to far. So yeah the republic where not justified to genocide the sith but the sith are right now completely justified in destroying the republic. Would you trust a people that butchered your ancestors of? . And im not convinced that the republic didnt know about revans little scheme. They used genocide before why not now?

Edited by Jaigen

What domination project? There was only project Noble Focus, which was, basically, experimenting on dangerous criminals of various species, approved by exactly one corrupt Senator who kept the rest of the Republic in the dark.

Uh. The Imperials "don't know" that what they're doing is wrong. Almost every single Imperial NPC I've met during my Imperial character playthroughs were 100% certain that what they're doing is for the good of the Galaxy - including the slaughter of civilian population. Malgus is (or would be, had he succeeded) a dictator. He wanted conquest, he wanted "order" (read: oppression, judging by his methods and ambitions. Domination through power is exactly oppression). He was just a little more opportunistic and less xenophobic. He was not being "progressive". He was being adaptive.

You're speaking as if the entire Senate and Rep Military are conspiring against their citizens, feeding them propaganda about freedom and democracy, while milking and oppressing the population. Hint - not the case. There are rotten eggs, and they don't act in the open. Because if they'd be discovered with sufficient proof, they'd be tried and punished.

Jaw-numbingly biased. For every Republic genocide (exactly one, even if it happened exactly how Gnost-Dural, who, to quote the writers, worked on incomplete information and whose assessment could be wrong, or incomplete, described it) there are at least several Imperial ones (Evocii genocide factory - just to please the Hutts and little else, as well as "numerous" obscure genocide programs against other select species, among the more obvious things). Such drastic measures are absolute last resort for the Republic, yet Empire hands out war crimes like candy. Being "good guy" doesn't mean having clean hands. Exactly what I was talking about. Unrealistic expectations.

An Imperial kid walks up to a Republic kid and punches him in the nose, then starts to talk trash about how he'll beat him half to death, take his lunch money, kill his hamster pet and feed it to his cat, all because the Rep kid didn't allow the Imp kid to run him off his seat in the class. The Republic kid says he doesn't like violence and doesn't want to fight but the Imperial kid laughs at him and proceeds to beat him.

The Republic kid gets up and beats the Imperial kid, hurting him badly. So I'll ask again. Who is the "better" person? The one who declared his violent intentions and attacked, or the one who declared himself non-violent, but brutally lashed out when he was out of options beside turning belly up?

Edited by Helig

I dont say that the old sith are the wronged party. But to genocide an entire race because they where deceived in attacking the republic by their own leader is going way to far. So yeah the republic where not justified to genocide the sith but the sith are right now completely justified in destroying the republic. Would you trust a people that butchered your ancestors of? . And im not convinced that the republic didnt know about revans little scheme. They used genocide before why not now?

Okay I might believe that if the Sith didn't have a history of trying to destroy entire races of allens just because they are aliens. Before you say they don't do that. Go do the republic quest in Nar Shadda called genocide and you see there was a plot to destroy an entire race of aliens for no other reason that they are aliens and the Empire doesn't care very much for aliens.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

1. The Republic never knew the Sith were deceived.

2. The Republic offered the Sith numerous chances to surrender.

3. The Sith, even when they were defeated, continued to swear up and down that they would destroy the Republic.

4. Rather than surrender the Sith resorted to killing their own women and children and engaging in suicide attacks against the Republic.

The Republic didn't "genocide" the Sith. The Sith genocided themselves.

The Jedi just don't like to use the Force to kill people. Luke is strong enough to kill almost all his opponents by snapping their necks, but he doesn't do against opponents like Lumiya that even though he could. Likewise Yoda can smash tank transports together yet only pushes Sidious across a room. Hence Yoda's words in ESB about only using the Force in defense.

Other than that Jedi carve people up like butter. Apparently there's a difference between using the Force to empower your limbs to cut someones head off and using the Force to rip his head off.

You know, I'm from a country that comitted genocide in the past. Do you think the countries inhabited by the children of the victims would now be completely justified in destroying my country?

You know, the Sith Empire is based on conquest. They attacked lots of other worlds before the republic. Many nations in Star Wars are like this, and wanting conquest isn't good, but in the Star Wars setting it is a minor evil. I'd call the Empire's talk about the "justice for genocide" hypocrisy too. In fact they don't distinguish between republic worlds, allies and neutral worlds.

(The evil of the Empire isn't that it wants conquest, but numerous other crimes. War crimes, genocide, opression of aliens, slavery, forced labor worlds, state terror, etc. All these things are going on now, not 1000 years ago.)

And how do I know they wouldn't approve of Revan's plans? Because I know their leaders. Supreme Chancallor Janirus is not Supreme Chancallor Pultimo. The militant Jedi are a minority in the Jedi council.

And, as others stated, the Genocide might actually not have happened in that scale. But it is very like that the Republic committed warcrimes at the end of the great hyperspace war. And I have no objection against investigating these things and look for ways reconciliation. But I doubt the Empire is interested in this.