Barbershops and aging abilities

Adreal

As a big fan of story and RP I feel that having a barbershop is a crucial way of being more in touch with progressing through your story. The ability to age your character as you see fit in your story i think would be a new feature to MMORPGS as a whole. I have been playing this since beta, and im surprised that something as simple as the barbershop has not made it in. I have a couple different characters that are now seasoned and need things like new battle scars, grown out hair, or maybe a different beard style.

Being able to have the ability to change your appearance by spending credits at a barbershop would really help me get more immersed in my story instead of being and lookin the same as my character did when they started out at the beginning of the story arc. Most padawans/apprentices and knights/lords definitely dont start out grey and wrinkled. i would like to see a feature added to where you can make your character age accordingly.

All in all it would be more enticing to the story and rp to be able to have more control over your characters appearance and to not have it so set in stone once you click the play button.

though they dont actually age, when i look at my knight now and look at screens of him on typhon he looks older.

im not sure why as hes full light so it isnt a darkside thing but he just seems more aged.

i would like an aging thing added thougth as long as it doesn't age me to much, maybe just a little greying of the hair and a few early wrinkles.

As a big fan of story and RP I feel that having a barbershop is a crucial way of being more in touch with progressing through your story. The ability to age your character as you see fit in your story i think would be a new feature to MMORPGS as a whole. I have been playing this since beta, and im surprised that something as simple as the barbershop has not made it in. I have a couple different characters that are now seasoned and need things like new battle scars, grown out hair, or maybe a different beard style.

Being able to have the ability to change your appearance by spending credits at a barbershop would really help me get more immersed in my story instead of being and lookin the same as my character did when they started out at the beginning of the story arc. Most padawans/apprentices and knights/lords definitely dont start out grey and wrinkled. i would like to see a feature added to where you can make your character age accordingly.

All in all it would be more enticing to the story and rp to be able to have more control over your characters appearance and to not have it so set in stone once you click the play button.

I agree with you there. Although I wouldn't really change anything on most of my characters at the moment, I would definitely want my characters to be able to age and grow old in the future. Maybe have a similar thing done for companions as well?

While I don't disagree at all, I think this is more of a big deal than people think. It would mean a fair number of new textures for aging and scars, tweaked individually for each head, and new hair/beard models with attendant textures. None of these things are difficult, per se--well, hair, a little bit--but it would take a fair amount of resource/time commitment. My guess is that it's already being worked on, but will take some time to develop, given that there are other issues which have to be considered more important. It would make sense to bring something like this out with F2P, but may not be ready in time--assuming I'm right and it's in the works, of course.

A barbershop is something I have been asking for for a long time. I was highly disappointed with how severly and stupidly limited character creation was and is. The Mass Effect 3 demo had a more in-depth creation. A KRIFFING DEMO! I know it will take a lot of work, but a barbershop with a super-expanded creation is what this game needs.

We need more and better hairstyles. half of the current ones are awful.

Facial features: Where are the sliders for adjusting these? The Dragon Age and Mass Effect games have them, why not TOR?

Body adjustments: Having four base types is fine, but we should be able to make adjustments to them. Height, weight, muscle mass, chest size and so on.

Zabrak: Head bone formations MUST be searate from hairstles. Tatoos must be separate from cosmetics. We must also be able to color them.

Twi'lek: Lekku markings must be separate from cosmetics and must also have color options. There must be more skin color options as well.

I agre with the aging abilities. We should be able to make our characters look older as time goes by. This, and the rest of the options needed in the barbershop, are especially important for roleplayers. I understand that this will take a lot of time to develop and implement, but it is a much needed and wanted feature. I just hope someone from Bioware actually reads this and thinks bout it, hard. I am not holding my breath, however.

Edited by Kilikaa

Ow! My eyyyyeessss! They burn like fire!

Edit: Do you guys really want massive changes to character creation before new content?

Content is in the works and coming. A massive change to character creation SHOULD be in the works as well. To answer your question...YES! I would gladly wait a couple extra months for more content if it meant getting a greatly expanded creation system. As I pointed out, the ME3 demo, DEMO, had a more in-depth creation than SW:TOR currently has.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely something the game needs.

Was actually thinking about making it part of the character instead. Like dark side corruption your character would get a more aged look as you progress through the levels. This would of course be something that could be turned on/off as players see fit, just like dark side corruption.

Definitely something the game needs.

Was actually thinking about making it part of the character instead. Like dark side corruption your character would get a more aged look as you progress through the levels. This would of course be something that could be turned on/off as players see fit, just like dark side corruption.

Im going to bounce off this and throw another one at you. There is Dark side corruption which can be toggled, why is there no lightside variant? Like a healthy glow or a more holy apperance? I know it existed in KOTOR2 and was a little suprised it wasnt added into this especially with the DS corruption.

While I don't disagree at all, I think this is more of a big deal than people think. It would mean a fair number of new textures for aging and scars, tweaked individually for each head, and new hair/beard models with attendant textures. None of these things are difficult, per se--well, hair, a little bit--but it would take a fair amount of resource/time commitment. My guess is that it's already being worked on, but will take some time to develop, given that there are other issues which have to be considered more important. It would make sense to bring something like this out with F2P, but may not be ready in time--assuming I'm right and it's in the works, of course.

I don't actually think this might be as hard as your saying i mean, there are already "older" character models in the game from some of the npc's. now of course the beards and such may need to be adjusted for different face styles, but it wouldn't be like starting from scratch. Like Dr. Lokin, or General Garza.

Im going to bounce off this and throw another one at you. There is Dark side corruption which can be toggled, why is there no lightside variant? Like a healthy glow or a more holy apperance? I know it existed in KOTOR2 and was a little suprised it wasnt added into this especially with the DS corruption.

Your right..its odd they took it out, but then again is it?

I remember the glow thing from kotor2, but did it really change the features of fx the characters head? Not that I remember. If you look at the movies the light sight guys just look normal and you actually only see the dark side guys change in some way. You have the yellow/red eyes and so on, but to put a glow around the light side guys actually just looks a bit silly imo..but that just me mate:-).

Edited by Cbaoth

Your right..its odd they took it out, but then again is it?

I remember the glow thing from kotor2, but did it really change the features of fx the characters head? Not that I remember. If you look at the movies the light sight guys just look normal and you actually only see the dark side guys change in some way. You have the yellow/red eyes and so on, but to but a glow around the light side guys actually just looks a bit silly imo..but that just me mate:-).

Fair enough mate, to some degree I actually agree with you tho i thought skin pigment changed a bit. But I would like to see "something" for for being holier than thou rainbows and sunshine out of my *** ^.^

I generally prefer DS so its not much of an issue

Actually thinking about it when my DS SW had certain skills crit id be surrounded by a fiery orange aura. My LS JK had a blue one.... ok this would be the norm. But as said aura seemed get bigger more DS/LS I got do wonder if say my JK was all DS would he have the fiery aura and vice versa

Edited by RigbyC

I suppose storyline is a convenient enough excuse for not making aged looking characters an option to begin with - though not for all classes. Maybe they could have tweaked the options by class, like how slave brands are only part of the scar options for, say, Sith Sith and not Jedii Twi'leks.

They've certainly got old character faces in the game already. Could be a problem fitting them to new species - anyone seen a decrepit Cathar around? Unfortunately, a lot of MMOs drag their feet on implementing this sort of thing - took WoW what, two expansions?

Fair enough mate, to some degree I actually agree with you tho i thought skin pigment changed a bit. But I would like to see "something" for for being holier than thou rainbows and sunshine out of my *** ^.^

I generally prefer DS so its not much of an issue

Actually thinking about it when my DS SW had certain skills crit id be surrounded by a fiery orange aura. My LS JK had a blue one.... ok this would be the norm. But as said aura seemed get bigger more DS/LS I got do wonder if say my JK was all DS would he have the fiery aura and vice versa

Lol..yeah that would be a neat little feature;)

You might be right about the aura thing mate, I tried to find some screenies of it, but had no luck.

Dont remember the skin being more "lightside" but then again,its been quite a few years since I played it, so you might be right about that to;)

I'd love this. But it'll never happen.

Let's be honest here.. they are making the game F2P before adding any fluff. I doubt the future patches will be anything more than a big fix here or there.

Im affraid you might be right on this mate.

• 3 weeks later...