Updated: How to Become a Contender

ManiacDavis

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So was that a no thanks about adding my thread in there?

I've been very busy with school and am in the process of updating this thread for the release of 2.4. I was going to add your stuff with my 2.4 updates on Oct. 1st with the release of 2.4. I am definitely still interested!!!

Also, if anyone has any cool tutorial videos of the new arenas, I'd love to add them. Let me know.

I've been very busy with school and am in the process of updating this thread for the release of 2.4. I was going to add your stuff with my 2.4 updates on Oct. 1st with the release of 2.4. I am definitely still interested!!!

Also, if anyone has any cool tutorial videos of the new arenas, I'd love to add them. Let me know.

Ok, sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...
as some one who has just come back to this game after a long break this is brilliant. something you could do with putting in there for idiots like me is that your old level 50 warhero stuff you spent so long grinding is worse than useless and should be taken off immediately, personally i had no clue till i saw a post in the forums yesterday

Completely agree. As someone that is just returning and planning on leveling via PVP this guide is going to make my life so much easier.

Quick question regarding the legacy perks, if I have a Sith Jug and a Jedi Sentinel, will the legacy perks count across faction?

Completely agree. As someone that is just returning and planning on leveling via PVP this guide is going to make my life so much easier.

Quick question regarding the legacy perks, if I have a Sith Jug and a Jedi Sentinel, will the legacy perks count across faction?

To the best of my knowledge the legacy perks do count across factions. But to be more specific, which legacy perks are you examining? It is clear that the legacy buff is cross faction because I use that all the time. The stat increase from companion affection at 1,000 + all conversations is not as clear.

Thank you so much for this guide. I've been reading & re-reading this pretty regularly to try and absorb & implement all your points. SWTOR is the first MMO where I've ever played more than just the barest minimum of PvP and although I was a founder, I just came back to the game and started PvP in earnest last week. This guide has been helping me tremendously (as well as showing me how badly I jacked up my previous lvl 50 Sentinel).

A few questions for you, though:

First, what would you recommend as the best way to learn the capabilities of other classes? From what I gather, good PvP skills rely heavily on knowing who to target, what kind of abilities they're going to throw at you, timing your abilities to coincide with when their CDs have popped, etc., and so I've rolled a few alts to try and learn these, but of course, that's taking away from the time my guild wants to spend running FPs with my higher level Sentinel. Is this a waste of time, do you think, and if so, is there a better way to learn?

Second, if playing the various alts is not a waste of time, can you recommend a guide on key bindings? It took me about three solid days of tweaking the interface and putting everything I have in what I think is a decent configuration; attacks in one area (somewhat separated by build v burn), DoTs in another, roots in another, etc., but I still find that I'm forgetting to use certain abilities or that a few abilities here and there are out of reach. Fwiw, I have a MadCatz MMO 07 mouse and a Razer Black Widow Ultimate (the macro keys on the KB aren't fully committed, so I have some room to play still), so there are a LOT of options on where to put everything, and I'm finding that all the articles I'm seeing on keybinding are either very specific and assume a basic 104-key KB and two or three button mouse, or are so generic as to be of questionable value. Plus, there's the fact that I'm starting to roll alts that don't share the same abilities, so the idea of spending three more days to configure a keybind for an Imperial Agent doesn't appeal to me.

Third, is there a way to parse the combat log from a raid, flashpoint, etc., to where you can see everyone's damage and compare? My guess would be no, and that this only pulls each individual's data, but I'd very much like to be able to see where I stack up by way of comparison to others.

Thanks!

First, what would you recommend as the best way to learn the capabilities of other classes? From what I gather, good PvP skills rely heavily on knowing who to target, what kind of abilities they're going to throw at you, timing your abilities to coincide with when their CDs have popped, etc., and so I've rolled a few alts to try and learn these, but of course, that's taking away from the time my guild wants to spend running FPs with my higher level Sentinel. Is this a waste of time, do you think, and if so, is there a better way to learn?

Thanks!

The only other way is to have a buddy duel you with the class you want to learn about. Also, you want voice chat so you two can talk about each duel.

First, what would you recommend as the best way to learn the capabilities of other classes?

It is definetely not a waste of time to level alts. This is the best way to get a true understanding of how other classes play and their weaknesses/strengths. Another good tool is to watch live streams or videos of other players in pvp. See how they have their UI/hotkeys set up, examine their positioning and critically examine whether their are positioned well. When they die, examine what CD's they could have used to get out of the situation and the timing of Cooldowns.

Second, if playing the various alts is not a waste of time, can you recommend a guide on key bindings?

I haven't seen any good guides on keybinds, but thanks for the idea, maybe I will write it. As I said before, take a look at how other people set up their UI/keybinds. Personally, I have commonalities between my characters. For example, my grenades are always bound to shift + q (i know ppl who use G because FPS games use G as grenade), my warzone medpacks/adrenals are shift + z/x respectively. My casted abilities are shift +1-3. My CC breaker is mouse button 3. My instant CC is always Q. Any ability that increases ammo/energy is R (this is normally reload in FPS games). V is always my interrupt. 1-6 are my most common abilities. Find what works for you and use the whole keyboard (q, e, r, t, y, f, g, z, x, c, v, b, etc are heavily used in my rotations).

Third, is there a way to parse the combat log from a raid, flashpoint, etc., to where you can see everyone's damage and compare? My guess would be no, and that this only pulls each individual's data, but I'd very much like to be able to see where I stack up by way of comparison to others.

Not a lot of pvp players use parsers, but they are used heavily in PvE. Most parsers that I know of require all players to personally join the parse in order to see their numbers, so it is not possible to parse other players but it is possible to parse your numbers and your guildies.

@MD - thank you so much for the responses. That's a really good idea about the videos and looking at how the top players set up their UI. It never occurred to me to do this, but I'll try that tonight.

As for the keybinds, I've been trying to come up with an idea for how to arrange not only my keys but also the indicators on the quickbars. At the moment, I have my main attacks in one area, DoTs in another, AoE in another, etc., but I'm finding that a lot of this still needs a lot of work and I still need to gain familiarity with what to do in what occasions. Also, I've been experimenting with having my quickbars at the top of the screen (my eyes tend to focus up there more than the bottom) so that I can see when my CDs are refreshing, but then I have my target frame on the bottom, so I tend not to see what effects are on the target. Intellectually, I know that's a bad thing, but I don't have a better option to replace that with at the moment. Oh, and I just figured out yesterday where the resolve bar is. Yeah, I suck. :confused:

Funny you should mention the FPS binds, btw, as that tends to be my favorite genre (although I suck at FPS PvP as well) and I'm departing significantly from my typical FPS bind in that I'm no longer using WASD to move, whereas that's been a mainstay for me in FPS.

By the way... I did notice, after rolling an imperial agent, that this was not only significantly easier to play in PvP (to be expected, of course, since he's only lvl 14 so far), but that I consistently do much better in FPs with him than I do with the sent (even when doing lowbie PvP with the other sent before he leveled up). Are the ranged DPS classes that much easier to play, or is that just me, do you think?

The one thing I found when I hit 55 three weeks ago with my mando is the bolster. I hade max RWZ comms and cap WZ comms. I bought a few of the cheapest pices first to get the most valor I could. I got in my first pvp match and looked at my stats and I hade 38% pvp dmg boost and 18% pvp dmg reduction. I took off the Items I just bought then re queued for pvp and looked to see bolster had me with no pvp gear on back to 60% dmg 30% dmg reduction. I also noticed my DPS for the second match jumped 200K.

I didn't see a jump in my DMG until I hade the full set or partisan's pvp gear. Every time I queued with less then a full set of pvp gear I did worse then when I hade the full first set of pvp gear. Still today I did 420K dps on my 55 sage no pvp gear at all. Then I went in and hade on 5 pvp iteams on and did 230K dps. The first match I died 3 times and we lost the match buy 10 points. The second match we won in void star and only buy about 30 sec. I spent more time free casting in the second match and I died 2 times. So with half pvp gear and half lvl 54 purples I lost about 200K dps.. Sorry for the bad grammar/spelling...

So what I am saying is unless you have the full first set of pvp gear don't put it on! Get the best gear you can Like lvl 54 blue mods-armoring-enhancements in your gear. Not lvl 50-54 greens. I also notice I do better then 99% of other players when they have the best pvp gear and I have the best pve gear why? Well bolster is why you have max pvp reset and dmg and with bolster so do I... You do not have as much AP as I do why? Well pvp gear hase less willpower then the best pve gear. pvp conqueror's helm + 146 endurance + 136 willpower---PvE Underworld helm +172 endurance + 157 willpower. So I end up with bolster same pvp dmg and reduction but more AP. Don't think soo? test it I hope I am wrong but I tested it and that's what I ended up with. More AP in pve gear less in pvp. Just in WZ. I don't know if there is bolster in ranked WZ.

Is it absolutely necessary that I use moddable/legacy shells? Or can I just use the Conquerer/Obroan PvP shells?

You can use the conqueror/obroan shells, but if you augment these shells, you will inevitably have to turn them back for the newer pieces. The obroan shells require turning in the conqueror and undoubtedly the next tier of gear will require turning in the Obroan shells.

Edited by ManiacDavis

You can use the conqueror/obroan shells, but if you augment these shells, you will inevitably have to turn them back for the newer pieces. The obroan shells require turning in the conqueror and undoubtedly the next tier of gear will require turning in the Obroan shells.

Thanks.

good, thanks.