some very quiet people that you meet in the game

plotenox

OK I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've seen some weird things so far. One of them includes being in a group with someone who doesn't talk...like at all. This doesn't happen often in my case but its happened like 3-4 times already,enough to make me get :confused:.

Usually it happens to me on the starter planets like Thython or Hutta. I would start on a new character to level up and out of nowhere I wold get a random group invite. I would accept the invite just out of curiosity and then I would ask why I got the invite. I got no response from the guy who invited me. I figured OK maybe its for the extra XP so I tagged along. I would later ask more questions of what we were going to do next. Again no reply. This happened a few times already and I would sometimes stay in the group for a while just to see the guy respond back to me. Nothing. He did his own missions while I did mine,even if I didn't help him he would still say nothing. Now the thing thats strange is that this same situation happened to me 3-4 times already like I said earlier. If this just happened 1 time then I probably wouldn't think about it much,but not in my case.:eek:

I just can't help thinking are these guys that shy even over the internet? Or are they just trolling me the whole time?

Have you guys had something like this?

Edited by plotenox

I can only respond based on me. I am a shy person, yes even on the internet. I know people may think that is weird but for me it is hard for me to talk to someone I don't know . I will say hi or something like that but as far as a lot of talking I don't .

Though I tend to only group with my friends, guild and boyfriend. I will only do LFG flashpoints if one or two of them are with me.

It takes me a bit to feel comfortable talking to someone I don't know. I know people are going to say why play an MMO then? I have friends and a guild I hang with and talk to and my boyfriend.

Just because it is the internet doesn't mean your shyness is gone. It is still there. Yea I know people do stupid things and use the internet as an excuse but for me I am who I am internet or not. To me using the internet as an excuse to be rude and mean is just an excuse.

Not sure this helps your question.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

1) Sometimes they don't speak your language

2) Bad mood and don't feel like small-talk

3) Only grouped for xp bonus

4) Maybe autistic / aspergers and don't understand it makes some people uncomfortable that they're not talking

Couldn't think of any other reasons, but yeah this has happened to me as well

OK I've been playing this game for almost 2 years now and I've seen some weird things so far. One of them includes being in a group with someone who doesn't talk...like at all. This doesn't happen often in my case but its happened like 3-4 times already,enough to make me get :confused:.

Usually it happens to me on the starter planets like Thython or Hutta. I would start on a new character to level up and out of nowhere I wold get a random group invite. I would accept the invite just out of curiosity and then I would ask why I got the invite. I got no response from the guy who invited me. I figured OK maybe its for the extra XP so I tagged along. I would later ask more questions of what we were going to do next. Again no reply. This happened a few times already and I would sometimes stay in the group for a while just to see the guy respond back to me. Nothing. He did his own missions while I did mine,even if I didn't help him he would still say nothing. Now the thing thats strange is that this same situation happened to me 3-4 times already like I said earlier. If this just happened 1 time then I probably wouldn't think about it much,but not in my case.:eek:

I just can't help thinking are these guys that shy even over the internet? Or are they just trolling me the whole time?

I've also had this happen a few times, and wondered as you did. Like, why group and then just go off by yourself? Does the xp boost persist despite distance?

They probably don't speak English. A shy person doesn't randomly invite people just to not talk to them. A shy person does the exact opposite. Decline all invites and avoid conflict with other questers. Try to muster up the courage to LFG and bring no notice to yourself.

~a shy gamer that loves mmorpgs

I've also had this happen a few times, and wondered as you did. Like, why group and then just go off by yourself? Does the xp boost persist despite distance?

I don't think so.I notice I don't get any xp when 1 of my group members kills something in a far distance or in another area.

@TeilCron I never thought of that before,plus that kinda doesn't make sense to me. I figured if that was true that person would've tried to tell me to buy credits from somewhere at least. That hasn't happened to me yet.

Edited by plotenox

-snip-

I've been on the receiving end of those random invites a few times. It's not awfully common, but happens at least once or twice a week (mostly on Hutta/Korriban and Dromund Kaas).

Now, I'm not the most social person myself (shy, even on the internet, as a few others on the thread have mentioned), but if I'm in a group, the least I can do is say a couple things. If these people simply invite and don't say anything, then I see no point in being in a group and take my leave.

I mean, it doesn't take more than a couple seconds to say something along the lines of "Just grouping for bonus xp" or "Help with quest, I don't speak english". But maybe that's just me.

Not for xp but you can get social points for the bonus kill. I had grouped with either my boyfriend or a guild member and was going to go join them on another planet and they completed a bonus mission and I got 2 social points for it.

I say hello and sometimes type some chat during dead periods, but I can not type and walk (well sometimes I can) at the same time.

I would rather be aware of the surroundings and what people are doing. I do a lot of tanking and healing and there are too many people that create a need for immediate response through a multitude of actions.

Truth is Plotenox the person is probably in a voice chat room somewhere talking to his buddies while grouped with you!

MMORPGs (not just TOR) socialization skills have suffered greatly since the rise of voice chat.

I was playing these games before Voice chat was ever possible. Players were much better typers and chatted often. But once Voice chat came out it almost instantly started to have a negative effect on PUGs and general socialization.

Honestly it wasnt even just PUGs.

I remember playing SWG, my computer at the time could run SWG but couldnt handle anything extra, so running Vent (at the time) was out of the question. But rest of my guild for most part could. Our guild chat went from lively and funny to dead silence almost over night. And when I did type in it (or group chat) I would sometimes have to ask the same question 5-6-7 times before getting an answer because half the people were not paying attention to guild chat anymore and the other half had completely removed the chat box from their screen.

And that was in a guild setting with a guild I had been apart of (at the time) for over a decade. Its only gotten worse not computers have gotten stronger and voice chat programs easier to use and install and run.

Join a PUG for a daily mode HD Flashpoint and often you will say hello at the start and thanks bye at the end and inbetween there is nothing at all said in group chat.

Sadly its just the way of the times for the modern era.

Until voice chat becomes so common that games supply their own built in voice chat (like DDO did) so groups can chat via voice chat, socializing in these games almost dead.

And role play is also pretty much dead as you can never create the visual impression for a character with voice chat that typing something like

*grins evilly and chuckles" "you do that"

Would achieve through typing.

At some point tech will get to the point that these missing elements are somehow re-introduced to gaming in a new manner or fashion but for now they are casualties of a changing landscape.

4) Maybe autistic / aspergers and don't understand it makes some people uncomfortable that they're not talking

Just want to chime in that most people with aspergers have no problem communicating and understanding that others get uncomfortable when you don't communicate.

Autistic, maby, but even there most of the ones playing a game like this would be high-functioning autists who understand that there is a need to communicate every now and then.

More than likely its a Chinese Goldfarmer having you in a group for when he needs you I remember back then when I use to get those invites then I found out from friends if they don't respond then most of the time "70% or higher" it a Chinese Goldfarmer most of the time they just do flashpoints and heroics but sometimes they just run around getting nodes and such, it is a big reason most of the time I never join random invites...

More than likely its a Chinese Goldfarmer having you in a group for when he needs you I remember back then when I use to get those invites then I found out from friends if they don't respond then most of the time "70% or higher" it a Chinese Goldfarmer most of the time they just do flashpoints and heroics but sometimes they just run around getting nodes and such, it is a big reason most of the time I never join random invites...

Why would a gold farmer want you in group? Seriously, what possible reason can you dredge up?

70% or higher, huh? I'm sure you must have statistics to back that number up. Obviously you know a lot about chinese gold farmers :rolleyes:

OK after playing swtor again recently I just had to chime in here to add my 0.02 cents again. I was in the republic fleet on the Bastion server with one of my low level toons and I notice some guy invited me randomly to a group. I joined his group out of curiosity and notice it was just me and him. I also notice him on his toon running around on fleet back and forth. He then starts randomly inviting other people to the group and I soon ask him ''whats this group for?''. I didn't know if he would respond back but he did, he just said "her". I got confused on that one and said "her?". He would then start queuing for some mission I think but I didn't get the queue message somehow. It didn't work out for him I guess so he then just disbanded the group.

Now this recent experience right here^ and the last few recent posts of this thread made me thought of something: "Did I just saw a possible gold farmer?"

When I was in his group the 1st thing I look at was his name. It was like a long name that looked kind of gibberish, like kirou-habbua or something like that. That name reminded me of some of the gold farmers' names that I would see in general chat sometimes and they had long gibberish names too.:eek: I thought he might've been a gold farmer,but then I thought why would he invite people to a group? At that point I looked at this kirou-habbua guy again and I noticed he was just level 7. Again thoughts kept rushing in my head thinking "Was this guy one of those gold farmers who would level up his toon somehow?". This sort of thing doesn't bother me but it got me thinking alot. I thought back to the times when I would see some gold farmers spamming chat and I remembered something else. When I see a gold farmer in chat I would sometimes look on the Who's online list to look for their username,I often wouldn't see their names but sometimes I get lucky. I remember seeing 1 name of some random gold farmer on the Who's list and I saw that he was level 10,but I forgot what his name was.

Now back to the present. After all of that thinking in my head I couldn't help but wonder if that guy who invited me was one of those potential gold farmers with a long gibberish name who just happen to be leveling up his toon. He didn't talk much so I thought maybe he is...or maybe I'm just going crazy with all of this things.LOL

Either way this is just me sharing my 2 cents of some strange events lately.

Edited by plotenox

Another reason to add to this, might be too young to type fluently, or not fluent readers. Though tbh, I don't accept random invites, because I simply don't trust random people. This is from someone who is not necessarily shy, but cautious, and levels off of group finder. Usually when sent a random invite, I almost find it creepy (for lack of a better word). The xp boost is not that significant, so really no reason to just randomly invite someone to quest with you. Good point on the autistic thing though, it is possible they just simply don't know how to interact with people.

When I get random group invites, before I accept I'll whisper them and ask what they need help with. I'll help anyone if possible, but if you don't respond then I'll deny the request. You may be shy, but you got over your shyness long enough to ask me to group with you. I hate being ignored :mad:

Just want to chime in that most people with aspergers have no problem communicating and understanding that others get uncomfortable when you don't communicate.

Autistic, maby, but even there most of the ones playing a game like this would be high-functioning autists who understand that there is a need to communicate every now and then.

As someone with high functioning autism and social anxiety I agree, at least for myself. If I join a group and the other member(s) offer a greeting then I'll greet them as well. I'll communicate as needed or required in order to keep the group effective, or when etiquette and common courtesy dictate. I rarely initiate things when involving others I don't know such as creating a group and/or being group leader. (I do gradually "warm up" when it comes to conversation, but this typically takes longer than an average PUG lasts.)

I usually decline blind invites unless I can see the player is nearby and appear to be working on the same mission. Even then there is normally a greeting and/or asking if I'm doing the same mission once I've joined. There have been times when I joined a group and no one said anything, we'd follow each other, complete our task(s) in the area and then disband.

Plotenox - The placement of the vowels in "kirou-habbua" made me think it might not be gibberish. I did a search and it searched for "Kirou Habbo" listing sites that mostly seemed French, there was also a similar term "cria habbo" which appears to be related to some online social game in Portuguese. My guess is you probably encountered a player who is from Brazil.

While I get Scaletblaze's point of view, some folks are shy. But, that said.I have problems with people who ninja group you and then don't speak at all while the group is active. I have to put forward that my only reason for playing an MMO at all is for the interaction with other players. I have lots of single player games I still find interesting. I've grouped with folks for whom English is a very distant second language, and had decent conversations with them. Hiccups, sure, but fun. My thought is that people who group you and don't talk, are, well, users. You're good enough to help. but not good enough to talk to. I tend to drop the group pretty quickly now it there's no interaction.

As someone with high functioning autism and social anxiety I agree, at least for myself. If I join a group and the other member(s) offer a greeting then I'll greet them as well. I'll communicate as needed or required in order to keep the group effective, or when etiquette and common courtesy dictate. I rarely initiate things when involving others I don't know such as creating a group and/or being group leader. (I do gradually "warm up" when it comes to conversation, but this typically takes longer than an average PUG lasts.)

I usually decline blind invites unless I can see the player is nearby and appear to be working on the same mission. Even then there is normally a greeting and/or asking if I'm doing the same mission once I've joined. There have been times when I joined a group and no one said anything, we'd follow each other, complete our task(s) in the area and then disband.

Plotenox - The placement of the vowels in "kirou-habbua" made me think it might not be gibberish. I did a search and it searched for "Kirou Habbo" listing sites that mostly seemed French, there was also a similar term "cria habbo" which appears to be related to some online social game in Portuguese. My guess is you probably encountered a player who is from Brazil.

As someone with a high level of understanding for French, Kirou Habbo sounds like it is of Algerian or some sort of North African origin. The language culture in that area is a mixture of French and Arabic.

MMORPGs (not just TOR) socialization skills have suffered greatly since the rise of voice chat.

I was playing these games before Voice chat was ever possible. Players were much better typers and chatted often. But once Voice chat came out it almost instantly started to have a negative effect on PUGs and general socialization.

It's a shame you've had poor experiences with voice chat affecting your MMO experience.

Personally, I've had the opposite experience. The first guild I was in (in this game) was a decent size, and had 20-30 players on at any given time. Chat was used frequently, and it was nice to see life added to the game. Although people were friendly, I never really got around to really knowing anyone.

Fast forward to my current guild, where most of us are in voice chat all the time, even when playing other games (just to shoot the breeze). Over time, many of us have become real-life friends. And despite this, I still see plenty of people typing in guild chat, or officer chat, even in the middle of running operations.

My experience has seen voice chat improving the social experience, not detracting from it.

you must be new to mmos and online multiplayer games. in general

i shrug off and forget such thing 3 minutes after i meet the guy

Edited by Kaedusz

I never, ever, well, rarely talk to anyone in flashpoints. 1.) people are usually annoying and I'm just grinding so I just ignore them. 2.) the times I do talk is to scold someone for doing something so stupid it's unbelievable. 3.) I just don't like people.

People really feel obliged to talk to me even if I'm not in the mood too.