Good or Bad Indicators from EA Q3 reports?

Banegio

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=736891

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2269108062x0x631835/14dae403-9b02-4964-b479-188157db27d5/Q3_Earnings_Script_FINAL.pdf

Subscriptions, advertising, and other digital revenue contributed $79 million, growing 18% over the same period last year. The current year includes a full quarter of Star Wars subscriptions, but it was offset by a decline in other licensing digital revenue. As a reminder, the non-GAAP revenue continues to exclude our Battlefield 3 Premium subscription service. For the third quarter, Battlefield 3 Premium generated $28 million in sales, bringing the total premium revenue for the first three quarters to approximately $108 million. We will recognize these sales as revenue in the fourth quarter when we release the fifth expansion pack, entitled End Game, and as another reminder, all of the development and delivery costs have been recognized in the previous quarters.

Extra content and free-to-play contributed $185 million, up 50% led by FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team and Star Wars: The Old Republic. These revenues relate to businesses on PC or consoles, where consumers pay for additional digital content -- including virtual characters, map packs and micro-transactions associated with browser based games or MMO’s – like Star Wars. As a reminder, on November 15th we launched our free-to-play option for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Very early indications have been positive and we are pleased with the initial results but it is too early to know how successful this will be in the long term.

Edited by Banegio

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is how they're making their millions.

They just made a boatload off the Cartel Market.

Does this encourage them:

A) To produce new story content

or

B) To produce more Cartel Market Content?

If I was the CEO I'd look at the numbers and say - MOAR CARTEL CONTENT!

:(:(:(

or

You'd think even the cartel stuff would dry up without new content, though. You'd think. Who knows - not like Lucas wasn't able to do well-enough polishing the same original movies.

or

Good thing you're not the CEO, that's a recipe for failure. Of COURSE they want more cartel content, but they know that that is income they want on TOP of subs. No one is going to keep playing the game for cartel market items and if no one is playing they make nothing. So use the cartel market money to make content so people keep playing, then tempt those people to spend extra money on trinkets from the store. It's a win/win.

Edited by DaRoamer

I just wished people would not register with origin an join the boycott otherwise I see a future where every frickin publisher out there installs these drm stores on our computer and we end up having 10 different origins and steams on our disc and when we buy one game from origin it will install the next shop after downloading (this actually happened with an ubisoft title bought through steam which then installed uplay)

but obviously its not going to happen and ea still has millions of zombies buying their sports titles -.-

the gaming world would just be that much better without them still the people throw money at them. its unbelievable....

or

There will be no new class storylines. They've pretty much all but told us this time and again. Their ultimate goal is to be profitable. It is an MMO after all.

Not to mention they fired all their story people.

Edited by Alpine

The fact, that they mentioned SWTOR several time is a good sign, it seams not to be the unloved stepchild anymore. In other words, it makes money with subscribers and with F2P.

Lol, remember it got to the point where the EA CEO was like, "SWToR isn't even that important to us, investors need to stop focusing on that, we have so many other titles like Tiger Woods Golf" or whatever.

Yep, mentioning it at all in a sentence that isn't pure damage control is a huge improvement. Probably a very good sign.

Edited by jgelling

There will be no new class storylines. They've pretty much all but told us this time and again. Their ultimate goal is to be profitable. It is an MMO after all.

Never said class storylines. I said "story content." Stuff like a decent planetary storyline rather than "kill 100 mobs and then watch a 15 second cutscene." I loved both versions of the Tatooine storyline (and the Republic bonus series was okay) but I hated the Republic Taris Storyline + Bonus and the Imperial Taris Bonus Series.

There's always some good ones and bad ones, and if they don't focus on the story then we're going to get a lot of bad ones.

Never said class storylines. I said "story content." Stuff like a decent planetary storyline rather than "kill 100 mobs and then watch a 15 second cutscene." I loved both versions of the Tatooine storyline (and the Republic bonus series was okay) but I hated the Republic Taris Storyline + Bonus and the Imperial Taris Bonus Series.

There's always some good ones and bad ones, and if they don't focus on the story then we're going to get a lot of bad ones.

Every quest in this game is "kill 100 mobs and then watch a cutscene". Sometimes you also have to click glowies while killing those mobs. Sometimes the glowy is the only quest objective, but it's behind 100 mobs. That isn't really that big of a deal, the failure is that killing those 100 mobs is exactly the same at every level between 1-50.

They fired all their story people.

Who have said they wrote stories well past where we've left off. Why do they need to keep all of them employed if the long term stories are written? They don't need a lot of writers for small expansions and FPs/Ops.

Also doesn't change the fact you said "they told us there will be no more class stories" when they've never done so.

Edited by DaRoamer

Who have said they wrote stories well past where we've left off. Why do they need to keep all of them employed if the long term stories are written? They don't need a lot of writers for small expansions and FPs/Ops.

Also doesn't change the fact you said "they told us there will be no more class stories" when they've never done so.

Yet, one full year afterwards, all we`re getting is a crap planet that was announced in june with generic story crap Empire vs Republic, or hutts vs everybody.

Yep... if they go a bit slower with their years of story content, they might not have anyone to sell it to...

Edited by Styxx

Seems very good, potentially very very good.

At the end it seems to be them being cautious that Old Republic just went f2p with micro transactions so it seems to be very successful in the short term but they are cautious about the long term.

In my opinion this is probably the best news we could see, better than I thought would come from f2p. It means if things keep going the way they are going we should be very happy. No one knows the future though and how a game will play out so we should be cautious. I think they've learned to be cautious when it comes to MMOs now.

They should really try and hit it out of the park with Makeb,i think they know that this game is hanging by a fine line of getting alot more subs and players or people walking away with what they do in the next three to six months. Edited by Sathid

Yeah, makes TOTAL sense. Just like they make so much money off map packs they've decided to stop making Battlefield games and just keep making maps from here on out.

Logic, how does it work?

You do realize that Battlefield 4 is coming out at the end of the year, right?