HM FP: You Caused Wipe, I Need on Your Gear for Repair

itsmymillertime

I certainly hate having new people that don't bother to say that they haven't run the flashpoint before and then proceed to cause several wipes. I wouldn't go so far as to need on everything.

I've healed all kinds of weird and bad runs. Largely with lippy tanks who suck and dps that can't fight their way out of a paper bag. I've dpsed runs where I was tanking more times than the tank.

I've yet to have a lippy healer demand guard, not like I'm giving it to them anyway. I actually do my job, which some healers compliment me on.

If a run becomes too much of a hassle I'll simply just up and leave. I can re-queue and the pug can continue or break up.

That doesn't mean I drop group at the first sign of trouble, I've stayed behind on groups with dps in the wrong gear, using the wrong spec and having no idea what they're doing. While I don't know much about their class, I've provided links to websites with guides and helped them sort out their gear.

However, there are some people that know everything and can't be told. I won't waste my time on such people as they clearly know what they're doing and will continue to perform at the poorest rate possible until they realize something is wrong.

It really depends on the group.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the time someone was looking for a healer for SM Ops for "quick and ez comms." I had read up on the fights before hand (because prior experience has taught me that going in blind will earn you very, VERY fast /ignores) but I hadn't actually done them before. I made the unfortunate mistake of informing the person LFM on fleet of this and was promptly rejected because they needed someone who knew the fights so they could get fast comms.

So fast in fact, they spent the next 45 minutes looking for a willing healer. No idea if they just gave up and quit looking or if they finally got their oh so fast comms. Lesson learned: lie through your teeth about your experience or you will never see progression once everyone /quits.

I needed the daily HM on a Saturday night around 2am Central so I queued up for Group Finder.

I get Maelstrom Prison with 3 characters in Tionese gear. No worries, I'm a well geared healer and I normally don't have issues keeping the under-geared alive even if the 15k hp tank had me a bit worried.

The problem hit at Colonel Daksh. After the tank stayed put during the Optical Implant phase I explained the fight. The tank swore this was a new alt and he knew the fight.

2nd try, the tank hid before the Optical phase and when it started moved out to attack. Meanwhile the DPS kept getting spanked and whenever I tried to heal them they broke line of sight to me (while keeping the boss in LoS).

I once again explained the fight and told everyone which boxes to hide behind so I could heal and explained to the DPS to stop breaking my LoS.

3rd try, no one listened and as they started dropping I /stuck and dropped the group.

Even had they listened I would have eaten the 14k repair costs for the two deaths as I don't need credits and I'd much rather have these new players get better gear. Needing on gear you don't need just to sell it is probably the biggest d-bag move I've seen in game thus far, and I've been around the block a few times in MMO's. I'm reasonable certain the OP never had people need on gear he needed when he caused a wipe.

Hopefully word of his misdeeds gets around and he gets put on many, many ignore lists. When it takes him a few hours for a queue to pop he might just rethink his ignorance.

I can see the OPs point. I don't agree with how it was presented exactly. But, all sides have to assume every one is being up front about their gearing, skills, and anything else pertinent to a HM. If i am doing something that i may need guidance on, i'll let people know hoping that they can/will coach me. If they want me to give up some of my loot to pay for repair costs caused by my lack of capability, then bring that up before hand and we can negotiate. To me, that would be a valid request, and potentially worth the cost.

Still, with all that being said, you still have to assume everyone is being upfront and will live by their agreements. That., sadly isn't always the case; which makes people( the most important part of this MMO game), the number one killjoy of the game.

The OP still groups up. I do so rarely. RL interferes mostly, but too many buttholes in game have crushed my desire to group up outside my guild and select friends. He deals with people by laying a hardline, I deal with it by not dealing with others. So, I can see his point clearly. Maybe he can approach it in a better way, but that is his call.

So, after all that, did I make a point?

It can be tough being a new player to start doing hm fp for the first time. Most of the people you get queued with have ran the fp so many times they could do it in their sleep not to mention usually outgear the content. You can look up guides to help you but it also doesn't explain in those guides that your teamates will hug walls and run ahead to avoid mob spawns, so if you aren't right on their *** you will get stuck. Also if you have a stealther in the group more than likely they will cc a target to run past it, that's great assuming you don't die and have to run back because you're in a spot where you can't be rezzed, now you'll be stuck and have to politely ask for them to come back to cc the target again so you don't aggro. I was in a group where one other member accidentally aggroed and died on the way back so he got kicked because they were impatient. That's how it was for me anyways when I decided to run fps for the first time like 10 months after launch since I only pvp'd prior to that. Really all you need is one full play through to learn the ins and outs and any future runs will be easy but most people just want quick runs for their daily and don't want to be grouped with a learner. Edited by Darth-Rammstein

Wow. This is by far the most obnoxious thread I've seen on here for a while.

I can't even begin to describe how shocked I am to see someone post this and expect people to even remotely agree. Your way of handling this is just terrible, and I hope you'll stop queue'ing until you realize that.

At least have the decency to tell them of the elitist policy you're running before stepping into an instance.

quoted for truth.

Glad i'm on Jedi Covenant and not Harbringer, or... words could not describe what would happen :d_evil::wea_05:

This weekend was the first time I had a bunch of people who were under-geared and without knowledge of the fights. Some people still do not know about the free gear for pvp and pve and people, especially tanks who dont know the fights never say I am new, yet their actions clearly show me they are new and I ask them. Only after a few wipes do people admit to being new.

Because of this I feel to need on the loot at the end to cover the expense of the repair bill I have waiting for me because of others not knowing the fights, unnecessary pulls, tanking in dps gear etc. Most people do these are over geared and know the fights and just want fast comm runs.

Anyone else feel the urge to take their loot and move on? Getting put on their ignore list helps keep mine clear and I dont have to worry about grouping with them again.

Win - Win

Actually, I find it sad that people whine about repair costs. :p Oh noes! Must do a few easier quests to get back the creds. :p

Also, you realize if they're failing by having low gear, you needing on it, when you don't need it, and they do, just keeps them failing due to low gear. You're basically shooting yourself int he foot.

Also, while I've never had a problem with telling people "Hey, never done this before!" I do know there are players (likely like you) who will then quit the team. :p

I can see the OPs point. I don't agree with how it was presented exactly. But, all sides have to assume every one is being up front about their gearing, skills, and anything else pertinent to a HM. If i am doing something that i may need guidance on, i'll let people know hoping that they can/will coach me. If they want me to give up some of my loot to pay for repair costs caused by my lack of capability, then bring that up before hand and we can negotiate. To me, that would be a valid request, and potentially worth the cost.

Still, with all that being said, you still have to assume everyone is being upfront and will live by their agreements. That., sadly isn't always the case; which makes people( the most important part of this MMO game), the number one killjoy of the game.

The OP still groups up. I do so rarely. RL interferes mostly, but too many buttholes in game have crushed my desire to group up outside my guild and select friends. He deals with people by laying a hardline, I deal with it by not dealing with others. So, I can see his point clearly. Maybe he can approach it in a better way, but that is his call.

So, after all that, did I make a point?

perhaps your right, not all the information is in the OP and people trolling like they do, grab at a partial straw and then go with it instead of looking at the whole picture. When playing with others its proper to state if your new and need help instead of blindly going in and hope no one notices your new, but its obvious by their actions that they are new so I try to ask if they are new since the game is a year old, most people doing hm fp know the fights and its assumed people know the fights, just like how people assume all group members follow the same loot rule even though you never tell them YOUR loot rules. If this was a year ago in the past, I would not have started this thread, but the game has been out a year and its not that hard to learn before you actively try it. I guarantee on the next new flashpoint, I will never need on loot since no one will know the fight.

I remember my FIRST EVER raid in SWTOR. Hard mode eternity vault. a PUG. Before I joined the raid, I made it perfectly clear to leader I had never been there or raided at all in first place. I explained how I had not checked any tactics via Youtube or some such. He says he is okay with this. Raid gets a rough start(not due to me mind you!!) and we wipe a numberof times here and there. I'm doing perfectly fine til last boss. There my mistakes wipe the entire raid one or two times. By then we've wiped tons of times and raid falls apart. Raid leader, who is a GM of the largest social guild of the server (pubbie side anyway) then spends 30-45 minutes in neurotic passive agressive fury explaining me how I am terrible player and bad person. Because I make mistakes. On my first raid ever. In place I have no previous knowledge of. He is gracious enough to explain how he himself never makes mistakes thanks to careful preparation.(he actuallyt said just this.) This 2 hours after a raid he was leading wiped 2 or 3 times on very first pull due to lack of leadership or anyone apparently knowing who tanks what.

As a highly related note, GM of SYDE (EU RP) is absolutely insufferable man child and for this reason I'd deem it wise to dodge the guild if I were you.

Edited by Stradlin

OP, I can understand your frustration as I have been through it myself. But that doesnt excuse you being a total A*hole by needing everything.

The decent thing to do would be to state clearly early on in the game when it was clear you had to carry everyone FYI I will be pressing NEED on ALL loot to cover the costs of my repairs since I have to carry you people who are both inexperienced and undergeared for this FP. If its unacceptable to you, feel free to kick me and carry on by yourselves.

Thats what a decent person would have done.

That or leave the group.

As a highly related note, GM of SYDE (EU RP) is insuffrable man child and for this reason I'd deem it wise to dodge the guild if I were you.[/u][/i][/b]

Hence the reason I stay out of guilds entirely and have turned on the auto guild decline (hate ninja guild invites - people assume since im not in a guild, i must be desperate to join one).

Guilds tend to be full of politics and insufferable people. Not worth the trouble from a game where you are supposed to be having fun...

I have many good friends from many of the big guilds (SYDE included). They know me, I know them. We have a good time by PUGing together.

*snipped*

I thanked the other DPS who was far more gracious then moronic idiot could ever be and the put moronic idiot on ignore so I NEVER have to group with him again.

So if you read all that, I pose this question.

How is that suppose to be fun for anyone?

That is the fun, and the risk, of pickup groups.

The first time you found a player who was genuinely good, and who you would love to run a flashpoint with any time.

The second time you found a player who was quietly competent.

... And a player who was at the other extreme of the curve.

If you don't run the risk of the third player you will never find the first either.

No, running with a bad player is never fun, but it is up to you to decide if it is worth the risk considering that you can also have a group that works together fantastically and gives you a wonderful time completing a difficult flashpoint.

Do I feel the urge to steal from the other group members you ask? No, no I do not. Several reasons even.

I do not abuse the need/greed buttons. Their purpose, as I understand it, is to flag gear that's an upgrade to you or otherwise useful (like say a crafting schematic) or indicating that you have no need for it but would like the cash it can provide. I like to assume most people think the same and thus far it's usually been my experience that people do, the occasional greedy ***-hat aside.

I do not need the pocket change stealing the items would give. Even if dying several times brings my repair bill up to 10 or even 15K credits that can easily be had back within minutes with a daily quest or two. A couple of the Ilum dailies are in the same area and can be done at the same time, they take about 3 minutes total for both and gives a mission reward of 10,7K x 2. Or there's the Black Hole daily that has you running around the room you acquire the mission, clicking a usable mission item and getting 7K for doing that with no danger involved in a minute or two. Meanwhile stealing and vendoring the prototype/artifact items that drop off the last FP boss is worth a few meager thousand each.

It's just an outright douchebag thing to do. There's enough other douchebags out there and the game can do just fine without adding me to the list. Taking gear I do not need, but the other group members quite likely do being new to the place and all, to get petty cash I can easily get from crafting or dailies, is just scummy. Doesn't matter how much they might piss me off or made me die, it doesn't excuse being an ***. A far better solution would simply be leaving if it's that annoying. Don't play to be annoyed after all.

Dont worry, I am a clicker/ keyboard turner. But I did just buy a Razer Naga Epic during Razer's 50 percent off deal last week.

50% off??? DANG IT!!!! I've been wanting to get a Naga for ages... gonna have to keep an eye out for sales like this.

So not only do you act terrible in the FP you feel immediately taking all loot and sticking them all on ignore is the "way forward".

Can you tell me your character names and which server you are on? Just so I don't run in to you.

Please please do this so I can set you on ignore.

This is the typical elitist attitude that is just repulsive and can turn even the most seasoned gamer off from playing after a while. I've played various MMO's for quite a few years now and I've watched as groups would not even consider letting a new person into a raid/group/whatever you want to call it. They call out for "must know fights/must be geared" forgetting that you gotta do the events to get geared, you gotta do the events to know the fights. People beg for help from then general population and then complain when they get less then the elite of the elite. To that I say, to 'effing' bad. Deal with it, teach them, show them what is needed. If they lack the ability to tell you up front that they didn't know the fight then boot them. However do not ever stoop to the level of needing on a piece of gear that isn't even for your class, just because you want to get the credits for it, or to punish them. That makes you the loot ninja/ho that no one can stand and that is far worse then simply not knowing a fight. I don't care if the gear is even good for your companion, you should never need on it when someone else in the group could use it. That is the lowest of lows, and I can not help but think of how other people who might group with you think of this practice, while you might be punishing those who don't know the fights, how are those who do know the fights seeing this greed of yours in taking as much loot as you can. Shocking indeed, and I am surprised that you then defend your actions in saying that you are this wonderful leader and always look out for others. Your two posts do not paint the same picture of you.