Is Taris even worth saving?

natashina

Hell no.

and what's worse, because of how virulent the Rakghoul plague is, two rakghouls from the same social group can have sufficiently different strains that the vaccine will only work against one of them - if that!

[citation needed]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Taris worth saving?

No. Death Star it. Please. I beg of you

In all of its incarnations, Taris is boring, tedious, and entirely too long.

Now...as far as lore goes...Still, probably not. It will be entirely too expensive in credits, effort, and most importantly, lives. Not that Sareesh cares about that.

I was frankly dumbfounded to find her elevated to the position of Supreme Chancellor in the endgame. I would have thought that losing the planet to the Sith...again, would have been enough to hurt her career.

I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

Speaking of politicians...

Ah, Governor Seresh. I always wondered who she crossed to end up there. When I go back and do the Taris storyline, I think she made someone angry and got sent to Taris. I think Taris is her pet project to redeem herself and the rest is just lip service.

I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

Thoughts?

No, I don't think Taris is worth saving. It's been too far gone for 300 years.

As for Governor Saresh, I think it was a vote of confidence that got her placed there. At least, I'm assuming that will be your opinion when you see her at her next assignment.

Hmm... if memory serves me right, then the original plague, transmitted trough the Force by the Muur Talisman, only affected humans and a select few other species. That's why Zane's sidekick Gryph didn't turn, despite not being force sensitive.

But, if he would have been bitten, he would have turned, right?

Ok, looking at it from the other end:

If we permit other c-canon sources, then Taris eventualy got resettled at some point during the next 4 millenia. So either the republic got on top of the Rakghouls eventualy, or the problem somehow went away by itself.

Any ideas?

Since you are so adamant to rule out conventional methods ;), what unconventional methods come to mind?

Gotta go with you here. Everything you've said made sense, and I too would like to see what would happen.

Edited by Canino

Another question I have is how they would get rid of the rahkghouls? Sure, they have an extremely long amount of time between ToR's point in the timeline and CWs. However, I do wonder how they could even get rid of the rakhghouls to make Taris worthwhile? I agree that the power of symbolism is very strong and perhaps even enough to clean up the planet fully. Just...how? :rak_02:

I've played both the Imperial side and the Republic side through Taris and the idea of saving Taris seems silly to me.

So, the Imp side wants it fully destroyed to "remind the Republic of it's failure." The Republic politicians want to save Taris, thinking they can reclaim it. What's funny about that is, if you talk to most of the Trooper npcs, they wonder what the point is too.

I personally side with the Imps. The planet just needs to be put out of its misery. When the Republic finishes its studies, they should bail out too. The planet seems so damaged it's beyond repair.

The arguments for reclaiming Taris are explained when you first arrive on the planet, and now that the Republic actually started with the work they have to see it through. It now must either become a symbol for the Republic or for the Empire. Any consideration if it was worthwhile to sink in billions of credits into the project have been made before the project started and are now largely irrelevant. The only reason the Republic can give up is when they have bigger problems that make losing this propaganda battle against the Empire seem insignificant. At that point it truly has become pointless as the Empire will have effectively won the war already and Taris is just a footnote in the story of that war.

The second, unvoiced but much more pressing, reason to go on with the reclamation is that Taris in its current form is pretty much a zombie factory chock full with an incredibly valuable hoard of metals, precious and regular. Scavengers will come to the planet and sooner or later they will bring the plague off world. And if not them then the Empire or another lunatic hell bent on galactic domination will seek to weaponise the rakghouls. With a disaease that virulent and that mutable it will fail as a weapon but it will still cause the death of triillions of people and turn any planet effectively uninhabitable that gets infected.

So the Republic needs to establish a foothold there and study the rakghouls and ways to contain or erradicate them. Before somebody else does the same and dumps a few dozen rakghouls on each of their major planets.

Guys, it doesn't matter if it is worth to save Taris or not.

By the time of when Jacen Solo becomes Darth Caedus, the planet is back to the state it was before malak wrecked it.

Boba Fett has apartments on the planet and it's home away from Mandalore when he is out and about.

Whether or not it is saved is a moot point. It has already BEEN saved in cannon. Moot Point.

Speaking of politicians...

Ah, Governor Seresh. I always wondered who she crossed to end up there. When I go back and do the Taris storyline, I think she made someone angry and got sent to Taris. I think Taris is her pet project to redeem herself and the rest is just lip service.

Thoughts?

Taris is worth saving, even though it costs precious time and resources, it will remind the galaxy of the Republic's power and determination. And if any Rakghouls come along i'll either :wea_09: or :wea_03: them.

• 1 month later...

Taris is by far my most hated planet in SW:ToR. I mean, they're all just mario-levels with no value other than combat grinding and quests, but Taris is my least favourite. It's a complete pain in the arse, it's riddled with random aggro mobs every 10 paces and is a pain to travel around.

Tatooine a close second.

So many wasted worlds, a game full of set mario level planets with no lasting appeal after you've done the killing and quests on them.

The arguments for reclaiming Taris are explained when you first arrive on the planet, and now that the Republic actually started with the work they have to see it through. It now must either become a symbol for the Republic or for the Empire. Any consideration if it was worthwhile to sink in billions of credits into the project have been made before the project started and are now largely irrelevant. The only reason the Republic can give up is when they have bigger problems that make losing this propaganda battle against the Empire seem insignificant. At that point it truly has become pointless as the Empire will have effectively won the war already and Taris is just a footnote in the story of that war.

The second, unvoiced but much more pressing, reason to go on with the reclamation is that Taris in its current form is pretty much a zombie factory chock full with an incredibly valuable hoard of metals, precious and regular. Scavengers will come to the planet and sooner or later they will bring the plague off world. And if not them then the Empire or another lunatic hell bent on galactic domination will seek to weaponise the rakghouls. With a disaease that virulent and that mutable it will fail as a weapon but it will still cause the death of triillions of people and turn any planet effectively uninhabitable that gets infected.

So the Republic needs to establish a foothold there and study the rakghouls and ways to contain or erradicate them. Before somebody else does the same and dumps a few dozen rakghouls on each of their major planets.

First of all, the Galaxy already almost had a brush with Rakghoul Disaster. Several, in fact. First, the basic Rakghouls on Taris. Then, the Stardream brought the plague to Tatooine (yes, the Outbreak was canonical). Then, finally, the Lorrick crisis, bringing zombifying chaos to Kaon and Ord Mantell. So yeah, your opinion is quite valid.

No. The sith emperor used a dark side ritual to kill the planet as a way to become immortal.

I wouldn't put Nathema on a list of destroyed planets though. The planet is fine. Everything there is in perfect working condition. And the atmosphere is fine.

It's just been wiped clean of all living things. Poof. Gone.

And it's probably not a fun place for force sensitives to be around.

What you need to remember is that Taris is an ecumenopolis - an entire planet covered in cityscape. Very few full planets, even in Star Wars, boast the same - Coruscant, Corellia, Alsakan and Anaxes are some of the few. Even Nar Shaddaa is merely a moon, far smaller than Taris.

The resources required to recolonize and reconstitute Taris are a microfraction of the resources required to create an entire ecumenopolis even on an already mostly urbanized planet. The original infrastructure is, according to several NPCs, "Surprisingly intact" as well.

It seems to me that it is like the world trade center's, it would cost more to clean up that rubble pile, then it would cost to build new buildings.

not the same scale but sometimes its easier to clean a slate and start again, the only reason Taris is being rebuilt is because of the symbol it provides the republic, and with a Sith empire on my arse i would probably be more worried about how many ships i can built this week, not how many repairs i can do on Taris.

If you ask me, knowing the future makes any kind of saving or reclaiming scheme rather fruitless. As far as Taris goes, we already know that even after three thousand years, Taris never recovers. So, would I want to help in a recovery project there? No. It would be futile. Of my characters, my Jedi would not mind helping. My smuggler wouldn't mind running supplies there (as long as she is paid, of course.) But that's about it.

Taris would seem to hold two purposes: one, it's a, if not THE, source for study of the rakghoul plague. Second, there is still that vault where the leaders of the planet in the past are frozen in carbonite. In that, there is still some value. Beyond that, I cannot think of any reason to restore the planet or what value it has.

Well, it can be a great source of scavanged metal. But recycling metal does not seem to be something those in the Star Wars universe seem to care to do. Especially when you consider that there are whole planets used for trash and old ship disposal.

Taris' purpose right now does seem silly. Well, for the Republic that is.

The Republic has not need to save the planet. It is in total ruin. Even if they were able to conquer the planet back, it would take even more resources to jump start it once more. Those resources should be distributed elsewhere.

Imperials know Taris' true purpose, however. A few of them stated that they are battling Republic forces on Taris simply to keep the enemy busy. As long as the Republic keeps spending, the Imperials are winning.

• 2 years later...

There is another possibility, taris is also worth recycling. At this time Coruscant is still recovering from being sacked from the Siths attack, where do they get the metals, permacrete etc to rebuild? Send some disposable troops and refugees (catharsis) to clear and "rebuild". With a fair portion of the materials that the teams clear, processed and shipped off planet. sound crazy and implausible? Why ship materials halfway across the quadrent?

Here are a couple of real world examples. Toyota's first cars were made from steel recycle from old American cars. The cathedral in Mexico city was built from the Aztec temple that stood not far away.

Back to Star Wars, Feed the truly desperate a **** and bull story about reclaiming Taris, you could empty many a ghetto on many a core world, get building materials for you own infrastructure, force the empire to commit materials without and real gain. And there is the additional possibility that the colonist might actually succeed.