Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

Cybridwarform

I just finished chapter one and i must say i am rather bored ******** with this story. They all follow the same bland trend.

go here,

get disappointed.

follow up here.

get turned down.

follow up here.

directed somewhere else.

Will this sotry change in the later chapters? If this continues i think ill just continue with my agent instead. From what ive heard the agent storyline is actually witty and etertaining. So far i rolled agent last night and i am in love with the story. I didn't even notice i was level 10 by the time i had to pass out for work and i want to rush back home to find out more. -I love my smuggler but sadly not so much his story.

I have yet to actually "smuggle" anything... -.-; Seems i spend 1-17 getting my ship, 7-30 gearing it out for some crazy mission, and 30-33 i get disapointed at how easy it was to kill the vault boss but returning to kill the tool who stole my ship originally gave me great satisfaction. I also cheered as it ended the most boring quest line ive done in my gaming history. I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.

So far I have felt the Smuggler and Agent story lines to be the only entertaining ones. Sadly I think the imperial stories are more interesting and the classes more appealing and that is why there are so many more Imps on my server. I have a level 50 Scoundrel and a 50 Sniper and I really enjoyed both story lines.

As for your breakdown of the story, I think most fit that description. I have been leveling a guardian and a Sage and after getting around lvl 15 I started space barring though story. So boring. I am running out of motivation to play either of them. I am currently on Alderaan with both toons and have already thought about trying the Trooper story instead.

I think the Agent story starts out strong but it gets progressively worse because it's like they used up all the awesome characters by chapter 1, after that you're just fighting gimpier versions of guys you've already defeated (in terms of story).

Agreed. The Smuggler story is awesome. The final boss is a bit of a letdown, but everything else was a great pirate adventure.

I ran LS until Act 3, when I decided it was time to be greedy. The best part of smuggler? What you make of it. It really feels like you can go beyond what happens in the story, gets you in the moment. I've played every class, and none feel like how the smuggler does. It's unique. I agree, parts of the story were a let down, but it had it's twists and overall, well done.

i think a big part of why i like the smuggler story is due to the dialogue choices (i swear, smugglers have the best lines).

Agreed. The Han Solo tribute class brings the humor and defiance as one would expect. Even if you're playing lightside, I'd recommend trying the bad girl/boy with, when it comes down to it, a good heart. Or do like me and just go darkside!!! You're not a trooper following regulations or a goodie-goodie Jedi. Even Akaavi laughs at some of the smuggler jokes. And I particularly like the lines that become the smuggler calling cards:

"It's hard to be humble knowing how great I am."

"You're about to see a real, live hero in action."

Moreover, he seems to hook up all of the time.

I've sure enjoyed the ride so far... on Belsavis, level 45 atm.

I agree with those that feel Act I of the Smuggler story was pretty good (featuring stolen ships, smuggling, crime lords, etc...), but Act 2 and 3 become much more generic as you become more aligned with the Republic and end up working for them the rest of the way, just like Han Sol....waitaminute...!!!!!

Yeah - it's written that way because it's basically Han's story arc from Episode IV through VI. Personally, I would have preferred to be more involved with bounty hunters, smugglers, crime lords, Hutts, underwolrd, etc.... throughout all acts than get so much Empire/Sith....save that for the Jedi/Trooper classes.

Speaking of Jedi, my only other 50 is the Jedi Knight...and man did that get boring! You start out saving worlds from death machines......and you do it again and again and again and again. It just loses impact after saving the third planet or whatever.

Anyhoo - based on the general consensus, Imperial Agent is the best story and I'll be giving it a shot next. Unfortunately, it's the mirror class to the Smuggler that I've played to death......

I'm sorry to hear about how much people don't enjoy the smuggler. I just recently got my smuggler (also my first character) to level 50 and I loved everything. I loved all of the witty one liners and how my gunslinger could put out more damage than Darth Vader on Kashyyyk (Force Unleashed Reference). I loved the Han Solo story arc and I felt the companions were perfect. I hope you can find a class you like and stop badmouthing the one I personally love.

• 3 weeks later...
There's not really any particularly sensible motivation or reasoning for why the republic military seems to trust some random civilian an awful lot in the general quests etc.

Exactly! I just got done with Alderaan and I had Republic Generals sending me out to kill Sith for goodness sake. This is nearly the most unrealistic thing you could ask a fatass smuggler to do and it's for sure not the kind of job a smuggler would take on.

How have you not smuggled anything? Did you not have the head in the jar, or the monster thing in the cage?

Smuggling means to export or import secretly and illegally. Things like the head in the jar are just plot items that only exist while the script calls for them.

The biggest flaw I felt in the Smuggler story was a lack of motivation.

Han Solo doubles back to the death star, joins the rebellion, and battles the Empire ultimately because he cares for Leia.

Lando regrets his dealings with the Empire, betrays their confidence, blows up the death star and joins the rebellion ultimately out of his anger towards Vader over the betrayal.

With the Smuggler Class story, we go through a similar turn away from our shadey dealings and become loyal soldiers for the Republic, but we're never really given a good reason why. We need a bad guy on the Imperial side that turns something personal, so that helping the Republic also seems like it's in our own best interest. Or we need our Romance companions to be more loyal to the Republic and nudging us along the path of the hero.

Rogun the Butcher makes a terrible antagonist because he is actually introduced as a force that was selling blasters to the Republic aligned forces on Ord Mandell. Then he becomes furious with us when we lose his blasters to the Imperial backed Seperatists. If it's just about the money, we should be able to buy our way out. If he has any amount of personal conviction in the war, then he should be aligned with the Republic that he was supporting. In either case, becoming a Republic Privateer to oppose him makes almost no sense.

Now, instead, if...

...they would have ran with the House Terann nobles on Alderaan, I feel like they could have really captured the feel of the Smuggler. Have those nobles posed to get their fortune back, only to be kidnapped by Imperial backed Baliss, and then taken off-world to an Imperial prison. Then, whether your romanced one of them and you're in it for smooches or whether you play a bit more cold-hearted and you just want the money they promised (plus a substantial bonus for the additional rescue), fighting your way through Imperial territory and troops to retrieve the captive Prince/Princess would have been perfect motivation for the Smuggler.

I feel like, at the end of the day, if my Smuggler is to be helping the Republic, that is fine. But he should be doing it for reasons more personal than "patriotism".

• 2 weeks later...
With the Smuggler Class story, we go through a similar turn away from our shadey dealings and become loyal soldiers for the Republic, but we're never really given a good reason why. We need a bad guy on the Imperial side that turns something personal, so that helping the Republic also seems like it's in our own best interest. Or we need our Romance companions to be more loyal to the Republic and nudging us along the path of the hero.

there is a reason u turn to help the republic, and im amazed that ppl dont pay attention tot he story line ( even tho i will admit it felt a littl rushed)

the reason u joined the republic was because they said they will protect u from the butcher

I loved Smuggler Chapter 1.

I can barely remember anything from the Agent story it was so bland and predictable where Smuggler has so many epic cutscenes and a chapter 1 boss I actually cared about killing.

All the twists in the Agent story were heavily and clumsily telegraphed and the last boss can be defeated with the no cost rifle shot.

there is a reason u turn to help the republic, and im amazed that ppl dont pay attention tot he story line ( even tho i will admit it felt a littl rushed)

the reason u joined the republic was because they said they will protect u from the butcher

No they didn't, they said that they would ignore your criminal history...

No they didn't, they said that they would ignore your criminal history...

Exactly. And turn a blind eye to some of our shadier dealings while we're doing their dirty work.

Still, I'm left with absolutely no motivation to help them.

I am not afraid of Rogun the Butcher; I just inherited Nok Drayen's wealth and I've got his daughter full of knowledge at my disposal.

I am confident I can escape the Voidwolf; I'm the new King of the Underworld.

I do not need the Republic to give me a legal pardon; they would have to catch me first and they've got their hands full.

Republic isn't paying; their great offer was that I could keep some of what I find. When I work without them, I can keep ALL of what I find.

The fact is, Han doesn't double back and help rebellion out of the goodness of his heart; he does it because he has a thing for Leia. My girl is already on my ship and gets a bit annoyed when I risk our lives to help people out with nothing in it for me. The classic Smugglers like Han and Lando have a change of heart, but they have a reason why. We are never given one; that is why our own Smuggler story falls flat.

We're supposed to help the Republic because we are a.. ahem.. "Law Abiding Citizen".

Exactly. And turn a blind eye to some of our shadier dealings while we're doing their dirty work.

Still, I'm left with absolutely no motivation to help them.

I am not afraid of Rogun the Butcher; I just inherited Nok Drayen's wealth and I've got his daughter full of knowledge at my disposal.

I am confident I can escape the Voidwolf; I'm the new King of the Underworld.

I do not need the Republic to give me a legal pardon; they would have to catch me first and they've got their hands full.

Republic isn't paying; their great offer was that I could keep some of what I find. When I work without them, I can keep ALL of what I find.

You're not the King of the Underworld just because you found Drayen's wealth. You're not even close.

Further: Their offer was to point you toward extremely lucrative marks, let you keep a percentage of what you find on those marks, provide you with a pardon, and give you a Letter of Marque.

Without them you'd never find

the large weapon on Balmorra worth a ridiculous number of credits, the imperial ship that's loaded with rare and valuable goods--nor be hooked up with the criminals who have the plan to take it, you'd never get a chance to set up an alliance with the Hutt Cartel, you'd never hear about the pirate fleet capable of full force cloaking, which you then have the opportunity to make your OWN fleet.

It's a ridiculous promise of money, and yes, Darmas does, further, promise to continue helping you hunt down Rogun while you're working for the Republic.

So reasons to help the republic:

1: Mountains and mountains of money and opportunity you wouldn't otherwise have access to.

2:

The Empire is after you because of their alleged connections to Rogun the Butcher, so hitting them helps you both directly and indirectly.

3: A full legal pardon making any further illegal activities much easier.

4: A Letter of Marque, making you basically untouchable by Republic law enforcement, so long as you don't do anything treasonous.

5: There's no actual government oversight on Privateers, meaning you can easily skim even more off the top than you're already allowed, or flat out keep the Republic's 'cut', claiming it was never there

(which is an actual option in a couple quests).

Reasons NOT to sign on as a Privateer

1: You'd rather run your life in 'hard mode'

2: ???

Well I really enjoy this story but I've been RPing it from a purely light sided, goody-twoshoes.

I'm such a weenie that I was actually a bit disappointed with the conclusion of Nok Draden.

When Nok suggested Risha kill me and keep all the spoils for herself, I wanted the option to freely give them to her considering most of them were her family heirlooms anyway.

That also would have tied in nicely with the personal convo with Risha later on when she wondered how I was going to make money while being a mercenary for hire that never actually charges people. Pretty sure I pounded the flirt and said I'll just have to marry into money. :D

The biggest flaw I felt in the Smuggler story was a lack of motivation.

Han Solo doubles back to the death star, joins the rebellion, and battles the Empire ultimately because he cares for Leia.

Lando regrets his dealings with the Empire, betrays their confidence, blows up the death star and joins the rebellion ultimately out of his anger towards Vader over the betrayal.

Rogun the Butcher makes a terrible antagonist because he is actually introduced as a force that was selling blasters to the Republic aligned forces on Ord Mandell. Then he becomes furious with us when we lose his blasters to the Imperial backed Seperatists. If it's just about the money, we should be able to buy our way out. If he has any amount of personal conviction in the war, then he should be aligned with the Republic that he was supporting. In either case, becoming a Republic Privateer to oppose him makes almost no sense.

It gets worse, sort of.

Pretty big spoiler so, beware.

Rogun is actually working for the republic, you were being stringed along.(you are initially lead to believe he works for the empire, which honestly makes no sense.)

It makes sense, I guess, but seriously lol.

Edited by Elegances

Agent story is tops. So awesome, so deep into the Star Wars theme, and just so perfectly cliche. Plus, the agent has the best attitude. No one can resist him.

I hope I become entertained with the smuggler because my Op is my favorite character so I decided I should probably make a scoundrel haha

You're not the King of the Underworld just because you found Drayen's wealth. You're not even close.

Further: Their offer was to point you toward extremely lucrative marks, let you keep a percentage of what you find on those marks, provide you with a pardon, and give you a Letter of Marque.

Without them you'd never find

the large weapon on Balmorra worth a ridiculous number of credits, the imperial ship that's loaded with rare and valuable goods--nor be hooked up with the criminals who have the plan to take it, you'd never get a chance to set up an alliance with the Hutt Cartel, you'd never hear about the pirate fleet capable of full force cloaking, which you then have the opportunity to make your OWN fleet.

It's a ridiculous promise of money, and yes, Darmas does, further, promise to continue helping you hunt down Rogun while you're working for the Republic.

So reasons to help the republic:

1: Mountains and mountains of money and opportunity you wouldn't otherwise have access to.

2:

The Empire is after you because of their alleged connections to Rogun the Butcher, so hitting them helps you both directly and indirectly.

3: A full legal pardon making any further illegal activities much easier.

4: A Letter of Marque, making you basically untouchable by Republic law enforcement, so long as you don't do anything treasonous.

5: There's no actual government oversight on Privateers, meaning you can easily skim even more off the top than you're already allowed, or flat out keep the Republic's 'cut', claiming it was never there

(which is an actual option in a couple quests).

Reasons NOT to sign on as a Privateer

1: You'd rather run your life in 'hard mode'

2: ???

Thank you!

Seriously. I had read a lot of complaints in these forums about that "lack of motivation" so, I was a little worried getting to the end of Chapter 1.

When I finally got there though, I was like: "Wow, the only thing missing in this deal is the code to the Supreme Chancellor's private account!"

I mean, they do all the boring "legwork", I get to keep whatever isn't nailed down, and, by the time it's over with I can buy and happily retire on the nearest resort planet of my choosing with full immunity?!!!

Oh do... please.... twist my arm... twist-twist.... :cool:

• 4 months later...

I didn't care for the smuggler story.

The story begins with a good reason to hate Skavak. For a while, you are pursuing him.

After Coruscant, a new mission begins which is only slightly related to Skavak. Now you are pursuing Nok Drayen's wealth, and Skavak is barely mentioned.

I like the end of the Nok Drayen story, but think that it is dumb that after mentioning the massive wealth, you only get 1 item. They should have had something in the storyline about the wealth vanishing.

I dislike the final confrontation with Skavak because after all of his evasions, he suddenly shows up without a plan.

They either should have given a story about finding and confronting him, or Skavak could have had a plan with traps, or a few companions.