Subbed for a month, won't be back

bespinsystem

Despite the fact I do love the game, I too recognise so many of the OP's complaints (and appreciate the humourous manner in which they were presented). Point 3 is particularly true. I don't think I have met a more xenophobic, rude, elitist bunch of gamers generally in any MMO I have ever played. To the many who say "all MMO communities are like this", you are so, so wrong. In every other MMO the only people on my ignore list were gold spammers, I cannot say the same here. Mind you, it isn't quite so bad now the community seems to have more or less accepted FTP gamers are here to stay (back in November, the mood was just...eek). And well, at least we don't have gold-sellers here.

Agreed, I'm not quite sure what it is, but the MMO community of SWTOR is down right awful compared to just about every other MMO I have played (WoW, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes, Champions, GW2, etc.) Probably the only reason I stay with this game is I have a friend who also plays and we are on about the same schedule and available to play at the same time and we have several "duos" of characters we have made where they work well together and we play through all the quests together. Makes it a lot more fun having one person you know knows what they are doing. We are able to do most of the Heroic 4s even with just companions and it makes the game a lot more enjoyable. Best example of the TOR community is to just log in and watch general chat every night, it's either a PMS war between players or some of the most idiotic banter going on that I have ever seen.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SWTOR, I think I love it so much because it's different from other MMOs (I've hated other MMORPGs I've tried such as WOW, FFXI, and a bunch of random f2p Asian ones) The things I like in video games are story, character building/development, companion interaction, dialogue choices, etc...and those things aren't the point in the MMOs I've tried before. Also for the first time I love playing with other people and not just irl friends. I think the way they did the flashpoints, and rolls for dialogue choice were really appealing. I also think maybe the game is easy for me because it's more similar to a traditional single player RPG than a traditional MMO? This thread HAS opened my eyes a bit though, and got me thinking I should try to actively reach out to and help new players. I didn't realize there were those having such a difficult/miserable time. :eek:

And just where do you go with roleplay anyway when every character of the same class has the same personal story as your own? Can I roleplay this very personal story? Well no, because not only is it actually not personal at all, but discussing it means revealing spoilers for those who are behind me in an Act or plan to roll the same class one day.

Of all of the criticisms that can be made of this game, this is the one I agree with the most and struggle with the most. The 'story' is simultaneously TOR's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. It makes what is otherwise a rather bland, generic themepark MMO into something genuinely engaging. The stories draw you in and make your characters seem to have personalities of their own. They are the reason I play. But at the same time, every other player running around with the same companion as me is a jarring reminder of just how impersonal and passive the whole experience is. If my Khem Val is the last of his kind, how come there are five others standing around at the stim vendor? It's an immersion yo-yo.

The whole thing is such an awkward and uncomfortable marriage of singleplayer and multiplayer elements that at times the latter (i.e. other players) feel like an unwelcome intrusion. I'm glad to play on what is probably the quietest server of all but that's something I would not be grateful for in any other MMO. Much as I enjoy the stories that the game presents - and I really do think they did a great job - I can't help wishing that they had instead constructed a game that provided the mechanisms to create my own story.

Edited by craic_fox

im pretty new to this game. i have a lvl 25 sin and few other low lvl toons. I agree it does feel like they push grouping up on you. I have had trouble getting quests completed due to not enough npcs. The space combat does feel pretty lame. you steer the ship but dont control where its going.(***) I do feel under powered when trying to do a lot of missions. The community for the most part on my server sound like a bunch of 12 year old *****s.

matter of fact i think a few posted before me in this thread.

flame away if you must. It doesnt make any ones opinion wrong. Just makes you sound like a know all stick in the butt nit picking looser.

sorry it i offended tried to keep this as PG13 as possible....or should i say PG12. :eek:

Seems you've had a totally different experience from me. Bring this down to bad luck or totally different expectations I guess.

I found the story quest/world quests suitably tailored to my level and gear progression and have very little trouble soloing everything (minus heroics) until around level 45, where it was still "doable" but I had to plan better to overcome the mobs.

Crafting was a breeze as soon as you get the droid for your ship to make everything - the only downside being having to spend credits to craft something. It gets harder and longer to find the materials as you progress, but that's to be expected.

Socially, I've found the members to be more polite and social than WoW and GW2 (my sole other MMO experiences). The RP'ing has been mostly confined to whispers or group chat, so perhaps that's why you didn't see any on your RP experience. The comment of grouping being forced...well I guess? You ask for a group and get whoever comes. But I don't see how this differs from any other social game.

As for your final point of space battles being a disappointment, I saw the space part to be a mini-game to give you a different experience away from the main component. Yeah, it's linear as can be and not very engaging, but it's a mini-game so I don't expect too much. Would I like it to be more open and engaging? Sure. However, since it is a mini game I don't put much weight on the matter.

I would like to compliment you (not that you'll come back to read this, especially after so long) on a well constructed and thoughtful post though. Unlike the majority of "I quit, cos this sucks!" posts.

Having read a majority of the OP it is very very clear he's never played WoW before. The resource/kill stealing and general ****** attitude of players is in no way an anomaly in this game.

I agree the the community here is very poor. I got my shock when I transitioned from SWG to WoW several years ago. The community on bloodfin in SWG was by far the best community in any MMO I've ever played. We even have a facebook group to keep in contact with each other. The rivalries were mostly friendly and the players generally good at what they did. However, WoW was filled with bitter people who I honestly believed were using the MMO as their medium to communicate to the outside world their anger and sadness before killing themselves. In general: if you ask a yes or no question and seven people say "yes" and one says "no"....then "no" is most likely the real answer.

As far as content difficulty and grouping goes. This game does not push grouping anymore than any other MMO I've ever played. You can effectively grind to 50 without ever getting in or forming a group.....ever. Also, if you are having difficulty doing the solo content it is most likely your skill selections/rotations/gear.

1. It is far harder to level SWTOR than WoW. However, things have been getting easier with the Cartel shop. Best Example? At one point, Bioware actual gave people 30 days of gaming if they made it to 50. I know many of you will scream at the top of your lungs, Leveling is Soooo easy. Compared to WoW, it's not easy. This is actually one of the guy's main and repeated complaints.

Say what?? Swtor Is the easiest and fastest MMO I ever hit Max level in. When I first played WoW a year after it launched it took me 6 months to Reach Max level of 60.

If you think Swtor is hard to level you're doing it wrong.

The leveling is the only thing worth playing.

I thought game was fun back when it first came out, but now I dont even know why i log in.

I love starwars and i can see a ton of potential but in reality, end game is just hanging out on fleet doing the same flashpoints you were doing over and over again months ago.

So if you don't enjoy the leveling, you are better off not bothering with end game because unless your just into the rinse/repeat gear grind then its not for you.

I come from SWG though, not WoW. So i am not the target audience here. I wanted something different from my starwars game.

Edited by kirorx

If someone is having trouble with on-level quests they need to check their gear and their companion's gear. It is easy to out level your gear and suffer for it. If you don't want to craft, even cheap greens on the GNT will get your gear up enough to be successful. Also, if you don't want to craft, train 3 gathering professions and sell the comps on the GNT. Don't forget to check your light/dark vendors for gear as well! If you are soloing, you can often get orange gear from flashpoints and heroics that you have outleveled.

If the planet you are on is too crowded, don't forget to check your map and see if there is another instance. Switching instances can cut way down on the competition for quest objectives and resources!

If you're finiding leveling difficult at 1-20 it's because you're not grinding/doing side quests, not getting your new abilities, or not equipping better gear as it becomes available.

When I first started playing this game (my first MMO) I thought the same thing about the Shadow and Sorc stories. I was more concerned with completing the story quests as quickly as possible and would avoid trash mobs because I simply thought that was efficient and intelligent. I didn't do many heroics because grouping was problematic, I was a noob and many folks saw that as a reason to berate me, what few that were actually on planet in order to make those groups. The game felt like a bit of a struggle but I just assumed I needed to learn more.

After leveling a few characters I came back to the same story lines and approached it in the manner of trash mobs and side quests are part of the leveling process. Throw in some actual grouping for heroics taboot and suddenly everything was a cakewalk. I blamed the game when I simply wansn't playing it as designed or good enough to do it "my way" even though some folks are.

If you enjoy the gameplay you'll figure out ways to make content friendly by approaching it slightly over leveled or over geared , finding like minded folks with which you do enjoy grouping, and ignoring the idiots that invariably exist in any public experience whether it be a game or going to the mall.

At any rate. Have fun whatever you decide to do!

The game do sent even start until level 50 so don't whine and b*tch how you took the adventure and didn't enjoy it cause you didn't take the adventure... you didn't even leave the parking lot.

Some specs pick up fairly early. Watchman is "easy" thanks to selfheals and high DOTs(PvE) and combat picks up around 35.

I have no idea how some people can consider solo content hard and why this is a bad thing. While playing SWTOR solo I had like 3 hard encounters. You need to utilize every advantage your class and companion has and it becomes fairly easy.

Edited by MelodicSixNine

The "tutorials" were immersive enough, although I found a disparity in their difficulty levels. The inquisitor's final quest seemed entirely too difficult (I assume pulling to the ledge and force pushing the droids all off is not an exploit, because that's the only way I could do it) and the trooper had an extremely tough quest in the final base on Ord Mantell (apparently you're SUPPOSED to keep zoning back out to med up after every kill to wipe aggro? If so, that's really cheap).

The Inquisitor's final quest on DK doesn't involve droids. Neither does his final one on Balmorra.:confused:

As for the Trooper one on Ord Mantell: No, you're supposed to kill all the enemies without dying. If you're having issues there I think you're aggroing more than 1 mob or are underleveled. On your first toon I'd suggest hitting that mission at level 9 after having geared yourself a bit. That should make it a joke and you'll be able to clear the whole room with no issue.

The Inquisitor's final quest on DK doesn't involve droids. Neither does his final one on Balmorra.:confused:

As for the Trooper one on Ord Mantell: No, you're supposed to kill all the enemies without dying. If you're having issues there I think you're aggroing more than 1 mob or are underleveled. On your first toon I'd suggest hitting that mission at level 9 after having geared yourself a bit. That should make it a joke and you'll be able to clear the whole room with no issue.

I think he means the final quest on Korriban, not Dromund Kaas, yeah, I found the one getting the new companion pretty hard too - but it didn't lead me to force pushing droids off the ledge - I just had to slog it to the companion, take it slow, and as soon as I got him... Bingo! Easier.

I will say, Jedi Consular and Inquisitor can be tough to level, because you're so fragile - you really finding yourself taking advantage of everything you possibly can just to make it through. Far, far, far easier than leveling a mage in classic and BC WoW though, that was my first and grueling to the point of ridiculous. So many deaths. SO MANY DEATHS.

Oh, the flashbacks.

No. NO, THEY COME!

This post has been here longer than the OP was. 8 characters to lvl 20. I'd be ready to shoot myself after so much repitition. That's why I only lvl one or two at a time, and if 2, then each on opposing sides. Much more fun that way, and way less repititious.

Yeah, I do the same thing, never level more than 2 characters at the same time and always opposite faction. Right now I'm focusing on a Vanguard and a Sorc.

*insert wall of text*

Well, you tried the starting and capital planets only, naturally those are the most overcrowded ones. Korriban can have 3 instance on our server at peak time while Dromund Kaas, Tython and Coruscant usually average at 2. It gets less crowded as you level up, from Act 2 onwards (Taris/Balmorra; Quesh; Hoth; Belsavis; Voss; Corellia; Ilum) you rarely see a full instance. But hey I personally love the amount of new people (for the most part; general chat can be annoying) because before the F2P launch you couldn't do all those heroic quests. Now you can.

About ninjas. They are not limited to SWTOR. They will take your mobs/loot/resource node in every game, it is hardly a new phenomenon. But complaining about stealing mobs? They are on an adaptive respawn timer, the more people quest in the area, the faster they respawn. And besides they cover such gigantic areas and are so numerous that I literally never in my one-year and one-month of SWTOR experience (been subbed since early access) had any problems with it. (The only annoying ones are the final stage bosses for staged bonus quests, but even most of those are associated with an interactive item that automatically spawns them.)

The game gets better as you get to higher levels. The PvE stories are exceptionally well put together and I enjoyed every character I got to 50. Leveling in this game is by far the most fun for me out of any MMOs. I had 2 max-level characters in WoW and 2 in Guild Wars in six years. I have 8 max level characters in SWTOR in less than 1 year! Story is the redeeming quality of this game and the class and planetary stories are awesome.

I however, I too, have issues with this game but none of those are related to PvE story and population levels. Some of them are:

-PvP feels like an afterthought in this game and never really got real attention from the developers. Some glaring balance issues since launch. Way too many CCs and Resolve needs to be more effective. Need a proper match-making algorith, cross server queues, premade/pug separation, more accessible rated warzones, worthwhile rated rewards, open world PvP and launch *********** Season 1 already.

-Codex has been broken since beta access. It's a mess. We know it, they know it but it's at the bottom of the priority list. I know not many people enjoy hunting down every Codex entry but I do. You put the Codex in the game, so allow me to complete it. And give a title for getting all the entries ffs....Scholar or something.

-Lack of an achievement system. We need more titles, reputation grinds (I know coming in 1.7), timed runs etc. to keep us occupied at endgame. I don't really have fun in PvP atm and flashpoints/dailies get boring after a while, so add achievement system please. Allow us to expand our legacy.

-Crafting BiS mods. Specifically getting Molecular Stabilizers from War Hero mods and crafting them into BiS PvE upgrades, which allows PvP'ers to get PvE gear faster than PvE raiders. Without ever stepping foot in an operation. Nonsense.

- Cartel Market reskins. This is what annoys me the most. Not-so-subtle attempts to get into our wallet. Most of the armor you add in the Cartel Market already exists in the game in some other color. You take it out, recolor it and offer it back to us for 10 dollars. No thanks. I've always said "Don't like it? Don't buy it. But don't criticise it for adding more variety." I only get pissed when Cartel reskins take priorty over the glaring issues mentioned above. Sometimes it has cool items though like the Destroyer Set, Gamorrean Axe, Czerka Incedia or the Patriotic Lawnmower (whatever the name of the Xmas speeder was).

Edited by CommanderKeeva

So you played all the way to lvl 20 an now you know everything about the game???

Clearly not and to quit or sorry canccel your sub because wll tbh bye we dont need you.

The vast majority of your issues are just that your issue and have nothing to do with the game. Maybe just maybe if you played the whole game you would see that but you cant even be bothered to make it 1/2 way before you bail.

This is th crap we dont need. You clearly never wanted to give the game a chance if you cant even be bother to make it lvl 50 once. So nothing aside from an I win botton would have made you happy. So is that what this is all about sorry this wasnt KoTR 3, Its an MMO. But again I can see how this could be mistaken seeing as you havent even played 1`/2 the game.