Does Clone Wars get better?

Shadokitty

Yesterday I watched the Clone Wars movie on Netflix, and while it wasn't bad, I didn't think it was great. I understand it was the pilot to the series, and was just wondering if the show got better after the pilot. I ask as I have thought about getting the Blu Rays.

The show gets immensely, immensely better. You may think Ahsoka is annoying now, but she becomes one of the most interesting and likable characters in Star Wars.

And Anakin is portrayed far, far more competently in CW than he is in any of the prequel movies.

Note that all of Clone Wars just came out on Netflix streaming, if you have a subscription.

One thing ... the show was not broadcast in chronological order. The early seasons especially are all over the place. There's a listing of the actual chronology online--it's best to watch the episodes in that order if you can.

The show gets immensely, immensely better. You may think Ahsoka is annoying now, but she becomes one of the most interesting and likable characters in Star Wars.

And Anakin is portrayed far, far more competently in CW than he is in any of the prequel movies.

Note that all of Clone Wars just came out on Netflix streaming, if you have a subscription.

One thing ... the show was not broadcast in chronological order. The early seasons especially are all over the place. There's a listing of the actual chronology online--it's best to watch the episodes in that order if you can.

Get to the end of season 3 and you'll start to enjoy it. I didn't like seasons one and two very much but by the end of three I was starting to enjoy it more.

That said, if you know your cannon, get ready to feel like your walking on glass barefoot through some of it. A lot of lore has to be reworked to fit some of this stuff, and there are a lot of inconsistencies in the portrayal of force powers.

On a serious note, once you meet Cad Bane, the show just excels from there. Season 1 is okay, Season 2 is getting there, but by S.3, it gets really good. Season 3 is my personal favorite, but 4 and 5 are very close. 6 isn't anything special, I'm afraid.

Yes, yes it does. The movie was, like you said, pretty so-so, however the writers really "find" themselves around season 2 or 3. Honestly, this series gets really good and it will actually allow you to appreciate the prequels a little bit more. After you get to the better points of the series you'll actually start to merge CW Anakin with Whiny McWhineskin from the prequels in your mind and it lessens the annoyance of Hayden Christensen.

In a sense, this series allows us to actually see Anakin as the hero Ben Kenobi described him to be, furthermore you can actually see a lot of the stresses that play upon and erode Anakin's will and his emotional strength. By the end, you kind of realize that Padme's death, while traumatic, was also the straw that broke the camel's back.

What most others said, the animation also gets much much better as well.

So yes, I'd advise getting the rest.

Also as another mentioned, they aren't actually in complete chronological order, some times they jump back and forth a bit. So if you can be bothered to reorder them (it doesn't really matter) you might want to check out the order.

Edited by Beniboybling

Clone Wars gets darker and darker and darker. That's all.

And because of that I didn't even watch Season 3 on TV, and stopped buying Season 4 & 5 for DVD (Season 3 was my last DVD buy).

I believe that this is something like how people prefer the Sith and the Empire : If things become more dramatic and more darker, people wiull happily buy it, because "dark & gritty" = cool nowadays. And that can be seen in gaming as well. And that's why Game Of Thrones does so well on TV. Peiople want to see blood, slaughter and darkness. Heavy Metal Clone Wars.

Good & Light & lighthearted = uncool, it seems to be.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

And because of that I didn't even watch Season 3 on TV, and stopped buying Season 4 & 5 for DVD (Season 3 was my last DVD buy).

I believe that this is something like how people prefer the Sith and the Empire : If things become more dramatic and more darker, people wiull happily buy it, because "dark & gritty" = cool nowadays. And that can be seen in gaming as well. And that's why Game Of Thrones does so well on TV. Peiople want to see blood, slaughter and darkness. Heavy Metal Clone Wars.

Clone Wars, dark and gritty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P9R4NxWpo4

Edited by Beniboybling

The show starts to hit its stride about midway through season one and only gets better from there. Paul Dini wrote maybe two episodes of season one, and I think maybe one in season two. Without knowing it while watching them, they were instantly two of my favorite episodes of the series.

Cad Bane makes his first appearance in the Season One finale (in all his Lee Van Cleef glory!) and the show starts to have some darker episodes.

Season Two rocks, Season Three was as waste in my opinion save a few episodes, Seasons Four and Five rock.

The quality of the animation gets noticeably better in season 2 and continues to improve from there.

The battle droids are used less for comedic value as the series goes on than they are in the opening few episodes of Season One and the Clone Wars movie.

Ashoka also sees less use in Seasons 3 and 4; and when she does show up, she's used quite well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by CaulderBenson

For me...it's not that things need to always be dark and gritty...it's just that it's more realistic and there is more emotional impact than pure "good and light and lighthearted".

A good middle ground would be nice...but if the only choice is between "good and light and lighthearted" or "dark and gritty"...than I will take dark and gritty everytime.

Edited by VitalityPrime

You are right, there is the tendency to make things more dark and gritty. (As far as I know that tendency started over twenty years ago, though.) And especially in Star Wars that's not always positive. I could ramble about that for some time, but that'd be off topic.

For the clone wars periode, that ship has sailed long ago. Episode III is dark and gritty (for a Star Wars movie) and so the Clone Wars series should get progressively more dark. The setting doesn't allow for much else. We know almost all characters will die within a few years, and having it be lighthearted all the time would be misplaced. (But lighter episodes are possible and they exist in every season except 6.)

Maybe Rebels will be more to your liking. It seems to be mostly lighthearted adventure stories and if they manage that and still manage to present the Empire as threatening and evil, I'm happy as well.

Edited by Maaruin

You are right, there is the tendency to make things more dark and gritty. (As far as I know that tendency started over twenty years ago, though.) And especially in Star Wars that's not always positive. I could ramble about that for some time, but that'd be off topic.

For the clone wars periode, that ship has sailed long ago. Episode III is dark and gritty (for a Star Wars movie) and so the Clone Wars series should get progressively more dark. The setting doesn't allow for much else. We know almost all characters will die within a few years, and having it be lighthearted all the time would be misplaced. (But lighter episodes are possible and they exist in every season except 6.)

Maybe Rebels will be more to your liking. It seems to be mostly lighthearted adventure stories and if they manage that and still manage to present the Empire as threatening and evil, I'm happy as well.

I agree, all things in moderation. An excess of dark and gritty action is no less harmful than an excess of lighthearted, unserious action. I feel Clone Wars has struck a firm balance.

I mean, watching some of the earliest episodes some of the humor and lightheartedness strikes me as odd. I feel especially in the movie there was an excess of jokes and quips when the situation they were in was in fact quite dire and serious, and it cheapened it a little, even if the humor was good, and it often was.

I honestly hope Rebels isn't too lighthearted either, for the same reason. Its set in the Dark Times, they shouldn't be laughing and joking all the time and having "fun" when the Galactic Empire is bearing down on them.

But Filoni has actually promised that that show will explore some darker themes as well, which is good to hear. Also I think the reason people prefer dark and gritty over lighthearted and fun is simple because its more realistic.

Star wars as a whole is pretty grim. Sure the good guys always win but it's fleeting at best, lasting only for like a decade or so... then you have your "hundred year darkness" your "infinate empire", your "Palpatine's empire"," One Sith empire" etc etc. The upper hand for the good guys is fleeting at best. But in a since that's it's charm. Unlike DC and Marvel for example, Most of these characters have a finite lifespan and generally don't get to come back (or stay revived long.) It brings a slight sense of realism in a since that as powerful as Luke becomes, a blaster shot to the face would have still put him down for the count. So we get a sense of attachment to these characters through their journey and just like IRL a good chunk of our jedi heroes don't get a happy ending.

Even though Disney has a tendancy to color things and keep it PG for the kids XD

Star wars as a whole is pretty grim. Sure the good guys always win but it's fleeting at best, lasting only for like a decade or so... then you have your "hundred year darkness" your "infinate empire", your "Palpatine's empire"," One Sith empire" etc etc. The upper hand for the good guys is fleeting at best. But in a since that's it's charm. Unlike DC and Marvel for example, Most of these characters have a finite lifespan and generally don't get to come back (or stay revived long.) It brings a slight sense of realism in a since that as powerful as Luke becomes, a blaster shot to the face would have still put him down for the count. So we get a sense of attachment to these characters through their journey and just like IRL a good chunk of our jedi heroes don't get a happy ending.

Even though Disney has a tendancy to color things and keep it PG for the kids XD

A little off-topic, but this is what I meant when I said "dark" isn't always good for Star Wars. The original trilogy gives the impression that before the Empire, things were good. And after the Empire is defeated, things will return to good.

The EU somewhat contradicts that. Often the writers follow the story structure from the movies, which require the bad guys to be overwhelmingly powerful. Almost all stories start with the Sith in a superior position and the hero has to save the galaxy from them. I'd like to see more creativity.

There have been centuries of peace in galactic history. Why can't we explore those from time to time?

I honestly hope Rebels isn't too lighthearted either, for the same reason. Its set in the Dark Times, they shouldn't be laughing and joking all the time and having "fun" when the Galactic Empire is bearing down on them.

Lighthearted is probably the wrong word. What I meant was that it could be more optimistic. With the different set of characters, the Ghost's crew could have a more idealistic mindset than the Clone Wars Jedi.

"Yes, these are the Dark Times, but if we work together we can fix the galaxy." Then the Empire's reality punches them in the face, but they don't give up.

Well, that's what I would like for Rebels, your preferences could very well be different.

ah yes.. digression my bad. I guess i was trying to Create a definition for "better" since OP didn't. personally In terms of entertainment.. it's pretty static Imo. If you didn't care for the pilot the rest probably won't do it for you. I for one am completely turned off by Ashoka so i don't really care fore the series. (especially since it's centered around her.) As far as lore goes, it's not the best chapter in star wars history but certainty has it's moments.

For me...it's not that things need to always be dark and gritty...it's just that it's more realistic and there is more emotional impact than pure "good and light and lighthearted".

A good middle ground would be nice...but if the only choice is between "good and light and lighthearted" or "dark and gritty"...than I will take dark and gritty everytime.

Clone Wars would be your middle ground.. until the end when Anakin is slaughtering children and such... *cough*

Edited by jaytdasme

Season 5 and 6 are amazing. I loved watching the Jedi go on trial and claim that all Jedi should be put on trial. I could just imagine how happy Palpatine was hearing it I know he must have done tons celebrating that night

The last episode was my favorite of the whole series I think, though I guess it isn't the last anymore?

On a serious note, once you meet Cad Bane, the show just excels from there. Season 1 is okay, Season 2 is getting there, but by S.3, it gets really good. Season 3 is my personal favorite, but 4 and 5 are very close. 6 isn't anything special, I'm afraid.

Yep, it also gets darker as it draws closer to Episode 3.

Definitely one of those rare shows where it gets better as the seasons go on, compared to the many other shows that have a stellar first season and then start dragging their feet.