Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I'm rather stupidly hoping this can be done "fairly", even though it's pretty clear that isn't an option.

Yeah, I can't see how they can.

I know that some people posting in this thread stated that they held off leveling characters in anticipation of SGRAs, but I'm assuming that a lot of people who would be interested in this content just went ahead and leveled their characters, believing that they'd be able to access the new romance content when added in (it is kind of a silly idea to add in new content that those who've already leveled can't access).

Assuming SGRAs will be with current companions, I just think it best if it would be added on in future companion story content that would be accessible only after completing the current companion storylines. Using Vette as an example, a female SW would then need to complete her existing companion dialog arc before accessing the new content (and the SGRA) though you wouldn't necessarily have to be 50 to do this on a new toon. Sure, it's unfair in the sense that the male SW can start a romance story-line earlier in the relationship but this wouldn't punish people who have leveled and done the companions quests and make the content completely unavailable (unless they re-roll...which not everyone has time to do). This would also make the Vette female romance arc different from the male version, which was a goal of theirs (similar to the Kaidan romance arc for male vs. females in the Mass Effect series).

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I can see how them doing that, if it's not possible to separate the romance conversations from the non-romantic (and having the romance trigger separately from different conversation queues... I could probably explains this better with more caffeine). Of course we won't know for sure until Bioware drops the specific patch on us, which won't be for a (very long) while yet.

I know that some people posting in this thread stated that they held off leveling characters in anticipation of SGRAs, but I'm assuming that a lot of people who would be interested in this content just went ahead and leveled their characters, believing that they'd be able to access the new romance content when added in (it is kind of a silly idea to add in new content that those who've already leveled can't access).

Assuming SGRAs will be with current companions, I just think it best if it would be added on in future companion story content that would be accessible only after completing the current companion storylines. Using Vette as an example, a female SW would then need to complete her existing companion dialog arc before accessing the new content (and the SGRA) though you wouldn't necessarily have to be 50 to do this on a new toon. Sure, it's unfair in the sense that the male SW can start a romance story-line earlier in the relationship but this wouldn't punish people who have leveled and done the companions quests and make the content completely unavailable (unless they re-roll...which not everyone has time to do). This would also make the Vette female romance arc different from the male version, which was a goal of theirs (similar to the Kaidan romance arc for male vs. females in the Mass Effect series).

If they're not working on overhauling old companion content all together, this would be the best solution. Not preferred, I should state, and leveling my Scoundrel to 50 with OGR flirts being thrown at him left and right (he turns them down, mind you...) is a little tedious, but rather than having no romance with existing comps at all, I'd take this. With cream on top. And maybe a cherry. Edited by Lent_San

The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec but for story :)

So they can then play through them again per conversation in their own time, so basically after each convo the companion character then immediately gets the mission/talk icon above their head again after the convo ends

It would be pretty horrible to have to replay the hours of time to spent to play the whole game again when you know all the story already for the spread-out companion conversations, so I think that would be the best way

Edited by SelinaK

The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec but for story

I like that idea. Give everyone enough for each romance option free the first time round, then make them available on the Cartel Market.

3 years? Between this apparently being the big thing they've been working on since before launch, Joveth deciding that clarity questions were off-topic in the Clarification thread, and then the subtle thread name-change to show that's all the answers we're getting... I think you're optimistic.

"(We) do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future." More of the same, or something actually resembling Companion arcs? Wait, stupid question.

... looks like the comments I could make about it have been done already, so I'll just let it go. Old news now, after all.

The best way would just to give every player a token to reset their companion stories if they wish, kind of like a player character respec :)

So they can then play through them again per conversation in their own time, so basically after each convo the companion character then immediately gets the mission/talk icon above their head again after the convo ends

That would actually be quite cool. I'd like to avoid having to level my preferred class again, now new and improved with SGR options (if that ever happens). Then again, having one convo after another would rush a possible romance, if you've reached end of chap 3 already and have the affection maxed out. That one, imo, would need some working on.

I like that idea. Give everyone enough for each romance option free the first time round, then make them available on the Cartel Market.
BTW, didn't they add a Cartel Market suggestion thread? I read something like that. Maybe you should drop it there.

Edit: Whoops, could have edited former post.

Edited by Lent_San

BTW, didn't they add a Cartel Market suggestion thread? I read something like that. Maybe you should drop it there.

It's a forum and, ehhh, anything remotely SGRA in the General Discussion is just a flame magnet. Rather not.

3 years? Between this apparently being the big thing they've been working on since before launch, Joveth deciding that clarity questions were off-topic in the Clarification thread, and then the subtle thread name-change to show that's all the answers we're getting... I think you're optimistic.

"(We) do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future." More of the same, or something actually resembling Companion arcs? Wait, stupid question

They have promised the companion characters' stories would be fully available to LGBT players several times, in 2011:

"Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature." (Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid, 2011-09-13)

and very recently last month after the announcement of Makeb and the disappointment surrounding that:

"I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed" (executive producer Jeff Hickman, 2013-01-02)

Source links on this post: www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5811705#post5811705

Edited by SelinaK

It's a forum and, ehhh, anything remotely SGRA in the General Discussion is just a flame magnet. Rather not.
Wouldn't it be suitable for OGR as well? Like, if someone wanted to reset his/her whatever romance and play it again, end it, or just play a different one? *nudge, nudge*

Wouldn't it be suitable for OGR as well? Like, if someone wanted to reset his/her whatever romance and play it again, end it, or just play a different one? *nudge, nudge*

Just my two cents, but the reset option is the one I see being the most sensible, for leveled toons that would like SGRAs, for people who "messed up" their companion conversations, and for those who would like to replay the conversations for fun. A one-time free reset and then cartel market any subsequent ones.

Edit: I went and added this to the suggestion box. Can't hurt.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Just my two cents, but the reset option is the one I see being the most sensible, for leveled toons that would like SGRAs, for people who "messed up" their companion conversations, and for those who would like to replay the conversations for fun. A one-time free reset and then cartel market any subsequent ones.

Woohoo, couldn't help myself and added a thread to the Cartel Market forum, asking for a Gender Change option.

Gender Change Option

First world problems, I know, but I'd definitely use that option, were it available. Feel free to comment. I expect to get bashed and/or thread disappearing into oblivion, either/or. ;)

The reset suggestion is cool.

I'd even like it to replay companions storylines in general. Sometimes I forget what the companion was talking about in previous covos (b/c I took a break from leveling a class) and doing a quick reset and going through the dialog up until that point would be handy.

Hm, doesn't seem plausible to me. I go with the overall "dang, we should have put it in at launch, what can we do instead that's not too time & and money-consuming" explanation. I do expect more to come though. Flirting is good for starters, but one to three years for romances?..... Naw. Don't wanna wait that long.

There you go again, making up numbers. Opinions are fine and all, but I'd like my numbers factual, and not made up. The rest I could agree with.

Making up numbers? I based it on the percentage of the population that is SGR, and applied it to the games player population. I'm sure there's some plus and minus on both sides after that, sooo I figure it probably breaks back to being pretty even on that.

In the last thread, wasn't this almost universally hated.

Cartel Market SGR was considered bad (pay2gay). Now it's being suggested to make it happen with a few then CM the rest.

Making it so the SGR option is at the end of the companions current storyline is also being talked about, and I know when I suggested it before, it wasn't well recieved.

Are posters just getting tired of waiting for it, so they're willing to change their mind to ideas that were hated before? Don't go changing opinions on it that much. Stick to your guns. The best bet is still vote with your wallet. If everyone who wanted SGR companions as badly as some mentioned they wanted it in this and the other thread, got together and quit, it would show the TOR devs just how much of the community really wanted it put in game. But that would take some combined effort on players parts.

They have promised the companion characters' stories would be fully available to LGBT players several times, in 2011:

"Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature." (Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid, 2011-09-13)

and very recently last month after the announcement of Makeb and the disappointment surrounding that:

"I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed" (executive producer Jeff Hickman, 2013-01-02)

Source links on this post: www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5811705#post5811705

They also gave vague promises about the CE vendor, Grey-side anything, Pazzak, and Oceanic mergers/transfers some time ago - all of which amounted to nothing, with zero follow-up from the CMs.

So yeah, the little arrow in my head pointed at "Cynical" isn't going to drop back to "Skeptical" anytime soon.

They also gave vague promises about the CE vendor, Grey-side anything, Pazzak, and Oceanic mergers/transfers some time ago - all of which amounted to nothing, with zero follow-up from the CMs.

So yeah, the little arrow in my head pointed at "Cynical" isn't going to drop back to "Skeptical" anytime soon.

Hopefully nothing comes of grey side anything. :p The more grey side things we get, the less worthwhile dark and light side become!

Are posters just getting tired of waiting for it, so they're willing to change their mind to ideas that were hated before?

Perhaps. Or there's just people with a vast variety of opinions on the subject.

Personally I'm still saying that SGRAs and OGRAs need to be equal in execution, and likewise I expressed a desire to see the option to reset one's companions' stories in the old thread.

Making up numbers? I based it on the percentage of the population that is SGR, and applied it to the games player population. I'm sure there's some plus and minus on both sides after that, sooo I figure it probably breaks back to being pretty even on that.

Well, surveys have pretty varying results. Anything between 1 and 15% of the population identifies as GLB, depending on where the survey is made.

That also doesn't take other demographics into account for SGR interest, such as the transgender and transsexual.

**hugs to everyone**

Yeah, some posts got deleted which prompted my DA2 comments. For the record, Anders didn't bother me too much and it was very easy to get the friendship back. Without meaning to, my second play through, everyone was my friend. Not kidding; I didn't have a single rival or neutral party member. They all loved me.

I'm still reading and watching. I've noticed some of the long time posters dealing with those trying to debate with numbers.

Ah, the old "Only a tiny minority is LGBTQ and they are the only ones that want this content; why are they wasting time on this," argument. The greatest hits keep coming and for those that have been here throughout last year, you know what I mean.

I really hate it when those that are "concerned" for us throw around the minority argument. Those numbers also doesn't take into account role players that aren't LGBTQ. There are players out there that want this for sheer role playing reasons. So anytime I see someone claim, "Oh, only a small percentage is LGBTQ, so only they want it," I shake my head. I know for certain that there are both male and females that are straight and want to try this out as well.

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right? ;)

Edited by natashina

Perhaps. Or there's just people with a vast variety of opinions on the subject.

Personally I'm still saying that SGRAs and OGRAs need to be equal in execution, and likewise I expressed a desire to see the option to reset one's companions' stories in the old thread.

Well, surveys have pretty varying results. Anything between 1 and 15% of the population identifies as GLB, depending on where the survey is made.

That also doesn't take other demographics into account for SGR interest, such as the transgender and transsexual.

I'm all for equal execution. I think all those in favor of SGR are. I'm of the thought, that if they finally introduce SGR with current companions (I'm not sure they will), that if they do make it possible from the start of a companions storyline instead of after chapter 3 storylines with them, the reset will be part of it.

Still, some of what is being said okay to now, was outright reviled just a bit ago in the other thread. I think if people want more they need to show it and not go "Okay, I'd accept this." it leads the devs to thinking they can do less.

And you're right, surveys can have varing results, and to be fair, 2-5% tends to be what it's thought to be now, 15% not so much except for long ago. But still, I don't just make up a number. :p And admittedly, TOR's playerbase could lean towards one direction or the other.

I'm still of the opinion though, that most players just don't care. I get the feeling that that's how the TOR devs are leaning on it as well. If they thought their audience really wanted it, I think we would have seen it added in much sooner with much better options than just chat flirts. But we haven't seen Makeb yet though, so the storyline could have a full blown romance storyline even if it isn't with a companion (well, full blown romance at the level that we saw in say the SI storyline anyways with the female SI).

**hugs to everyone**

Yeah, some posts got deleted which prompted my DA2 comments. For the record, Anders didn't bother me too much and it was very easy to get the friendship back. Without meaning to, my second play through everyone was my friend. Not kidding; I didn't have a single rival or neutral party member. They all loved me.

I'm still reading and watching. I've noticed some of the long time posters dealing with those trying to debate with numbers.

Ah, the old "Only a tiny minority is LGBTQ and they are the only ones that want this content; why are they wasting time on this," argument. The greatest hits keep coming and for those that have been here throughout last year, you know what I mean.

I really hate it when those that are "concerned" for us throw around the minority argument. Those numbers also doesn't take into account role players that aren't LGBTQ. There are players out there that want this for sheer role playing reasons. So anytime I see someone claim, "Oh, only a small percentage is LGBTQ, so only they want it," I shake my head. I know for certain that there are both male and females that are straight and want to try this out as well.

So, while there is indeed a small amount of the general population that is anything other than straight, that doesn't account for other factors. Like the fact that players sometimes role play in a story based MMO. Weird, right? ;)

Seeing as how you're very likely talking about me, since I used the percentages. It wasn't concern at all. Reread the post. It said a small percentage of players who really care. I took that number, then figured there's likely SGRs who don't care and OGRs who do to make up for it.

You're also assuming people who are SGR in RL care at all if it's implemented in RL.

Basically that wasn't concenr, that was me saying most don't care and most aren't willing to actually give up the game for it, or else they would have done it already. Voting with your money goes farther. If the devs see a large percentage of players leave for losing out on what they want, they'll focus more on it.

Speaking of making up numbers... Where the heck did this "wait 3 years for SGRAs" come from?!

Please, if you're going to accuse another poster of making up numbers, don't make them up yourself.

(If there is an official source with the three years figure, I'll stand corrected, until then I'm just assuming it's Eeore speaking again.)

Speaking of making up numbers... Where the heck did this "wait 3 years for SGRAs" come from?!

Please, if you're going to accuse another poster of making up numbers, don't make them up yourself.

(If there is an official source with the three years figure, I'll stand corrected, until then I'm just assuming it's Eeore speaking again.)

There has been an SGRA thread since two years before launch, if I am not mistaken, and since it is now one year after the launch the sum total would be three years.

A qick internet search proved me wrong. The no gays in starwars incident happened in 2009 and the first thread asking/discussing same gender romantic content started shortly after making it almost four years now.