Why Do I Get So Much Hate For Playing Light-Side Sith?

Berronaxftw

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, play how you want. I started my firt character as a pure light side jedi shadow and couldn't stand the naïveté of accepting all things good. Sometimes characters deserve to have my lightsaber in their stomach. Similarly, I find it immensely interesting to simply answer in context now, regardless of class or alignment. My freshly rolled Jedi Sentinel got the Dark Jedi lightsaber for accepting Bengal morr's offer a d my SW is neutral because it is more interesting to question choices than to just spam one side's answer or the other.

So, it's your money and time, so play how you want!!

My agent on empire side is LS purely because she takes the pragmatic view of not breaking potentially useful tools that she can use in the future.

She will not simply kill a prisoner, but she will make sure that they live so that they can end up serving the empire whether or not they are aware of it in the future.

She is not exactly nice either because even the LS choices on an imperial character tend to have a grimdark end to them so that for instance a prisoner who you spare may well have a full interrogation at the hands of the sith or imperial intelligence in their future with any number of sharp pointy objects being used on them.

In my opinion, play how you want. I started my firt character as a pure light side jedi shadow and couldn't stand the naïveté of accepting all things good. Sometimes characters deserve to have my lightsaber in their stomach. Similarly, I find it immensely interesting to simply answer in context now, regardless of class or alignment. My freshly rolled Jedi Sentinel got the Dark Jedi lightsaber for accepting Bengal morr's offer a d my SW is neutral because it is more interesting to question choices than to just spam one side's answer or the other.

So, it's your money and time, so play how you want!!

This is the crux of the matter - farming points (both LS/DS and companion affection) is BORING. Go with your gut, give conversation responses based on the personality you want your character to have not what will generate the most points.

Oh, who cares? I'm under the impression many of them are very wee children, and ignoring that, only light side Sith get the best moment in the game - when your light side Sith Warrior gets to tell Baras that Jaesa's mum & dad are bound to live in luxury, & he delights in the Comfy Chair solution. That never gets old to me. I wish I could keep a save of it, but sadly, this is an mmo... (and that harkens back to dealing with some brat that cares how another plays the game)

My agent on empire side is LS purely because she takes the pragmatic view of not breaking potentially useful tools that she can use in the future.

She will not simply kill a prisoner, but she will make sure that they live so that they can end up serving the empire whether or not they are aware of it in the future.

She is not exactly nice either because even the LS choices on an imperial character tend to have a grimdark end to them so that for instance a prisoner who you spare may well have a full interrogation at the hands of the sith or imperial intelligence in their future with any number of sharp pointy objects being used on them.

I followed mostly the same idea with my Agent, he won't kill needlessly, but won't bat an eye if people need to die because they're in the way or the mission needs to be protected. This kept him pretty much neutral through most of Chapter 1, but since pretty much the end of Alderaan I've noticed a distinct lack of pragmatic Dark Side options. Now they seem to be mostly 'lolmurder' and 'screw the Empire! what can you do for ME?'.

Which I think is a problem with arguments regarding LS Imperials and DS Pubs, both sides seem to have a peculiar effect where long-term thinking gets you the 'wrong' alignment for your faction.

I've never seen someone complain about this sort of thing. The closest I have come into contact with is really the opposite, players who act like immature jerks to other players, griefing or simply stealing objectives in the name of "roleplaying" an evil character.

I honestly believe that the game is designed for characters not to be purely Light or purely Dark, but (like most people in the real world) some sort of mixture of grey.

The Trooper is supposed to be loyal to the Republic, but on Ord Mantel he is made to make a choice between returning stolen medicine to it's rightful owners, the soldiers who are injured defending the Republic civilians, or giving it back to the thieves who took it to care for civilians. If you are a soldier who believes in loyalty, honesty, or who understands that without soldiers to defend them, even more of the civilians will be hurt and killed by Separatists, you go Dark Side. If you support lying, stealing, neglecting one's duty, and allowing personal emotions to interfere with your ability to make objective decisions, then you get the Light Side points. Even though the Trooper is Republic, any actually decent Trooper is going to have to make a Dark Side decision there.

In contrast, when the Sith Warrior is to pass judgement during his trials, executing the Assassin is deemed the Dark Side decision, but Master Tremel makes it quite clear upon returning that it was a waste of a potentially valuable resource and that any decent Sith would have brought her into the Empire to work for us now (Light Side choice).

Too many people obsess over that White Sun or Red Triangle and don't actually pay attention to what the real decision is. I think you'll find that your Sith Warrior occasionally has to get his hands dirty if he wants to make something of himself, but quite often any forward-thinking, ambitious Sith would go Light Side in order to maintain valuable contacts, make allies, or preserve resources.

I've never gotten grief from that, but I get the most grief picking dark side options when I play republic characters. I have to explain to people I've already played enough light side republic characters. Edited by AelixVII

It's your guy; play it the way you want. Tell the nerd ragers to f off.:D

Unnecessary quote, but I just agree with you. I try to play my main purely darkside, and that's just because it's my character and that's how I want him to be. Play how you want; you're the one paying to play (if you're subscribed :p), and if not then it's still your story! I play my games pretty seriously; I guess some people just take it too far these days, and that's saying a lot coming from this guy. I usually have the chat turned off and rarely ever team up with randoms if I don't have to.

Edited by Inyodo
Minor adjustments

here's the way I look at it, LS and DS in this game are kinda releitive. just because you choose a LS option on a Sith doesn't mean it's nesscarily all sunshine and lollypops. The Sith Empire is, put bluntly, evil. it's a society founded on opression, slavery and all sorts of other icky things.

I've never gotten grief from that, but I get the most grief picking dark side options when I play republic characters. I have to explain to people I've already played enough light side republic characters.

Amen to that. You choose a dark side option when playing republic and its like you kicked the persons dog...the outrage!!

Amen to that. You choose a dark side option when playing republic and its like you kicked the persons dog...the outrage!!

I think you're taking the comments too seriously. In my experience, when a dark side choice wins in a republic FP some players will chat "boo" or ":-(" or "awww." These are meant as friendly jabs not outrage.

Personally I don't understand the purpose of light side Sith... such character would probably commit suicide on Korriban and that'd be end of his/her saga :-)

You obviously failed to read my early post in this thread:

LS/DS are relative. LS is not necessary good and DS is not necessarily evil.

In the case of an imperial - LS tends to be loyal to the empire and takes a long view approach (why kill everyone when they can serve the empire in some fashion). On the other hand, DS tends to be more self-centered and takes a shorter view (this person/these people have pissed me off...they die now).

Both mentalities can be "evil" - those lives you did not extinguish (because you chose the LS option) are now serving the empire as slaves toiling in a toxic swamp.

You obviously failed to read my early post in this thread:

well I was talking about Sith, not Imperial, anyway...

I have lvl 50 agent and I think what u say is not entirely true. I didn't really go for light/dark even though my agent is more or less evil character, I wanted to be reasonable and do what's the best for the Empire all the time + sometimes I showed my kind face too (often had to do something with attractive women involved). Still I have ended up with 2000 light, 8700 dark when I reached lvl 50.

as the title says.. get so much rage and QQ from people when i say i play light side sith saying "the empire is evil and your character should be evil"..

that's BS the empire isn't evil (imo).. i mean sure it has a few bad eggs, but the republic aint no good guy club either..

It's not you....it's the Luke Skywalker underroos you wear.

The only thing I would say is wrong with it is if you are doing group quests and don't tell people you are a light side sith. that's kind of messed up.

Ehm, why? It's not like other people get light side points if you win, they changed that ages ago. I don't see why you should let people know in advance what's your affinity. Diversity is fun.

Edited by Bastila-chan

as the title says.. get so much rage and QQ from people when i say i play light side sith saying "the empire is evil and your character should be evil"..

that's BS the empire isn't evil (imo).. i mean sure it has a few bad eggs, but the republic aint no good guy club either..

After spending some time near the cantina on the Imperial Fleet today, I should actually ask for clarification.

When you say 'Light Side Sith' do you mean as in the mechanical point system, or do you mean in the "Oh, I'm the nicest bubbliest person you'll ever meet, I just accidentally wandered into the Sith Academy one day and somebody handed me a diploma." sense? :p

Because for the reasons all ready discussed getting hepped up about hte points is a bit silly, as you can rack up LS points while still helping the Empire further it's racist, oppressive goals .

If it's the latter..well..yeah.

Edited by jovianus