language issues on forums

Cmdluke

• Dev Post
Hello there folks. We are currently looking into this and would appreciate your assistance. If you have more details about when or how this happens and/or screenshots of the issue, please post an update in this thread. Thanks for your reports and help while we investigate!

This always seems to happen to me when I click on a link from Google that is directed at the SWTOR forums.

That would make sense. The links probably have the language in the url. If you click the FR or DE buttons at the top of the page, you can see the url adds /fr or /de after the swtor.com. This sets the language for the page layout. As mentioned, clicking the EN link will set it back to English.

Hello there folks. We are currently looking into this and would appreciate your assistance. If you have more details about when or how this happens and/or screenshots of the issue, please post an update in this thread. Thanks for your reports and help while we investigate!

Here's one example:

1. Google "swtor lightside appearance"

2. Click on the thread "Any plans for light side appearance changes?"

3. Your page is now in German.

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

Here's one example:

1. Google "swtor lightside appearance"

2. Click on the thread "Any plans for light side appearance changes?"

3. Your page is now in German.

Hmm.. came up english for me...

However, I have also experienced the forums trying to insist I speak (or read) a different language.

It's happened infrequently, for a long time.. maybe as long as I've been playing (April?), but it seems to happen mostly after I've attempted to visit the forums downtime (patch day).

It has happened more frequently, and more randomly recently, and not always when clicking in from Google. I have a bunch of bookmarks to forum posts here, and I've had those come up with German as well.

Sometimes clicking the "EN" button works.. but it usually takes several tries before it 'sticks'.

Most of this is just circumstantial hindsight observation. If it happens again, I'll pay more attention to specifics and come back here and post...

yeah I can see this being a dozen different things as to why it happens. Google is one complex beast. Could be something to do with their redirect system. In fact I'd more than bet on it. Don't think this is a problem with the forum itself. Sometimes google's redirects go kind of funky and I've seen that happen with non-swtor sites as well, albeit really rare to see it, at least for me, but I have had it happen a couple times coming in from google as well.

I've found it to be a browser issue (it usually happens to me when clicking an external link via search that contains '/fr' or '/de' in the link). Simply clear your cache, history, cookies, etc. and reload the EN page.

On a side note: A solution to this for those signed into their account would be to tie it into one's account preferences.

It's completely random. Just every once in awhile I come to the site and it will switch to French for me for some odd reason.

It's completely random. Just every once in awhile I come to the site and it will switch to French for me for some odd reason.

I'm not sure if it's all random or not...I've never done a Google search and I've had this issue- it's always originated from within this site itself.

Last week it happened, but I chalked it up to a very busy forum day. It almost seemed like after so many EN people are online, it switches us to a new FR or DE instance. I believe it has something to do with links (from this site to this site), as that seems to be when I encounter it the most.

• Dev Post
Thank you for your reports! We’ve investigated this issue, and it appears to be a rare problem with the way some search engines index our website and forums. If you experience this issue, there are two easy workarounds. As others have stated in the thread, you can use the language toggle buttons at the top of the page, or you can manually edit the URL in your browser to take out the unintended language that’s being displayed (/fr/ or /de/).