Are the Republic/LS sidequests more fun?

commander_s

Alright, so I've just recently hit level 50 with my Sorcerer (my first char) and once I finish my class story, I'm going to roll out another character.

I liked the Inquisitor storyline, some of the planetary quest chains were also engaging (I liked Tatooine and Nar Shadaa the most, I think), but let's face it: most of the sidequests (I mean both the "planetary" chains and sidequests from NPCs scattered around the planet) were irritatingly repetitive and came down to: 1) going to the Imperial outpost on the planet because Moff X needs your help with rebels, 2) crushing the rebels in the current area, 3) proceeding to the next area, because now Darth Y has trouble with gangs/Repubs/Wookies and needs our help, 4) etc.

Another problem was that the first chapter was a tad too boring, because, from the beginning, you knew you had to visit 4 planets to gather some stuff and it just turned out to be a little bit of a grind.

I know, both problems are typical for most MMO's or most BioWare games, but still, here's my question: are the Republic/LS planetary quests more diverse in the sense that it's not just about going from outpost to outpost, killing 500 mobs per area to advance to the next one and to the same (I guess they should, since the Jedi/Republic forces in general are more diplomatic and are more about peace-keeping than just destroying the enemies) and are there more story-driven sidequests that have a more RPG-flavour (I mean, talkling to different NCPs, negotiating, etc. and not just killing 15 mobs for them)?

Also, which class story is the least schematic? I mean, I want to avoid the whole "travel to the next four planets to gather artifacts, then we'll talk again" thing. Right now I'm swaying toward rolling a Jedi Knight, since I'm hoping for some KotOR-like feel to the game and maybe a little different kind of gameplay.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Edited by commander_s

Fun is a subjective thing obviously.

I liked most of the various missions the first time I played through them on both factions, and I can't really give specifics since I haven't actually played through the Republic stuff in months now.

However, I can tell you that playing the Jedi Knight class story will feel the most like KOTOR 3 out of all of the classes on that faction.

Fun is a subjective thing obviously.

Sure. But are the Republic sidequests more varied than the Empire ones?

However, I can tell you that playing the Jedi Knight class story will feel the most like KOTOR 3 out of all of the classes on that faction.

That's good to hear. Sound like I know who I'm playing next.

It's a fact that Knight story IS this game's Main Story. Just look who is the final boss.....MY GOSH!

The mechanics itself are pretty similar. There is slightly more variety and a decently coherent storyline in some planets but the differences are not that big, you still jump around outposts doing quests for whatever General/Ambassador you stumble upon

The whole story/diplomatic quests are located mostly on Coruscant and some on Tython, by the way. Don't bother looking for them in other republic planets, save for some exceptions (I'm thinking Voss, maybe?)

Edited by Morlaak

Not really. They're pretty much the in the same vein. Lots of quests that boil down to "go here and kill X whatevers" or "click on Y whatsits and return". When it comes to sidequests, Empire and Republic are pretty much equally boring. This is especially true of Bonus Series quests.

When it comes to planetary questlines, they are again very similar. The quests move you from quest hub to quest hub in a sequence. No real difference on the Republic side. The order of the planets is slightly different - Taris before Balmorra - but nothing major changes.

Going to the other side does at least provide a little variety in the cut scenes and conversations, however. While the quests themselves are similar, at least you get to partake in new conversations and see new characters.

Edited by SleepyKing