So when we get to kill Satele Shan?

Lxkane

So, the general opinion of Satele stopping a lightsaber with her hand makes her a Mary Sue? I guess that means that the Jedi that can sense a being's true nature in the Sith storyline is Mary Sue too, huh?

To date, I've never seen anyone stop a lightsaber with their hand except Satele. And as long as it's a very rare feat, I'm ok with that. Did it make me think it was wrong when I first saw it? Yes. But Satele is a Jedi Master. Yoda could absorb Force Lightning with his hands and even shoot it back. Yoda also did this against Palpatine. But Yoda was also a Jedi Master. And a powerful one at that. I doubt many other Jedi could absorb Force lightning (even Dooku could only reflect it.) And I doubt many other Jedi could stop a lightsaber with the Force through their hand.

Having a unique or rare ability does not make you a Mary Sue.

A few things;

1. Satele is not the first jedi to do that, there are at least two others that I know of, one is Corran Horn and the other os Jacen Solo, Wookiepedia them if you want to know more.

2. Sateel was still a Padawan/knight until the end of the War, the First web comic Threat of Peace was about her and her Master, she does not become a master until after that fight.

3. Have rare and unique abilities and generally being very special and loved by every one is the very deffiniton of a Mary Sue, Sateel has a lot of Sue traits, so people are not entirely wrong to call her a sue.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things;

1. Satele is not the first jedi to do that, there are at least two others that I know of, one is Corran Horn and the other os Jacen Solo, Wookiepedia them if you want to know more.

Two. So, that's a total of three Jedi who have stopped a lightsaber with their hands by using the Force. Assuming Satele didn't have some kind of kind of armor plating that deflects lightsaber energy in her gauntlet. I know such materials exists.

I haven't read the stories with Corran Horn and I'm only familiar with the basics surrounding Jacen Solo. Still, I think my original point stands. An individual with the ability to deflect a lightsaber with their hand is a rare feat amongst Force users. Having a unique or rare ability does not make you a Mary Sue. Now, if Satele used this ability in every lightsaber fight she is in from now on, I can see a problem.

2. Sateel was still a Padawan/knight until the end of the War, the First web comic Threat of Peace was about her and her Master, she does not become a master until after that fight.

I'm not going to debate this one. Frankly, it does not matter to me whether the title of "Jedi Master" was bestowed upon Satele before the comic or after the comic. If you want to nitpick, then sure, it would make a difference from a technical stand point. And I'm a member of Phil Farrand's ST:TNG Nitpicker's Guild so I know nitpicking. But it just is not relevant here. Her title has nothing to do with her ability to use the Force.

3. Have rare and unique abilities and generally being very special and loved by every one is the very deffiniton of a Mary Sue, Sateel has a lot of Sue traits, so people are not entirely wrong to call her a sue.
I don't think Satele is worthy of the title. She has a very rare Force power. She is a well respected Jedi and a member of the Jedi Council. Nothing about about that says "Mary Sue" to me. Again, Yoda was very special and loved by everyone. Yoda is not a Mary Sue. I think people are too quick to drop the "Mary Sue' label on characters.

Satele does not qualify for this label. Not yet.

I have little interest to Jedi characters, but I have to say Satele Shan is a very cool character and she is quite different than those stubborn female Jedi if you play Imperial(mostly Bounty Hunter) story and think about it. There are a lot of space to develop. Edited by Slowpokeking

A few problems about her

1. Her romance stories were not very well written.

2. It's better to show her as a master in the time of ToC rather than still a knight/padawan.

3. Compare to Malgus her character development is...at least not easy to see, so that's why people call her a Sue, but there are a lot of potential to further develop her character.

4. Can't she use a Force Mask to let us see a younger and pretty face?:rolleyes:

Edited by Slowpokeking

Isn't Satele at time of TOR pretty old? She looks like in her 50s on the Black Talon hologram. Romancing her would be a little... strange. But whatever you like.

And yeah, even if not killing her then at least kicking her old arse and forcing her to "run, little Jedi, run" would be fun and good revenge after Talon.

Oh, and unless there was something else, then Corran has not absorbed the lightsaber when he was trying to free that guy from Vong pain holder. He just absorbed a tiny, tiny part of it's energy by holding the arm close to it. And he got third degree burns. Plus he stated that he would loose his arm if he moved his hand (or Kyp moved the blade). So it was nothing like Satele blade stopping, cooling down the plasma in the middle and cracking it feat.

Anywway - Malagus is far more Mary Sueish in the "Hope" then Satele. She is just human version of Ashoka - lucky, relative pretty Jedi beating the evil Sith because she had to win (being light and so). Malagus - man, he is like Epic Paladin (Black Knight), lvl 20+ from first edition of DnD.

Isn't Satele at time of TOR pretty old? She looks like in her 50s on the Black Talon hologram. Romancing her would be a little... strange. But whatever you like.

And yeah, even if not killing her then at least kicking her old arse and forcing her to "run, little Jedi, run" would be fun and good revenge after Talon.

I'm talking about her romance in the comic.

I fully agree that the empire needs to kill Satele Shan.

For a start as an Imperial player I manage to wipe out so many of my own people including

Malgus, the Sith Voss Ambasador, at least 4 member of the dark coucil (Warrior, Inquisitor and agent stories), the emporers true voice, disband Imperial Intelligence, hundreds of lords and the like.

Yet when it comes to fighting the republic its no named Jedi or republic people that I've never heard of. Even when they are ment to be amazing teachers or whatever. The point stands that keeping the balance means Satele Shan has to die. But more than this, as it stands the current generation of Sith are patheitc (because the story made them that way) competed to the old generation. Where as Malgus and Baras and the like sacked the republic the current generation seem to be able to lose Balmora and Corellia, realse people that are traitors to the Empire and kill most of their own dark council.

It gets boring having to play through story lines like that all the time.

I fully agree that the empire needs to kill Satele Shan.

For a start as an Imperial player I manage to wipe out so many of my own people including

Malgus, the Sith Voss Ambasador, at least 4 member of the dark coucil (Warrior, Inquisitor and agent stories), the emporers true voice, disband Imperial Intelligence, hundreds of lords and the like.

Yet when it comes to fighting the republic its no named Jedi or republic people that I've never heard of. Even when they are ment to be amazing teachers or whatever. The point stands that keeping the balance means Satele Shan has to die. But more than this, as it stands the current generation of Sith are patheitc (because the story made them that way) competed to the old generation. Where as Malgus and Baras and the like sacked the republic the current generation seem to be able to lose Balmora and Corellia, realse people that are traitors to the Empire and kill most of their own dark council.

It gets boring having to play through story lines like that all the time.

The Empire also lost 3 council members on Corellia and 1 on Ilum.

I think it's better to turn her to the Dark Side, that's gonna strike the republic more than just kill her.

• 7 months later...

Maybe next you'll ask "When do we get to kill Skywalker?" :rak_01:

If you want it so bad, go play SWKTOR and in the last episode kill Bastila ^_^. *Chi-ching* and no Satele Shan anymore )

Edited by Ravenpsix
Changed my mind

Just because she is powerfull or that she can hold her own against Darth Malgus doesn't make her a mary sue. Does she have to be kidnapped and need to be rescued every darn 5 minutes for her not to be considered a mary sue?

these days people threw words around like mary sue/gary stu around without even knowing their proper definitions.

hold her own against malgus... did you even watch the 3 cinematics? if not for her master or that trooper she dies. malgus CLEARLY outclassed her. the only reason satele survives is that she has friends around. in a straight up duel she gets destroyed

It can come clear to me the next chapters for the imps stories are going need to have Republic targets, and at some point an operation that takes place at the jedi's current home base and at the end we either directly kill or indirectly kill her like a lightside/darkside chose we get every now and then, only this choice gives a lot of points due to her being the pub icon

I look for to the bounty week

:wea_07:May the hunt Continue!!!

Clearly it is known the fate of the Empire, as well as the Sith order, so why would you be able to have a direct confrontation with her? Doesn't make any sense to be able to defeat both section heads. There has to be a victor in this story. :o

Clearly it is known the fate of the Empire, as well as the Sith order, so why would you be able to have a direct confrontation with her? Doesn't make any sense to be able to defeat both section heads. There has to be a victor in this story. :o

Yes, but the diehard Sith Empire fangirls have convinced themselves that their favored tinpot dictatorship's ultimate victory is not only theoretically possible, it is likely.

Meh, even if we had flashpoint to confont Satele, it would end up with a trooper with a grenade charging our face so she can run like a little girl she is... then we would get a loot from the trooper (nothing like a trooper giving away lightsaber token) and a short congrats holo from Darth Marr.

I am sure if this game lasts a few expansions they might make Satele Shan killable but then perhaps let either the JC or JK character ascend the council. Maybe in later xpacs they could let memebrs of the Jedi or Dark Council become companions to the appropriate characters too.

You don't understand the theme of balance in Star Wars. The Light Side of the Force is balance. The Dark Side is a parasitic imbalance, a cancer. I'm not making that up. That's Lucas. As for the outcome of the game, well, not to spoil the movies for you, but

the Sith lose.

No it's the balance between the light and dark side that's the point, when one over reaches there is a backlash E.G episodes 1-3 the Jedi engineer their own destruction when they train anakin, or vice versa with Luke, the whole point is every action has an opposite and equal reaction, whether it be in 30 years or 3000.

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil."

-George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

also you're a moron for not picking up on this when you were 6 watching a new hope for the first time, learn to comprehension.

quite the oppsoite, it would be all but impossible for this story to have a victor because it would mark the end of a game, why would they decide to settle the drama and give up on all future subscription fees and cancel the rest of the game?

and furthermore to everyone quoting the movie's as proof, how have you not picked up on the fact that this is not related to the movies? this is 3,000 years before the movies, in what is basically the Dark ages of the galaxy, very little is known by contemporary (fictional) historians about what happened, and a winner/loser has not been pointed out in any medium whatsoever...

The term 'Mary Sue' has changed over the years. Originally it was meant to portray a female character who was good at everything, ingratiated herself into the story line, and interacted with iconic characters. Think Wesley Crusher in ST:TNG.

However, with the onslaught of that Twilight drek, currently a 'Mary Sue' is a female character in which the author self-imposes herself into the story. To wit: Stephanie Meyer is herself a nondescript looking woman clearly non-athletic, (who if not for Twilight would be washing dishes at Olive Garden), as is Bella.

The latter is (I have been told) a very plain (at best) looking girl,similarly non-athletic with little to no personality. Yet on her first day in High School she is asked out no less than two times and literally has guys fighting over her. (Because that happens all the time in SM world)

Insofar as SW:TOR, it is not implausible for Shatele to become a target: The Great Hunt, Imperial Intelligence makes the decision to weaken the Jedi thus weakening the Republic, various Sith or Sith Lords want to make their mark, the list goes on and on.

Does she have significant force-powers? No doubt. Is she a match for Malgus? Not even. If he can be defeated then by law of transposition (?) so should she. I just don't see EA letting it happen.

I've wanted to kill her since Black Talon, that self righteous arrogant *****.

I've always viewed her as more of a diplomat (and damned near pacifistic) than warrior.

Spot-on.