I've been thinking, what about a GSF server?

Devrius

We have PvP servers, we have RP servers and PvE servers, why not a dedicated GSF server?

I'm not talking to ask the devs to make a GSF server, I'm talking about an "unofficial" GSF server.

We have many pilots a cross many servers, everyone can agree queues could be quicker and pooling the pilots from the many servers into a single one would help a lot.

We could make dedicated pilots there, their names call signs (which I really wish we could make right now by the way) and the guilds squads.

I know it would suck to have to refurnish our hangars, but it would be nice to know you can queue any time and and have a relatively balanced balance match pop-up.

Anyway, just something I has been thinking about.

For the same reason that all server segregation sucks: too many of us have previously established ties to the communities we're a part of.

Hum, true both my pilots right now are actually my healers, Hell I'm one of two dedicated healers of my guild.

I just meant this this way: when you feel like playing GSF, you don't log into your main server but you go to the GSF one.

If my guild members need me for an OPs or to power level a new character they can reach me by my Steam account.

It is just a notion, I doubt it would work but it would be nice.

I just really dislike the idea of having to log into a specific server if I want to play a specific aspect of the game. Why can't we go back to the days where you could participate in any activity with any community without losing contact with your friends? None of my GSF pals know how to contact me outside of the game and the forums, and that's far more limiting than it should be.

It's really not, though. Guild Wars segregated players by area in the game; everyone in a particular outpost was in the same "server", and changing "servers" was as simple as moving to a different city or mission (or using a dropdown box to switch regions and overflow districts, similar to fleet instances). Runescape offered over a hundred servers with mini-communities and specializations, but had no barriers preventing you from loading your character on any server or communicating with any friend anywhere. Diablo 3 made instances for every player or group of players, and again had zero communication barriers anywhere.

It's just unfortunate that so many modern games are following the model WoW used and segregating players so thoroughly. The advantage is that you can load several dozen players into one "wilderness area"... but nowadays, with SSDs as cheap and common as they are, putting in loading screens between these "wilderness areas" wouldn't be such a big deal.

I could easily support that. As long as BIoware was willing to provide transfers to the server, otherwise I would feel i was being nickle and dimed. (If they wanted to have a minimum standard or requirement for emigrating that would be fine as well) Edited by General_Brass

For the same reason that all server segregation sucks: too many of us have previously established ties to the communities we're a part of.

Honestly...this game totally sucks outside of GSF. End game content such as raid/ground-pvp is just superior in other games in every way. The only fun thing for a lot of people is leveling alts...and why not level alts on one server while playing GSF with lots more people?

The idea of an 'unofficial' GSF server will never work. But - if the devs made an official GSF server, I would only ever play there.

Ideally we would just have one huge *** server, with different channels for different play styles but sadly that seems impossible.

I'd quit immediately. Neverwinter has a one-server setup (well, technically, two - there's one solely for the Russians and one for International; never understood that but it's probably a money thing) and the community is ATROCIOUS.

So bad, in fact, that I gave up an extremely playable F2P Neverwinter experience to PAY to come back here.

It's just not a good idea. -bp

I'd quit immediately. Neverwinter has a one-server setup (well, technically, two - there's one solely for the Russians and one for International; never understood that but it's probably a money thing) and the community is ATROCIOUS.

So bad, in fact, that I gave up an extremely playable F2P Neverwinter experience to PAY to come back here.

It's just not a good idea. -bp

Neverwinter, was a mass of problems from launch, mostly due to perfect worlds attitude towards their customers. If you want to see a counterexample TSW has a very good community (with a few exceptions) and has a single server structure.

The idea of an 'unofficial' GSF server will never work. But - if the devs made an official GSF server, I would only ever play there.

Unfortunately for you, the devs have a lot of other people to cater to as well -- and the majority of those people are pretty happy with things as they are.

Once your ship is geared, it's definitely a blast no matter what server you're on, but the more que pops you have, the more potential fun you'll have

That's why I think it's best people just group on the most populous server. There should be a poll for where people play GSF and everybody (who wants to) migrate to the other with the highest pop.

That's why I think it's best people just group on the most populous server. There should be a poll for where people play GSF and everybody (who wants to) migrate to the other with the highest pop.

That already happened once with ranked.

Back when server transfers dropped there was a push amoung the ranked teams to all congregate on one server. And they did, because of that they killed the ranked communities on almost all the other servers and interestingly enough a few months later that server's community collapsed aswell and many of the teams returned to their origin server or quit the game.

Please don't do this again, it never works.