Guardian of the Fortress - Affliction?

Oh let me add that there may be a HM strat I don't know about. I thought this gripe was over the SM version. Dulfy has the HM details.
Oh I wasn't griping, I loved every min of it, well except for the purge me yells over mumble, but as far as damage and challenge, it was great. ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not mass affliction and it's not the poison tech debuff then I don't know. We wiped multiple times on our 16man SM because we were learning the fights but aside from those 2 major debuffs, I never saw anything else.

Maybe it's an 8man thing.

In that case suck it up Francis and heal through it.

Duh, what do you think people are doing currently? But the dot ticks for 6k, goes out to at least 2 people, and in fact one person can get both DoTs. That's at least 12k per tick. That is not a healable amount of damage in 8-man over any significant period of time, especially considering at the same time the tanks are being beat on by the guardians and the boss.

We cleared it twice yesterday, and both times the adds killed us after we killed the boss.

Our sage has been cleansing it fine. o-o

You are confused as to which debuff we are talking about. It's not able to be cleansed. There ARE dots during that fight that can be cleansed, but those aren't the ones we are referring to.

Duh, what do you think people are doing currently? But the dot ticks for 6k, goes out to at least 2 people, and in fact one person can get both DoTs. That's at least 12k per tick. That is not a healable amount of damage in 8-man over any significant period of time, especially considering at the same time the tanks are being beat on by the guardians and the boss.

We cleared it twice yesterday, and both times the adds killed us after we killed the boss.

Please accept my apology Mr. NoFishing.

Edited by CommunityDroidEN

Ran into it tonight. Affliction, it ticks 7 times, and Resilience (force/tech) doesn't cleanse it but it will resist two ticks (as DPS) if you're lucky, and one tick if you aren't. Nasty little thing that hit me for 5690 on all ticks but the first.

I had a lot of fun with the fight, but I also think it felt closer to HM than SM.

After doing this in HM tonight, I'm going to go and say that I certainly think this is a bug. We still got the Affliction from the guardians, but it only was ticking for about 3k instead of 6k like it did on SM.

We found the fight to be easier on HM than we did on SM.

Okay, here are all the dots in the fight.

Mass Affliction (mental) - cleansable, goes out to everyone at the same time if you fail to interrupt a corruptor. This is survivable on some waves (Wave 8 for example), though still inadvisable.

Corrosive Grenade - AOE thrown out by Draxus on waves he's around. Basically makes sorcs useless, since their puddle makes people vulnerable to his AOEs, and not cleansable by sorcs/sages.

Guardian dot (didn't catch the name) - looks like Affliction, but not cleansable by anyone.

Okay, here are all the dots in the fight.

Mass Affliction (mental) - cleansable, goes out to everyone at the same time if you fail to interrupt a corruptor. This is survivable on some waves (Wave 8 for example), though still inadvisable.

Corrosive Grenade - AOE thrown out by Draxus on waves he's around. Basically makes sorcs useless, since their puddle makes people vulnerable to his AOEs, and not cleansable by sorcs/sages.

Guardian dot (didn't catch the name) - looks like Affliction, but not cleansable by anyone.

The Guardian dot is called Affliction.

Wow, so not only does the fight completely hamper the most common healer because of a dot type, but they can't even use two different dot names. For such a detailed fight, they spent no time thinking about the details.

The dot Draxus casts does hardly any damage. Most time, I don't even bother to cleanse it.

We were running this on SM on a pick-up run with guildies last night, and one thing we did that SEEMED to alleviate the casting of the guardians affliction was to not interrupt any of their abilities. I would ike to spend more time looking at more parses to see for sure if this is "interupt" related, but until then it would be worth a try I think to see if it makes life any easier to just not use interrupts on any of the guardians casts

You might be on to something. We ran another SM tonight (3rd for me this week!). We did not interrupt slams like we had been trying previously, only interrupted a few ravages. The frequency of the DoT going out /seemed/ much lower, and corresponded closely to my tank leaping at the guardian during a ravage (causing an interrupt).

Next week I will suggest we make an attempt where we are careful to not interrupt anything from the guardians, and we'll see if the DoT still happens, and whether the ravage or the DoT is worse.

Our sage has been cleansing it fine. o-o

My Sorc does to but i was also healing with another sorc ,who was complaining , he could not cure it. so i went looking and sure enough i found this post ... and not sure why my sorc could but he couldn't . but did noticed once i did it was right back on the player i cured it from . which was really strange but i was able to cure it with my sorc , but it came right back within sec after i cured it .

My guild encountered the same problem on our run. The affliction dot was ticking 6k a second and we couldn't cleanse it. Most of us were in 72+ gear so it wasn't a gear issue or a healer issue. The dot is just too much for a SM especially given the HM seems to only tick 3k a second.

There is currently a bug with the Guardians. Their Affliction ticks for...

3,536 in 16M Story

3,598 in 8m Hard

6,413 in 8m Story

So for everyone running 16SM & 8HM that's condescending toward people running 8SM, kindly pull your heads out of your butts.

Edited by elidion

One shotted 16 man story tonight, and no one mentioned the DoT. On the other hand, it seems we're newbs and didn't realize you could interrupt Slam from the guardians. We've just been getting out of the cone, so maybe letting it get off keeps Affliction from going out?

One shotted 16 man story tonight, and no one mentioned the DoT. On the other hand, it seems we're newbs and didn't realize you could interrupt Slam from the guardians. We've just been getting out of the cone, so maybe letting it get off keeps Affliction from going out?

No Slam has nothing to do with the DoT, the dot is affliction and it's an instant cast ability they have. in 16M Story mode it isn't a big deal, the bug is with 8M Storymode that does nearly twice as much damage as 8HM and 16SM, it ticks every 2 seconds for a total of 7 ticks, so 45k damage going out to 2 random Ops members every 15 seconds, while you have the guardians themselves dishing out big damage to the tanks, while there is 2 Dispatchers randomly damaging ops members, and the boss himself beating on whoever he is on...it is a ridiculously insane amount of damage to heal through for people wearing 168 gear...let alone the 156 rating that it is supposed to be required for the storymode ops.

Everything is fine up until that point, we hit the guardians and people just start dropping like flies. Also another complaint is the enrage timer is a bit tight at 8 minutes. With 9 waves, 4 of which the boss joins with, you have to average 53 seconds per wave. When he enrages he goes immune...so even if he enrages at 1% you can't just pop cooldowns and burn/finish him off...you are screwed and might as well /stuck

There is currently a bug with the Guardians. Their Affliction ticks for...

3,536 in 16M Story

3,598 in 8m Hard

6,413 in 8m Story

Thanks for compiling that list. Looks like Bioware got the 16m and 8m damage numbers backwards, again. See also Dread Palace healer challenge.

After doing this in HM tonight, I'm going to go and say that I certainly think this is a bug. We still got the Affliction from the guardians, but it only was ticking for about 3k instead of 6k like it did on SM.

We found the fight to be easier on HM than we did on SM.

Yep, found this out tonight ourselves.

More like they got HM and SM backwards?

Maybe, but that amount of damage would seem very tight for 8m HM as well, given that it is the second boss of the op so should be tuned for healers wearing a majority of 72 gear. I haven't personally done this in HM yet, but I'd expect the real challenge to be on the DPS to deal with the adds quickly and get as much time on the boss as possible.

Either way, it is totally inappropriate for a SM that should be beatable by facerollers wearing 66s.

So our guild was running a through Dread Fortress this evening and ran into a weird situation with Gate Commander Draxus.

Basically we were getting to the 7th and 9th waves and suddenly encountering seemingly random spikes of damage from an unknown Damage-over-time ability. This was not [Mass affliction] from the Dread Guard Corrupters as there are none in the 7th wave, only one in the 9th, and we were spot-on about interrupting them. Basically an icon appeared as a debuff(looked like a little green skull screaming) that ticked us for 5.5k-6k per second. It affected random raid members and we couldn't spot any ability that was being cast by either Draxus or the Guardians that would have this effect.

After reviewing our combat logs, we found that the Guardian of the Fortress was hitting us with [Afflicition]. This, again, ticked for ~6k per second which wiped up the group pretty fast as it was not only hitting random members, but was also unable to be cleansed. We can't find any info on Dulfy, the forums, or even in-depth google searches for anything to do with the abilities used by a Guardian of the Fortress.

We're wondering if any other group has run into this situation or noticed anything strange going on?

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but draxus targets people randomly, it's a tek debuff, so mercs can cure it. Single target tho, so as long as healers aren't oof, they'll be fine to heal it.

I haven't read the rest of the posts, but draxus targets people randomly, it's a tek debuff, so mercs can cure it. Single target tho, so as long as healers aren't oof, they'll be fine to heal it.

You really should have read a few of the replies first. You would have discovered the poison tech DoT from Draxus is NOT the topic of this thread.