Producer's Road Map 2014

CourtneyWoods

Doesn't seem to be much for pvp'ers. Too bad. I've been playing since the game launched, but from what I'm seeing of the new Elder Scrolls Online..... don't think I'll be playing this game once ESO is released. This road map, unfortunately, has not succeeded for me. It's like they don't really care about pvp, which is the main reason I play the *********** game. SWTOR is gonna have to step up their game immensely if they want to compete with Elder Scrolls Online.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong with the content that's been added so far. Starfighter was a great addition, Oricon was a lot of fun, but I'm getting really tired of doing the same things over and over with virtually no difference between characters and no meaningful interaction with my companions. If they're going to continue to abandon the class stories that were what made me love this game, they need to find a design compromise that makes the shared content more replayable--ie, more and different input from companions, different dialogue options, *something* that makes going through the stories more than once per faction more fulfilling. When you have a whole bunch of 55s, this approach is less than fun. I'm here for the characters/stories. Please throw me a freaking bone.

Also, crafting desperately needs an overhaul. The cartel market, while important to the game, has destroyed the viability of much of the crafting and really sucked the fun out of it.

Edited by errant_knight

I think you need to hold off on the "No New Op" just because they didn't mention it. Remember they put the summer of swtor in May and may no mention of DF/DP until August (2 months before the release). They didn't even mention treek until 2.4: Titans of the Industry went live. They like to keep some things under wraps.

There is pretty much zero chance that a new operation can be released at the same time as NiM of a previous operation that is also having its own tier of gearing. The new operation would need to drop gear that is either equivalent to the current DF/DP HM, equivalent to DF/DP NiM, or better than DF/DP NiM. None of those are good choices, and we can assume Bioware isn't silly enough to make that mistake.

Most likely we won't see brand new operations until the actual expansion after 2.8, probably in October.

Edited by NoFishing

Just speaking for myself, I hope SC is the amazing game that you want it to be, if only to clear a few loud and angry voices out of these forums for good.

I doubt that's the case, but I can hope.

Not into people blindly praising TOR?

I really want TOR to be better than what it is currently, but the way EA/Bioware has ran it, it is doubtful. I bought a CE because I had faith in TOR, then the game went south almost instantly. A good amount of the "loud and angry" voices a you put it simply want the TOR that was promised.

If that bothers you, then idk man.

My personal opinion is that BW should be focusing more on developing a stable build of the game instead of focusing on releasing 1 Operation every 2 month.

Not even close to a pace of a new operation every 2 months. New operations have been coming every 6 to 8 months since launch.

Doesn't seem to be much for pvp'ers. Too bad. I've been playing since the game launched, but from what I'm seeing of the new Elder Scrolls Online..... don't think I'll be playing this game once ESO is released. This road map, unfortunately, has not succeeded for me. It's like they don't really care about pvp, which is the main reason I play the *********** game. SWTOR is gonna have to step up their game immensely if they want to compete with Elder Scrolls Online.

Stop kidding yourself, you are not going to leave SWTOR for Elder Scrolls anymore than people left for Guild Wars 2.

Lets face it, the force with all its jedi and sith will suck you right back here because its the only game where you can be a sith lord. :cool:

My only question would be "Why yet another tier of gear?" Really? Do we need one? Most people don't have want's out there now and we're going to have to just start grinding dailies to upgrade again? That, for me, is the absolutely most frustrating part of this game, period. IT's worse than poorly designed additions to GSF, it's worse than Arenea in PVP (and they are REALLY bad), it's worse than feeling like feedback from testing gets totally ignored.

First, thanks for the info. Good to know what to look forward to.

Next, question for Bruce:

In the roadmap, you state wanting to extent time between updates/patches to help cut down on the bugs and other issues that naturally arise from them. I have no problem with the increase in time, but I would ask if part of this plan includes making better use of the PTS to help test these patches and get things fixed? Players have pretty much abandoned the PTS because it seems that even stuff we report doesn't seem to get fixed prior to going to launch, and the fact that the PTS is shut down between the major patches.

Personally speaking, adding a few incentives back (like the PTS titles) would help get more people testing, but more than that, using the PTS as an actual test center would prove even more beneficial. This doesn't just mean testing a specific piece of new content (like an Op or FP), but testing the game as a whole, especially in terms of class balance changes. When you change things in a class, it is equally important to see how those changes not only affect the class in end game, but leveling as well. The PTS can be a boon to helping SWTOR get better, but it needs to be put to good use, and part of that use is ensuring it is mirroring the live servers + the latest patch to be tested, it needs to be constantly available to players to use for testing, and it needs to have incentives to reward players for their time in using the PTS.

Actually there were a lot of people asking for Space combat and space pvp.

I recall there being a player poll in the first year at some point and the poll winner was more space combat. The main complaint at the time being there were no actual "Star Wars." Of course, the players wanted and expected a healthy mix of both PvE and PvP space content off rails. BW developed only one of those initially, but it appears there are Space Flashpoints on the way. So the Space PvE may still be incoming.

A bolstered lvl 30 is not even remotely on point with a lvl 50, gear wise, ability wise any of that.

Obvious troll is obvious.

hmm so one can assume the rise of hutt cartel style expansion we will have to pay for or will it be like makeb is currently where its free for subcribers

I would expect to pay for any expansion. The GSF freebie was a nice gesture by BW. Since I haven't played a minute of it on live though, I doubt I would have purchased that xpac.

Notice how only 1 guy in like 20, if that, said "Great, more GSF stuff"?

lol

ahahahahahahahahahahah

More Juicy Soon™ is the new BW motto

Oh, trust me. I lol'd myself when i wrote that. Im fully aware that BW have neither will nor intention to put any effort into PvP, i just wanted to point out their ongoing broken promises. Makes me feel just a tiny bit better inside ;)

"You can expect new Warzones and PvP content on a regular basis" :rolleyes:

Stop kidding yourself, you are not going to leave SWTOR for Elder Scrolls anymore than people left for Guild Wars 2.

Lets face it, the force with all its jedi and sith will suck you right back here because its the only game where you can be a sith lord. :cool:

Aye, you're completly right. SWTOR haven't lost any significant ammount of subs since release....oh wait

QOL stuff is what is missing from the Roadmap. I'm sure some minor tweaks here/there are coming, but it would be nice to see some specifics attention paid to them by BW... Like...

1) Class BALANCE - (Sage/Sorc L2P/H2F) issues resolved (Yea.. pages of brainstorming and feedback and ???)

2) Crafting Overhaul - Very much overdue

3) Missing LEGACY Gear (Operatives Knife, Three Offhands w/Armor slot, Scoundrel Shotgun)

4) Legacy Improvements (Benefits for a great system that was left hanging for CM)

5) DataCron's Codex/Achievements fixed (How hard is fixing a flipping CODEX Entry.. no really? +10 still MIA)

Meanwhile, going to just knock out 100% operations now for all crap (Now SOME of the Achievements have been fixed). Continue to gear my ALTS I don't use in 78's.. LOL

Would have been nice to see a new BOSS (Like TC Fight) drop the 78 EARPIECE / 78 IMPLANTS that DF/DP RNG screwed up so terribly. This was very annoying to players to get RNG on 2 Implants and then to boot we don't even see Bracers anymore, but BELT on both OPS.. Can't even get that right? Glad to see 16 man HM fixed Grob and we get the right loot drop now.

REQUEST: Can NIM DF please for the LOVE OF ALL players.. have 100% IMPLANT Drop and get rid of that stupid RNG on the first boss? MKay? Thx...

First, thanks for the info. Good to know what to look forward to.

Next, question for Bruce:

In the roadmap, you state wanting to extent time between updates/patches to help cut down on the bugs and other issues that naturally arise from them. I have no problem with the increase in time, but I would ask if part of this plan includes making better use of the PTS to help test these patches and get things fixed? Players have pretty much abandoned the PTS because it seems that even stuff we report doesn't seem to get fixed prior to going to launch, and the fact that the PTS is shut down between the major patches.

Personally speaking, adding a few incentives back (like the PTS titles) would help get more people testing, but more than that, using the PTS as an actual test center would prove even more beneficial. This doesn't just mean testing a specific piece of new content (like an Op or FP), but testing the game as a whole, especially in terms of class balance changes. When you change things in a class, it is equally important to see how those changes not only affect the class in end game, but leveling as well. The PTS can be a boon to helping SWTOR get better, but it needs to be put to good use, and part of that use is ensuring it is mirroring the live servers + the latest patch to be tested, it needs to be constantly available to players to use for testing, and it needs to have incentives to reward players for their time in using the PTS.

Some EXCELLENT feedback. I agree completely. The increased QA on BW side is greatly needed, but PTS has become a complete joke. I used to update/test routinely. Now I just go to check out the new stuff and leave.

Why? Here are some bullet points (Several you made):

• No benefit to players to help TEST what BW Should QA anyways (Titles, Cool Mounts, CC's.. etc)
  • MOST of the bugs still go live (PTS sooner than later is needed? Not the last 3 weeks & buff/deploy)
  • SIZE and download of the PTS. Yea.. note excited having to download a complete 2nd Game on my computer.
  • Instant 55 Kiosk was excellent idea before - Bring it back, add GEAR for 1 credit as well to instant gear up.

Nice to hear them planning to do meaningful updates to the game. Personally I wish they'd put more emphasis on story/questing content, still. Operations and scripted boss fights is not something I personally have any interest in. I could do with a couple of new story planets, though.

My only question would be "Why yet another tier of gear?" Really? Do we need one? Most people don't have want's out there now and we're going to have to just start grinding dailies to upgrade again? That, for me, is the absolutely most frustrating part of this game, period. IT's worse than poorly designed additions to GSF, it's worse than Arenea in PVP (and they are REALLY bad), it's worse than feeling like feedback from testing gets totally ignored.

I dont like new tiers either, it makes all the old content too easy and pretty much usless. 78s make my character pretty tough, go up from there and even oricon will be a joke. Already the few level 55 flashpoints are super easy.

I would much rather see rare drops, titles, more rare mounts, heck maybe even vouchers for rare companions that can be dropped or even purchased with ultimate comms. I know alot of people would grind like no tommorrow to use ultimate comms to unlock a male jedi companion healer.

For me its not the grind that stinks its that my character becomes too powerful and the old content gets left far behind. Which leaves us with a couple flashpoints and couple of ops.

I want more content added to old content not replacing it.

Of course this will never happen and once again we will outlevel eveything and be stuck playing 2 ops and maybe the 2 new flashpoints untill the next set comes out.

Edited by kirorx

I dont like new tiers either, it makes all the old content too easy and pretty much usless. 78s make my character pretty tough, go up from there and even oricon will be a joke. Already the few level 55 flashpoints are super easy.

Yeah, there are like 10,000 reasons why gear progression is a terrible idea that just doesn't seem to want to die in MMOs, but Bioware has already decided to go down this road long before this game opened. I guess the sad truth is that a tier of gear and 2-3 scripted instances are way cheaper to produce than story or open world content. Like you said, it trivializes all prior content, but I guess the reasoning is that players don't want to play that content anymore anyway (mind you that this game doesn't accommodate quest replayability much, so it's not that you even -could-), so the devs don't care that only 3-5% of the content is still relevant at endgame level. *shrug*

They good thing for me is that the endgame gear is super ugly, so I don't want it anyway and can do something fun instead, like leveling another Inquisitor. :p

Hi.

I am glad that we finally have some news and something to look forward to, but i have a request.

I think the community cantinas are too closed. We (people who cant atend) hardly get any info from them. Would it be possible that the content of these cantina events be disclosed on the main website a few days after it happened? A transcripted of the Q&A and information on the contents teased.

I believe it would benefit all the fans of the game and the game itself if the information wasnt so closed off.

Edited by Nemmar

IMO, the best course would be to take all the content (or at least the content after you finish the class story) and make it all adjust for the level of who is doing it. But then they'd have to stop adding layers of gear at the same level (meaning they'd have to plan ahead and actually think it through.) At least this way the dailies and so on would stay somewhat of a challenge instead of being quite a boring.

God knows, as it is now I'll never have characters in 78s. My guild is small and I don't have hours to sit in a queue hoping an Op will pop so I can get a few comms. By the time I had enough to buy anything they'd be three tiers of gear beyond where it was when I started. That makes doing the time in queue and so on really not worth it. I wish BW would think that idea through and look at what people are asking for (which isn't new tiers of gear.)

Oh, trust me. I lol'd myself when i wrote that. Im fully aware that BW have neither will nor intention to put any effort into PvP, i just wanted to point out their ongoing broken promises. Makes me feel just a tiny bit better inside ;)

"You can expect new Warzones and PvP content on a regular basis" :rolleyes:

Aye, you're completly right. SWTOR haven't lost any significant ammount of subs since release....oh wait

There are so many promise that has been forgotten, the list can be so long.

Start from chat bubble, passing to guild support and double spec finishing in PvP and much much more.

Take a look in TWO MONTHS they have realize a REALLY BETTER scoreboard (kill, mvp, stats, earnings, and so on) for the GFS that the PvP one that is there by TWO YEARS.

This is near to be ridiculous, and they told "ehy guys you will se a huttball map annouced 4 months ago!" and we must be happy with this?

They can just say, ok guys PvP team have been reduced and there are just 3/4 person working on it, the rest is on GFS.

And for ESO, as I stated in another topic, the problem is not with the PvE content (that really sucks) but with the PvP one that really sucks on our side. YOU DEVS, MOST OF YOU, are from Mythic you invent RvR, and sieges, and much more!!!! And for this "crap" engine we don't see ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im with ya, i wish they would do some nice things for our guilds and guild leaders.

Guild Calendar on left side of character selection screen at log on

Guild Email to ALL in guild

Guild Recruiter in game, guild apps send an email to the guild leader and they can accept without the person having to be online.

Customizable Guild Ships for meetings

Email to Guild leader when someone joins or leaves the guild

Are just a few things im holding out for.

And STILL no guild content.

NOT BAD??????

Are you kidding?

Again:

- no info on QoL

- no info on some guild features

- no info on crafting

- no new ops until until 2.8?

- no news on PvP?

And you say NOT BAD??? O.o

My biggest concern in being the leader of my guild, is that the new PVE content is not out quick enough and most of my hard core raiders are getting quite bored. The PVP content we try to do is also getting as stale as communion bread. Im loosing player base in this game due to content is becoming stagnant. I know I could guild merge but I like the name of the guild I created and all the time and effort I put into it.

Im with ya, i wish they would do some nice things for our guilds and guild leaders.

Guild Calendar on left side of character selection screen at log on

Guild Email to ALL in guild

Guild Recruiter in game, guild apps send an email to the guild leader and they can accept without the person having to be online.

Customizable Guild Ships for meetings

Email to Guild leader when someone joins or leaves the guild

Are just a few things im holding out for.

You can forget any kind of guild based content....period. I read a transcript of the last cantina event and they were asked several questions about adding guild content (guild mail, guild finder, etc etc) and their answer to every question was......No, its technically impossible or would negatively affect server stability.

Please, please spend more energy on PvP and less on the GSF. I know GSF is the new toy, but there's no connection to the character. Maybe if they make a stronger connection between character and GSF, like you can craft improvements through Cybertech or gain special gear or a special character buff (5% speed bonus or something), then GSF would be worth my time. I've noticed a lot of guild members tried it, liked it, but prefer standard PvP more - feels more personal.

PvP needs some more balancing, to Commandos/Mercs especially. They could use better defensive cds... or maybe, just maybe a cloak/disappearing ability. (yea that will happen and I'll eat my own dung). Most importantly though, PvP needs better match-making through cross-server queueing and matching roles. An Arena match with 4x dps against 2x dps, 2x healers... usually results in 2x dps on the all dps team insta-dropping before the match starts. I find this hard to believe that developers who claim to actually play the game haven't fixed this yet.

I would like to add a thanks to the BW team on being up front with their plans for this year. They seem realistic and attainable and I appreciate that. Appreciate new storylines, but please don't forget to add more class storylines as well. I like my Sith storyline to be about the Sith and my Trooper storyline to be about a soldier's life; not some watered-down in between.

NOT BAD??????

Are you kidding?

Again:

- no info on QoL

- no info on some guild features

- no info on crafting

- no new ops until until 2.8?

- no news on PvP?

And you say NOT BAD??? O.o

My biggest concern in being the leader of my guild, is that the new PVE content is not out quick enough and most of my hard core raiders are getting quite bored. The PVP content we try to do is also getting as stale as communion bread. Im loosing player base in this game due to content is becoming stagnant. I know I could guild merge but I like the name of the guild I created and all the time and effort I put into it.

I've noticed the same thing in our guild... and it's making it harder to raid/Ops. I have little faith that GSF will prevent boredom or bring in players who will stay.