Has cartel packs and adaptive armor killed off synthweaving and armortech?

Ziffius

Cartel market pretty much ruined crafting in this game and greatly changed the economy. They should have redone the crafting system after free to play came out.

Completely disagree with this assessment.

Even before the CM and F2P Armormech and Synthweaving were all but limited to augments and augment slot kits. As someone else pointed out pre-augment slot kits, AM and SW armor with augment slots were desired but honestly slot kits are more profitable :).

Yes the number of desirable items is miniscule compared to the total number of items available, but those markets are highly lucrative. I only craft grade 28 stuff (both blue and purple) and I have a hard time keeping up with demand.

For some parts of it YES, dead as a dodo (crafted Orange and 49+ for example). I exclude Augments and kits as everyone knows they sell.

But levelling characters and companions the market for crafted armour is pretty strong. If you think about it every set of Orange armour takes 7 Armouring's, 9 Mods and 7 Enhancements. That is 23 item's to craft or buy and those can be updated every 3 levels. So unless your super rich your levelling characters wear crafted armour or the ones you can buy with planet coms. Most players don't equip cartel armours until they hit mid 40's or higher levels. That means there is a strong market for crafted between I would say level 15-43. If you can keep the price between 10-20k a bit they will sell all day long. The strongest part of the market is for armour in the 30's, it gets very expensive in materials to craft anything at this level if your not gathering yourself and prices reflect this.

Edited by abercromb

For some parts of it YES, dead as a dodo (crafted Orange and 49+ for example). I exclude Augments and kits as everyone knows they sell.

But levelling characters and companions the market for crafted armour is pretty strong. If you think about it every set of Orange armour takes 7 Armouring's, 9 Mods and 7 Enhancements. That is 23 item's to craft or buy and those can be updated every 3 levels. So unless your super rich your levelling characters wear crafted armour or the ones you can buy with planet coms. Most players don't equip cartel armours until they hit mid 40's or higher levels. That means there is a strong market for crafted between I would say level 15-43. If you can keep the price between 10-20k a bit they will sell all day long. The strongest part of the market is for armour in the 30's, it gets very expensive in materials to craft anything at this level if your not gathering yourself and prices reflect this.

It is not so expensive if you use commendations to buy mods/enhancements and only craft armorings ... even with bought mats it is wort once per 4 levels (blue ones) compared to prices of all 7 items once per 4 levels, if you gather - 14 per mat is something like 2-4 missions... easy if you have 2 scavengers and UTs.

And 4 levels are something like 60 comms if you do some H2/H4 - you could even gear you companion :)

Buying blue armors is for those that have no skills or are on 1st char - but how much credits they have... my 1st and 2nd chars was only on quest armors (not that there was CM or many modable ones at game start).

It is not so expensive if you use commendations to buy mods/enhancements and only craft armorings ... even with bought mats it is wort once per 4 levels (blue ones) compared to prices of all 7 items once per 4 levels, if you gather - 14 per mat is something like 2-4 missions... easy if you have 2 scavengers and UTs.

And 4 levels are something like 60 comms if you do some H2/H4 - you could even gear you companion :)

Buying blue armors is for those that have no skills or are on 1st char - but how much credits they have... my 1st and 2nd chars was only on quest armors (not that there was CM or many modable ones at game start).

The blue armour people pick up usually lasts them a few levels, if it's purple you can get away with up to 10 levels before everything starts killing you. Using planet com's to buy mods/enhancements on the other hand is tough while your levelling. It's very difficult to keep up doing it that way. Even if you gather and learn to craft armourings yourself. That still leaves you with 9 mods and 7 enhancements to buy every planet. I think that works out at 32 com's worth, so much more than most people get.

But as you say your 1st and 2nd characters used quest armours dropped in game. When I remember back, I did the same and bought off the GTN and that is why they still sell today.

The blue armour people pick up usually lasts them a few levels, if it's purple you can get away with up to 10 levels before everything starts killing you. Using planet com's to buy mods/enhancements on the other hand is tough while your levelling. It's very difficult to keep up doing it that way. Even if you gather and learn to craft armourings yourself. That still leaves you with 9 mods and 7 enhancements to buy every planet. I think that works out at 32 com's worth, so much more than most people get.

But as you say your 1st and 2nd characters used quest armours dropped in game. When I remember back, I did the same and bought off the GTN and that is why they still sell today.

Greens - 2 levels, blue 4, purple 6.

32 commendations for 4 levels are an issue, sorry but usually I collect near 50 for those 4 levels - fleet pass, next planet vendor - items.

They sell I know, my wonder was how profitable that is... related to augments for example.

Its a pretty straight forward question. As the market is now flooded with adaptive armor for next to nothing "if you dont mind looking like a frogdog reject etc". What is the point of taking armortech or synthweaving as a skill. The cost you would need to sell the item to recoup costs would be far higher than the free items that come from cartel packs and wherever the other stuff comes from.

So far I've geared up all my companions in cheap-free adaptive armor plus the oranges that come from questing, just seems to me like the above mentioned skills are dead! :(

It has killed the armor crafting part of Synthweaving and Armormech.

There are, however:

- Augments

- Augmentation Kits (1-9)

- Battlemaster / War Hero gear

- A few unique sets

and you can make a LOT of credits from those things alone (mostly Augments/Kits)

If I wanted to I could be making close to 600-800k per day on my Synthweaving and my Armormech characters, but I don't really need any more credits since I'm close to 200mil and there is nothing I want to spend them on.

Edited by TheNahash