No MMO has come close to SWG's community-orientation

Clinical

Fixed that for you. Player cities was one of the worst ideas ever. Specially when the people started quitting and those cities became abandoned.

They left because of CU and NGE. Those cities were all PACKED until about 24 hours after these downgrades came out.

Especially NGE.

Edited by AriochX

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really was the community that made that game so easily to love playing. I didnt play everyday to run on foot from Bestine to Wayfar or keep doing that walk many times daily while waiting for mounts and vehicles. It wasnt because I had to play for a year to unlock Jedi.

It was because I was frineds with the people I was playing with. The people I met in the game.

We built cities together for our guilds and had a real economy that REALLY was player driven.

These two things alone would lock in players for a very long time if they were implemented into SWTOR.

I did meet new friends in the cantinas and the buff lines, but I hated being forced to go to these areas and sit through the loooong wait. I can do without that.

But I would love to be able to work on guild projects like cities or PvP bases again.

I was also thinking if you could give characters decoratable apartments in cities to store their things and meet with friends that it would be a great thing!

Other than adding these things, this game has nailed what SWG missed! I wish we could combine the two. :(

Death to WOW! Let the reign of SWTOR begin!

this

I'll admit I would rather have the buffing though again. Yeah it's an inconvenience when you do it a lot. However I remember I met a lot of friends through that too, hell my closest gamer friend that I still regularly talk to to this day and played WoW with until WOTLK I originally met in 04 giving out doctor buffs and gave me a surprise 50% discount since I got a lot of buffs from him, talked to him a bit and boom friends.

Stuff like that, while an inconvenience for some, added to the socialization thing.

Edited by Clinical

There's a point where reminiscing turns into whining.

It's fine to feel nostalgic about the day's of yore and all that you loved about them, really it is :) It's just annoying when people start to reminisce about those times like nothing bad ever happened in them; or if it did, people play it off that a singular event made everything awful. It turns into whining when people constantly refer to SWG as the "Golden Years" of Lucas Arts Entertainment. I don't say this to be mean or cruel but as a point of fact: The SWG days are over, the servers used for it have been shut down and are most likely being recycled for other projects.

Star Wars the Old Republic is the newest in the Lucas Arts franchise, it's just been released. You old time+y bastards need to start realizing that a lot of the content you liked about SWG is already in, or is going to make it's way into this new version of the game in some form. Will it ever be exactly like SWG, probably not. Hopefully it will be better.

Also, If the SWG platform was so great and the community really was as awesome as your memory recalls, why wouldn't you try to keep it alive by re-building it in the form of an emulator? People in other MMO's are doing just that. The Matrix Online has a barely functional world. Earth and Beyond Online has something similar going for it too. You and the "community" should put your money where your mouth is and do something to keep SWG alive if you really cared for it as much as you say you do/did.

There's a point where reminiscing turns into whining.

It's fine to feel nostalgic about the day's of yore and all that you loved about them, really it is :) It's just annoying when people start to reminisce about those times like nothing bad ever happened in them; or if it did, people play it off that a singular event made everything awful. It turns into whining when people constantly refer to SWG as the "Golden Years" of Lucas Arts Entertainment. I don't say this to be mean or cruel but as a point of fact: The SWG days are over, the servers used for it have been shut down and are most likely being recycled for other projects.

Star Wars the Old Republic is the newest in the Lucas Arts franchise, it's just been released. You old time+y bastards need to start realizing that a lot of the content you liked about SWG is already in, or is going to make it's way into this new version of the game in some form. Will it ever be exactly like SWG, probably not. Hopefully it will be better.

Also, If the SWG platform was so great and the community really was as awesome as your memory recalls, why wouldn't you try to keep it alive by re-building it in the form of an emulator? People in other MMO's are doing just that. The Matrix Online has a barely functional world. Earth and Beyond Online has something similar going for it too. You and the "community" should put your money where your mouth is and do something to keep SWG alive if you really cared for it as much as you say you do/did.

I know I've said it in like 20 other posts in this thread, but I did not post this glorifying everything that was SWG, I brought up many of its huge flaws. Don't feel like going through that again.

This thread is talking about the community aspect, not saying that SWG as a whole was oh so amazing.

SWG deserved to be shut down, it was a shell of a butchered game these past years.

Making an observation =/= whining

• 4 weeks later...
I know I've said it in like 20 other posts in this thread, but I did not post this glorifying everything that was SWG, I brought up many of its huge flaws. Don't feel like going through that again.

This thread is talking about the community aspect, not saying that SWG as a whole was oh so amazing.

SWG deserved to be shut down, it was a shell of a butchered game these past years.

Making an observation =/= whining

I wasn't speaking directly to any one particular person (at the time Clinical), there were no quotes used to point out any specific individual's comments. That was a blanket statement meant to include everyone that constantly refers to SWG as "the best game ever" or "SW:tOR is horrible and this is why..." posts. We know the game is flawed. Like every other MMO that starts out they need time to mature and correct themselves based on community feedback and developer programming.

Meanwhile it shouldn't come as a surprise that often times developers listen to the community and have been known to hire people from said community to work with them on those issues. In the few examples that are on random forums in different MMO's the people that were selected to work with these studios had a major hand in contributing to the betterment of the game. Both in pointing out flaws and giving suggestions on fixes.

If you want to point out the flaws, point them out to your hearts content. But don't be 'that guy' that says what they don't like 'x', 'y', or 'z' about the game, without offering something to help fix it.

If you have offered ideas on fixes then it should be obvious this comment isn't meant for you. For everyone else that isn't giving ideas/suggestions on how to fix the way something is currently implemented in-game, it should be fairly obvious these people aren't making observations, it comes off as game bashing.

Edited by ImperialRebel

Yeh SWG, don't we miss it all.. And most have given up on SWGEmu ever turning into something, and even if it does, it's like a 10 year old game revived. Nice, but, well, same old same old...

I think they could have done with some SWG'ish stuff in SWTOR though... such as....

Non-combat Classes

Ditch the companions, or use them for (combat) support only. Choose your own crafting class or Entertainer or Doc.. Bring back the hourly hanging around in cantinas or in buff lines just for the heck of it or to prepare for some heroic battle.. OMG yes!

Player Cities

OMG, we gotta have houses and a city! YES! It will create a new community, one could have shops with Vendors (use companions to run your store?!) and special drops for decorating your house.. Wouldn't that just rock? In SWG we somehow spent more time "hanging out together" than actually doing something :-)

Giev complexer skill trees

This whole "WoWish" simplified skilling is just a nuisance, I mean, 3 trees, pick one and you have little or no options to divert from them.. More combinations so that people can customize their class. SWG was cool, you could combine lots of stuff to stack your defense/offense..

POI's/Exploring/Camping

Seems everyone just hangs around the Fleet until a Flashpoint starts..BORING, let's wait in major towns or go camping and kill those Rancors for uber crafting mats. .wohooo

Creatures

GIEV CREATURE HANDLERS, Nof said!

whoohohoooo SWG rocked.

I dont understand why some plp still denies that SWG subscriptions were running an unstoppable freefall to zero before CU and other changes. The game was just a brief success, soon eclipsed by other games, and (probably) it survived beyond WoW just cause they did CU and other changes. aditionally, it had a long (yet minimalistic) survival (eight years).